Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Live No-Limit Hold’em Cash Discussion of no-limit hold’em live cash games of all stakes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 02:25 AM   #17601
Maskk
veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DC Area
Posts: 2,083
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelsi View Post
I lost 11BI in one 5hr sesh at 1/3 about a week ago. Nothing too out of the ordinary.


Holy crap. Are those 100bb each?

Even I tapped out around 500-600bb losses.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maskk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:44 AM   #17602
Dochrohan
Pooh-Bah
 
Dochrohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Somewhere else
Posts: 4,194
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

I've had 10BI+ losses, but under very rare circumstances.

PLO being one of those.
Dochrohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #17603
cAmmAndo
The Situation
 
cAmmAndo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philly
Posts: 4,712
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelsi View Post
I lost 11BI in one 5hr sesh at 1/3 about a week ago. Nothing too out of the ordinary.

^^^
You got spunk kid I'll give you that
cAmmAndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #17604
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,371
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edpoker123 View Post
why do I think I am a winning player. Because when I enter a casino 9/10 times I come out a winner.
As G says above, highly doubtful (which is actually being fairly kind).

OP, two of your posts have already set off red flags. Based on that alone (as that's all I have to go by), I would suggest not playing poker until you can afford to lose whatever BIs you plan to play with.

Ggoodluck!G
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:57 PM   #17605
YGOchamp
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,517
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

I've lost 1k bb's plenty of times, but never bought in 10 times
YGOchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:54 PM   #17606
johnny_on_the_spot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnny_on_the_spot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: S-Mart
Posts: 10,922
*** Official Winrates, bankrolls, and finances ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edpoker123 View Post
why do I think I am a winning player. Because when I enter a casino 9/10 times I come out a winner.


Winning % is a pointless metric. Any of us could walk into a casino, play for a half hour/hour/2hours and then leave and have a 90% winning percentage.

You also stated you turned 2 BI to 10 BI, that's not really impressive and doesn't prove much because:

Either it took you a small amount of time and you're winrate was impressive but over a small sample size, so statistically insignificant

-or-

If you have a significant sample size, in which case your winrate would be tiny, and not proof that your a winner


Regardless, playing with 1-2 BIs and expecting good results will be difficult
johnny_on_the_spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #17607
homerdash
banned
 
homerdash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: desert
Posts: 6,062
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

That's one feature of RunGood I've been enjoying, being able to define a "break even" session as between +/- a certain number of BBs, mine is set at 10bb, any other thoughts?
homerdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:52 PM   #17608
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,371
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerdash View Post
That's one feature of RunGood I've been enjoying, being able to define a "break even" session as between +/- a certain number of BBs, mine is set at 10bb, any other thoughts?
Seems totally arbitrary as well as totally dependent on session length

If you lost 10bb in 10 minutes, hardly a "breakeven" session. If you lost 10bb over a 20 hour session, fairly "breakeven".

I've booked exactly 2 breakeven sessions in 398 1/3 NL sessions.

Gbutitistotallyarbitrary,sowhocaresG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:10 PM   #17609
iraisetoomuch
banned
 
iraisetoomuch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,453
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerdash View Post
That's one feature of RunGood I've been enjoying, being able to define a "break even" session as between +/- a certain number of BBs, mine is set at 10bb, any other thoughts?
Hypothetical situation:
You are a rec player and you only get to play 1 hour a day, 6 days a week.
These are your results for 4 week. Which do you feel the best about?

A) 3 10bb wins and 3 10bb losses
B) 6 break even wins (exactly break even)
C) 1 50bb win and 5 10bb losses
D) 5 10bb wins and 1 50bb loss

When looks back at them from a stats perspective, which one do you think shows your 'best' or 'average' or 'normal' performance?

Once you've decided what your choice is:

Spoiler:
iraisetoomuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:28 PM   #17610
zoltan
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
zoltan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Off my lawn you little punk!
Posts: 21,444
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerdash View Post
That's one feature of RunGood I've been enjoying, being able to define a "break even" session as between +/- a certain number of BBs, mine is set at 10bb, any other thoughts?
I find 123bb to be reasonable.
zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:47 PM   #17611
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_on_the_spot View Post
Winning % is a pointless metric. Any of us could walk into a casino, play for a half hour/hour/2hours and then leave and have a 90% winning percentage.

You also stated you turned 2 BI to 10 BI, that's not really impressive and doesn't prove much because:

Either it took you a small amount of time and you're winrate was impressive but over a small sample size, so statistically insignificant

-or-

If you have a significant sample size, in which case your winrate would be tiny, and not proof that your a winner


Regardless, playing with 1-2 BIs and expecting good results will be difficult
Sure, but what if you dont do that? What if you play more or less the same 4-6 hour sessions every time you play no matter how you are doing, and your winning percentage is super high? You're not trying to make it super high It just is. Its not so meaningless anymore.

Of course, we are still trying to win the most money, not the most sessions, but if 2 people both win the same amount of money after 100 sessions and neither is trying to inflate the win %, then Id rather be the guy with smaller but more consistent wins than the guy with big wins and big losses.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:55 PM   #17612
Jkpoker10
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,197
1-2 live bankroll advice

Hey, just want some advice on 1-2 bankroll advice. A new casino is opening near me and I plan to grind 1-2 nlhe once a week (prolly Friday or Saturday nights bc action for cash games seems best those nights). I have a goal of trying to grind to a 2-5 bankroll of 10k or go busto.

Is 2k enough if I play one night a week and add say 50-60 bucks to my
Roll on a weekly basis? I assume yes bc 1-2 is soft and I'm not playing too often. I plan on buying for max of 300 and bringing 100-200 dollars every session if I need to reload my stack.

I plan to play super nitty and only nut peddle. I'm a solid tourny player but need work on my deep stack play so I plan to just play super nitty. Thanks for any bankroll advice!
Jkpoker10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:57 PM   #17613
bwslim69
I'm a Diva, Bruh
 
bwslim69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: TPS reports
Posts: 24,038
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

It's a pointless metric


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bwslim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #17614
homerdash
banned
 
homerdash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: desert
Posts: 6,062
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwslim69 View Post
It's a pointless metric


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


look at you go Winrates, bankrolls, and financesWinrates, bankrolls, and finances
homerdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:09 PM   #17615
johnny_on_the_spot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnny_on_the_spot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: S-Mart
Posts: 10,922
*** Official Winrates, bankrolls, and finances ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
Sure, but what if you dont do that? What if you play more or less the same 4-6 hour sessions every time you play no matter how you are doing, and your winning percentage is super high? You're not trying to make it super high It just is. Its not so meaningless anymore.


If someone played the same session or went in most sessions with a time goal and hit it and stopped regardless of being up or down, it becomes less worthless, but how many people actually do that? GG sounds like he does that but he even pointed out he tapped out early in the session with the maniac. Most don't do that though. A common trait among players is to keep playing if they're stuck until they are unstuck or just have to leave for whatever reason. Another common trait among players is to leave to lock up a win.

So, yes I do agree with you, I just don't think it's done in practice often. If those players do exist, their WR% is more useful
johnny_on_the_spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:01 PM   #17616
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

I dont know. In the grand scheme of poker players, there arent very many who even use an app or track anything. Of the people who do use an app and track their stats, I would think most of them are serious players who either:
A) are pros
B) are serious part timers.

I guess if youre single this may not apply, but the pros I know are married and they play a set schedule that fits their lives and their family's lives. For example: I like to start around noon and play until 5-6 and be home for dinner. It doesnt matter if I win or lose, I come home for dinner almost all the time. Im not going to quit at 3PM because I have a win locked up. If I leave that early its because my back is bothering me or my wifes car broke down or whatever other life things get in the way.

For the serious part timers, they have jobs so they play when they can. If they get to the poker room on Saturday to play, are they really going to quit after 2 hours just to book a win when they have another 4 free hours?

I can see people who planned to play until 5PM quitting at 4:30 to book a win but beyond that? If they do that then they probably do all kinds of dumb things like not entering a session in their app when they lose so all of their stats are probably meaningless
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:10 PM   #17617
johnny_on_the_spot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnny_on_the_spot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: S-Mart
Posts: 10,922
*** Official Winrates, bankrolls, and finances ***

What do you think the ratio of single pros to married pros is?


How many times do part timers that can only play on weekends decide to stay to try to get unstuck because they can't play until next weekend?
johnny_on_the_spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:18 PM   #17618
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_on_the_spot View Post
What do you think the ratio of single pros to married pros is?


How many times do part timers that can only play on weekends decide to stay to try to get unstuck because they can't play until next weekend?
I get your point, but if they are pros they should know better than to stay longer to get unstuck or leave early to book a win. Those guys are good pros so again, theres no telling what else they do to manipulate their stats.

I guess comparing win % stats on a forum like this may be useless, but comparing it between my friends who I know are serious pros is not.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:21 PM   #17619
DK Barrel
Concept of the Week author
 
DK Barrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: no gamble, no future
Posts: 6,798
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_on_the_spot View Post
What do you think the ratio of single pros to married pros is?


How many times do part timers that can only play on weekends decide to stay to try to get unstuck because they can't play until next weekend?
I did become a lot more tilted at first about losing sessions when I started doing the weekend warrior thing. Part of it was knowing it could be weeks or months before I got "unstuck" and the other part was knowing in the meantime I'd be spending dozens of hours at work to make what I lost in five.

Doesn't bother me so much anymore but there is that side.
DK Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:36 PM   #17620
johnny_on_the_spot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnny_on_the_spot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: S-Mart
Posts: 10,922
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
I get your point, but if they are pros they should know better than to stay longer to get unstuck or leave early to book a win. Those guys are good pros so again, theres no telling what else they do to manipulate their stats.



I guess comparing win % stats on a forum like this may be useless, but comparing it between my friends who I know are serious pros is not.


Agreed on both points
johnny_on_the_spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #17621
XXX555666
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Hey guys, probably a dumb question but I've been thinking about this for awhile I have about 2500 bucks I can risk for playing 1/3 poker because I am a student who will be graduating this may with NO student loans. I know that 2500 is way too small to be an "official" bankroll for 1/3 however I just love poker and enjoy playing about every other weekend while In college. Do you guys recommend I try and save up money to get about 6k-7k in my role before I start playing? It's hard for me to save like I said as a student and I just enjoy playing even though I'm under rolled. Also, I buy in for 210 or 70BB each session and only bring one buy in with me. Please everyone give me feedback on this situation! Really been thinking about it for awhile
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:35 PM   #17622
iraisetoomuch
banned
 
iraisetoomuch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,453
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

The short answer is that you can start playing now.
But you will be more likely to go busto then you were if you had more money.
With 10 buy ins you have a reasonable cushion, and you will often be fine.
If you're going to be slowly adding to your roll as life permits, just start playing now.
iraisetoomuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:36 PM   #17623
feel wrath
The Situation
 
feel wrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: lost on the turn
Posts: 23,866
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard32 View Post
Hey guys, probably a dumb question but I've been thinking about this for awhile I have about 2500 bucks I can risk for playing 1/3 poker because I am a student who will be graduating this may with NO student loans. I know that 2500 is way too small to be an "official" bankroll for 1/3 however I just love poker and enjoy playing about every other weekend while In college. Do you guys recommend I try and save up money to get about 6k-7k in my role before I start playing? It's hard for me to save like I said as a student and I just enjoy playing even though I'm under rolled. Also, I buy in for 210 or 70BB each session and only bring one buy in with me. Please everyone give me feedback on this situation! Really been thinking about it for awhile


If it's money you can risk without destroying your life and prospects and you enjoy playing poker, then go ahead and enjoy playing poker

Good luck - I hope you run well.
feel wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:00 PM   #17624
prairiebreeze
Pooh-Bah
 
prairiebreeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Saskatchewan. Don't @ me.
Posts: 3,560
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbledygeek View Post
Congrats!



7 bb/hr is tough. And since it sounds like you'll be playing a rather lol sample size this year, it's really just going to come down whether you run well.



Ggoodluck!G

So the first session of 2017 I won 500BB in 4 hours. I quit for 2017! LOL


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
prairiebreeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:03 PM   #17625
Dream
old hand
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,289
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Jesus, anyone starting 2017 off in the hole?

3 sessions, 21 hours, -$1230 at 1/2.

-600

-230

-400

6 buyins at 1/2, yuck.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive