Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Live No-Limit Hold’em Cash Discussion of no-limit hold’em live cash games of all stakes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 10:24 PM   #17551
mikko
veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,863
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by cAmmAndo View Post
Wait a week and bring 4 bi IMO.
Don't like this advice. To someone asking how much to start with.

4 BI is alot to lose in 1 session. If he has small roll. With expendable income. 2 or 3 max buy-in, while you get your feet wet is plenty.

4 BI, is fine for proven winner....but even then, playing "A" game down 3 buyins, is rare talent

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
mikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:34 PM   #17552
VolumeKing
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 729
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Played 1100hrs and made $32k

Made $25k the first quarter ,then went on a long break even stretch. I took about three months off as well
VolumeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:42 PM   #17553
Tiltyjoker
Pooh-Bah
 
Tiltyjoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Triple double; no assists
Posts: 4,608
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Went on a 51 session heater for 2016. (Only really got to play once a week).

36/51 (70.5 % cash rate). +9BB/hr . Only played NL Holdem between 2/5 and 10/10.

For 2017 I want to:
1.) Try and play atleast 2 sessions a week.
2.) Try and play/improve PLO (a lot of the soft spots are moving over to play PLO)
3.) Clean up my post flop play. Made a bunch of bad decisions that unnecessarily put me in difficult spots... which ended up having me lose more $ / win less $.
4.) Seat and table change more. It's something I never really do. It's a mix of being lazy and not playing super long sessions. But it's obviously something that's important.
5.) Study more mixed limit games. Not sure if most of your rooms have regular higher limit mixed games (75/150 - 200/400). But they generally appear to be the best game in the house.
6.) Continue to pay time and tip out of pocket and not stack (even though most people didn't like the idea).
7.) CONTINUE TO RUN GOOD!

Last edited by Tiltyjoker; 01-04-2017 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Deleted Graph and #'s
Tiltyjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:20 PM   #17554
cAmmAndo
The Situation
 
cAmmAndo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philly
Posts: 4,712
*** Official Winrates, bankrolls, and finances ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikko View Post
Don't like this advice. To someone asking how much to start with.

4 BI is alot to lose in 1 session. If he has small roll. With expendable income. 2 or 3 max buy-in, while you get your feet wet is plenty.

4 BI, is fine for proven winner....but even then, playing "A" game down 3 buyins, is rare talent

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Playing 2bi 2nd nut lo. You can't even top off without being scared money.

3bi with top off chips allows you to rip it in when you should.

It's not about losing 4 bi. It's about being able to lose 1 or 2 and still play correctly.
cAmmAndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:24 PM   #17555
mikko
veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,863
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by cAmmAndo View Post
Playing 2bi 2nd nut lo. You can't even top off without being scared money.

3bi with top off chips allows you to rip it in when you should.

It's not about losing 4 bi. It's about being able to lose 1 or 2 and still play correctly.
Nut low for most. I would agree

Playing second half session with short stack.

Isn't end of world for someone figuring out, where they fit in.

Keep in mind. If he is a winner. The bankroll will come on it's own. Doesn't need 4BI to figure it out.

4BI allows you to reach your max WR.

That is not something newer players need to worry about. They need to figure out if they can see and find edges.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
mikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:43 PM   #17556
knivesout
hot gay mess
 
knivesout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 5,186
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

My 2016 as a 9-5er and part time player.

$12,421 - $20.36/hr (610 hours, 128 bb SDV, 98% 1/3, rest is 1/2 and one 2/5 session)
$12,900 - Bink a bad beat promotion (easy game)
-$1,895 - I suck at tournaments

Total: $23,417

I finally moved to Vegas a month ago, something I've wanted to do for a long time. Still have a 9-5er though, no desire to try it full time. Had a really solid first month here and pretty much love it so far.

Goals for 2017:

800 hours cash
Continue studying and try to reach 2/5 full time
$20k profit
Only brick one tourney per month
Bink another bad beat

Last edited by knivesout; 01-04-2017 at 11:50 PM.
knivesout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:45 AM   #17557
Maskk
veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DC Area
Posts: 2,083
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy22 View Post
The guy that might be the best player in my room plays a similar style. Very passive pre. Seems to check back a lot of flops and then will raise the turn pretty often. I dont understand what hes doing half the time but he always has a monster stack and he very rarely loses a big pot. He just seems to generally know if hes ahead or not and is able to make thin raises / big folds with bigtime accuracy


This sounds like my style at LLSNL to the uninitiated. But a bit more aggressive postflop, a bit goofier table antics, and not quite as good (I'm a winner, usually build a big stack, but take some rough body blows from time to time, aka spew).

Instead of EP limping JJ, if your game is passive pre, I recommend raising your pps and an occasional suited broadway to 2-3bb in EP. Keeps most 3balls (if they happen) reasonable as well as doing great things for ease of manipulating pot size upwards if you nail an overpair or set.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maskk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:30 AM   #17558
cuserounder
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
cuserounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 8,201
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Crusher View Post
To start just bring $400 and track as he builds his roll up through his job.
+1

When you can replenish and you're at 1/2, you don't have to worry about bankroll management as much until you've built one and figured out if you're a winning player.

Tell him to use some of that leftover $100 on a couple of books or something to improve his game. If he's a smart guy with gambling discipline, that should be enough to make him a winner.
cuserounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:45 AM   #17559
homerdash
banned
 
homerdash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: desert
Posts: 6,062
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

for books, Harrington on Cash series are the best to start with for 1/2. Don't remember the strat being outdated at this point like the tournament books are.

The main reason I suggest them is they outline why being nitty in a cash game is usually correct, I remember a section about overplaying TPTK and getting stacked which seems so important for a (assumedly) new player.
homerdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #17560
Maskk
veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DC Area
Posts: 2,083
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerdash View Post
for books, Harrington on Cash series are the best to start with for 1/2. Don't remember the strat being outdated at this point like the tournament books are.

The main reason I suggest them is they outline why being nitty in a cash game is usually correct, I remember a section about overplaying TPTK and getting stacked which seems so important for a (assumedly) new player.


No such thing as overplaying TPtK!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maskk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:31 PM   #17561
DeathCabForTootie
Pooh-Bah
 
DeathCabForTootie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SHR Tunaments
Posts: 5,722
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Can someone else post a damn picture so I don't have to see my piss poor stats every time this thread pops up on my Tapatalk?
DeathCabForTootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #17562
VolumeKing
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 729
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances






Monthly results- hours and profit

Jan- 243 hours and $3490
Feb- 146 hours and $11605
Mar- 186 hours and $8117
April- 27 hours and -$4392
May- 5 hours and -$191
June- 73 hours and -$130


July- 23 hours and -$250
August- ????

between July and August I played 120hours and made about $3200 but I dont have the sessions logged


Sept- 57 hours and -$729
Oct- 21 hours and $1939
Nov- 2 hours and $65
Dec- 196 hours and $8663


Ended the year with 980 hours of 2/5 ($31500 profit = $32hr) and about 130hours of other games like 1/2 1/3 some PLO and some 5/10

Last edited by VolumeKing; 01-06-2017 at 07:57 PM.
VolumeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:48 PM   #17563
Edpoker123
newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 33
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Hi everyone, I currently play 1/2 live poker at local casinos. Took a break for a few months, looking to get back at grinding. Problem is I only have 2 buyins I can afford to lose. I am a winning player. Last year I grinded 2 buyins up to 10buyins before using the money for something. I only grind live is 2 buyins enough to get back to grinding ? your thoughts, thank you.
Edpoker123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:33 AM   #17564
feel wrath
The Situation
 
feel wrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: lost on the turn
Posts: 23,927
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edpoker123 View Post
Hi everyone, I currently play 1/2 live poker at local casinos. Took a break for a few months, looking to get back at grinding. Problem is I only have 2 buyins I can afford to lose. I am a winning player. Last year I grinded 2 buyins up to 10buyins before using the money for something. I only grind live is 2 buyins enough to get back to grinding ? your thoughts, thank you.


If you can afford to lose the money, take a shot and hope you run good.

If you can't afford to lose the money, spend it on something else or find a way to make more of a bankroll before getting back to poker seriously

And if you read any 200 post chunk in this thread, you'll also appreciate that running 2 buyins up to 10 buyins doesn't necessarily mean you're a winning player.

I hope you are - it seems you're off to a good start. Good luck
feel wrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:07 PM   #17565
BlueClaw
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: in the pot
Posts: 34
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Wondering what people's tips/hr. rates look like. I don't currently track tips but did over a 100 hr sample last year at 2/5 and was around $7/hr. (was winning 9bb/hr over that sample). drinks etc.. not included in this

Also, any dealer-tipping philosophies to share?
BlueClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:15 PM   #17566
YGOchamp
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,525
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

God, I don't even want to think about how much I tip/hr

Because frankly I'm "somewhat" conservative and still tip a bunch/hr longrun (I'll tip $2-5 on big pots but if I 3bet pre or cbet a single raised pot I usually don't tip), and I cant really tip any less than I do (I mean I can but its important to have good relationships w/ the floor and dealers).

$5-8/hr prob seems right, meaning I'm spending ~10k+/year in tips. It's probably more than that though

Also spend around $3/day tipping waitresses for drinks
YGOchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:15 PM   #17567
Angrist
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,884
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

There's an entire tipping containment thread for that discussion. It sometimes gets rather heated too.

I tip $1/hand won that saw a flop (unless it's some screwy $100+ pot that gets taken down pre), no idea what that equates to per hour as I haven't tracked and it varies an awful lot with how the game conditions are. Don't buy much in the way of drinks at the table, but will tip the waitress $1 if I do get something.
Angrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:27 PM   #17568
McSkinny
journeyman
 
McSkinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 347
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

A bit late but here are my 2016 results. This is the first year I played live as I used to play online until around 2013 where I switched from online poker to online csgo skin sports betting as a side income while going to school. I was a little rusty at first when I came back to poker and I find the game super slow/boring at times as I used to play mostly heads up and some 6max, but the live environment is pretty fun and makes it easy to play longer hours compared to online where I would get burnt out after playing for 1-2 hours. I took a break from March-August as I was low on cash after buying a car and was busy with csgo betting, and came back after the unregulated skin betting sites were shut down. I would say overall I ran and played well and hopefully I can hit 1000 hours in 2017.

McSkinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:17 PM   #17569
YGOchamp
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,525
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerdash View Post
I remember a section about overplaying TPTK and getting stacked which seems so important for a (assumedly) new player.
uhhh....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maskk View Post
No such thing as overplaying TPtK!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^this

If you're playing ~100bb or less in a 1/2 or 1/3 game, tptk is such an easy GII (on most disconnected board textures ofc, not AK on KQJ....)

people are just so aweful, they'll stick it in with TT on K94r for stacks, and if they have KJ "WOW WHAT A COOLER"
YGOchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:20 PM   #17570
Maskk
veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DC Area
Posts: 2,083
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOchamp View Post
uhhh....









^this



If you're playing ~100bb or less in a 1/2 or 1/3 game, tptk is such an easy GII (on most disconnected board textures ofc, not AK on KQJ....)



people are just so aweful, they'll stick it in with TT on K94r for stacks, and if they have KJ "WOW WHAT A COOLER"


One caveat. You need a loose/non-nitty vibe to get that action.
Players over adjust live way too much. OMC and Gibraltar rocks, regardless of age, get folds were active dudes will get lots of calls.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maskk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #17571
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOchamp View Post
uhhh....




^this

If you're playing ~100bb or less in a 1/2 or 1/3 game, tptk is such an easy GII (on most disconnected board textures ofc, not AK on KQJ....)

people are just so aweful, they'll stick it in with TT on K94r for stacks, and if they have KJ "WOW WHAT A COOLER"
Wasnt it you that was calling someone out saying their win rate was a lie? If youre getting it in without a second thought with TPTK I can see why your win rate isnt higher. And if you are getting it in for stacks with TPTK regularly and winning the vast majority of them, then your win rate should be sky high. Something isnt right here.

If I won a stack 90% of the times I had TPTK and lost a stack 10% of the time, my win rate would be 30BB/hr.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:12 PM   #17572
YGOchamp
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,525
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
Wasnt it you that was calling someone out saying their win rate was a lie?
Its hilarious that you bothered posting that instead of going back and seeing if it was or was not me (like dude, it's not even 5 pages back)

No, it was not. In fact, it's the exact opposite, I was the person calling out Bodybuilder (who was claiming they were a lie), telling him those WR's were easily achievable.

I'll just ignore the rest of your post since it was predicated on an incorrect assumption.
YGOchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:21 PM   #17573
YGOchamp
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,525
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maskk View Post
One caveat. You need a loose/non-nitty vibe to get that action.
Players over adjust live way too much. OMC and Gibraltar rocks, regardless of age, get folds were active dudes will get lots of calls.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or just be 20 and people will pay you off regardless of if you fold for 3 hours straight
YGOchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #17574
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOchamp View Post
Its hilarious that you bothered posting that instead of going back and seeing if it was or was not me (like dude, it's not even 5 pages back)

No, it was not. In fact, it's the exact opposite, I was the person calling out Bodybuilder (who was claiming they were a lie), telling him those WR's were easily achievable.

I'll just ignore the rest of your post since it was predicated on an incorrect assumption.
My apologies, Sir.

The rest of my post is still valid though. This isnt 2004. You cant get it in with TPTK and expect to win that often.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:50 PM   #17575
Maskk
veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DC Area
Posts: 2,083
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
My apologies, Sir.



The rest of my post is still valid though. This isnt 2004. You cant get it in with TPTK and expect to win that often.


Depends on how and where you play. sLag play is all about value hounding that top pair and folding out the pusssies.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maskk is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive