Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Live No-Limit Hold’em Cash Discussion of no-limit hold’em live cash games of all stakes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2016, 12:39 AM   #15076
VolumeKing
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 729
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

So playing above your bankroll is decidedly negative expected value compared to playing within it? Interesting idea
VolumeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:54 AM   #15077
Garick
Oberbiergenießer
 
Garick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Do you even math, bruh?
Posts: 24,603
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

No more tipping BS. Further posts, with or without "Garick disclaimers" attempting to discuss tipping in any way other than pros and cons as it related to overall winrates will result in infractions and possible temp-bans.
Garick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:41 AM   #15078
Richard Parker
banned
 
Richard Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Right Side of Variance
Posts: 13,951
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolumeKing View Post
So playing above your bankroll is decidedly negative expected value compared to playing within it? Interesting idea
How many more of these bad questions?

There are obviously different variables involved, but if you really want me to dumb it down, then sure, playing without a BRM is negative EV.
Richard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:38 AM   #15079
VolumeKing
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 729
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Parker View Post
How many more of these bad questions?

There are obviously different variables involved, but if you really want me to dumb it down, then sure, playing without a BRM is negative EV.
Oh I didn't say that playing without a BRM was negative. I asked if playing under rolled negatively affected ones winrate, and if that holds true then playing within my BR will boost my Winrate. So I should try to play with as many buyins as possible in order to realize my edge
VolumeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:45 AM   #15080
Richard Parker
banned
 
Richard Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Right Side of Variance
Posts: 13,951
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolumeKing View Post
Oh I didn't say that playing without a BRM was negative. I asked if playing under rolled negatively affected ones winrate,
Do you even know what BRM means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolumeKing View Post
and if that holds true then playing within my BR will boost my Winrate.
It depends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolumeKing View Post
So I should try to play with as many buyins as possible in order to realize my edge
I guess you don't know what BRM means.
Richard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:50 AM   #15081
VolumeKing
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 729
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Can you just tell me what a BRM is. Because that's what you said

Can you explain it to me? Last time we did this you were dead wrong. Kinda hope you get the answer right this time
VolumeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:57 AM   #15082
WOAT1Time
grinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 506
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Just leave yourself enough room to split and double the max and you'll be ok.

WOAT1Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:59 AM   #15083
Richard Parker
banned
 
Richard Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Right Side of Variance
Posts: 13,951
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolumeKing View Post
Can you just tell me what a BRM is. Because that's what you said

Can you explain it to me? Last time we did this you were dead wrong. Kinda hope you get the answer right this time
Here you go:

http://www.thepokerbank.com/strategy...ll-management/

Edit: I wasn't wrong, just that what you need is a poker budget, not a roll.
Richard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:42 AM   #15084
Dream Crusher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dream Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas
Posts: 15,670
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolumeKing View Post
What about chopping? Will chopping make my winrate go up or down if I am an average winner? Like what if I win 5bbs winning per hr ? Should I be chopping? But what if I make alot of mistakes heads up?
If rake is not prohibitive, chopping should be based on your heads up ability relative to the player pool. If you make a lot of mistakes HU then you should chop. I doubt you make a lot of mistakes heads up though.

As for bankroll, I've found that having too large of a bankroll can affect one's play negatively as well. The key is to just play your best poker regardless.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
Dream Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:51 AM   #15085
brojaysimpson
old hand
 
brojaysimpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,274
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

What's the general recommended BR for 1/2 live?

I started playing seriously again and built up my roll to 15 BI's. Work full time and have savings but don't intend to put additional money from saving in to my roll in the future. I am wondering though if 15 seems like a normal sized roll I see posts all the time ranging from 5 to 50.
brojaysimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #15086
Gilmour
Pooh-Bah
 
Gilmour's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 3,930
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

15 sounds fine as a start for 1/2 broja. Especially when you work full time and then playing part time in addition to your job.

The posts advocating like 40-50 buyins for 1/2 are out of there freaking mind from my point of view. Would have taken shots at 2/5 long before that amount.
Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:18 AM   #15087
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

I finally have enough hours that I can filter a little and still have a small but decent sample. I assume most of the non-pros here play mostly in the evening and on week ends since they have real jobs?

When I filter out weekday daytime hours when there are always the same regs, pros and OMCs playing, in 2016 I have 275 hrs of 2/5 play in the evening and on weekends at $70.39/hr.

64 sessions
53 wins....83%
11 losses...17%

StDev/hr....$249

Best streak...18 wins in a row = $8056
Worst streak...2 losses in a row = $1017

I will be limiting my weekday daytime hrs from now on. There is one room in my area that is a fish fest even during daytime weekday hrs so when I want to play those non peak hrs, I will make the longer drive and play there.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:31 AM   #15088
brojaysimpson
old hand
 
brojaysimpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,274
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Easiest way to calculate StDev? I'm using poker income app on iPhone.
brojaysimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #15089
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by brojaysimpson View Post
Easiest way to calculate StDev? I'm using poker income app on iPhone.
I use "RunGood". It calculates it for me and Im not the math wiz like a lot of guys here so I will defer to them.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:57 AM   #15090
suited fours
Pooh-Bah
 
suited fours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 4,144
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
I finally have enough hours that I can filter a little and still have a small but decent sample. I assume most of the non-pros here play mostly in the evening and on week ends since they have real jobs?

When I filter out weekday daytime hours when there are always the same regs, pros and OMCs playing, in 2016 I have 275 hrs of 2/5 play in the evening and on weekends at $70.39/hr.

64 sessions
53 wins....83%
11 losses...17%

StDev/hr....$249

Best streak...18 wins in a row = $8056
Worst streak...2 losses in a row = $1017

I will be limiting my weekday daytime hrs from now on. There is one room in my area that is a fish fest even during daytime weekday hrs so when I want to play those non peak hrs, I will make the longer drive and play there.
Holy heater batman.

StDev/hr of 50bb is hard to do. Are you sure that is accurate?
suited fours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:02 AM   #15091
DeathCabForTootie
Pooh-Bah
 
DeathCabForTootie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SHR Tunaments
Posts: 5,722
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by suited fours View Post
Holy heater batman.

StDev/hr of 50bb is hard to do. Are you sure that is accurate?
He filtered weekday day games out so the stats are FUBAR IMO
DeathCabForTootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #15092
2013
centurion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 125
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Hey Guys, looking for some insight. I currently have a $4.5k segregated poker bankroll. I don't need it or use it for anything other than poker.

My local card room spreads $1/$2($200max) and $2/$5($500max). The rake is $7 + $1 for a jackpot and they charge for drinks (bottle water $2/each). I only mention the water because it does add up and I play some long sessions where I can easily drink 5-8 bottles. Factoring waitress tips, water may add another $20 in expenses. I used to bring my own but recently heard they don't allow this anymore.

There are other cardrooms about 1.5 hours away, with a $5 + $1 rake structure and free drinks. The loosest of these options also has a $10 round trip toll associated with it. All have free water.

I'm currently debating between which card room and which stake to grind. I realize I am not rolled for $2/$5. However, I was thinking of buying in for $300 as most people do in that game and call it quits if I lose $600. If I drop to $2,500 I can just go back to $1/$2.

I know this isn't ideal and I'm not too happy with it, but having a 3 hour round trip to play is not great and I also don't think a $1/$2 with $8 rake is beatable.

Some comments on the games. My local card room's $2/$5 is pretty soft. I played one night and there were 5 3bets in 4 hours. Usual mix of players include loose passives and average to below average regs that don't want to pay an $8 rake at $1/$2.

The other cardrooms rarely spread $2/$5 except the one with the $10 round trip toll. That $2/$5 game is still beatable but not as soft and can play a little more aggressive. The only good thing with that room is on a weekend usually 7-8 tables are going of each stake so it's easy to jump from table to table.

Your comments and thoughts are appreciated.
2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #15093
Garick
Oberbiergenießer
 
Garick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Do you even math, bruh?
Posts: 24,603
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by brojaysimpson View Post
Easiest way to calculate StDev? I'm using poker income app on iPhone.
Search for a post by bip! in this thread with the words "standard deviation" (or maybe one of the contractions) in it. He gives step-by-step instructions.
Garick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #15094
johnnyBuz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnnyBuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beast Coast
Posts: 7,092
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

I would keep grinding 1/2 until you feel comfortable losing 3 full bullets ($1500) in a single 2/5 session.
johnnyBuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #15095
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathCabForTootie View Post
He filtered weekday day games out so the stats are FUBAR IMO
How is it FUBAR? The majority of people at 2+2 are playing evening and weekends because they have jobs so Im comparing apples to apples with those people. If I never played weekday daytime (and nobody knew that) and I came here and posted my win rate, I would be posting $70/hr. All I did was give full disclosure.

Dont be so jelly.

Daytime weekday games at my home poker room is filled with rocks, nits and pros and my win rate filtered out for just these games is about $25/hr. Clearly if I care about making the most money, I need to stick to evenings and weekends....or make the drive to the Hard Rock where anything goes at any time of the day or night.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #15096
DeathCabForTootie
Pooh-Bah
 
DeathCabForTootie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SHR Tunaments
Posts: 5,722
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

FUBAR because S4 had a question about your STDev and yours is skewed because of your small sample size and that your hours are filtered.

JFC dude are you that insecure because someone on the internet is questioning you?

TBH, I am jelly that you're obviously running hotter than the sun.
DeathCabForTootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:29 AM   #15097
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathCabForTootie View Post
FUBAR because S4 had a question about your STDev and yours is skewed because of your small sample size and that your hours are filtered.

JFC dude are you that insecure because someone on the internet is questioning you?

TBH, I am jelly that you're obviously running hotter than the sun.
My STDev isnt skewed because I filtered or because of sample size. It is what it is. Will it change with a larger sample size? Probably. Does it mean anything with 275 hrs? Maybe not, but its still not skewed.

FWIW, my STDev with no filters over 700 hrs is $261/hr so I would say that throws your argument of it being skewed out the window
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:30 AM   #15098
Garick
Oberbiergenießer
 
Garick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Do you even math, bruh?
Posts: 24,603
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
I only mention the water because it does add up and I play some long sessions where I can easily drink 5-8 bottles. Factoring waitress tips, water may add another $20 in expenses. I used to bring my own but recently heard they don't allow this anymore.
Pro-tip. Get one bottle early in the session and then re-fill it whenever you take a break.
Garick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #15099
suited fours
Pooh-Bah
 
suited fours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 4,144
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
My STDev isnt skewed because I filtered or because of sample size. It is what it is. Will it change with a larger sample size? Probably. Does it mean anything with 275 hrs? Maybe not, but its still not skewed.

FWIW, my STDev with no filters over 700 hrs is $261/hr so I would say that throws your argument of it being skewed out the window
The point is that is a very low stddev per hour. Are you sure your software/app calculates it correctly?
suited fours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #15100
de4df1sh
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
de4df1sh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: mobtown
Posts: 6,893
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

BANKROLL CHECK

16k BR and 4.5k E fund

how much 2/5 should I be mixing in?
de4df1sh is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive