Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Live No-Limit Hold’em Cash Discussion of no-limit hold’em live cash games of all stakes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2016, 06:25 PM   #14551
Siculamente
banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,144
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

at low stakes, there is a strong correlation between how many pros/wannabes/etc there are and how fun the game is.
Siculamente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:39 AM   #14552
Duke0424
self-banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Desert
Posts: 13,365
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

And would you say this correlation is positive or negative in your experience?
Duke0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:52 PM   #14553
johnnyBuz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnnyBuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beast Coast
Posts: 7,093
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke0424 View Post
And would you say this correlation is positive or negative in your experience?
-1 ldo
johnnyBuz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:24 PM   #14554
WOAT1Time
grinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 506
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Strong correlation between the number of broken records in a conversation and the level of stimulation said conversation generates.
WOAT1Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:30 PM   #14555
WereBeer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9,660
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

What, don't you love hearing about pot odds and equity dictating a call? And how they always miss their outs against someone who should have folded their crappy TPMK to a semi-bluff x/r anyway? It's a great evening out, makes the noobs feel really welcome.
WereBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:41 PM   #14556
aoFrantic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
aoFrantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,522
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

The large majority of berating, lol bad strategy and whatnot is lower stakes. Micro players love to talk poker, guys with 6 figure+ bankrolls switch the conversation
aoFrantic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:34 PM   #14557
YGOchamp
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,525
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Idk, a lot of rich recs that I play with love talking about some strat, hands, and stuff like "haha he checked the flop so I tried to pile in 3k with 6 high!!!, I didn't think he had the nuts in his range"

I don't ever really delve into specific stuff like range merging, capping ranges etc etc, but it keeps them entertained to chime in on basic stuff.

That being said, I would NEVER go out of my way to try and talk strat, and I do try to avoid it.
YGOchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:46 PM   #14558
spikeraw22
The Situation
 
spikeraw22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SB is the new BTN
Posts: 8,732
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

What's range merging?
spikeraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:47 PM   #14559
YGOchamp
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,525
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Who knows man, how about that FOOTBALL GAME THO
YGOchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:47 PM   #14560
nicname
grinder
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Big 12
Posts: 627
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeraw22 View Post
What's range merging?
Triple range-merge?
nicname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:48 PM   #14561
spikeraw22
The Situation
 
spikeraw22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SB is the new BTN
Posts: 8,732
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

OMG I took Dallas with the points.
spikeraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:05 PM   #14562
YGOchamp
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,525
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NJU53NVano
YGOchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:14 PM   #14563
Duke0424
self-banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Desert
Posts: 13,365
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeraw22 View Post
What's range merging?
Looool my first thought when i read his post!!!
Duke0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:13 AM   #14564
bodybuilder32
old hand
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,423
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

The east cost (places like AC and Philadephia) have got to be the worst places to play in the country when it comes to grinders talking strat. I honestly feel bad for anyone who is forced to play there since there are so many softer places to play all over the country.
bodybuilder32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #14565
Mr Sandbag
journeyman
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 251
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Whenever people try to talk strat I just say generic vague fishy stuff that everyone else says.

"That's tough to fold." (Easy fold)
"You had to call." (You had to fold)
"I got lucky. I'm not good enough to fold." (I played optimally and you didn't)
Mr Sandbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:40 AM   #14566
spikeraw22
The Situation
 
spikeraw22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SB is the new BTN
Posts: 8,732
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Related note: I constantly lie about what I had. Like 20 times/session. People still believe me though. I try to remember this when someone volunteers their hand without showing. I consider myself to be very honest. If I am FOS then probably everyone is too.
spikeraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #14567
DeathCabForTootie
Pooh-Bah
 
DeathCabForTootie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SHR Tunaments
Posts: 5,722
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

"I had Ace-King."
DeathCabForTootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:13 PM   #14568
spikeraw22
The Situation
 
spikeraw22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SB is the new BTN
Posts: 8,732
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

I usually select the best possible hand that lost.


Or the nuts if I won and mucked.

It's especially fun to select hands that make absolutely no sense.
spikeraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:00 AM   #14569
DavidBurn
stranger
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Hey guys i'm a long time lurker, first time poster, sorry for the upcoming wall of text. I started grinding 2/5 full time about a year ago and have learned a lot from reading HH's so for that I must thank you guys. I've never bothered to add any feedback because my opinion on the hand is already more or less represented (usually fold pre ).

After a recent downswing I started analyzing/filtering my stats a bit more and found something I couldn't believe and have no explanation for. Any feedback would be HUGELY appreciated.....

I live in a major North American city with 2 casinos. I generally divide my time pretty evenly between the 2 to keep from feeling like i'm in a robotic routine. What I found after 2k+ hours is my winrate is drastically different between the 2 even though the rake is similar and the player pool is very interchangeable. (side note: I actively table select when possible and always try to get position on the obvious whales)

Casino 1 is downtown, $500 max, 9 handed, rake is %10 capped at $10 + $1 for bbj, pretty much no comps whatsoever and food is expensive. This place is known to have a bit of a looser, gambly game but can definitely be dead and reg infested from time to time, usually only 2 or 3 tables to choose from. Here are my results from there:

[IMG][/IMG]

Casino 2 is in a suburb, $500 max, 9 handed, rake is %10 capped at $14 + $1bbj, if you play enough basically your food is taken care of. This place is the classier of the two and will generally attract the more megalomaniac types with the sunglasses and pokerstar jackets (not necessarily crushers but most probably break even types) but there are still plenty of horrific players in the pool who make huge mistakes and give it away pretty easily. Always a minimum of 2 tables open and up to 6 on weekends. Here are my results:

[IMG][/IMG]


This can't just purely be "bad luck" at casino 2 can it? It does feel like I'm card dead/running bad there often plus the extra rake but can it really cut my WR by 2 thirds? Am i just a mediocre poker player with access to a juicy game ? I know there is something to be learned and an adaptation to be made but i just can't get a good perspective on it. If anybody has any wisdom to offer I would really appreciate it! Thanks!
DavidBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:10 AM   #14570
WereBeer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9,660
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sandbag View Post
Whenever people try to talk strat I just say generic vague fishy stuff that everyone else says.

"That's tough to fold." (Easy fold)
"You had to call." (You had to fold)
"I got lucky. I'm not good enough to fold." (I played optimally and you didn't)
I say the first two of these or some variation thereof, all the time. I think fishy play should receive positive reinforcement.
WereBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:29 AM   #14571
spikeraw22
The Situation
 
spikeraw22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SB is the new BTN
Posts: 8,732
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBurn View Post
Hey guys i'm a long time lurker, first time poster, sorry for the upcoming wall of text. I started grinding 2/5 full time about a year ago and have learned a lot from reading HH's so for that I must thank you guys. I've never bothered to add any feedback because my opinion on the hand is already more or less represented (usually fold pre ).

After a recent downswing I started analyzing/filtering my stats a bit more and found something I couldn't believe and have no explanation for. Any feedback would be HUGELY appreciated.....

I live in a major North American city with 2 casinos. I generally divide my time pretty evenly between the 2 to keep from feeling like i'm in a robotic routine. What I found after 2k+ hours is my winrate is drastically different between the 2 even though the rake is similar and the player pool is very interchangeable. (side note: I actively table select when possible and always try to get position on the obvious whales)

Casino 1 is downtown, $500 max, 9 handed, rake is %10 capped at $10 + $1 for bbj, pretty much no comps whatsoever and food is expensive. This place is known to have a bit of a looser, gambly game but can definitely be dead and reg infested from time to time, usually only 2 or 3 tables to choose from. Here are my results from there:

[IMG][/IMG]

Casino 2 is in a suburb, $500 max, 9 handed, rake is %10 capped at $14 + $1bbj, if you play enough basically your food is taken care of. This place is the classier of the two and will generally attract the more megalomaniac types with the sunglasses and pokerstar jackets (not necessarily crushers but most probably break even types) but there are still plenty of horrific players in the pool who make huge mistakes and give it away pretty easily. Always a minimum of 2 tables open and up to 6 on weekends. Here are my results:

[IMG][/IMG]


This can't just purely be "bad luck" at casino 2 can it? It does feel like I'm card dead/running bad there often plus the extra rake but can it really cut my WR by 2 thirds? Am i just a mediocre poker player with access to a juicy game ? I know there is something to be learned and an adaptation to be made but i just can't get a good perspective on it. If anybody has any wisdom to offer I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

That is some God awful rake at both casinos. If you think it won't affect your win rate, think of it this way. One casino is rakig about 50% more than the other. That being said, if the player pool is the same, you shouldn't see much difference in winrate other than the rake difference.
spikeraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:37 AM   #14572
DavidBurn
stranger
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeraw22 View Post
That is some God awful rake at both casinos. If you think it won't affect your win rate, think of it this way. One casino is rakig about 50% more than the other. That being said, if the player pool is the same, you shouldn't see much difference in winrate other than the rake difference.
Thanks for the reply man, this is exactly what I always thought until i saw my results filtered. Where you able to see the screen caps if my tracker or did I mess it up?
DavidBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:27 AM   #14573
acescracked84
old hand
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Beautiful Southern California
Posts: 1,420
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

1k hours is not enough to determine your true winrate. It could even be $20 more than that.
acescracked84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:28 AM   #14574
YGOchamp
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,525
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

What the **** is that rake jesus christ, might as well move to australia if you're going to pay $15/hand rake
YGOchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:54 AM   #14575
cAmmAndo
The Situation
 
cAmmAndo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philly
Posts: 4,712
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

You say bi is 500 max but how do avg stack sizes compare in the two games.

500 cap is a deep 1/2 game so a higher we is possible but with that rake it's certainly possible you are running above expectation in the 2nd game.
cAmmAndo is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive