Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Live No-Limit Hold’em Cash Discussion of no-limit hold’em live cash games of all stakes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2015, 12:50 PM   #10201
AllJackedUp
veteran
 
AllJackedUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Cashing rakeback monies
Posts: 2,593
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbledygeek View Post
+1 to all the comments regarding 7.3 bb/hr being anything but dismal.

AllJackedUp, what leaks do you think you identified at the bottom of your graph?

G2bb/hrwinnerin2015,truestoryG
Pride, mostly, in starting hand selection -- thinking I could play ATC in a bunch of spots where I can't.

Pride, again, regarding seat/table selection. I've been actively moving seats or games rather than just saying "f it, I'll just outplay this super loose player on my left." There has been at least two instances where I left the casino when games are bad rather than saying "f it, I'll outplay these guys." (the latter is still a leak, but I'm improving at it).

A couple other little tweaks that are table dependent, but those two a the top were the biggest leaks I've developed over the past six months IMO.
AllJackedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #10202
kookiemonster
old hand
 
kookiemonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: where the milk and honey flows
Posts: 1,653
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllJackedUp View Post

3) can you find one spot per session where you can value bet thin rather than check the river? Example, last night, there was one hand where I had second pair on a K hi board at river but I was really sure that villain hand an under pair and would fold to any real show of strength. The pot was like $70 at the river and I led out for $10 OOP and was called.
Nice.

Getting thin value is huge. I find myself identifying spots more and more on the river where I have TP or a ****ty two pair and I am pretty sure my reg. villian has a ****ty top pair at best that he plans to fold to any modest bet from me. But give him 4-1 or 5-1 and he will make the crying call. Those $30 bets add up in the long run. But you gotta be sure he isn't capable of sensing weakness and bluff raising. Then the whole plan gets turned on it's head and you hemorhage money.
kookiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #10203
zoltan
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
zoltan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Off my lawn you little punk!
Posts: 21,444
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Love thin value when backdoor flush or straight gets there. Added bonus, other players at table think you're an idiot for betting when it's obvious you shouldn't be betting without the nuts.
zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:12 AM   #10204
ibelieveyouoweme$80k
LLSNL FF Champ '13
 
ibelieveyouoweme$80k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wentzylvania baby
Posts: 12,851
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllJackedUp View Post
These results aren't dismal, they are rockstar level.

I have zero idea what your play is like or what your tables are like. But, a couple typical things that winning players can do to boost their winrate 1 or 2 BB per hour:

1) does your room offer any cash back promos? One of my rooms let's me cash in reward points based on hours of play. It's not much, but it's something.

2) can you find one hand per hour where you can steal the blinds from button rather than let the sb and bb chop? if you can, that's $3 per hour right there.

3) can you find one spot per session where you can value bet thin rather than check the river? Example, last night, there was one hand where I had second pair on a K hi board at river but I was really sure that villain hand an under pair and would fold to any real show of strength. The pot was like $70 at the river and I led out for $10 OOP and was called.
Yeah if you really want an extra $10 or $20 once in a while make a very tiny river bet that will get called by worse. Curiousity pays off.

Also, how often do you stop betting top pair when it is no longer top pair on the turn? I see a lot of people miss a bet or two in spots like this.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using 2+2 Forums
ibelieveyouoweme$80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:38 AM   #10205
Pork Fri Rize
Pooh-Bah
 
Pork Fri Rize's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Elbow reconstructive surgery center
Posts: 5,321
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

To make a generalization of the skill gap in 1/2 and 2/5 being "huge" is silly. Either your local room has very few 2/5 games running 24/7 or you just have purposeful terrible game selection. Both have a plethora of fishcakes.
Pork Fri Rize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:59 AM   #10206
feel wrath
The Situation
 
feel wrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: lost on the turn
Posts: 23,857
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Fri Rize View Post
To make a generalization of the skill gap in 1/2 and 2/5 being "huge" is silly. Either your local room has very few 2/5 games running 24/7 or you just have purposeful terrible game selection. Both have a plethora of fishcakes.

there's a large skill gap between the 1/2 and 2/5 games in my casino.

2/5 is the largest hold em game in the room, only two or a maximum of three tables run and a 2/5 table often has 3 or 4 players at a table who would each easily be the best 1/2 player in the room if they played those stakes

doesn't mean it's not beatable at all...far from it, but the game plays a lot differently and a far superior level of poker knowledge and skills are needed to beat it, compared to the ones needed to beating 1/2
feel wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:02 AM   #10207
johnnyBuz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnnyBuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beast Coast
Posts: 7,092
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

gather around boys and girls. i have a story to share in the morning. it is a tale that chronicles patience, determination, guile and majestic dragons.

johnnyBuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:22 AM   #10208
ibelieveyouoweme$80k
LLSNL FF Champ '13
 
ibelieveyouoweme$80k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wentzylvania baby
Posts: 12,851
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyBuz View Post
gather around boys and girls. i have a story to share in the morning. it is a tale that chronicles patience, determination, guile and majestic dragons.

that is a crapload of money for $1/$2. looks like you made back the $3k you lost.

very nice. wish you had that heater at $2/$5.

although i guess that could be from $2/$5. which is still impressive.
ibelieveyouoweme$80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:49 AM   #10209
bip!
Slow Pony
 
bip!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: not on urban dictionary...
Posts: 13,669
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyBuz View Post
gather around boys and girls. i have a story to share in the morning. it is a tale that chronicles patience, determination, guile and majestic dragons.




Nice win
bip! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:48 AM   #10210
johnny_on_the_spot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnny_on_the_spot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: S-Mart
Posts: 10,920
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbelieveinChipKelly View Post
that is a crapload of money for $1/$2. looks like you made back the $3k you lost.

very nice. wish you had that heater at $2/$5.

although i guess that could be from $2/$5. which is still impressive.
since he's at parx and there are a blue ($2) and red chip out there, i'm guessing it is 2/5, though it still could be 1/2 and both didnt have change. either way, 3k+ is nice on most tables...
johnny_on_the_spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #10211
progress
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,102
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

oh damn he is at parx. I was just there a dew months ago. Wish we met up Johnybuz. I may be back around Thanksgiving.

Nice stack also keep it up.
progress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:19 AM   #10212
de4df1sh
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
de4df1sh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: mobtown
Posts: 6,893
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Jesus you guys are the most unobservant people ever.

arn't you guys supposed to be poker players?

clearly 2/5, look at the blinds.
de4df1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #10213
johnny_on_the_spot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnny_on_the_spot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: S-Mart
Posts: 10,920
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by de4df1sh View Post
Jesus you guys are the most unobservant people ever.

arn't you guys supposed to be poker players?

clearly 2/5, look at the blinds.
did i earn my gold star for the day?
johnny_on_the_spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #10214
de4df1sh
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
de4df1sh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: mobtown
Posts: 6,893
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_on_the_spot View Post
did i earn my gold star for the day?
I didnt see you had already observed what I had.

de4df1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #10215
johnnyBuz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnnyBuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beast Coast
Posts: 7,092
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbelieveinChipKelly View Post
that is a crapload of money for $1/$2. looks like you made back the $3k you lost.

very nice. wish you had that heater at $2/$5.

although i guess that could be from $2/$5. which is still impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bip! View Post
Nice win
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_on_the_spot View Post
since he's at parx and there are a blue ($2) and red chip out there, i'm guessing it is 2/5, though it still could be 1/2 and both didnt have change. either way, 3k+ is nice on most tables...
Thanks guys. The actual tally was $4,437 which crushes all of my previous records for largest pot won, biggest chip stack, biggest cash, etc. You can't really see from the picture, but the black chips actually extend pretty far down in that pile.

The story goes, I wasn't planning on playing 2/5 for awhile, but after the good week I had last week at 1/2 and 1/3, I thought I would consider it Tuesday if the tables looked soft (Tuesday is biggest night @ Parx for some reason). 1/2 and 1/3 had a long list and I actually got put at a tough 2/5 table with a bunch of regs, grinders, etc.

So I decided to play it but just tone down my aggression, go back to a real basic ABC premium hand strategy buying in for 100 BB's (everyone else buys in for 200 BB's). I meandered around for two hours, not doing much but being up $300. Then I ran AK into TT on a KT676 board that TT limp/called pre. Managed to lose a minimum on that hand I think (70 BB's). Chipped up a little bit, then lost KQ AI on flop JT6 to AT by some guy that bought in short for $400. I'm thinking to myself "Great ... 21 outs twice bricks out, it's going to be one of those nights."

But I felt pretty happy with the way I was playing and didn't feel like I was tilting or anything, so I chipped up to $1000 with the last that I had (in for $1400 now) and just kept chipping away. Main table broke, got moved to a new table and won a few more small pots. I'm sitting on $1500 now at about 2:30am thinking to myself "the only thing worse/biggest waste of my time than grinding a $100 win at 1/2 is grinding a $100 win at 2/5," like I'm about to rack it up and accept my fate of grinding 1/2 and 1/3 for awhile..

We are playing 5 handed at the moment so it sucks, but another table breaks and I see three deep stacks headed over to my table. I've got one seat open to my left, followed by two deep stacks and then an open seat. I make the seat change of a lifetime and take the opening with position on 4 deep stacks now and the following transpires in about 30 minutes:

Hand 1:

Spoiler:


Hand 2: 10 minutes later

Spoiler:


And now I'm back at a crossroads with a BR at an all-time high and unsure which limit to play. I came up with a schedule of which days I would play 1/2, 1/3 and 2/5 so I think I should just be disciplined with the schedule and stick to it. There are definitely some BAD nights to play 2/5 and I learned that the hard way during August.
johnnyBuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:33 AM   #10216
ZuneIt
veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Where I can find out how2play poker
Posts: 2,160
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

I was judging my win rate as being "dismal" due to this sticky thread:
https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/32...g-pro-1426688/

Where it says:
Step #1) You have to be a demonstrated winning player with a track record of beating 1/2nl for a minimum of 500 hours for a winrate of $20/hr or better. You also need a minimum roll of $4k. If this is the case, proceed onward to Step #2. If this is not the case, skip this section and go to the next section titled “Hail Mary”.
ZuneIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #10217
progress
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,102
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

2/5 when games good. Lower when it's not IMO. Holy slowplay on those HH.
progress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:05 AM   #10218
TobiasReiper
newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 43
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Hey all back to update for August.

I made a post a few pages back about a dismal summer I was having. I decided to take a month and not look at my graph or stats at all and just focus on playing my best everyday. Well today I finally looked at my results for the month and was happy with what I saw.

August 15: $3003 profit over 91 hours ($33/hr).

I play mostly 1/2nl (150bb BI) and sometimes 2/5nl (200bb BI). This month I only played about 10 hrs of 2/5 so it didn't throw the stats too far in either direction. Feeling pretty good about my results considering I had a $1300 loss at 1/2 while getting ran over in a deep whale infested game about 3/4 through the month.

First session of sept went great with a $1250 win at the morning 1/2game over hours.
TobiasReiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #10219
AllJackedUp
veteran
 
AllJackedUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Cashing rakeback monies
Posts: 2,593
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuneIt View Post
I was judging my win rate as being "dismal" due to this sticky thread:
https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/32...g-pro-1426688/

Where it says:
Step #1) You have to be a demonstrated winning player with a track record of beating 1/2nl for a minimum of 500 hours for a winrate of $20/hr or better. You also need a minimum roll of $4k. If this is the case, proceed onward to Step #2. If this is not the case, skip this section and go to the next section titled “Hail Mary”.
AllJackedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:19 AM   #10220
bip!
Slow Pony
 
bip!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: not on urban dictionary...
Posts: 13,669
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuneIt View Post
I was judging my win rate as being "dismal" due to this sticky thread:

https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/32...g-pro-1426688/



Where it says:

Step #1) You have to be a demonstrated winning player with a track record of beating 1/2nl for a minimum of 500 hours for a winrate of $20/hr or better. You also need a minimum roll of $4k. If this is the case, proceed onward to Step #2. If this is not the case, skip this section and go to the next section titled “Hail Mary”.

It seems DGI never followed any of that himself.

A lot of urban legends out there about how commonplace big LLSNL WRs are.
bip! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:23 AM   #10221
Richard Parker
banned
 
Richard Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Right Side of Variance
Posts: 13,951
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by feel wrath View Post
there's a large skill gap between the 1/2 and 2/5 games in my casino.

2/5 is the largest hold em game in the room, only two or a maximum of three tables run and a 2/5 table often has 3 or 4 players at a table who would each easily be the best 1/2 player in the room if they played those stakes

doesn't mean it's not beatable at all...far from it, but the game plays a lot differently and a far superior level of poker knowledge and skills are needed to beat it, compared to the ones needed to beating 1/2
Somehow the context was lost...

Skill level of your opponents is relative.

My comment was directed at players that are crushing 1/2 at ~10bb/hr, or as you would call them, best 1/2 players in the room.

For them, skill gap that would take to beat either game at similar dollar amount is small.
Richard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #10222
Richard Parker
banned
 
Richard Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Right Side of Variance
Posts: 13,951
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuneIt View Post
I was judging my win rate as being "dismal" due to this sticky thread:
https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/32...g-pro-1426688/

Where it says:
Step #1) You have to be a demonstrated winning player with a track record of beating 1/2nl for a minimum of 500 hours for a winrate of $20/hr or better. You also need a minimum roll of $4k. If this is the case, proceed onward to Step #2. If this is not the case, skip this section and go to the next section titled “Hail Mary”.
It seems that the guy was more of a fictional writer than anything else.
Richard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:47 AM   #10223
suited fours
Pooh-Bah
 
suited fours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 4,144
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyBuz View Post
Thanks guys. The actual tally was $4,437 which crushes all of my previous records for largest pot won, biggest chip stack, biggest cash, etc. You can't really see from the picture, but the black chips actually extend pretty far down in that pile.

The story goes, I wasn't planning on playing 2/5 for awhile, but after the good week I had last week at 1/2 and 1/3, I thought I would consider it Tuesday if the tables looked soft (Tuesday is biggest night @ Parx for some reason). 1/2 and 1/3 had a long list and I actually got put at a tough 2/5 table with a bunch of regs, grinders, etc.

So I decided to play it but just tone down my aggression, go back to a real basic ABC premium hand strategy buying in for 100 BB's (everyone else buys in for 200 BB's). I meandered around for two hours, not doing much but being up $300. Then I ran AK into TT on a KT676 board that TT limp/called pre. Managed to lose a minimum on that hand I think (70 BB's). Chipped up a little bit, then lost KQ AI on flop JT6 to AT by some guy that bought in short for $400. I'm thinking to myself "Great ... 21 outs twice bricks out, it's going to be one of those nights."

But I felt pretty happy with the way I was playing and didn't feel like I was tilting or anything, so I chipped up to $1000 with the last that I had (in for $1400 now) and just kept chipping away. Main table broke, got moved to a new table and won a few more small pots. I'm sitting on $1500 now at about 2:30am thinking to myself "the only thing worse/biggest waste of my time than grinding a $100 win at 1/2 is grinding a $100 win at 2/5," like I'm about to rack it up and accept my fate of grinding 1/2 and 1/3 for awhile..

We are playing 5 handed at the moment so it sucks, but another table breaks and I see three deep stacks headed over to my table. I've got one seat open to my left, followed by two deep stacks and then an open seat. I make the seat change of a lifetime and take the opening with position on 4 deep stacks now and the following transpires in about 30 minutes:

Hand 1:

Spoiler:


Hand 2: 10 minutes later

Spoiler:


And now I'm back at a crossroads with a BR at an all-time high and unsure which limit to play. I came up with a schedule of which days I would play 1/2, 1/3 and 2/5 so I think I should just be disciplined with the schedule and stick to it. There are definitely some BAD nights to play 2/5 and I learned that the hard way during August.
Congrats! I'm guessing you have a new favorite hand?
suited fours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:59 AM   #10224
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,367
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyBuz View Post
gather around boys and girls. i have a story to share in the morning. it is a tale that chronicles patience, determination, guile and majestic dragons.

Worst color scheme ever for chips?

GJFC,everygoddamcoloroftherainbowisineverysinglech ip,blechG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #10225
cAmmAndo
The Situation
 
cAmmAndo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philly
Posts: 4,712
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyBuz View Post
gather around boys and girls. i have a story to share in the morning. it is a tale that chronicles patience, determination, guile and majestic dragons.




But how much did u lose?
cAmmAndo is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive