Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Live No-Limit Hold’em Cash Discussion of no-limit hold’em live cash games of all stakes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2015, 12:27 AM   #10026
JamesGreen
centurion
 
JamesGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Problem Ambler
Posts: 184
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

not to be a dick but suited fours is exactly correct. 1500 is like, 5bi. those are super common and yeah they suck but you gotta shake that **** off like night of, let alone be thinking about it enough to make a post. I've gotten into good 1/2 or 1/3 games for 1500 in a night. if you are getting in sick spots and just not winning don't really sweat it man.

variance is the one thing in the world someone with 33 buy ins in their roll where they prob only need like 14 should worry about.

worry about upping your edge, playing your A game as often as possible and having fun.
JamesGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:59 AM   #10027
ZuneIt
veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Where I can find out how2play poker
Posts: 2,160
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

IMO, TTBH240 should feel much more than just pretty good about the results so far.

I know what I consider to be the 4 best Regs at the room I play at & I'd say, based on conversations, that they average $25 with a 66% win percentage. The only reason they don't play 2/5 there is that there are only a few games going, full of tough players. When there are some Recs in the game on the weekend, you'll see them in the game.

I've averaged $15 pr hr. over the last 645 hours since I got a session logger [March - August] and win 62% of my sessions. $20 pr hr would be another $3225.00 in profit.

A big part of my problem lately has been failing to get up & leave when I'm stuck $300 instead of grinding it out another 3 hrs+ and leaving stuck $500 or more.
ZuneIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:17 AM   #10028
xxcardshark5
centurion
 
xxcardshark5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bloomington
Posts: 129
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Thanks for the advice mates. Maybe I'll take a break until I'm mentally in the right place.
xxcardshark5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #10029
TTBH240
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 277
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

It is nice to get off to a good start. But this is a funny game, and the streaks I've had in just 350 hours have been interesting. I can only imagine my graph over 1000 or 2000 hours. Admittedly, I had a few bad sessions the past couple of weeks. One of those in particular was downright putrid on my part. Just punted away my stack, and I felt so foolish afterward. Conversely, I recently reeled off 16 sessions in a row, and as GG alluded to in a previous post, I found myself thinking I was incapable of losing.

I say that to convey that the next few hundred hours could go several different ways. I've learned (or still trying to learn, rather) to just play my best every street of every hand, and let the rest fall into place.

I've let my WR affect some of my thinking lately. I'm always thinking if this pot will affect my WR (pos or neg) and if so, by how much. Not sure how good/bad that line of thought is.
TTBH240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:31 AM   #10030
johnnyBuz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnnyBuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beast Coast
Posts: 7,092
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuneIt View Post
A big part of my problem lately has been failing to get up & leave when I'm stuck $300 instead of grinding it out another 3 hrs+ and leaving stuck $500 or more.
Assuming you are playing 1/2, being stuck $300 is just part of the cost of doing business. I can't tell you how many winning sessions started out being $300-500 in the hole. 1.5 BI's isn't really much if you can continue to play your A-game.
johnnyBuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:04 AM   #10031
suited fours
Pooh-Bah
 
suited fours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 4,144
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBH240 View Post
It is nice to get off to a good start. But this is a funny game, and the streaks I've had in just 350 hours have been interesting. I can only imagine my graph over 1000 or 2000 hours. Admittedly, I had a few bad sessions the past couple of weeks. One of those in particular was downright putrid on my part. Just punted away my stack, and I felt so foolish afterward. Conversely, I recently reeled off 16 sessions in a row, and as GG alluded to in a previous post, I found myself thinking I was incapable of losing.

I say that to convey that the next few hundred hours could go several different ways. I've learned (or still trying to learn, rather) to just play my best every street of every hand, and let the rest fall into place.

I've let my WR affect some of my thinking lately. I'm always thinking if this pot will affect my WR (pos or neg) and if so, by how much. Not sure how good/bad that line of thought is.
Thinking about your WR while in a hand is generally better than thinking about how your session is going, but they're both undesirable. It's best to not think about any of that, although it is really hard for most of us. In between hands, considering your session could be ok if you're trying to assess if your confidently agressive, or tilted or off your game and should quit or take a break. You already have enough things you should be thinking about during a hand: V range, V playing style, how did he play that one hand 2 orbits ago, betsizing tells, physical tells, what was the SPR, direct odds, implied odds, what was/is my plan, did the waitress just wink at me, etc. Thinking about $ or this pot would make or break my night just clouds out the important stuff.

I've felt like Daredevil, I've felt like a pile of goo, I've played so tired that I couldn't possibly notice anything, so, speaking from experience.
suited fours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #10032
johnnyBuz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnnyBuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beast Coast
Posts: 7,092
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

In unrelated news, it's about to be another bloodbath on Wall Street today and I couldn't be more excited
johnnyBuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:43 AM   #10033
DonkeyCopter
old hand
 
DonkeyCopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Downtown
Posts: 1,316
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

So, I used to think that my swingy sessions were a result of the game I was playing IN, and not MY playing style. I tried out a different location and here are the last 5 sessions. the heck is wrong with me? All 1/3:

Hours Profit
5.50 $865.00
5.52 ($1,100.00)
5.68 $1,220.00
3.93 ($1,000.00)
5.00 $0.00
7.72 $1,280.00
DonkeyCopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #10034
kekeeke
adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,191
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyCopter View Post
So, I used to think that my swingy sessions were a result of the game I was playing IN, and not MY playing style. I tried out a different location and here are the last 5 sessions. the heck is wrong with me? All 1/3:

Hours Profit
5.50 $865.00
5.52 ($1,100.00)
5.68 $1,220.00
3.93 ($1,000.00)
5.00 $0.00
7.72 $1,280.00
something as little as your appearance or demeanor can make people spew towards you tbh, but if you "bluff" in good spots people will react and most react badly, wherever you play
kekeeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #10035
progress
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,102
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Hahah not sure anything is wrong with you. Your probably not on the TAG/nitty end of the spectrum. My guess would be you play your draws aggressively.
progress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #10036
suited fours
Pooh-Bah
 
suited fours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 4,144
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

I'm thinking he doesn't wait for draws to go full aggro.
suited fours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #10037
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,367
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxcardshark5 View Post
For 1/3, my stats for the past year (8/1/2014-7/31/2015) are $5,523 over 320 hours for an approximate rate of $17.30/hr. W-L is 40-23.

However, my roll was at $7,000 in June. So over the past 90 hours I played in June and July I lost almost $1500. One of my biggest leaks was overplaying TPTK and overpairs, paying off two pair and sets when the villains were showing obvious strength. But these leaks certainly didn't define the entirety of this stretch. I adjusted my play accordingly, but continued to run poor.

My confidence is pretty low at this point so an objective opinion would be appreciated. $1500 over 90 hours is a lot in my opinion. Or should I get over it and continue playing as these numbers aren't meaningful til I get to 1000 hours....
Congrats on your winning ways.

FWIW, both of my biggest downswings at 1/3 NL I lost a lot more than $1500 in a lot shorter period than 90 hours. It just takes losing a few really big pots to get slaughtered pretty quickly.

GcluelessslaughterednoobG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:24 PM   #10038
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,367
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyCopter View Post
So, I used to think that my swingy sessions were a result of the game I was playing IN, and not MY playing style. I tried out a different location and here are the last 5 sessions. the heck is wrong with me? All 1/3:

Hours Profit
5.50 $865.00
5.52 ($1,100.00)
5.68 $1,220.00
3.93 ($1,000.00)
5.00 $0.00
7.72 $1,280.00
Ha, you and me, we play different styles! I have to go back 26 sessions to find any win/loss as big+ as $865, and my sessions are way longer than yours. Lolz.

Glol,yourwaylookstowinalotmoremoney,atleastbasedon thoseresultsG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:29 PM   #10039
Havax
grinder
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 581
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

What is the maximum amount of cash I can put into my bank account every month that won't get looked at by the IRS that I don't have to report as income? My accountant once said something about there was a $14,000 (this number could be wrong) gift exception of money you can get from family members per year tax-free.

Therefore does this mean the maximum amount I can deposit is $14k of my poker earnings each year without having to report it?

Background on me if it matters: I own a small business is my only official source of income. I currently keep all my poker earnings in cash in a safe and spend it via cash without ever letting it touch my bank. What is the most I can put in my bank safely each month/year?
Havax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:40 PM   #10040
de4df1sh
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
de4df1sh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: mobtown
Posts: 6,893
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havax View Post
What is the maximum amount of cash I can put into my bank account every month that won't get looked at by the IRS that I don't have to report as income? My accountant once said something about there was a $14,000 (this number could be wrong) gift exception of money you can get from family members per year tax-free.

Therefore does this mean the maximum amount I can deposit is $14k of my poker earnings each year without having to report it?

Background on me if it matters: I own a small business is my only official source of income. I currently keep all my poker earnings in cash in a safe and spend it via cash without ever letting it touch my bank. What is the most I can put in my bank safely each month/year?
The first person I would ask is your accountant.
de4df1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:59 PM   #10041
bwslim69
I'm a Diva, Bruh
 
bwslim69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: TPS reports
Posts: 24,038
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havax View Post
What is the maximum amount of cash I can put into my bank account every month that won't get looked at by the IRS that I don't have to report as income? My accountant once said something about there was a $14,000 (this number could be wrong) gift exception of money you can get from family members per year tax-free.

Therefore does this mean the maximum amount I can deposit is $14k of my poker earnings each year without having to report it?

Background on me if it matters: I own a small business is my only official source of income. I currently keep all my poker earnings in cash in a safe and spend it via cash without ever letting it touch my bank. What is the most I can put in my bank safely each month/year?

The 14k is an estate tax issue that has nothing to do with the deposit regs.

I don't follow this very closely but my understanding is 10k within any 30 day period warrants a reporting by the bank. It has nothing to do with a calendar month. It's a rolling 30 day period. But I could be wrong on that.

And you have to report all income whether you deposit it or not. The deposit obv creates a cash trail though
bwslim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #10042
Cr0nChop
centurion
 
Cr0nChop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: bip's grill
Posts: 122
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Look up "structuring".

(and no that is not a solution, but it answers your question)
Cr0nChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:27 PM   #10043
squid face
ChatThreadPrez
 
squid face's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: grabbin c-notes from the money tree
Posts: 10,253
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

what cronchop sed

it appears u are asking how to avoid giving our great nation your fair share of taxes which is an ill advised act. I would start by asking a moderator to delete your post
squid face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:44 PM   #10044
Havax
grinder
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 581
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

I don't believe in theft (income taxation). I am not the immoral one, the state is. We could argue that in a different thread. Thanks for the advice everyone else.
Havax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:58 PM   #10045
bwslim69
I'm a Diva, Bruh
 
bwslim69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: TPS reports
Posts: 24,038
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havax View Post
I don't believe in theft (income taxation). I am not the immoral one, the state is. We could argue that in a different thread. Thanks for the advice everyone else.

lol welp...good luck with that
bwslim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:09 AM   #10046
11t
Bo Pelini's #1 Fan
 
11t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Spewville
Posts: 31,421
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havax View Post
I don't believe in theft (income taxation). I am not the immoral one, the state is. We could argue that in a different thread. Thanks for the advice everyone else.
Like they give a **** about morality
11t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:12 AM   #10047
11t
Bo Pelini's #1 Fan
 
11t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Spewville
Posts: 31,421
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

And it's 10k cash at any given time causes a cash transaction report to be filed, whether or not your bank would do anything about 10k in a month is more of less a question of whether or not they think you are trying to dodge the IRS.

But a most basic audit will **** you regardless.

Here's the truth: any income that leaves a paper trail needs to be reported if you don't want to risk a serious fist ****ing.
11t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:13 AM   #10048
DonkSlayar
centurion
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 177
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Sub
DonkSlayar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:34 AM   #10049
johnny_on_the_spot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnny_on_the_spot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: S-Mart
Posts: 10,920
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havax View Post
I don't believe in theft (income taxation). I am not the immoral one, the state is. We could argue that in a different thread. Thanks for the advice everyone else.
they cant tax what is in a safety deposit box. you get basically the same interest rate and less hassle.
johnny_on_the_spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:12 AM   #10050
DonkeyCopter
old hand
 
DonkeyCopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Downtown
Posts: 1,316
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekeeke View Post
something as little as your appearance or demeanor can make people spew towards you tbh, but if you "bluff" in good spots people will react and most react badly, wherever you play
Yeah, actually for the past couple months I've been wearing sunglasses while playing (its actually pretty bright in the room) which I think is getting me more action on average. I'm also a young looking dude which helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progress View Post
Hahah not sure anything is wrong with you. Your probably not on the TAG/nitty end of the spectrum. My guess would be you play your draws aggressively.
95% of the time yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suited fours View Post
I'm thinking he doesn't wait for draws to go full aggro.
95% of the time also this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbledygeek View Post
Ha, you and me, we play different styles! I have to go back 26 sessions to find any win/loss as big+ as $865, and my sessions are way longer than yours. Lolz.

Glol,yourwaylookstowinalotmoremoney,atleastbasedon thoseresultsG
550 hours of 1/2 and 1/3 and I'm at over $56/hour. I just looked at all of my sessions in 2015 and about 1 out of 3 (30%) of them are plus or minus $900 or more, average session length 5.24 hours.
DonkeyCopter is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive