Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Live No-Limit Hold’em Cash Discussion of no-limit hold’em live cash games of all stakes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2015, 12:06 AM   #9726
11t
Bo Pelini's #1 Fan
 
11t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Spewville
Posts: 31,421
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj94 View Post
xeleventybillion
You ranged?
11t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:50 AM   #9727
DonkeyCopter
old hand
 
DonkeyCopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Downtown
Posts: 1,316
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drrr.Gonzo View Post
It sounds like your in a very good game with horrific regs,, would you employ the same style if another good player sat down is this style only sustaianble in this game, and do you play the same vs unknowns
If another good player sits then position starts to become more important when it comes to my exploitable plays. I take periodic trips to vegas to play 1-3 and 2-5 and have had very good success playing with unknowns (1-3 in vegas included in the results I posted), and I just play my style significantly tighter and more position aware. I'll pull the last 5 vegas 1-3 session results in a minute.
DonkeyCopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:57 AM   #9728
DonkeyCopter
old hand
 
DonkeyCopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Downtown
Posts: 1,316
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Location Hours result
Aria 5:09 +1326
Aria 3:25 +174
Venetian 3:06 +260
Bellagio 1:57 -132
Phollywood 6:20 +1100

These are the last 5 sessions I played in Vegas. The Bellagio loss is me leaving after the one fish busted and game wasn't great so went to find a new table.
DonkeyCopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:33 AM   #9729
DeadMoneyWalking
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DeadMoneyWalking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Avatar Archive
Posts: 30,843
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm303 View Post

Will 2/5 players adjust to a pro shortstack? they will repeatedly flog you with J5s when the worst hand you ever have is AKs?
FYP
DeadMoneyWalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:41 AM   #9730
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,396
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Parker View Post
And please, do not carry your douchbaggery to local casinos...
How is this douchbaggery (although I'm assuming ratholing is allowed when switching tables at his room)? Sounds like he's simply asking a strategy question, no?

GcluelessdouchbaggerynoobG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:48 AM   #9731
wj94
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 7,722
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbledygeek View Post
How is this douchbaggery (although I'm assuming ratholing is allowed when switching tables at his room)? Sounds like he's simply asking a strategy question, no?

GcluelessdouchbaggerynoobG
2/5 short stacker hit and run artists are the worst
wj94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #9732
Richard Parker
banned
 
Richard Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Right Side of Variance
Posts: 13,951
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Have you never experienced how most of table feel about someone who hit-and-run?

Imagine that same guy lingering around the room and doing it over and over.

If you want someone creating that kind of negative vibe in your room, you obviously hate happiness.
Richard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #9733
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,396
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Know what else I hate? Winning players sitting at my table.

Dude is simply asking a strategy question. If his strategy isn't a winning formula, or way less +EV than another strategy, then by all means, dump on it.

GimoG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:17 PM   #9734
Richard Parker
banned
 
Richard Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Right Side of Variance
Posts: 13,951
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Wait, so we are here to help other people make more money?

This whole time I thought we are here to help ourselves make more money...I have been doing it wrong then.

Dude isn't helping anyone but himself with his antics, why would I even think about helping him?

And FWIW, he's creating -EV environment in the room...is that enough to dump on it?
Richard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #9735
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,396
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Parker View Post
Wait, so we are here to help other people make more money?

This whole time I thought we are here to help ourselves make more money...I have been doing it wrong then.

Dude isn't helping anyone but himself with his antics, why would I even think about helping him?

And FWIW, he's creating -EV environment in the room...is that enough to dump on it?
One man's antics is another man's strategy. He's simply asking if its a viable one and how it compares to the alternative. No one has offered a response on this at all, only "I'd hate to have you at my table/room you douchebag, please go away".

Gnotsurewhyyou'regettingbentouttashapeoverthis?G
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:00 PM   #9736
Richard Parker
banned
 
Richard Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Right Side of Variance
Posts: 13,951
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Gnotsurewhyyouthinkpeopleshouldactuallyrespondtohi squestionG

But hey, rather than investing the energy to dump on me, why don't you do it?
Richard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #9737
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,396
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Parker View Post
But hey, rather than investing the energy to dump on me, why don't you do it?
I have no 2/5 experience at all, nor short stack strategy experience. I'm not the guy. Maybe there's someone else out there with x hours of shortstacking at 2/5 versus y hours of normal play at 1/2 who can shed some light.

GcluelessNLnoobG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #9738
Angrist
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,884
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Parker View Post
Have you never experienced how most of table feel about someone who hit-and-run?

Imagine that same guy lingering around the room and doing it over and over.

If you want someone creating that kind of negative vibe in your room, you obviously hate happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Parker View Post

And FWIW, he's creating -EV environment in the room...is that enough to dump on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbledygeek View Post
Know what else I hate? Winning players sitting at my table.

Dude is simply asking a strategy question. If his strategy isn't a winning formula, or way less +EV than another strategy, then by all means, dump on it.

GimoG

Keeping the fish entertained and enjoying themselves is a pretty big concern. If the whales leave because the players they're sitting with are nasty to them, or boring, or hit and run artists, or anything else that makes the game "not fun", then we've all lost. I've personally seen some of the idiot regs berate a gigantic whale for sucking out on them, calling him an idiot, moron, awful player, etc, until they ran him completely out of the local games. Now he's gone and not donating $1k/night at a $1/2 game.

Tapping on the tank is bad for everybody. It's not a strategy question.
Angrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #9739
Richard Parker
banned
 
Richard Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Right Side of Variance
Posts: 13,951
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Thanks for spelling it out. I thought it was obvious to those who post in these forums, but I guess not.
Richard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:11 PM   #9740
wj294
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,074
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Any casino I've played in make you either wait three hours or sit at the new table with the full stack you left your old table with so you'd either have to play 100bb ish deep like a normal person or leave the casino which would be a pretty big waste of time imo so no shortstack hit n run play doesn't work live, not to mention you'd massively annoy the fish you're targeting and potentially drive them away. I've only played in the UK though, not sure what the rule is on table switching and the stack you have to take with you state side.
wj294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #9741
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,396
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
Keeping the fish entertained and enjoying themselves is a pretty big concern. If the whales leave because the players they're sitting with are nasty to them, or boring, or hit and run artists, or anything else that makes the game "not fun", then we've all lost. I've personally seen some of the idiot regs berate a gigantic whale for sucking out on them, calling him an idiot, moron, awful player, etc, until they ran him completely out of the local games. Now he's gone and not donating $1k/night at a $1/2 game.

Tapping on the tank is bad for everybody. It's not a strategy question.
I understand the tapping-on-the-tank issues, and obviously it is in all of our winrate interests (including OPs) to foster a good environment. OP didn't say exactly how he was going to go about his double-up-and-then-table-hop-while-ratholing; hopefully he does this in as tasteful / inconspicuous / friendly / keep-the-fish-happy manner as possible (not to mention legal regarding the ratholing). A few have already commented on how this strategy looks to others, so OP should certainly be aware of this issue now if he isn't already and take that into consideration.

However, his question is *clearly* a strategy question (is shortstacking 2/5 going to produce a longer long term winrate than playing normal at 1/2), a question he has posted in the winrates thread for feedback. No one has addressed that question. My guess is that no one will since I doubt many (any?) of us here shortstack / hit&run, so we don't have any sample size to compare results.

GcluelessNLnoobG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:23 PM   #9742
Richard Parker
banned
 
Richard Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Right Side of Variance
Posts: 13,951
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbledygeek View Post
I understand the tapping-on-the-tank issues, and obviously it is in all of our winrate interests (including OPs) to foster a good environment. OP didn't say exactly how he was going to go about his double-up-and-then-table-hop-while-ratholing; hopefully he does this in as tasteful / inconspicuous / friendly / keep-the-fish-happy manner as possible (not to mention legal regarding the ratholing). A few have already commented on how this strategy looks to others, so OP should certainly be aware of this issue now if he isn't already and take that into consideration.
Come on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbledygeek View Post
However, his question is *clearly* a strategy question (is shortstacking 2/5 going to produce a longer long term winrate than playing normal at 1/2), a question he has posted in the winrates thread for feedback. No one has addressed that question. My guess is that no one will since I doubt many (any?) of us here shortstack / hit&run, so we don't have any sample size to compare results.

GcluelessNLnoobG
And we are telling him that it's -EV to the room.

Is it not as much a "strategy" response as original question was a "strategy" question?

I mean, the fact that you are arguing about all this, you should be able to accept "-EV to the room" as a legitimate response to his question.
Richard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #9743
Angrist
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,884
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Fake wj94 ... here every casino I've played in you have to wait a hour. 3 hours is ******ed. The rule for chipping up/down when moving tables varies by room. Usually you have to bring everything. Sometimes I've seen where they let you chip down if it's a forced move from a broken table.
Angrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:29 PM   #9744
NeverLosesAtPoker
banned
 
NeverLosesAtPoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: On TwoPlusTwo
Posts: 4,448
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm303 View Post
Opinions on short stacking 2/5 live ($200-$500) vs full stacking 1/2 ($60-$300)?



And by shortstack I don't mean buy in short and play normal poker. I mean play an extremely tight strategy that has zero play after the flop. No set mining. Just pushing preflop equities and dead money. I've done this online at up to 200nl with pretty good success and live should be even better given that the preflop opening size is larger and the fact that these players call $25 opens with random junk.



I would then decide if the table were good enough to top off my stack and play deep or to rathole and switch tables.



Will 2/5 players adjust to a pro shortstack or will they repeatedly pay you off with TT when the worst hand you ever have is AKs?



How would the hourly compare in these two games?

No, they will not adjust properly. Potential hourly at 2/5 would be higher.
NeverLosesAtPoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:32 PM   #9745
NeverLosesAtPoker
banned
 
NeverLosesAtPoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: On TwoPlusTwo
Posts: 4,448
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyBuz View Post
So I was playing more recreationally in 2014. I didn't have a proper bankroll or anything, I just set aside $600 and grinded it up to $4000. Thought I was on top of the world "crushing" 1/2. I also had a nasty little habit called "getting shitfaced at the poker table." Well needless to say that roll went bust around August 2014.

I took 4 months off to save up a proper roll ($4000) and read a handful of books during that time. Started playing again in late December (still drinking). After having a breakeven January where I gave back $2000 due to being blackout drunk and getting two 24-hour bans I completely stopped drinking.

And lo and behold, my results since February (~400-450 hours) have been phenomenal. Maybe it's just run-good but I think there is a strong correlation to a) having a proper roll and b) not drinking while playing - that have allowed me to progress as much as I have in 2015.

I take the game very seriously now. I just started playing 2/5 and I *ALMOST ALMOST* took a shot at 10/10 last night after doubling up from $500 to $1200 at 2/5.

Hope this helped

You took a bit too long to start playing 2/5 but don't start taking shots at 10/10 even when you feel it's like a freeroll. Just focus on 2/5.
NeverLosesAtPoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:39 PM   #9746
NeverLosesAtPoker
banned
 
NeverLosesAtPoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: On TwoPlusTwo
Posts: 4,448
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

There is nothing wrong with short stacking and nothing wrong with hitting and running. This is a cash game and you can buy-in for whatever amount you want within the limit and leave whenever you want. If this is somehow "hurting the game" then the casino should change its rules and buy-in limits.
NeverLosesAtPoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #9747
johnnyBuz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnnyBuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beast Coast
Posts: 7,093
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverLosesAtPoker View Post
You took a bit too long to start playing 2/5 but don't start taking shots at 10/10 even when you feel it's like a freeroll. Just focus on 2/5.
Good advice. I just experienced my first beat down at 2/5 last night (negative var?) and the swing left me a tad sick to my stomach.
johnnyBuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #9748
suited fours
Pooh-Bah
 
suited fours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 4,144
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
Fake wj94 ... here every casino I've played in you have to wait a hour. 3 hours is ******ed. The rule for chipping up/down when moving tables varies by room. Usually you have to bring everything. Sometimes I've seen where they let you chip down if it's a forced move from a broken table.
Agree, most have a 1 hour rule. I've seen some 30 minute rules. MDL doesn't allow you to move more than the max buyin.

No way would short stacking 2/5 bring in a better win rate than full stack 1/2. The struggle with switching tables efficiently just one of the reasons.
suited fours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:46 PM   #9749
wj294
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,074
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
Fake wj94 ... here every casino I've played in you have to wait a hour. 3 hours is ******ed. The rule for chipping up/down when moving tables varies by room. Usually you have to bring everything. Sometimes I've seen where they let you chip down if it's a forced move from a broken table.

It might be 2 hours not 3 but it's definitely not any less than that. Tbh in the 5/6 casino's I've played in I've never seen more than 3 NL tables running at once, normally no more than 1 1/1 game and 1 1/2 game, you'd have to go to 2/3 different casino's per night to shortstack hit n run.
wj294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:02 PM   #9750
Pavulon
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 453
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Hi guys.
Which kind of poker variant has a potential for the highest $/hr winrate?
I know it's limit and volume dependant but I'm kind of looking for a pretty broad answer anyway



examples:
NLH cash
PLO cash
8Game cash
other cash
Zoom
NLH MTTs
NLH Turbo MTTs
NLH Hyper Turbo MTTs
NLH SnGs
NLH Turbo SnGs
NLH Hyper Turbo SnGs
NLH Fifty50 SnGs
other MTTs
other SnGs
Pavulon is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive