Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Live No-Limit Hold’em Cash Discussion of no-limit hold’em live cash games of all stakes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #801
cjp
adept
 
cjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Teh O.C.
Posts: 902
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

If you make 12/hour at 2/5 you should probably start studying the game more because that is awful.
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #802
72winner
adept
 
72winner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,078
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
If you make 12/hour at 2/5 you should probably start studying the game more because that is awful.
I'm talking about him. From what I've seen most players overestimate their win rate and jump in expecting great results and get a fraction of what they think they will. EG packerfan
72winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:48 AM   #803
Midnight Cowboy
grinder
 
Midnight Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: in the Village by the Sea
Posts: 549
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofliedlice View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

I use poker journal too but I haven't the slightest idea how to post screen shots from my phone. How did u do this?
Midnight Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:54 AM   #804
poke4fun
veteran
 
poke4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,191
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowboy View Post
I use poker journal too but I haven't the slightest idea how to post screen shots from my phone. How did u do this?
Press home and sleep button at the same time, then a photo will be saved in the Photos app.
poke4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:04 AM   #805
GooseATTACK
enthusiast
 
GooseATTACK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 65
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72winner View Post
I'm talking about him. From what I've seen most players overestimate their win rate and jump in expecting great results and get a fraction of what they think they will. EG packerfan
Ive been playing poker for 5 years, and played a good amount online specially over the last two years along with playing in a lot of home games, so I am decent at the game, and from what I've seen at these stakes I'm sure I have an edge on these players. My winrates will probably decrease but I really don't see myself going to 6/hr at 1/2 and 12 at 2/5 if you say that the above win rates are attainable. I mean if I only beat 2/5 for 12 an hour I should probably not be playing and continue to study the game. If i can keep a win-rate of 10-15/hr in 1/2 and 20-25/hr in 2/5 ill be happy

I know that with such a small sample anything is possible maybe I'm a loosing player who knows.

Last edited by GooseATTACK; 07-12-2011 at 02:18 AM.
GooseATTACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:10 AM   #806
Midnight Cowboy
grinder
 
Midnight Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: in the Village by the Sea
Posts: 549
Re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmourr View Post
how many hours of play before an hourly becomes representative of your true hourly?
It's often been said that a player needs 2,000 hours of live poker before they can get an accurate assessment of their win rate. I've been using Poker Journal for the past 1,000 hrs of live 2/5 NL, and I can tell you that my win rate from the first 500 hrs was $51/hr, and for the next 500 hrs, it slipped down to $45/hr.
Midnight Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:13 AM   #807
Midnight Cowboy
grinder
 
Midnight Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: in the Village by the Sea
Posts: 549
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by poke4fun View Post
Press home and sleep button at the same time, then a photo will be saved in the Photos app.
My question was how do I post them, as in, how do I add a photo from my iPhone to a thread on 2+2?
Midnight Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:19 AM   #808
poke4fun
veteran
 
poke4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,191
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

find a host: http://tinypic.com/
poke4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:25 AM   #809
Midnight Cowboy
grinder
 
Midnight Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: in the Village by the Sea
Posts: 549
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubonicplay View Post
Of course im talking about if you play near perfect poker... Of course if you have leaks then i can see more than 5 buyins.
Sorry bubonic, but you don't know what you're talking about. I've been playing 2/5 for about four years, and in the past year alone, I had two downswings of 10 buyins. All my buyins are for $500. and for the record, my winrate over the past year is $48.50/hr.
Midnight Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #810
72winner
adept
 
72winner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,078
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseATTACK View Post
Ive been playing poker for 5 years, and played a good amount online specially over the last two years along with playing in a lot of home games, so I am decent at the game, and from what I've seen at these stakes I'm sure I have an edge on these players. My winrates will probably decrease but I really don't see myself going to 6/hr at 1/2 and 12 at 2/5 if you say that the above win rates are attainable. I mean if I only beat 2/5 for 12 an hour I should probably not be playing and continue to study the game. If i can keep a win-rate of 10-15/hr in 1/2 and 20-25/hr in 2/5 ill be happy

I know that with such a small sample anything is possible maybe I'm a loosing player who knows.
I was exaggerating some. If you're OK with $20/hr at 2/5 and you're a good player that seems feasible.

I assume you're consistently beating 50NL or higher online.
72winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #811
GooseATTACK
enthusiast
 
GooseATTACK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 65
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72winner View Post
I was exaggerating some. If you're OK with $20/hr at 2/5 and you're a good player that seems feasible.

I assume you're consistently beating 50NL or higher online.
I played anything from 25nl to 200nl and beat all of them, granted my 200nl sample size was limited and when I started to play it more often Black Friday happened.

And I mean $15-25/hr in college is not bad, ill take it

Thanks for the info
GooseATTACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #812
72winner
adept
 
72winner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,078
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseATTACK View Post
I played anything from 25nl to 200nl and beat all of them, granted my 200nl sample size was limited and when I started to play it more often Black Friday happened.

And I mean $15-25/hr in college is not bad, ill take it

Thanks for the info
If you beat 50nl+ consistently your current win rate may well be accurate.

GL! Definitely a nice bonus for a college student! Just finish college before you "go pro". ;-)
72winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #813
msufan
grinder
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 695
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Adding 17 more sessions to the data -- previous data first (all 1/2 full ring NL):

+237
+34
+343
+500
(-10)
+3
+240
+413
+350
+110
(-200)
+17
(-86)
+115
(-37)
(-200)
(-200)
(-24)
+128
+266
+182
+201
+210
+533
+2
(-200)
+243
(-200)
+9
(-95)
(-129)
(-100)
+120
+442

new sessions:
+140
+40
+64
+20
+104
+176
+56
(-100)
(-17)
+410
+357
+300
+130
(-170)
+374
(-39)
+221

51 sessions (35 winning, 16 losing)
Average session length: 4 hours

Total profit: $5283
Estimated hourly: $5283/204 = $25.90/hour (up $103.59 per session)
msufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #814
yodachoda
veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago IL suburbs
Posts: 2,936
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Hey guys. Been struggling recently. I just can't EVER seem to find myself in situations where I can make hugely +EV moves. For example, I've never found myself with a flopped set and having an opponent putting lots of money into the pot.

It's crazy to think how much I'd be making if I could just flop a set or two every 8 hour session. Or if I actually flopped a pair more than 25% of the time when I have AK or AQ.
yodachoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #815
msufan
grinder
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 695
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodachoda View Post
Hey guys. Been struggling recently. I just can't EVER seem to find myself in situations where I can make hugely +EV moves. For example, I've never found myself with a flopped set and having an opponent putting lots of money into the pot.

It's crazy to think how much I'd be making if I could just flop a set or two every 8 hour session. Or if I actually flopped a pair more than 25% of the time when I have AK or AQ.
AK/AQ will flop top pair or better less than 1/3 of the time... so hoping for your 25% to improve dramatically may be a lost cause. As far as flopping sets, you'll get a pocket pair 1 out of 17 hands. Say you play 25 hands an hour -- you'll get about 12 pairs in 8 hours. You'll likely only see a flop, what, maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the time with those pairs (figure you raise and take it down 1-2 times, are forced to fold a few of the lowest pairs preflop, etc.). So you might have a pocket pair and see a flop 6-8 times in one 8-hour session. Seeing as you'll flop a set about 1 in 8.5 times, you will actually flop a set a bit less than once per 8-hour session. Of course, when you DO flop a set, you could end up winning just a small pot, or getting run down and still losing, or flop bottom set on a monotone board with straight possibilities, etc, etc.

Not trying to be negative. I'm just saying that sometimes people think they run bad (I flop less than one set a night! My AK hits the flop only like 25% of the time!) when that's actually standard.
msufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #816
Pay4Myschool
Haz Chuck Norris 4 Dad
 
Pay4Myschool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan / California
Posts: 7,473
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by msufan View Post
Adding 17 more sessions to the data -- previous data first (all 1/2 full ring NL):

+237
+34
+343
+500
(-10)
+3
+240
+413
+350
+110
(-200)
+17
(-86)
+115
(-37)
(-200)
(-200)
(-24)
+128
+266
+182
+201
+210
+533
+2
(-200)
+243
(-200)
+9
(-95)
(-129)
(-100)
+120
+442

new sessions:
+140
+40
+64
+20
+104
+176
+56
(-100)
(-17)
+410
+357
+300
+130
(-170)
+374
(-39)
+221

51 sessions (35 winning, 16 losing)
Average session length: 4 hours

Total profit: $5283
Estimated hourly: $5283/204 = $25.90/hour (up $103.59 per session)
thats awesome bro! I am up 3848 in almost 300 hours which equates to a little under $14 an hour.

How does this compare to last year?
Pay4Myschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #817
Ra_Z_Boy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Ra_Z_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Eire
Posts: 36,975
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Android alternatives to Poker Journal anyone?
Ra_Z_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #818
tedtodd
veteran
 
tedtodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: aggressively checking
Posts: 3,155
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodachoda View Post
Hey guys. Been struggling recently. I just can't EVER seem to find myself in situations where I can make hugely +EV moves. For example, I've never found myself with a flopped set and having an opponent putting lots of money into the pot.

It's crazy to think how much I'd be making if I could just flop a set or two every 8 hour session. Or if I actually flopped a pair more than 25% of the time when I have AK or AQ.
you might need a poker coach. poker isn't just about finding huge value spots. you need to read board textures to steal pots and get thin value. this will keep you balanced so you can actually get paid in those big +EV spots. once you get better at reading situations you'll be able to pull off double and triple barrels over and over again against the weak/passive players that fill the live poker rooms.
tedtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #819
basecrdshp
adept
 
basecrdshp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 761
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

I switched from limit to NL a few yers ago. Play exclusively at the Borgata. Started at 1/2 and moved to 2/5 after about 400 hrs. My stats for 1/2 are as follows (I use XL to track)
$33.50/hr - 82% wins - 18% losses
ave win $282 ave loss $225

I have logged in about 1000 hrs at 2/5 and stats are as follows
$33.80/hr 70.9% wins
ave win $397 avs loss $429

I had my first loosing month (July) in past 9 months which brought my winrate down from $37.60/hr

I believe my 1/2 rate is somewhat inflated. Not sure I can sustain 30+ over thousands of hours

My question is soon:
I study the game constantly and am trying to improve. I am targeting a winrate or $40/hr. I play TAG style and maybe a bit to tight sooooo
I decided in July to open my game a bit and try an occasional squeeze from the blinds, a float a tighty and try to steal OTT when no A or K hits (dry board). Big 3! with PP LP when seveal weak enter instead of set mining. The results have been very poor (my July loss was my biggest 2/5 monthly loss). Granted 1 month or 40ish hours is not a big sample set. How do I improve in this area to increase my winrate. Or is is best to go back to my comfort game and be satisfied with $35ish/hr.
Any recommendations for next steps would be very much appreciated.
basecrdshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:06 PM   #820
Ra_Z_Boy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Ra_Z_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Eire
Posts: 36,975
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

If you want to loosen up, the best way to start is to simply play more hands from LP. Trying more complex plays which make you uncomfortable and you aren't experienced with just because you feel you have to isn't a great idea. Instead just widen your button, CO and HJ ranges slightly to begin with if you feel you are too much of a nit. Hard to go too far wrong with positional advantage.
Ra_Z_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #821
basecrdshp
adept
 
basecrdshp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 761
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra_Z_Boy View Post
If you want to loosen up, the best way to start is to simply play more hands from LP. Trying more complex plays which make you uncomfortable and you aren't experienced with just because you feel you have to isn't a great idea. Instead just widen your button, CO and HJ ranges slightly to begin with if you feel you are too much of a nit. Hard to go too far wrong with positional advantage.
Thanx Ra Z.
Very good advice.
I was actually thinking of the same thing for my August sessions. Thought I would increase my range by maybe 10-15% LP and also my 3! range by a little bit too.
basecrdshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #822
pure_aggression
Pooh-Bah
 
pure_aggression's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pure Aggression on YouTube
Posts: 5,243
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra_Z_Boy View Post
Android alternatives to Poker Journal anyone?
Session logger is what I have been using it is free.
pure_aggression is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #823
InfiniteJess
centurion
 
InfiniteJess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: In a Daydream (In Boston)
Posts: 152
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbysh View Post
I know it's a small sample size and all but ever since I started keeping track of my sessions I've been crushing it:

Good start, keep it up.
+1 with the PJ love, except I always feel strange trying to casually track tips after winning a hand. Just pretend to have a text?
InfiniteJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #824
deesnuts
veteran
 
deesnuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maltese
Posts: 2,958
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Started after BF 2/3/5 500 max buy-in
deesnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #825
msufan
grinder
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 695
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay4Myschool View Post
thats awesome bro! I am up 3848 in almost 300 hours which equates to a little under $14 an hour.

How does this compare to last year?
Last year I made $57/session, or about $14/hour. Since that's what you're making now, hopefully that means you'll be making $26/hour (or more!) in a year!
msufan is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive