Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Live No-Limit Hold’em Cash Discussion of no-limit hold’em live cash games of all stakes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 01:36 AM   #6901
de4df1sh
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
de4df1sh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: mobtown
Posts: 6,893
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraisetoomuch View Post
This should only happen if you win or lose more than 1000 bb in a session. DUCY?
this isn't necessarily true. for instance if our hourly rate is $ divided by hour than a session with a net gain/loss of 0 would have a negative affect on our winrate.
de4df1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:46 AM   #6902
BradleyT
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
BradleyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 9,448
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by de4df1sh View Post
this isn't necessarily true. for instance if our hourly rate is $ divided by hour than a session with a net gain/loss of 0 would have a negative affect on our winrate.
What's more likely is that he was just trying to convey the point that your running hourly total will change every day even when you have 1000 hours in.

1000 hours and $30,000 won = $30/hr
10 hour bad session and -$1200 = 1010 hours and $28,800 won = $28.51/hr

Your hourly changed by almost 10% just from 1 session.
BradleyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:38 AM   #6903
n0npareil
centurion
 
n0npareil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Rain City
Posts: 127
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi3 View Post
I'm located in Vancouver BC. I think it's OK here. Decent amount of noobs. Or maybe I'm just noob myself. I never had to table change once in my life yet, pots are rarely chopped. There's always people putting money in pot by limping wit medicore hands. I'm wondering If I should tournament it up just for fun even though I have like No experience, but dat bet to payout ratio...

The 2 sessions I lost I was tilted like mad. I raised 20 wit pocket 9s. 2 callers. I all in $120 on JJ10 board. Turns out one has AJ and one has 910 diamonds and hits the flush.

Then previously before I was tilted cuz I couldn't let KK go on a A85 board. I called down light I guess. Villain shows A7 2 pair at the end and stacked me $30+ every street.

I agree with 1000 hrs needed for sample size. I don't ever go though If I feel tilted in anyway. Emotions can really get you on the tables when ur down. But **** tbh, I want to hit BBJ the most payout is 150k+ total.
How deep are the other plays usually playing?
n0npareil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:07 AM   #6904
kenshi3
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 282
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0npareil View Post
How deep are the other plays usually playing?
Deep? The buy in is $300 and ppl are usually under that , unless they're winning.. lol .. if you mean cash reloads... a donk in here and there so far. Picked up $400 again today, had some feminine luck help in roulette though , but almost got in **** cuz it turned out to be friends friends GF LOL. Will continue sessioning soon.
kenshi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:20 AM   #6905
HappyLuckBox
old hand
 
HappyLuckBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,489
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi3 View Post
I'm located in Vancouver BC. I think it's OK here. Decent amount of noobs. Or maybe I'm just noob myself. I never had to table change once in my life yet, pots are rarely chopped. There's always people putting money in pot by limping wit medicore hands. I'm wondering If I should tournament it up just for fun even though I have like No experience, but dat bet to payout ratio...

The 2 sessions I lost I was tilted like mad. I raised 20 wit pocket 9s. 2 callers. I all in $120 on JJ10 board. Turns out one has AJ and one has 910 diamonds and hits the flush.

Then previously before I was tilted cuz I couldn't let KK go on a A85 board. I called down light I guess. Villain shows A7 2 pair at the end and stacked me $30+ every street.

I agree with 1000 hrs needed for sample size. I don't ever go though If I feel tilted in anyway. Emotions can really get you on the tables when ur down. But **** tbh, I want to hit BBJ the most payout is 150k+ total.
No offense kenshi, but from reading this post it seems you need to work hard on your game, fundamentals and mentality, if you want to beat it for a decent sustainable rate.
HappyLuckBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #6906
kenshi3
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 282
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Yep just had a losing session of $400

Called off a all in flush on wit top pair of 10s with 10 7, and villain shows Q6 hearts.

Then lost KK to AA on 10 8 6 board for remaining $250 stack.

I realized after how bad I played and so many things I could have done better, just not enough experience ... yet.
kenshi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:30 AM   #6907
GrindPokerAllDay
banned
 
GrindPokerAllDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: In a poker room near you.
Posts: 2,326
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Kenshi you sound like a super fishy degen by your posts. The hands you lost were terribad even for a titled amateur player. I hope you still have a job and then you will be able to continue to work on your game in the meantime with the money not meaning much.
GrindPokerAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #6908
chriswt
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 224
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindPokerAllDay View Post
Kenshi you sound like a super fishy degen by your posts. The hands you lost were terribad even for a titled amateur player. I hope you still have a job and then you will be able to continue to work on your game in the meantime with the money not meaning much.
Was looking at your PG&C thread as well. Think you should be looking to start from 5NL online. Build up a roll till you're beating 50NL comfortably then shot take at live 1/2 or 1/3.
chriswt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #6909
GrindPokerAllDay
banned
 
GrindPokerAllDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: In a poker room near you.
Posts: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswt View Post
Was looking at your PG&C thread as well. Think you should be looking to start from 5NL online. Build up a roll till you're beating 50NL comfortably then shot take at live 1/2 or 1/3.
Mine? If you read it you would see that I already beat 50NL and have beaten live 2/5 for a living for over 2 years. Over the past month I have been crushing 5/10. However you will also see that I have dealt with major mental game issues and have played pretty terribly at times. That being said even I have never played as horribly as his KK or 99 hand.

FWIW, it does appear that I have gotten over the mental game issues for the most part.
GrindPokerAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #6910
chriswt
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 224
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

No lol kenshi3 sorry for not clarifying
chriswt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #6911
GrindPokerAllDay
banned
 
GrindPokerAllDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: In a poker room near you.
Posts: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswt View Post
No lol kenshi3 sorry for not clarifying
LoL oops. Gonna go check out his thread.
GrindPokerAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:22 PM   #6912
kenshi3
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 282
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindPokerAllDay View Post
Kenshi you sound like a super fishy degen by your posts. The hands you lost were terribad even for a titled amateur player. I hope you still have a job and then you will be able to continue to work on your game in the meantime with the money not meaning much.
Well I actually had the winning tilt last session cuz I won $400 from roulette in 5 mins due to some hot chick picking numbers for me. I admit I played the first $200 very poorly, cbetting into 5 ppl $20 with nothing on flop and get called by 2, then shut down and get owned by low pair in the end. Had top pair wit 10 7 on a flush board and gave away my whole stack to a Q6 hearts.

For my 2nd $200, I played very fairly well I believe, climbed back up to $250, but just that KK vs AA hand that really troubled me, but now I understand how to beat it, I can avoid it better next time. Hopefully.

I do have a part time job that gets me 1.2k per month approx. Switching to full time soon now that I'm done with school, but might find a higher paying job if they don't offer me a better position.

I don't enjoy playing online, because I simply hate having a casino at home, it really tilts me. I understand I can learn alot of hands etc, but I already burned over $600 in pokerstars. I might get back to it once I earn some more in 1/2 Live because the games are just so much more entertaining, fun and softer to play. I live like 10 mins away from the 2nd best poker room available in town. Also my family is against "gambling" in general.

I bought coaching and invested around $600 in there as well, he taught me the basics and such. I wish I could continue , but it costs $100 per session and my roll is too low to do.

Im fortunate enough to be still up in my live poker career, as I did hit a 1.3k win last week (got AK 8 times and all of them won me pots) , and dedicated to playing some solid poker live to build enough of a roll to try 2/5. And lastly I thank you all who replied to my posts, it has really helped me out. Please continue to do so. =)
kenshi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #6913
GrindPokerAllDay
banned
 
GrindPokerAllDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: In a poker room near you.
Posts: 2,326
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Stop playing roulette
GrindPokerAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #6914
HappyLuckBox
old hand
 
HappyLuckBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,489
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Stop playing pit games, stop raising 72o (from your pgnc thread), and stop dreaming about hitting a jackpot.
HappyLuckBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #6915
chriswt
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 224
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Honestly sounds like you're hiring a marathon trainer while you're still learning how to walk. Your money at the end of the day so spend it at however a steep learning curve you want to tackle. But rather than dump $100 an hour on a coach, or blow $600 playing 100NL online, maybe you should be starting with a $40 deposit, seeing if you can tackle 2NL, then 5NL when you hit $100? Get thousands and thousands of hands in, build upon your fundamentals so you're not spewing away thousands of dollars in LLSNL without any proper range analysis, reads, or otherwise. Then consider hiring a coach, playing higher stakes online, and crushing the live scene.
chriswt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #6916
Phatty
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,834
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Bar none the most important quality for a poker player to posses IMO is patience. Some people don't have it.
Phatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #6917
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,396
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Surpassed a personal milestone yesterday, booking my $50K in profit in my 1/3 NL game (ha, session was so awesome I actually surpassed the $51K mark).

As someone who has switched from live low stakes limit (putting in a lol 2000+ hours at those stakes/games), I can't believe how much much much more profitable the live low stakes NL game has turned out to be.

GthedarksidehasbeengoodtomeG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #6918
SammyZ
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbledygeek View Post
Surpassed a personal milestone yesterday, booking my $50K in profit in my 1/3 NL game (ha, session was so awesome I actually surpassed the $51K mark).

As someone who has switched from live low stakes limit (putting in a lol 2000+ hours at those stakes/games), I can't believe how much much much more profitable the live low stakes NL game has turned out to be.

GthedarksidehasbeengoodtomeG
Congrats. How many hours did that take?
SammyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #6919
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,396
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyZ View Post
Congrats. How many hours did that take?
Thanks. About 1641 hours.

Ha, I just realize I often wear my ~winrate on my back (I often wear a hockey jersey with #31 to the poker room).

GcluelessNLnoobG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #6920
Koss
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Playing Recreationally
Posts: 6,011
Good job gg. If you don't mind me asking what was your biggest downswing along the way? I have just started playing somewhat seriously again and am winning at a similar rate. Unfortunately I'm a bit under rolled and am curious how rough it could get.
Koss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #6921
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,396
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koss View Post
Good job gg. If you don't mind me asking what was your biggest downswing along the way? I have just started playing somewhat seriously again and am winning at a similar rate. Unfortunately I'm a bit under rolled and am curious how rough it could get.
I think I've probably run like the sun regarding downswings, so I'm probably not the one to ask.

I've never booked a 5 BI (500bb) downswing at my 1/3 NL game. I've twice come close to that (mid 400bbs, I've posted both those cases in my 1000 hours well, I believe they were short 3 and 4 session streaks). And once within an individual session I found myself over the 5 BI line thanks to a sucky previous session and a sucky current session, but I went on to turn that current session into a win, so I've never officially booked a 5 BI downswing.

So, yeah, it is what it is. My guess is that this is a combination of I Play In An Awesome Game + My Conservative Overall Style + I Am God's Older Better Looking Brother.

GfeelssorryforthosewhoonlyrunlikegodG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #6922
scourrge
centurion
 
scourrge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 175
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbledygeek View Post
I think I've probably run like the sun regarding downswings, so I'm probably not the one to ask.

I've never booked a 5 BI (500bb) downswing at my 1/3 NL game. I've twice come close to that (mid 400bbs, I've posted both those cases in my 1000 hours well, I believe they were short 3 and 4 session streaks). And once within an individual session I found myself over the 5 BI line thanks to a sucky previous session and a sucky current session, but I went on to turn that current session into a win, so I've never officially booked a 5 BI downswing.

So, yeah, it is what it is. My guess is that this is a combination of I Play In An Awesome Game + My Conservative Overall Style + I Am God's Older Better Looking Brother.

GfeelssorryforthosewhoonlyrunlikegodG
Jeeeeeeeeez...
scourrge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #6923
Phatty
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,834
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbledygeek View Post
forthosewhoonlyrunlikegodG
Play enough hands, everyone will "run" exactly the same ... although the way we play is drastically different from one player to the next.
Phatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #6924
GoBlue11
adept
 
GoBlue11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatty View Post
Play enough hands, everyone will "run" exactly the same ... although the way we play is drastically different from one player to the next.
Not in live poker.
GoBlue11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #6925
bip!
Slow Pony
 
bip!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: not on urban dictionary...
Posts: 13,671
[(variance spread) / hours] approaches zero as hours goes to infinity but (variance spread) itself does not approach zero at all... it continues to grow to infinity itself - so actually, there is no exact result... ever
bip! is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive