Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Live No-Limit Hold’em Cash Discussion of no-limit hold’em live cash games of all stakes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #4626
Illiterate
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 1,237
Pretty good first 3 months of 2013. +9575 in 138 hours (90% 2/5, the rest being PLO and an uncapped 1/2 home game.) Volume is pretty low, but my work schedule didn't work out as planned. Should have more free nights to play the rest of this year.
Illiterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #4627
kb12345
banned
 
kb12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 720
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid face View Post
seems we are in the mutual admiration society my man. I couldnt agree with you more in terms of "going pro". I tell all the young dudes I meet to find something else to do cuz this is in fact a dead end job. I really dont care "how much u love it man". Get back to me in 5, 10, 15, or 20 years. You will not love it I promise you this. It is a lonely, frustrating, NEVER ENDING job. It is a JOB and there are none of the benefits that come with a normal job. My honest opinoin is the ceiling on vegas 2/5 is closer to 60 but that is nit picking.
What total BS. But keep telling reasonably good players that, so they dont try become pro's, the less people playing the better.
kb12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #4628
Richard Parker
banned
 
Richard Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Right Side of Variance
Posts: 13,951
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

LOL...

squid told the truth.
Richard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:57 PM   #4629
iLikeCaliDonks
banned
 
iLikeCaliDonks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California
Posts: 15,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by squid face View Post
seems we are in the mutual admiration society my man. I couldnt agree with you more in terms of "going pro". I tell all the young dudes I meet to find something else to do cuz this is in fact a dead end job. I really dont care "how much u love it man". Get back to me in 5, 10, 15, or 20 years. You will not love it I promise you this. It is a lonely, frustrating, NEVER ENDING job. It is a JOB and there are none of the benefits that come with a normal job. My honest opinoin is the ceiling on vegas 2/5 is closer to 60 but that is nit picking.
So you think there is no such thing as passion? A light inside of you that never burns out until your not able physically/mentally to keep up anymore?

One thing I heard when I was younger. "Find something your passionate about and you will never work a day in your life".

That's how poker should feel to you guys. Maybe its just me, but everytime I walk in the casino I still get that anxious feeling. The ringing of the slot machines and the neon lights from this as well. Walk into the poker room and feel's like the floor of NYSE. Just trading chips instead of stocks. I feel blessed to just be there and not the hood looking at the poor, crack heads, meth heads and drama. The poker room is peaceful I can play for 30 years no problem.
iLikeCaliDonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:58 AM   #4630
ATsai
veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Orange County/LA, CA
Posts: 2,409
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

ILCD, you can't play for 30 years because you have no bankroll despite all your passion.

Meanwhile, I have no passion for the game, yet I got stacks of money.

Poker is a hustle. Save passion for other pursuits because passion won't help you much at all in poker. Having common sense and a strong character is 1000x more important than passion.
ATsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:26 AM   #4631
kb12345
banned
 
kb12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 720
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Parker View Post
LOL...

squid told the truth.
Go work a normal job making 45k a year taxed, which is the median.
kb12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:23 AM   #4632
squid face
ChatThreadPrez
 
squid face's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: grabbin c-notes from the money tree
Posts: 10,266
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb12345 View Post
What total BS. But keep telling reasonably good players that, so they dont try become pro's, the less people playing the better.
not sure what your point is here champ. I do not poast conjecture or "BS"- simply stating my personal thoughts from years and years on the scene
squid face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:46 AM   #4633
Richard Parker
banned
 
Richard Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Right Side of Variance
Posts: 13,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb12345 View Post
Go work a normal job making 45k a year taxed, which is the median.
You're too young to know what a real job is, let alone a normal job.

There are many players who have been around the scene will tell you the same thing that squid did, and that is called wisdom.

But hey whatever, some "reasonably good" players rather be told that they can make it, somehow.
Richard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:09 AM   #4634
feel wrath
The Situation
 
feel wrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: lost on the turn
Posts: 23,906
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Parker View Post
You're too young to know what a real job is, let alone a normal job.

There are many players who have been around the scene will tell you the same thing that squid did, and that is called wisdom.

But hey whatever, some "reasonably good" players rather be told that they can make it, somehow.

my POV would be that both sides are right. I've never been a full time poker player and never will be/want to be, unless I can morph into old man coffee in about 20 years when I'm retired etc.

I've done some pretty ****ty jobs man. worked in a metal factory, been a garbage man, been a dishwasher, been a bouncer. Playing poker full time is better than any of these. You're your own boss, you have freedom to choose hours, days, locations, you pay no tax etc etc

but it's certainly not the golden ticket and I think many young guys miss this in the rush of making loads of money for a young guy and the supposed glamour compared to guys in 'proper' jobs. To a large degree your earnings are capped, unless you stake/coach, there's no leverage and it takes you down a single road - you reduce your options considerably. and it seems to be a million times less fun when you're doing it for your paycheck week in week out

If I was life coaching young guys considering poker as a career, I'd advise they invest in a full time career and then played liked 15-20 hours a week over the weekend. they stay in touch with their game and have a profitable hobby/passion while giving themselves a **** ton more options down the track
feel wrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:12 AM   #4635
Richard Parker
banned
 
Richard Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Right Side of Variance
Posts: 13,951
You're right about having had crappy jobs, but few would consider those to be anything other than short term.

squid was basically saying that poker is in the same category with very little long term potential. Whether the counter was coming from the same place, I am not sure.
Richard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #4636
coffmaer
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 168
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

I think most people that play live professionally in their 20's don't plan on playing it their whole life.
coffmaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #4637
Randal_Graves
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Randal_Graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: @tj_jurk
Posts: 10,128
I want this to be something I do 10-20 hours a week on my off days for a nice chunk of side income to supplement my normal income from my regular job. I haven't even played 1000 hours live yet and I realize that although I love the rush I get from playing now, I don't wanna turn into some of the people I see inhabit the casinos here in AC playing for a living.
Randal_Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #4638
11t
Bo Pelini's #1 Fan
 
11t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Spewville
Posts: 31,421
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

45k a year with benefits is like ~75k/year playing poker given stress/no health insurance/no retirement plan
11t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #4639
squid face
ChatThreadPrez
 
squid face's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: grabbin c-notes from the money tree
Posts: 10,266
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal_Graves View Post
I want this to be something I do 10-20 hours a week on my off days for a nice chunk of side income to supplement my normal income from my regular job. I haven't even played 1000 hours live yet and I realize that although I love the rush I get from playing now, I don't wanna turn into some of the people I see inhabit the casinos here in AC playing for a living.
Beautifully stated sir. This is how i believe poker should be played. Side income keeping it fun but non essential
squid face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #4640
Avaritia
Confirmed 2500 hour haver
 
Avaritia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,215
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLikeCaliDonks View Post
So you think there is no such thing as passion? A light inside of you that never burns out until your not able physically/mentally to keep up anymore?

One thing I heard when I was younger. "Find something your passionate about and you will never work a day in your life".

That's how poker should feel to you guys. Maybe its just me, but everytime I walk in the casino I still get that anxious feeling. The ringing of the slot machines and the neon lights from this as well. Walk into the poker room and feel's like the floor of NYSE. Just trading chips instead of stocks. I feel blessed to just be there and not the hood looking at the poor, crack heads, meth heads and drama. The poker room is peaceful I can play for 30 years no problem.
On the real, this was beautifully said ILCD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feel wrath View Post

If I was life coaching young guys considering poker as a career, I'd advise they invest in a full time career and then played liked 15-20 hours a week over the weekend. they stay in touch with their game and have a profitable hobby/passion while giving themselves a **** ton more options down the track
I'm 25 and this is what I'm doing. Having the consistent income from my career is awesome, and I try to hammer out at least 15 hours a week at da pokahz (with a completely separate bankroll).

I have a higher hourly with poker, which is a solid brag as I am lucky in that I have a great career. But the bigger reasons for sticking with career are as you said more options down the road.
Avaritia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #4641
wj94
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 7,722
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaritia View Post
I'm 25 and this is what I'm doing. Having the consistent income from my career is awesome, and I try to hammer out at least 15 hours a week at da pokahz (with a completely separate bankroll).

I have a higher hourly with poker, which is a solid brag as I am lucky in that I have a great career. But the bigger reasons for sticking with career are as you said more options down the road.
x3. I'm 27 and have consistent income from my "real job" but the extra money from poker is nice. Goes towards my house down payment fund, retirement savings, and toys for my car. If I had to grind out a living from poker just to pay the bills it wouldn't be nearly as much fun. I probably play more hours than the average person who has a "real job" though.

Started my foray into 2/5 this month with a few short sessions, most 2-4 hours, will probably play more 2/5 in April and see what happens. Had a pretty terrible last week of the month but one run-good day saved it for me. A little unhappy with some of my play this month, probably could have won a lot more if I hadn't made a few stupid hero calls and bluffs. March results (2/5 results in red, the rest are 1/2):

Total sessions: 27
Winning sessions: 17
Losing sessions: 10
March win percentage: 63%
YTD win percentage: 74.7%
Biggest win: $1,127
Biggest loss: $700
Total profit for the month: $4,368
Average win for the month: $169.78
Total profit year-to-date: $18,099
Total average win for the year: $218.06



March graph:



Year-to-date graph:

wj94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #4642
iLikeCaliDonks
banned
 
iLikeCaliDonks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California
Posts: 15,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaritia View Post
On the real, this was beautifully said ILCD.


Thanks man finally someone who feels what I say. I love being a poker player.
iLikeCaliDonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #4643
BookToMarket
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
BookToMarket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: kg
Posts: 7,957
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

wj94: I'm pretty envious that you have a real job and were able to log so much time playing poker in March. How many hours was all of that? It looks like you played about 24 days out of the month. That would be impressive for a full-time poker pro. So how many hours a month do you work your "real job"??

I'm in the camp with others where my hourly rate at poker exceeds my "real job" hourly rate and for the foreseeable future I'm doing it as supplementary income. Along the lines of what ILCD said, the stability of a real job is nice but I never look forward to going to work and I always look forward to playing poker. I think about this sometimes and if I was retired I'd probably be spending a good amount of time playing poker because I legitimately love playing it.
BookToMarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #4644
wj94
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 7,722
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookToMarket View Post
wj94: I'm pretty envious that you have a real job and were able to log so much time playing poker in March. How many hours was all of that? It looks like you played about 24 days out of the month. That would be impressive for a full-time poker pro. So how many hours a month do you work your "real job"??

I'm in the camp with others where my hourly rate at poker exceeds my "real job" hourly rate and for the foreseeable future I'm doing it as supplementary income. Along the lines of what ILCD said, the stability of a real job is nice but I never look forward to going to work and I always look forward to playing poker. I think about this sometimes and if I was retired I'd probably be spending a good amount of time playing poker because I legitimately love playing it.
I work from home, so pretty much however many hours I feel like working. My "real job" never really ends though since I answer phone calls/emails after hours and on weekends. All in all, I probably work my real job 40-50 hours/week but some of those hours are more like screwing around on the internet and watching TV while sort of getting work-related things done. Poker is probably 30-40 hours/week on average.
wj94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #4645
pokerodox
The Situation
 
pokerodox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: can never leave
Posts: 4,890
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Here are my graphs for this year, from PokerJournal. Cash games only, then tournaments, then combined. All cash games are 2/5 (300 max buy-in) or 3/5 (500 max buy-in). The tourneys are $75 buyin, about 30 entrants. First time posting pics from photobucket. Hope it works.





pokerodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #4646
pokerodox
The Situation
 
pokerodox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: can never leave
Posts: 4,890
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Think I got it.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
pokerodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #4647
Randinho
grinder
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 420
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

I played poker "for a living" for several years, a mix of online/live. I sarcastically quote that because I was about the worst poker professional out there. I played when I felt like it and only ever made enough to get by. I was more interested in partying with friends, playing video games, spending time with gf's and whatever else other than working. Let's just say the growing up process for me has been slower than most people as I'm currently 30. At the start of 2012 I finally decided to get a life as it were and got a real job. As luck would have it I found something I enjoy doing and excel at and have moved up rapidly and plan on making a career out of it. I hardly played any poker for most of the year and was all but done with the game until FTP relaunched and I had money on there. Rather than cash out I decided to play and have had a fair amount of success at it, not to mention it renewed my interest in the game. With the added cash boost I have played some sessions of 1/2 sporadically and have renewed my love of the game. Like was recently stated by ILCD there is just that feeling you get entering the poker room and being there playing cards and I have that as well. With a solid career behind me I feel I am once again able to pursue my passion except now will be doing it right. Proper BRM, less hours and a stable income behind me. I plan to become a more active member of this section of the forum as I start putting more and more time into live games. For the moment I will play online (proper BRM) but I plan to be mostly playing live by June at the latest.
Randinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:20 AM   #4648
Brad Childress
adept
 
Brad Childress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Shaker Heights, OH
Posts: 1,129
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

You guys are gambling addicts. Congrats, I hope you enjoy that "feeling," it's better than what I feel when I enter a poker room, disgust and dread.
Brad Childress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #4649
DreamIsDestiny
grinder
 
DreamIsDestiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The level above yours
Posts: 500
How you perceive your environment and surroundings is more important than what your environment and surroundings actually are.

If you feel disgust and dread when you walk in the poker room, and you're on this forum, then you're doing something wrong.
DreamIsDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #4650
ikestoys
banned
 
ikestoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: and don't vote trump/sanders
Posts: 94,444
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Childress View Post
You guys are gambling addicts.

ikestoys is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive