Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Live No-Limit Hold’em Cash Discussion of no-limit hold’em live cash games of all stakes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2020, 04:18 PM   #25101
djevans
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: springfield, VA
Posts: 4,747
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSpade84 View Post
I made a larger post, and it was moved to the Poker Goals and Challenges section. But I wanted to share my first 1k hrs results here too. This covers about 3 yrs of recreational play with several long breaks. I played on average once a week, until about 3-4 months ago when I started to play more full time since COVID landed me in the unemployment department.

Unfortunately, my card rooms are on a COVID break so it looks like this will wrap it up for this year as well. Here is the break down by game:

1-2NL $500max: +$15,407 over 493hrs for $31.25/hr

1-3NL $300max: +$9,867 over 312hrs for $31.63/hr

2-5NL $1,000max: +$8,300 over 203hrs for $40.89/hr


e

Thankfully, I've had only one protracted down swing; almost $6k, and it all happened at 1-2NL. That was rough, but I took a long break at the end of that and came back better for it.
You could consider traveling - I know a lot of pros that have. I think USA is going into lock down again - especially with the Biden win. You have decent results - pretty similar to mine when I first started. To get a better win rate you're gonna need to master bet sizes. Figure out what you think they have and bet the amount they will call. I've even bet $10 on the river into a $200 pot because I figured they were weak on a A7TJ4 board. They called me with 79. $10 is better than no dollars. At least half the players at 2/5 will play the correct pre-flop ranges but will make mistakes post flop. I make mistakes all the time, but not enough to wreck my win rate.
djevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:44 PM   #25102
BlueSpade84
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 285
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by djevans View Post
You could consider traveling - I know a lot of pros that have. I think USA is going into lock down again - especially with the Biden win. You have decent results - pretty similar to mine when I first started. To get a better win rate you're gonna need to master bet sizes. Figure out what you think they have and bet the amount they will call. I've even bet $10 on the river into a $200 pot because I figured they were weak on a A7TJ4 board. They called me with 79. $10 is better than no dollars. At least half the players at 2/5 will play the correct pre-flop ranges but will make mistakes post flop. I make mistakes all the time, but not enough to wreck my win rate.
Thanks. I have a family and am geographically restricted. Besides, I'm not aiming to play full time. I am finishing a degree and plan on playing once a week for fun/extra cash once I am working. Just trying to get through the COVID time and kinda been counting on poker money since I'm not getting enough unemployment to make it in the meantime.

Appreciate the kind words though.
BlueSpade84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:47 PM   #25103
reaper6788
Pooh-Bah
 
reaper6788's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: bring online back to US!
Posts: 3,772
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Nice results blue spade. A $6k downswing in 1/2 would drive me bonkers, major respect for toughing that out.

Edit: My $4100 downswing at 1/3 got me thinking about hanging it up for good but I've gone a massive heater that's put me at $25/hr ish overall so I'm feeling better.

Last edited by reaper6788; 11-22-2020 at 09:52 PM.
reaper6788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:19 PM   #25104
iraisetoomuch
banned
 
iraisetoomuch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,456
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

2k bb+ downswing are no joke.
iraisetoomuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:25 PM   #25105
Dizzyqtp
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dizzyqtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,384
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

posted in your other thread also but very nice results
Dizzyqtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:31 AM   #25106
BlueSpade84
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 285
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper6788 View Post
Nice results blue spade. A $6k downswing in 1/2 would drive me bonkers, major respect for toughing that out.

Edit: My $4100 downswing at 1/3 got me thinking about hanging it up for good but I've gone a massive heater that's put me at $25/hr ish overall so I'm feeling better.
Thanks for the kind words. Thankfully it was the only real losing streak I've had. It was pretty demoralizing for sure. I took several months off poker as a result. In hindsight I was definitely off my A game by the end of the streak and probably on my C game fairly often. It can be ridiculously hard to think straight after your 10th beat down in a row.

I think I was playing about 2 times per week then, and went 2 months without a winning session. I hope that never happens again!

Thanks to everyone for the nice words, and good wishes . Good luck at the tables!
BlueSpade84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:45 PM   #25107
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,407
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Awesome results BlueSpade!

Ggogogo!,imoG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #25108
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,407
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

So in 2020, I did something for the very first time in my 15 years of recording my recreational poker results:

I lost money.

I got in a whole 12 sessions / 105.25 hours of 1/3 NL in 2020. My last session was on March 8, 2020, just before all our local casinos closed (and they have yet to reopen).

Overall, I lost $1.

For an hourly winrate in 2020 of -$0.01 / hour.

ONE ****ING DOLLAR.

GOD. DAMMIT.



Ggoodbye2020,don'tletthedoorhityouintheassasyoulea veG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #25109
Garick
Oberbiergenießer
 
Garick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Do you even math, bruh?
Posts: 24,620
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

GG, I'll play you HU online until you win a dollar from me (or I bust you) if you'd like.
Garick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #25110
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,407
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Lol, thanks G!

GbutIlivewithmyresults,theyarewhattheyare,nofudgee sG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:13 PM   #25111
flowrider
centurion
 
flowrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 110
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbledygeek View Post

Overall, I lost $1.

For an hourly winrate in 2020 of -$0.01 / hour.

ONE ****ING DOLLAR.

GOD. DAMMIT.
I was making $$ live for the 1st time in a while before the shutdown.

Funny that that $1 loss is merely a pie-in-the-sky aspiration for the majority of poker players (and vast majority of real 'gamblers')
flowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:32 AM   #25112
birdayy
old hand
 
birdayy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,364
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Thought i'd make a quick post since I finally cracked 1k hours in my database playing part time since 2018.

Hourly ended up being $109

Where I live we still have live poker running 5 handed.

Majority of the volume is at 5/5, though played as high as 10/20/40 during some tourney series.



birdayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:51 PM   #25113
Angrist
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,884
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Well it's that time of year again, so for 2020 ....

72.9 hours of $1/2 NLHE, lost $144 for a stunning WR of -$1.98/hr.

Not my first losing year, 2012 and 2013 were both rough with a terrible downswing and some work/life stuff that was not good for my game. No movement on any of the poker rooms around here re-opening, and a lot of the home game action is $2/5 or $5/5 PLO that's outside my BR. **** 2020.

Oh, and the website I've used for years to record sessions is gone. Have my summary spreadsheet, and a detailed log from July 2019, but I could have sworn I had a backup from the end of 2019 that I can't find. So once again **** 2020
Angrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:26 PM   #25114
DumbosTrunk
Pooh-Bah
 
DumbosTrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 4,254
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

My 2020 was crazy (wasn't all of ours?). Couple months off due to shutdown. Biggest downswing ever ($10k), biggest upswing ever, great 5-card omaha results, where I focused most of my time. Relatively poor hold 'em results (lots of run bad, AA never held somehow, some play bad too of course). Very promising big monthly wins near the end of the year though. (Note: 2/2 games are all PLO, I incorrectly inputted some as hold 'em.)

2,100 hours, $45,000 (sans-promo/tourneys).

Binked one and only HE/PLO tourney I entered for $1,500, plus about $2k promo money. Not bad.

Here's to 2021!




Last edited by DumbosTrunk; 01-01-2021 at 06:54 PM.
DumbosTrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:30 PM   #25115
Petrucci
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 4,266
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Same as me Dumbos. Had some crazy swings this year, both up and down. I take that as a sign of me being a better player, i dont back down on any +EV spot no matter how thin it may be. Ive also played alot of my hours in high variance half/half game with NL and PLO with huge action this year.
Petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:57 PM   #25116
DumbosTrunk
Pooh-Bah
 
DumbosTrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 4,254
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Yeah, like you I made huge progress as a player towards the end of this year in spite of the somewhat modest overall results. Table presence, mental game, using my BR to play as +EV as possible.

After the runbad/downswing ended, end-of-year monthly profits were five figures, so I expect great things in 2021!
DumbosTrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:00 PM   #25117
DumbosTrunk
Pooh-Bah
 
DumbosTrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 4,254
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garick View Post
GG, I'll play you HU online until you win a dollar from me (or I bust you) if you'd like.
GG, you still beat 95% of poker players with that winrate. I am sure you played better than them and just ran like a$$ over a small sample. That's live poker for you. Get 'em this year.
DumbosTrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:35 AM   #25118
sevencard2003
banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: las vegas
Posts: 2,642
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

its definitely true that almost any winrate no matter how low, beats the vast majority of poker players, but the vast majority of people at my table mocked me for winning about 40k a year and claimed that was horrible and anyone good at poker would earn much more than that. and yet im a 30 year winner which would be 40 times 30 for 1.2 million lifetime. these guys in my 15-30 big 0 game are so rich out here since no one is locked down like elsewhere they have no clue how broke the vast majority of the public is. remember romney told us once 47% are on govt assistance of some type and that most cannot come up with $1000 in a life saving emergency. there is usually about 100-150 players inside on any given day at between 10-15 tables going, and when i said im in the top 1-5% who win out of everyone in the room they treat me like im a fool. just because i have aspergers dont mean im dumb.
sevencard2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:16 AM   #25119
browni3141
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Florida
Posts: 5,145
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevencard2003 View Post
its definitely true that almost any winrate no matter how low, beats the vast majority of poker players, but the vast majority of people at my table mocked me for winning about 40k a year and claimed that was horrible and anyone good at poker would earn much more than that. and yet im a 30 year winner which would be 40 times 30 for 1.2 million lifetime. these guys in my 15-30 big 0 game are so rich out here since no one is locked down like elsewhere they have no clue how broke the vast majority of the public is. remember romney told us once 47% are on govt assistance of some type and that most cannot come up with $1000 in a life saving emergency. there is usually about 100-150 players inside on any given day at between 10-15 tables going, and when i said im in the top 1-5% who win out of everyone in the room they treat me like im a fool. just because i have aspergers dont mean im dumb.
I can’t think of a good reason to be talking about how much you win at the poker table. As for why not to, it’s tapping the tank and no one cares.

I am not good at social situations either but this is a terrible topic of conversation and it’s not a surprise that you’d be mocked.
browni3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:35 AM   #25120
sdfsgf
grinder
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 528
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Alright, here are the results for my first 289 hours of live poker. My first poker session (live or otherwise) was on opening day at the Encore in Boston in summer 2019, where I played 1/3NL. Around the same time I started some playing microstakes on ACR (mostly 2NL but more recently 10NLZ for just ~15K hands total -- I'm +12.6 BB/100 between the two).

Before the Covid shutdown, I played ~84 hours of $1/3 at the Encore for a winrate of $25/hr. During the first few months of quarantine I played a 50c/$1 online home game on Donkhouse and won $27/hr for 44 hours. When the New Hampshire cardrooms opened up over the summer, I played some 1/2 and 1/3 at Chasers and Boston Billiard Club (38 hours total at an average of lol $3.36/hr). I played a total of 44 hours on a Vegas trip where the net result was for me to collect chips from the Flamingo and drop them off at other casinos (roughly breaking even overall).

In July I finished my PhD and my wife and I moved to Atlanta. I started playing at a new charity room called Little Kings and Queens, mostly playing 1/3 and occasionally Big O when it goes. So far I'm at $14.56/hr over 53 hours. The time charge is killer -- it's $20 to get in for the day + $15/hr, so I'm effectively paying around $20/hr since I play short-ish sessions. But I enjoy poker as a hobby and I'm not looking to make any serious money, so it's fine with me. They do have a bigger $5/5 game that (from watching the livestreams) I think I'd be comfortable playing, but just don't have the bankroll/stomach for the swings right now. Maybe that's a goal for 2021. I've enjoyed interacting with everyone (for the most part) on the LLSNL forum over the past year.



sdfsgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:25 AM   #25121
feel wrath
The Situation
 
feel wrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: lost on the turn
Posts: 23,926
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by browni3141 View Post
I can’t think of a good reason to be talking about how much you win at the poker table. As for why not to, it’s tapping the tank and no one cares.

I am not good at social situations either but this is a terrible topic of conversation and it’s not a surprise that you’d be mocked.

Winrates, bankrolls, and financesWinrates, bankrolls, and finances
feel wrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:04 AM   #25122
Dream Crusher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dream Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas
Posts: 15,670
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Sevencard, you play pretty tight right? Pretty sure other players don't want to play with you because you are tight, buy-in short, and often hit and run. Telling them you are winning money (and quite a bit of money considering the stakes/buy-in) is just rubbing salt in their wounds. If I were you I'd start making up stories about how bad you are running and how much money you've been losing (especially since you play in multiple rooms, the lie should be easy enough).

Dumbo, you're putting in some serious hours.

Garick would crush GG. GG needs to work on his game or continue to have mediocre results, regardless of sample size. Not trying to be mean but that's the truth.
Dream Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:11 PM   #25123
msufan
grinder
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 695
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Birdayy, how do you play just one tournament of between $10K-$25K and manage to lose $5.3K on it? That's better than busting, but worse than a min-cash??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Crusher View Post
Sevencard, you play pretty tight right? Pretty sure other players don't want to play with you because you are tight, buy-in short, and often hit and run. Telling them you are winning money (and quite a bit of money considering the stakes/buy-in) is just rubbing salt in their wounds. If I were you I'd start making up stories about how bad you are running and how much money you've been losing (especially since you play in multiple rooms, the lie should be easy enough).
Sevencard, you would do well to listen to Dream Crusher here. Announcing how good you are will never end well.
msufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:54 AM   #25124
birdayy
old hand
 
birdayy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,364
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Quote:
Originally Posted by msufan View Post
Birdayy, how do you play just one tournament of between $10K-$25K and manage to lose $5.3K on it? That's better than busting, but worse than a min-cash??



Sevencard, you would do well to listen to Dream Crusher here. Announcing how good you are will never end well.
Hey mate, the sample includes what I've sold, so sold 50% for the 10.6k at Aussie Millions ��
birdayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:33 AM   #25125
Badreg2017
veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,900
re: Winrates, bankrolls, and finances

Here are my results for the last ~15 months. The 1/2 omaha was the world's most insane online home game that lasted about a month and then died. I logged all of those games as one session which is why my $/session is weirdly high. I also get lazy and sometimes when I play like 6 hours of 2/5 and 3 hours of T/20 in the same day, I log it all as 2/5 so that skews my 2/5 results a bit but not too much.

I know the 1/2 PLO results sound ridiculous, but I have the screenshots of the results as proof if needed.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The 2/5 I'm in now isn't quite as big as it was so I sincerely doubt the $63 is close to sustainable. $45-50 is probably realistic in current game conditions. I'm going to have to focus on playing more T/20 this year I think.
Badreg2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive