Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Live Low-stakes NL Discussion of up to 3/5 live no-limit, pot-limit and spread-limit Texas Hold'em poker games, situations and strategies.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #151
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 26,845
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

1/3 NL, 10 handed

Overall a fairly great action table, with at least 4 fantastic action players who are raise/calling with pretty much ATC. There are also 3 tight nits in the game (I'm one of them), rounded out by 3 typical average players.

The Villain is a well known action player, and when I was sitting beside him earlier he said his only goal tonight is to stack me or one of the other two nits. He'll raise preflop a lot, often attempting to get the nits out of the hand. He'll call 3bets very liberally trying to hit his piece of cheese in order to stack the 3better. He's in for about his 3rd BI.

Hero has a 0% raising range in this game but has been 3betting over the loose opens + calls a lot (maybe upwards of ~10 times?). A lot of my 3bets have been to $100 to setup a PSB flop shove if I get called. I have yet to show a hand. I've 3bet this Villain probably at least 5 times tonight, he's called most times and tank/folded to my flop shoves (I've yet to have a pair but he doesn't know that, he's basically putting me on preflop monsters, although I'm *slightly* wider than that).

Preflop: Hero ($400 effective with Villain) is SB with A K

Villain straddles his Button to $6, Hero limps SB, the 3 action players limp, Villain $25, Hero $125, Villain is only caller

Flop (HU, $160): Q T 9

My original plan was to shove the ~PSB on flops I whiffed and check flops I hit (Villain can be induced to spazz, especially if I check an Ace to him twice in a row attempting to rep an underpair). This flop, meh. Due to my stack being slightly larger this time, my preflop 3bet is the largest it's been, so I'm a little worried when Villain calls, especially with this flop. Although, I do have decent equity here (overs + gutshot) and obviously have good FE here against underpairs. I check (meh?). Villain checks back. Villain is aware I can slowplay, so he might not even bet his air here the first time. If he has a piece, he'll probably call it off on this board. But with a piece he's also just as scared of this board as I am.

Turn: 2

Check / check. I think both of us are checking for the exact same reasons on the flop, although I'm guessing a shove here by me again works a decent amount of the time (I flopped a monster, slowplayed it, that didn't work, and now I'm just going to get my money in before I get sucked out on).

River: 3

Hero shoves ~PSB. I figure I have decent FE against underpairs and maybe weakish pair (plus draw). It's possible he checked back some monsters on both streets attempting to trap. I think he might check back weak pairs (especially with draw) on both streets. I'm kinda doubting he checks back TP on both streets. Villain has never seen me (after many hours / years playing sporadically together) put this much money into a pot, get looked up, and expose no pair at the end.

Villain tanks and...

Spoiler:


GhighvariancegameG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #152
Dizzyqtp
old hand
 
Dizzyqtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,225
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

@gg I didn't know you ever bluffed I think I do prefer just shipping flop or giving up and checking it down, I think checking to the river really reduces our FE and makes it more likely we get called light.

Two from last night:

5-6 handed 2/5

H1:

Straddled pot. I open JT $35 in the CO, folds to straddle who calls.

Pot $70
Flop T53
He donks $35, I call.

Pot $170
Turn K
He leads $40, I call.

Pot $250.
River 8
He leads $50, I raise to $255

His range is pretty faceup as 1-pair (that most likely beats me) here and figured this was a good scare card to turn my T into a bluff. Hero has been caught turning a pair into a bluff on the river previously in the session (can't remember if V was at the table though) but has also shown down the goods in a few big pots.

Spoiler:



H2:

Hero opens A4 $20 UTG. UTG+1 and BTN call.

Pot $60
Flop 852
Hero cbets $45, both call

Pot $195
Turn 9
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $100, BTN folds, Hero calls.

Pot $395
River 2
Hero leads $250.

I figured I rep TT+ very well here as I should have very few bluffs in my range after check calling the turn. The two looks like a really bad bluff card on the surface - which is why I expect villain to give me credit for having almost all value vs his likely 8/9 or counterfeited 2p. Villain was also definitely capable of making laydowns and wasn't trying to stick a lot of money in light

Spoiler:
Dizzyqtp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:02 PM   #153
jc315
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 881
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

A gobbledygeek bluff....

@Dizzyqtp hand 2 is pretty interesting. Turn card seems like a good card to barrel. V's can certainly have 67s here. But given our hand and opening it UTG, I probably barrel that turn card a lot with SD+NFD. Being in a 3-way pot vs. heads-up is a big factor though I guess. As played if I did not barrel the turn I probably would have just x/f the river. Nice hand... I would've pressed all the wrong buttons in that one...
jc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #154
Dizzyqtp
old hand
 
Dizzyqtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,225
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc315 View Post
A gobbledygeek bluff....

@Dizzyqtp hand 2 is pretty interesting. Turn card seems like a good card to barrel. V's can certainly have 67s here. But given our hand and opening it UTG, I probably barrel that turn card a lot with SD+NFD. Being in a 3-way pot vs. heads-up is a big factor though I guess. As played if I did not barrel the turn I probably would have just x/f the river. Nice hand... I would've pressed all the wrong buttons in that one...
I would prefer to barrel the turn if one of the villains had folded on the flop or if a K/Q/J of diamonds had peeled. Once they both called the flop, I don't expect to get 2 folds on this specific turn card, and would probably also check/call a lot of my overpairs as well, so I was fine check/calling with the direct/implied odds I was given.

My initial reaction was to barrel turn as well though, so I think it's definitely close.
Dizzyqtp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:46 PM   #155
jc315
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 881
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

i'd like to hear thoughts on bet vs x/c vs x/f. i didnt work out the math at all. i like x/c the least but i see arguments for all.
jc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:04 PM   #156
Dizzyqtp
old hand
 
Dizzyqtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,225
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc315 View Post
i'd like to hear thoughts on bet vs x/c vs x/f. i didnt work out the math at all. i like x/c the least but i see arguments for all.
We definitely can't x/f to his sizing, we need 25.3% equity to call and we have 25% vs 2 pair and 33.5% if our ace is live (plus a few bluff cards) and that is just direct odds. We also should have plenty of implieds on certain rivers that complete our hand, since our straight is hidden and our flush is a backdoor.

I agree it may be better to barrel, but I think it's close and I explained my reasoning above - would like to hear others' thoughts as well.
Dizzyqtp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:08 PM   #157
Alexandar
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 566
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

Well im definitely guilty of being too loose and outleveling myself,i like this thread idea, these fun little bluffs worked last month at 2/5, doesnt mean they are very profitable, some are quite leaky in fact, others, pure madness #metagame

67dd MP opens. i 3b. HU. J10Ar. i check back. 4. MP 1/2pot. I call. Q. MP 1/2pot. I raise 2.8x fold

A2dd i open MP. 2 callers behind. K86hhh. Hero 1/3pot call call. 5o. Hero 1/2 pot fold call. 8o.*Hero 1/3pot. Fold

37ss LP opens. Hero 3b. Call. QQJr. Check. Hero 1/3pot. Call. Ko.*Check. Hero 1/2pot. Call. 7o. Check. Hero shoves pot. Foldd.




This is one is just jokes, not sure what my.image did to.this guy...

K8cc MP opens. Hero 3b. Call. A32r. Hero1/2pot. Call. Ao. Hero 3/4pot. Call??? 10. Check. Check. Villian tables Q8ss (spade on flop..)

78dd EP opens. Hero calls. Call behind. 53c9. EP 1/2 pot. Hero Call. Call. 5c. EP check. Hero check. Check. Jc.*Ep check. Hero 3/4 pot. Fold. Fold.

A2ss Hero opens Lp. BB calls. 2J5s. BB leads 3/4 pot. Hero raises 3.5x. EP.calls. Ks. BB checks. Hero 2/3pot. Fold.

Last edited by Alexandar; 11-07-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Alexandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:27 PM   #158
Alexandar
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 566
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyqtp View Post
@gg I didn't know you ever bluffed I think I do prefer just shipping flop or giving up and checking it down, I think checking to the river really reduces our FE and makes it more likely we get called light.

Two from last night:

5-6 handed 2/5

H1:

Straddled pot. I open JT $35 in the CO, folds to straddle who calls.

Pot $70
Flop T53
He donks $35, I call.

Pot $170
Turn K
He leads $40, I call.

Pot $250.
River 8
He leads $50, I raise to $255

His range is pretty faceup as 1-pair (that most likely beats me) here and figured this was a good scare card to turn my T into a bluff. Hero has been caught turning a pair into a bluff on the river previously in the session (can't remember if V was at the table though) but has also shown down the goods in a few big pots.

Spoiler:



H2:

Hero opens A4 $20 UTG. UTG+1 and BTN call.

Pot $60
Flop 852
Hero cbets $45, both call

Pot $195
Turn 9
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $100, BTN folds, Hero calls.

Pot $395
River 2
Hero leads $250.

I figured I rep TT+ very well here as I should have very few bluffs in my range after check calling the turn. The two looks like a really bad bluff card on the surface - which is why I expect villain to give me credit for having almost all value vs his likely 8/9 or counterfeited 2p. Villain was also definitely capable of making laydowns and wasn't trying to stick a lot of money in light

Spoiler:
Love these. H1 is well played, love the turn sizing of.villian lol, thats a tell

H2 i like too but im sceptical how well.we can rep.1010+ on this turnplay, 3way, diamond flushdraw comes in.... 1010+ probably sometimes bet/folds.. Im glad it.worked hehe

Nhs
Alexandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:36 PM   #159
Alexandar
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 566
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

GG,

I like the turn shove. Not much difference. I havent seen AK hold.to AQ in a Very long time
Alexandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:55 AM   #160
Amanaplan
acanalpanamA
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Getting There
Posts: 2,962
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

Some late night 1-2 action...

5 limps hero cks bb with 78o

667r
cks around
A turn
cks around
8 riv
hero ck, ck, MP $5, fold, BTN calls $5, hero ck-r $15, fold, fold, both smirk and fold.
Amanaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:06 AM   #161
Alexandar
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 566
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanaplan View Post
Some late night 1-2 action...

5 limps hero cks bb with 78o5

667r
cks around
A turn
cks around
8 riv
hero ck, ck, MP $5, fold, BTN calls $5, hero ck-r $15, fold, fold, both smirk and fold.
I fell asleep halfway through! Does bluffing with the.best hand count?
Alexandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:48 PM   #162
Amanaplan
acanalpanamA
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Getting There
Posts: 2,962
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandar View Post
I fell asleep halfway through! Does bluffing with the.best hand count?
Ha true, bluffing with the nuts is another thread.
Amanaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:19 PM   #163
Avaritia
Confirmed 2500 hour haver
 
Avaritia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,683
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

His calling range should be fairly inelastic gg (trying to fold out exactly 44-88), thus you can go for smaller sizing.

I think something got messed up in your pot size, but in any case you said psb otr, it can be half that, probably less.

You're getting called a ton, pretty much anything mp+, so that's why I'd choose very small sizing or check.
Avaritia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:53 AM   #164
P00cket9
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 19
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

2/2

Hero sitting in SB with 88 seen as solid winnig player by the whole table.

UTG Straddles to 4. 5 Callers in front of me and i complete. BB (whale) makes it 32 to go. 3 callers in front of me and i'm closing the action and call aswell (350BB deep with whale - cover the rest).

FLOP: J74RB Checks completly arround

TURN: 6s (bringing a backdoor fd)

I Check, BB makes it 40, 1 caller and i call aswell in sb.

River: 2s Pot (288€ in the Pot)

I decide to lead the river for 200 to rep the flush and get called by the BB after 10sec. The other caller tanked a minute and folded KJ. I said gg i bluffed and turned over my 88 and the whale shows me Ah7h.

Guess my bluff was terrible then but result oriented getting the best Hand to fold and thin value from a worse hand. I would rate this a 11/10 bluff
P00cket9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #165
Alexandar
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 566
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

folding out the nuts
but not the hand of secondbest
causes the erectile successes
Alexandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #166
TexasDonkem
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 80
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

1/3 9 handed.

Hero has sat on around $150 before entering and capturing two massive pots leaving a stack of $750 ish after making a set and a disguised flush freeroling a straight flush draw a few hands later. Should be perceived as solid.

V raises loose pre and IP but has shown weakness to a lot of aggression. Sat on around $600.

Folds to v OTB who bets $12, SB folds and hero calls 56dd from bb.

Flop $25
2 4 T one diamond two hearts.

Hero donks $15, v calls.

Turn $55
7 s
Hero bets $26, v calls. Here I'm ranging v on tx hands plus flush draws.

River $107
5s
Hero bets $85. Not sure my sizing was big enough here but it should look like a decent value bet.
TexasDonkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #167
about8pandas
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 19
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

1/2 8-handed
V has $85 stack, hero covers. Hero has been playing tight but occasionally raising pre with speculative hands for deception and meta-game. V is solid preflop and likes to fast play his big hands.

Hero open raises to $8 UTG +1 w/ K6 3 callers. I'm first to act and V is last to act.
Flop ($25) Q47
The flop gets checked around. The turn is 10 I bet $25 and only V calls. At this point, I don't put V on the K or A b/c he likely would have shoved right there.
River ($75) is 3, I shove $52 and hero thinks a bit and folds. I show him the bluff and he tells me he had 99.
about8pandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:54 PM   #168
Avaritia
Confirmed 2500 hour haver
 
Avaritia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,683
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDonkem View Post
1/3 9 handed.

Hero has sat on around $150 before entering and capturing two massive pots leaving a stack of $750 ish after making a set and a disguised flush freeroling a straight flush draw a few hands later. Should be perceived as solid.

V raises loose pre and IP but has shown weakness to a lot of aggression. Sat on around $600.

Folds to v OTB who bets $12, SB folds and hero calls 56dd from bb.

Flop $25
2 4 T one diamond two hearts.

Hero donks $15, v calls.

Turn $55
7 s
Hero bets $26, v calls. Here I'm ranging v on tx hands plus flush draws.

River $107
5s
Hero bets $85. Not sure my sizing was big enough here but it should look like a decent value bet.
This one isn't bad. Shows thought (whereas many of the hands posted here are folks randomly decicing to win a hand).

You also max your equity with 6 high. Better to be ip of course and better to have a rainbow board, but decent, imo
Avaritia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #169
Jarretman
veteran
 
Jarretman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canadaland
Posts: 2,380
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

I don't think you're ever getting V to fold a T otr and if you're ranging him on FDs and Ts then check river. He might fold 66, 88, 99 but that's about it. You beat his missed FDs
Jarretman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #170
br3nt00
veteran
 
br3nt00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,706
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

Quote:
Originally Posted by P00cket9 View Post
2/2



Hero sitting in SB with 88 seen as solid winnig player by the whole table.



UTG Straddles to 4. 5 Callers in front of me and i complete. BB (whale) makes it 32 to go. 3 callers in front of me and i'm closing the action and call aswell (350BB deep with whale - cover the rest).



FLOP: J74RB Checks completly arround



TURN: 6s (bringing a backdoor fd)



I Check, BB makes it 40, 1 caller and i call aswell in sb.



River: 2s Pot (288€ in the Pot)



I decide to lead the river for 200 to rep the flush and get called by the BB after 10sec. The other caller tanked a minute and folded KJ. I said gg i bluffed and turned over my 88 and the whale shows me Ah7h.



Guess my bluff was terrible then but result oriented getting the best Hand to fold and thin value from a worse hand. I would rate this a 11/10 bluff


I agree excellent bluff! Gutsy to rep the flush when either villain could have it, and perfect outcome folding a better hand and getting called by worse!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
br3nt00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:34 AM   #171
javi
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,720
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

I put some guy allin with AA on a Q82s flop but he rivered a ten while holding pocket tens. I almost got him to fold though.
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #172
Garick
Oberbiergenießer
 
Garick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Do you even math, bruh?
Posts: 17,109
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

I'm glad I gave this thread a chance. I figured it would mostly be brags and had it on "keep a careful eye and lock it if it gets e-peeny" watch when it started, but it's evolved into a pretty good strat thread.

I particularly like the "why this bluff is good/why this bluff is bad" analyses in the OP of some of the HHs, and would like to see more of that, and the discussions instead of just a litany of HHs. Would like to see some more failed bluffs posted in here for balance.
Garick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:41 AM   #173
Alexandar
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 566
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi View Post
I put some guy allin with AA on a Q82s flop but he rivered a ten while holding pocket tens. I almost got him to fold though.
Rofl, next time try staring him down angrily, he may fold
Alexandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #174
Dizzyqtp
old hand
 
Dizzyqtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,225
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garick View Post
Would like to see some more failed bluffs posted in here for balance.
Balanced post below:

Hand 1:

2/5 6 handed. Villain's first hand at the table he just transferred over with ~$800, late 20s WG.

one limp, Hero opens QTo $20 in the CO. SS/BB/Limper call.

Pot $80
Flop 823r
villain in bb donks $25
folds to hero who raises to $65, bb calls.

Pot $210
Turn 5cc
villain checks
Hero bets $110, villain tank calls

pot $430
River 5
villain checks
Hero bets $190,
Spoiler:



Hand 2 (different table):

2/5 full ring.

Fish opens $25 in EP. 4 calls, Hero calls with QJ in bb

Pot $150
Flop KT4
PFR cbets $80, folds to me I call.

Pot $310
Turn 8
I donk $200, he calls

Pot $710
River 5
I lead $380,
Spoiler:
Dizzyqtp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #175
Railbird_1211
centurion
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 107
Re: Tell me about your bluff today

$2/$5 in Vegas. Note that I was going to post this no matter which way this hand turned out. It actually popped into my head as I attempted it.

Table has been playing fairly TAG. This villain in particular I view as tight, but probably a tad too passive. He does C-bet and apply pressure here and there, but he isn't the type that applies relentless pressure on his opponents.

Hero has only shown down good cards, is playing aggressively postflop, but not getting out of line pre. Should have a very good image as I have continued to build my stack

OTTH

Hero ($1.5K) in the HJ raises to $25 with AQ

V1 ($1K) in the CO calls
V2 (Bu) calls
Blinds fold

Flop ($82): 6 6 9

Here leads $65, V1 raises to $175, hero reraises to $300, villain thinks for just a short bit and folds

Why it's a good bluff: Hero's range is completely uncapped while villain's is capped. Even if villain has TT-JJ (which I still think would have reraised PF), he's put in an awful spot here for his whole stack with an uncapped hero. Unlikely villain raises a 6 here given pretty dry board, and he can't continue with a 9.

Why it's a bad bluff: this has spew written all over it. Hero is taking a stab at this and hoping that villain is good enough to hand read. Hero is also hoping villain cannot take his thinking to the next level and question why AA or KK is 3Bing here instead of trying to pot control.
Railbird_1211 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online