Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Live Low-stakes NL Discussion of up to 3/5 live no-limit, pot-limit and spread-limit Texas Hold'em poker games, situations and strategies.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2018, 08:55 AM   #1
husler
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 58
softest low stakes games in the world

In your experiences, where are the softest live games up to 500nl in the world?
husler is offline  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
HawkesDave
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,011
Re: softest low stakes games in the world

Easy answer: Vegas.

Anytime you're dealing with a higher % of tourists and a lower % of locals, you're going to have better games. The same guy that's dropping hundreds on bad center bets in craps is going to be happy dumping away hundreds in poker without knowing what he's doing, too, because he equates it the same way: gambool.

My South Florida market is pretty soft overall but nothing compares to Vegas imo. This market still has way too many regs in it to be comparable to Vegas. I want a table with people drinking alcohol, and Vegas is the best place for it.
HawkesDave is offline  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:17 AM   #3
Petrucci
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,454
Re: softest low stakes games in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkesDave View Post
Easy answer: Vegas.

Anytime you're dealing with a higher % of tourists and a lower % of locals, you're going to have better games. The same guy that's dropping hundreds on bad center bets in craps is going to be happy dumping away hundreds in poker without knowing what he's doing, too, because he equates it the same way: gambool.

My South Florida market is pretty soft overall but nothing compares to Vegas imo. This market still has way too many regs in it to be comparable to Vegas. I want a table with people drinking alcohol, and Vegas is the best place for it.
During the WSOP and other busy weekends through the year thats probably true, but in off season/downtime thats not the case at all. For example i spent more than 2 months grinding in Vegas November and December last year (logged around 400 hours during that timespan), and the amount of easy money is not on the level you may think.

Vegas doesent only have alot of tourists: it also have the most amount of serious pros/semi pros/grinders/part time pros, loads of nitty OMC that doesent make very big mistakes for stacks, nitty local promotion grinders that logs hours of hours all around town+++.

I would go on the limb and say that many posters on this forum actually woudnt be able to beat 1-2 and 1-3 in Vegas over a meaningful sample during off season when the games is at its worst.
Petrucci is offline  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:17 AM   #4
momo_uk
old hand
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,994
softest low stakes games in the world

Antarctica.

They cold-4bet too much.
momo_uk is offline  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:23 AM   #5
HawkesDave
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,011
Re: softest low stakes games in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrucci View Post
During the WSOP and other busy weekends through the year thats probably true, but in off season/downtime thats not the case at all. For example i spent more than 2 months grinding in Vegas November and December last year (logged around 400 hours during that timespan), and the amount of easy money is not on the level you may think.

Vegas doesent only have alot of tourists: it also have the most amount of serious pros/semi pros/grinders/part time pros, loads of nitty OMC that doesent make very big mistakes for stacks, nitty local promotion grinders that logs hours of hours all around town+++.

I would go on the limb and say that many posters on this forum actually woudnt be able to beat 1-2 and 1-3 in Vegas over a meaningful sample during off season when the games is at its worst.
I've been to Vegas 19 times in the last 6 years, and only 2 were during WSOP. The games are soft in the off-seasons too. You just have to be more selective.

The problem with people going to Vegas in the off-season is that they still want to play only at the nicer rooms or don't do well with table selection. Some of my most profitable 1-2 sessions have been at the Flamingo, for example, where I practically have to close my eyes when I'm not in a hand because the room is such an uninhabitable dump. You see a table with a few stacks and a lot of drinks and go to town.

As far as 2-5, Bellagio can be very profitable as well but you have to get off bad tables. There's plenty of tourists playing poker at the Bellagio year-round. The last time I was there in January, for example, I had to leave my table nearly immediately because even though stacks were big, I very quickly saw where the action was headed. The second table I went to was great, but I kept getting my money in ahead and losing. I ended up nearly breaking even (lost like 30 bigs?) but on a normal day when variance goes your way, it's a crushable table.
HawkesDave is offline  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:33 AM   #6
Koss
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Playing Recreationally
Posts: 4,570
Re: softest low stakes games in the world

Have you played in Vegas? While soft games do exist I find the average games tougher (tighter and more aggressive) than my spot out here in mid michigan.
Koss is online now  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:37 AM   #7
Petrucci
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,454
Re: softest low stakes games in the world

Sure, i agree with table selecting and that is huge especially in Vegas. I logged hours all around the city when i was there in the slowest months of the year Nov/Dec, and i didnt have any tables where i felt without an edge- but still, the picture of Vegas casinos always have ****loads of clueless clowns spewing off buyin after buyin is vastly exagerrated.

I just dont think its true that Vegas have the softest games by far as a definitive answer to OPs question. During the WSOP its mayhem all around town with fish/donks from all around the world looking to drink/gamble it up (havent experienced anything like it elsewhere)- but that isnt remotely close to how it is during off season or rest of the year as mentioned. Infact Vegas its well known for the oposite: hard nitty grinder filled games compared to alot of other cities.
Petrucci is offline  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:55 AM   #8
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 6,009
Re: softest low stakes games in the world

If I was single and felt like making a year long road trip Id go with.....

Dec/Jan/Feb...S. Florida
Mar/Apr...WinStar in Oklahoma
May/June/July...Vegas
Aug/Sept....Maryland
Oct/Nov...New Orleans.....Actually I think New Orleans is the softest Ive ever seen.

There are also small remote rooms all around the country that most people have never heard of that are much much softer than any big named rooms. I played a 4 table room in Bangor, Maine that was so soft, I think I could at least break even without ever looking at my cards.
MikeStarr is offline  
Old 04-16-2018, 10:12 AM   #9
HawkesDave
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,011
Re: softest low stakes games in the world

Ok, I'll alter my stance a bit to maybe appease you guys: On a given day, Vegas will have the largest volume of soft games but at certain times of the year it will require careful table selection since they also have a large amount of local pros and grinders.

You don't find drunken tourist games too often anymore in South Florida, for example, but you can find them nightly in Vegas. You sometimes have to search for them and I'd guess that constantly nitpicking your games to that degree can become tiresome. I don't think I can disagree that Vegas an also have the toughest games on average, too. I think that makes sense, though: when your player pool is full of both local pros/grinders and tourists, you're going to find the tables to generally be at the extremes as well.
HawkesDave is offline  
Old 04-16-2018, 10:14 AM   #10
DK Barrel
Concept of the Week author
 
DK Barrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: no gamble, no future
Posts: 6,136
Re: softest low stakes games in the world

I've played in five locales and I'd rank Vegas last for soft low stakes games. But that's just me.
DK Barrel is offline  
Old 04-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #11
The Rumor
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
The Rumor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wherever my loanshark isn't
Posts: 9,559
Re: softest low stakes games in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkesDave View Post
Ok, I'll alter my stance a bit to maybe appease you guys: On a given day, Vegas will have the largest volume of soft games but at certain times of the year it will require careful table selection since they also have a large amount of local pros and grinders.

You don't find drunken tourist games too often anymore in South Florida, for example, but you can find them nightly in Vegas. You sometimes have to search for them and I'd guess that constantly nitpicking your games to that degree can become tiresome. I don't think I can disagree that Vegas an also have the toughest games on average, too. I think that makes sense, though: when your player pool is full of both local pros/grinders and tourists, you're going to find the tables to generally be at the extremes as well.
if you're willing to play at 2 in the morning and table select like crazy, yeah, but there are a lot of grinders in LV, so the average table can actually have more skill than a lot of other locales, especially at 2/5 like the OP asked about.
The Rumor is offline  
Old 04-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #12
Career Ender'sGame
banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 13
Re: softest low stakes games in the world

Los Angeles. Huge population and people have money. Who needs tourists when there's 13 million people there?

Vegas blows bc none of the locals have money and you have to hunt for fish from room to room. It's much tougher to just play in one room everyday in Vegas but in LA its very doable at commerce or the bike
Career Ender'sGame is offline  
Old 04-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #13
Garick
Oberbiergenie▀er
 
Garick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Do you even math, bruh?
Posts: 17,489
Re: softest low stakes games in the world

This is a strategy forum. This question belongs in Casino and Cardroom Poker. Don't post it there. though. Just do a search. They've had this discussion a million times.
Garick is offline  

Closed Thread
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online