Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Live Low-stakes NL Discussion of up to 3/5 live no-limit, pot-limit and spread-limit Texas Hold'em poker games, situations and strategies.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2017, 12:35 AM   #1
fakekidpoker
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,102
So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

Has this guy figured it out? lol, do you make $25 an hour?


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnJ...WWrBkOsBMX15Ew

What do you think of his advice? I have played with him a few times before and was not super impressed and when I heard he was releasing a poker course I had a rather decent laugh. He seems to be taking it pretty seriously releasing something like 20 videos now but i'm sure you can get an idea from just a few of them.

I'm curious what does the esteemed members of the 2+2 community think of this game? it seems to me it is just tight = right m i rite?
fakekidpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:44 AM   #2
QuantumSurfer
old hand
 
QuantumSurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Home on the Range
Posts: 1,912
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

I watched 2min of his 1st video. He said his advice comes from a coach playing 1/2 for a living. I don't think I want to learn how to get to heaven from someone refusing to leave purgatory.
QuantumSurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:14 AM   #3
paratrooper99
veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Paratrooper1999 on Twitch
Posts: 2,032
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

It depends on the venue and buyin max. A couple years ago I played 1/2 for income. At Tampa Hard Rock, I averaged $33 an hour for a good sample but in Cincinnati, I averaged only $22 an hour. The max buyin at Tampa is $300 and in Cincinnati it is $200 and obv there are a ton more tourists in Florida to make the game much softer.
As for this guy, I hope he explodes so I can make $100k in coaching next year.
paratrooper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:54 AM   #4
ibelieveyouoweme$80k
LLSNL FF Champ '13
 
ibelieveyouoweme$80k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wentzylvania baby
Posts: 12,851
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

I think his videos are pretty awful. Actually, video quality, etc., is good. His advice, however, is way too simplistic. In fact, some of it is flat-out wrong. At least the way he is stating it in his videos.

I.e., he says 'I'll call up to $15 with a pocket pair preflop, but I won't call $20.' Well, this is fine if you are heads-up and stack sizes are $200. But what if stack sizes are $600?

I think he limps way too much and is just way too passive preflop. At one point he limps 99. Sorry, if you can't raise 99 then I don't have respect for you as a player.
ibelieveyouoweme$80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:57 AM   #5
ibelieveyouoweme$80k
LLSNL FF Champ '13
 
ibelieveyouoweme$80k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wentzylvania baby
Posts: 12,851
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

Also, he claims to be beating the game for $25/hr.

Where? What is the sample size? Show me some proof. Until he does that, anyone can start a YouTube channel and make claims that they are crushing.

OP, where did you play with him?
ibelieveyouoweme$80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:48 AM   #6
pixelsmile
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 28
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

Are you from Vancouver? I think I've seen this guy grinding 1/3 at Edgewater
pixelsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:08 AM   #7
pixelsmile
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 28
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

Yep, definitely the same guy I see grinding at Vancouver's Edgewater casino. I've played a 4h session with him
pixelsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:45 AM   #8
spikeraw22
The Situation
 
spikeraw22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SB is the new BTN
Posts: 8,722
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

Haven't watched the video so no context.

I disagree that not raising 99 is always wrong. At a lot of tables I'll just limp it up front. It's either that or go 7 ways to a flop with an spr of 0.73.
spikeraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:06 AM   #9
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibelieveyouoweme$80k View Post
I think his videos are pretty awful. Actually, video quality, etc., is good. His advice, however, is way too simplistic. In fact, some of it is flat-out wrong. At least the way he is stating it in his videos.

I.e., he says 'I'll call up to $15 with a pocket pair preflop, but I won't call $20.' Well, this is fine if you are heads-up and stack sizes are $200. But what if stack sizes are $600?

I think he limps way too much and is just way too passive preflop. At one point he limps 99. Sorry, if you can't raise 99 then I don't have respect for you as a player.
I limp 99 plenty of times. I also raise 53s plenty of times. I 3 bet a guy with T7s yesterday. It all depends on the situation. I dont respect people who think poker is cookie cutter and you have to raise a certain hand because its a certain hand.

I watched the first 6 videos and I would say that they are pretty basic, but most live 1/2 players would improve their game by watching. Of course that's not saying much because most live 1/2 players would improve their game by doing anything other than what they are doing.

Last edited by MikeStarr; 04-07-2017 at 08:34 AM.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:32 AM   #10
johnny_on_the_spot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnny_on_the_spot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: S-Mart
Posts: 10,864
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say the before graph he played like every other donkey and the after graph he plugged some of the very easy, glaring leaks bad player have + some run good

As for limping 99, entirely table dependent
johnny_on_the_spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:11 PM   #11
ibelieveyouoweme$80k
LLSNL FF Champ '13
 
ibelieveyouoweme$80k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wentzylvania baby
Posts: 12,851
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
I limp 99 plenty of times. I also raise 53s plenty of times. I 3 bet a guy with T7s yesterday. It all depends on the situation. I dont respect people who think poker is cookie cutter and you have to raise a certain hand because its a certain hand.

I watched the first 6 videos and I would say that they are pretty basic, but most live 1/2 players would improve their game by watching. Of course that's not saying much because most live 1/2 players would improve their game by doing anything other than what they are doing.
Obviously it depends, but he said it is his 100 percent default play to only raise pocket pairs JJ+.
ibelieveyouoweme$80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #12
spikeraw22
The Situation
 
spikeraw22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SB is the new BTN
Posts: 8,722
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

The fact that he's not even thinking about it does raise some
Flags. It's not a bad thing for a beginner to avoid rough spots post flop that raising 99 in EP would present. But if you're making videos you should be able to work this out.

Last edited by spikeraw22; 04-07-2017 at 01:28 PM.
spikeraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:20 PM   #13
SABR42
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SABR42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: printing money
Posts: 21,978
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

It's funny, when I first played poker 10+ years ago, I was trying to play a "cookie cutter" way of always doing some things, to simplify my strategy.

Then, as I got better, I thought that your cards don't matter as much, and that almost any play can be justified because I'll just "outplay" them post-flop.

Then, as I got, much, much, better and really learned about proper ranges and balanced play, I find myself playing much more "cookie cutter" than in the middle stage. This isn't because I used to be better. I am better precisely because I have learned what doesn't work and isn't good theoretically.
SABR42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #14
ibelieveyouoweme$80k
LLSNL FF Champ '13
 
ibelieveyouoweme$80k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wentzylvania baby
Posts: 12,851
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

And this guy is advocating a complete cookie cutter format in his videos.
ibelieveyouoweme$80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #15
SABR42
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SABR42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: printing money
Posts: 21,978
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

I'm sure this guy is laughably terrible but that wasn't really the point I was making.
SABR42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:40 PM   #16
ibelieveyouoweme$80k
LLSNL FF Champ '13
 
ibelieveyouoweme$80k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wentzylvania baby
Posts: 12,851
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABR42 View Post
I'm sure this guy is laughably terrible but that wasn't really the point I was making.
Yeah, sorry. I wasn't replying to you, but to MikeStarr.
ibelieveyouoweme$80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:43 PM   #17
spikeraw22
The Situation
 
spikeraw22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SB is the new BTN
Posts: 8,722
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

Obviously there should be thought behind what you do. That's the difference though. This guy doesn't know why what he's doing works or doesn't. He's just memorizing rules.
spikeraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #18
johnny_on_the_spot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnny_on_the_spot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: S-Mart
Posts: 10,864
So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

I watched 2 random videos. In both, he limps in LP, 55 and 99, BTN raises, 3 callers including himself. Both flops he hits sets, both on pretty wet boards, 456hh and AK9ccc. Both boards his advice is to not donk as the last person to act before the PFR. Both examples he gets super lucky and the PFR actually has a hand worth cbetting, 87ss and AK.

It's just hilarious advice because the second he moves to any descent game, both of those boards aren't auto cbets for a BTN opener. His value will just go way down.

He also mentioned the whole "always limping 99-" thing in the video with 99. Apparently he doesn't understand that will make it super easy to play against him.

Kinda curious why he has over 12k in winnings and he's playing 1/2
johnny_on_the_spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #19
ibelieveyouoweme$80k
LLSNL FF Champ '13
 
ibelieveyouoweme$80k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wentzylvania baby
Posts: 12,851
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_on_the_spot View Post
I watched 2 random videos. In both, he limps in LP, 55 and 99, BTN raises, 3 callers including himself. Both flops he hits sets, both on pretty wet boards, 456hh and AK9ccc. Both boards his advice is to not donk as the last person to act before the PFR. Both examples he gets super lucky and the PFR actually has a hand worth cbetting, 87ss and AK.

It's just hilarious advice because the second he moves to any descent game, both of those boards aren't auto cbets for a BTN opener. His value will just go way down.

He also mentioned the whole "always limping 99-" thing in the video with 99. Apparently he doesn't understand that will make it super easy to play against him.

Kinda curious why he has over 12k in winnings and he's playing 1/2
He says at one point in one video he doesn't have a job.

If he did this over 3 months, that's only $4K a month. That's good, not great, when you are living on it. Plus, let's face it, he was a loser/breakeven player a few months ago, so he's probably not ready to move up either.
ibelieveyouoweme$80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #20
Sol Reader
The Situation
 
Sol Reader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: See PG&C Thread. @IsoAcq
Posts: 9,380
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABR42 View Post
It's funny, when I first played poker 10+ years ago, I was trying to play a "cookie cutter" way of always doing some things, to simplify my strategy.

Then, as I got better, I thought that your cards don't matter as much, and that almost any play can be justified because I'll just "outplay" them post-flop.

Then, as I got, much, much, better and really learned about proper ranges and balanced play, I find myself playing much more "cookie cutter" than in the middle stage. This isn't because I used to be better. I am better precisely because I have learned what doesn't work and isn't good theoretically.
Agreed with my Chinese ex-lagtard brother.
Sol Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #21
mrducks
Pooh-Bah
 
mrducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 4,084
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

If you are going to be coaching people, you need to convince people you are good. He put up a random graph that isn't verifiable and has no indication of how many hours it took him to get to $12K. The fact that he shows $12K as his proof and not his hourly plus total hours says a lot about him. He's either too dumb to know better which disqualifies him from coaching or he is smart enough and is hiding his hourly which probably disqualifies him from coaching. If he's hiding, I doubt he's hiding an hourly that is too high so he is hiding a low hourly.

The hands he describes seem to work out perfectly for him. When he shoves, he gets called by a flush when he hits his boat. Any player that doesn't make money on a hand like that is an idiot. I didn't watch all of the videos but of the eight I watched, he fails to explain his rules fully and takes a very basic approach to the game.

I'll watch the rest later and will return if my opinion changes. I see this as him seeing the poker vlog bubble and trying to take a different approach by offering direct advice and then trying to sell a product once he gets people hooked on the videos. Although the advice seems low value and plain bad in some cases, I feel that for an elementary player this might seem valuable and they will pay $20 or $40 for a video series.
mrducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:55 PM   #22
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,222
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_on_the_spot View Post
Kinda curious why he has over 12k in winnings and he's playing 1/2
I only got a minute into the first video then got busy at work, but I might check them out later for the sake of curiosity.

If he's claiming this strategy will make you $20/hr, then that means he would have made this $12K in only 600 hours, so fairly small sample size (i.e. even a recreational reg could get those hours within a year).

Honestly, if I made $20/hr over my first 600 hours at 1/2 I'd probably be pretty convinced my strategy was a decent one too.

Gheck,myresultsovermyfirst2000hoursof1/3NLmayendupbeingmydownfallG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #23
ibelieveyouoweme$80k
LLSNL FF Champ '13
 
ibelieveyouoweme$80k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wentzylvania baby
Posts: 12,851
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbledygeek View Post
I only got a minute into the first video then got busy at work, but I might check them out later for the sake of curiosity.

If he's claiming this strategy will make you $20/hr, then that means he would have made this $12K in only 600 hours, so fairly small sample size (i.e. even a recreational reg could get those hours within a year).

Honestly, if I made $20/hr over my first 600 hours at 1/2 I'd probably be pretty convinced my strategy was a decent one too.

Gheck,myresultsovermyfirst2000hoursof1/3NLmayendupbeingmydownfallG
If this guy was 45ish I would have sworn he was you.
ibelieveyouoweme$80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:08 PM   #24
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,222
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibelieveyouoweme$80k View Post
If this guy was 45ish I would have sworn he was you.
Lol, I checked him out just to see if I recognized him.

GIdon't,soIguesshedoesn'tplayelsewhereG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #25
fakekidpoker
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,102
Re: So is this the ultimate guide to crushing 1/2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelsmile View Post
Are you from Vancouver? I think I've seen this guy grinding 1/3 at Edgewater
I've played a little bit with him at river rock and Edge
fakekidpoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive