Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Live Low-stakes NL Discussion of up to 3/5 live no-limit, pot-limit and spread-limit Texas Hold'em poker games, situations and strategies.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #76
AintNoLimit
See my coaching listing
 
AintNoLimit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: las vegas
Posts: 6,403
Re: Recommended Reading List

Quote:
Originally Posted by derick View Post
"The Mathematics of Poker" is pivotal in understanding poker.
by Bill Chen i believe. And yeah, this is a recommended book. honestly for anyone who is reasonably competent at poker in todays climate, i really cannot recommend ANY written work "highly" other than the book above and the ebooks mentioned above also.
AintNoLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #77
Hunt2day
stranger
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1
Re: Recommended Reading List

My latest books are...Kill Phil....Kill Everyone...and Sit n go Strategy by Mason Moshman.
The kill books offer some very good tourney tips, but not entirely my style, but found very useful info in the books.
S'N'G Book, is a very good book for doing exactly what the title says. The HOH books, vol 1 and 2 I found useful, and always find something good out of some strategies. The super system, I think also is a very good read. Also love the stu unger book.
Hunt2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #78
Sarge85
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: 2+2 Archives
Posts: 4,383
Re: Recommended Reading List

Nice items - a lot of things for me to digest.

What about CardRunners or Deuces Cracked videos? Pretty much everything there is based on stats and such - are there any videos that apply to Low-Stakes NL?

Sarge
Sarge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #79
AintNoLimit
See my coaching listing
 
AintNoLimit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: las vegas
Posts: 6,403
Re: Recommended Reading List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge85 View Post
Nice items - a lot of things for me to digest.

What about CardRunners or Deuces Cracked videos? Pretty much everything there is based on stats and such - are there any videos that apply to Low-Stakes NL?

Sarge

In a sense, unless you can understand the huge amt. of adjusting necessary between online and live, the online full ring vids could hurt you rather than help.
AintNoLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #80
stockyhealer
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 59
Re: Recommended Reading List

Is there a single book that the majority agree is a must read for live low stakes poker? (1/2 NL live). If you've played both online and live 1/2 then you know they are drastically different. I feel like Theory and Practice is a bit advanced so I would like to know what the general consensus is for the best book for live low stakes. Thank you.
stockyhealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #81
AintNoLimit
See my coaching listing
 
AintNoLimit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: las vegas
Posts: 6,403
Re: Recommended Reading List

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockyhealer View Post
Is there a single book that the majority agree is a must read for live low stakes poker? (1/2 NL live). If you've played both online and live 1/2 then you know they are drastically different. I feel like Theory and Practice is a bit advanced so I would like to know what the general consensus is for the best book for live low stakes. Thank you.

For a primer book, i suggest Phil Gordon's little green book.
AintNoLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #82
Sarge85
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: 2+2 Archives
Posts: 4,383
Re: Recommended Reading List

the Ante Up Podcast did an interesting segment. They didn't focus on books specifically, but each picked i think 5 chapters from a variety of books that they felt were pretty important to them and their poker development.

Sarge
Sarge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #83
pokper3
journeyman
 
pokper3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 369
Re: Recommended Reading List

https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/78...ntents-397190/
should be good enough
pokper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #84
stockyhealer
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 59
Re: Recommended Reading List

Any videos that pertain towards low stakes live poker?
stockyhealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #85
venice10
Referee
 
venice10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nowhere special
Posts: 23,068
Re: Recommended Reading List

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockyhealer View Post
Any videos that pertain towards low stakes live poker?
Pretty hard to make a video of live play. Quite frankly PAD cash games are pretty good. Keep in mind that a vast majority of the play you see there is no different than you would see from good LLSNL players. Record it and then play it back like you are doing detailed commentary (forget what Ali Nejad is saying). Keep in mind that they try to keep the table stocked with 1-2 weaker players so the top players will join in.

HSP isn't bad, but you don't get the sense of the flow of the game.

As for the coaching sites, you have to do a fair amount of translation to live conditions, but some concepts they cover are pretty good.
venice10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #86
jsmo0th10
adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 708
Re: Recommended Reading List

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice10 View Post
Pretty hard to make a video of live play.
??? And then u rail off a paragraph about different shows for live play

Anyway I would reccommend Pokerstars The Big Game and High Stakes Poker as good shows to watch. I know they aren't low limit but I'm currently unaware of low-limit poker videos and don't know if I would want to watch them anyway.

I mainly watch these shows for entertainment value rather than looking to pick up pieces of strategy that would translate to the 1/2 game. Because most of the concepts, leveling, and play is WAAYY over the head of any average low-stakes player if you try to incorporate these plays into your low-stakes game you will probably just be out-leveling yourself, essentially achieving completely opposite results than the pros.

So its still pretty educational and you can learn a lot about cash game play from them, but make sure you understand that the "fancy plays" they make probably wont work the same on joe the local 1/2 fish.
jsmo0th10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #87
jsmo0th10
adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 708
Re: Recommended Reading List

/\ Also!

I feel like I gain more "useable" information from Pokerstars the Big Game.. The "Looose Cannon" is a very interesting concept because you get to see how excited these pros get when they see a fishy player sitting across the table with 100k in front of them. This is crucial because I believe it shows many ways to attack the fish, knowing when to fold to LAG TAG and NIT fishies. Knowing when to isolate the fish and also how isolating the fish can backfire. This is all very useful info for me because everytime I'm at a table I can usually identify the fish pretty quickly, my main dilemma is always which way to attack the fish and take their chips without leaving myself vulnerable to the rest of the table and others who "notice" me picking on the fish. The Big Game shows endless ways to approach this situation, along with the pros and cons of each/
jsmo0th10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #88
ShadyJ1
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Milltown
Posts: 932
Re: Recommended Reading List

So Im at B&N and wasting some time looking through poker books and I find 1 that I've never seen before, and it seems to be mostly about live play, and it's only $20 so I get it.

The biggest waste of money i've ever spent. It's such horrible advice. I can't believe how someone can make money off of this crap. Its called Playing NL Holdem as a business by Rob Tucker. If you are completely new player you might find this a little helpful otherwise save your money.
ShadyJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #89
cAmmAndo
The Situation
 
cAmmAndo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philly
Posts: 4,713
Re: Recommended Reading List

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice10 View Post
Pretty hard to make a video of live play. Quite frankly PAD cash games are pretty good. Keep in mind that a vast majority of the play you see there is no different than you would see from good LLSNL players. Record it and then play it back like you are doing detailed commentary (forget what Ali Nejad is saying). Keep in mind that they try to keep the table stocked with 1-2 weaker players so the top players will join in.

HSP isn't bad, but you don't get the sense of the flow of the game.

As for the coaching sites, you have to do a fair amount of translation to live conditions, but some concepts they cover are pretty good.
I have only watched a little of it but Live at the Bike probably the closest to televised Live Low Stakes. The Bart Hanson commentary is significantly better than the David Tuckman and the girl.

Bart recently played on LAB and is using the footage to incorporate into his forthcoming video series "Poker with your pants on" on DC. It will be a combination of live play and hands from live play entered onto a hand replayer. Although it is 5-10NL much of the play Bart Hanson describes is comparable to lower stakes games.

I recently joined DC for the Tommy Angelo series and to watch some of the microstakes stuff looking for concepts that might be relevant. I intend to keep my subscription at least through the completion of the Bart Hanson series and re-evaluate it then. I suspect that after Black Friday DC might try to utilize Bart for more subscription based content now that they have cut his free podcast to every other week.

As a side note, it may not a bad idea for a live player to be familiar with online approaches to the game simply to understand your opponent's thinking a little better if you anticipate more online players joining your game post Black Friday.
cAmmAndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #90
WallaceWins
centurion
 
WallaceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Horsham
Posts: 152
Wink Re: Recommended Reading List

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintNoLimit View Post
For a primer book, i suggest Phil Gordon's little green book.

I am currently searching for a New Poker book that I have not read myself and was reading through 6 pages of post here and think I am going to use my last 2400+ Poker Stars points to buy .... and I hope its a good one to read?

The Theory of Poker: A Professional Poker Player Teaches You How To Think Like One [Paperback] David Sklansky


I will second the above suggestion to read Phil Gordons little green book (not the red one) as I got a lot out of it and have read it over maybe 3 to 4 times.

The theory of 2 and 4 was worth the $15 bucks I spent on a copy of the book.
WallaceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #91
venice10
Referee
 
venice10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nowhere special
Posts: 23,068
Re: Recommended Reading List

"The Theory of Poker" is a good book. There are a couple of caveats that go with it.

First, it was written well before the NLHE era. You're going to see a lot of examples from games that you don't have much experience with. You're going to have to translate some of the advice into what is useful for NLHE.

Neither Sklansky nor MM are particularly good at explaining complicated ideas clearly and simply. I've owned the book for years, and only now can I figure out the full implications of some of the statements. Often, tremendously valuable statements are buried in mounds of other text. Often I've grasped a concept from participating on these forums, then re-read what he wrote and thought, "****, that's what he meant."

In the end, I think it is one of those books you need to read because everyone else has read it, but it isn't going to transform your game. Mainly because what would you won't understand fully.
venice10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #92
WallaceWins
centurion
 
WallaceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Horsham
Posts: 152
Re: Recommended Reading List

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice10 View Post
"The Theory of Poker" is a good book. There are a couple of caveats that go with it.

First, it was written well before the NLHE era. You're going to see a lot of examples from games that you don't have much experience with. You're going to have to translate some of the advice into what is useful for NLHE.

Neither Sklansky nor MM are particularly good at explaining complicated ideas clearly and simply. I've owned the book for years, and only now can I figure out the full implications of some of the statements. Often, tremendously valuable statements are buried in mounds of other text. Often I've grasped a concept from participating on these forums, then re-read what he wrote and thought, "****, that's what he meant."

In the end, I think it is one of those books you need to read because everyone else has read it, but it isn't going to transform your game. Mainly because what would you won't understand fully.
Thanks for the solid and thoughtful post I appreciate your thoughts!
WallaceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #93
cAmmAndo
The Situation
 
cAmmAndo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philly
Posts: 4,713
Re: Recommended Reading List

Quote:
Originally Posted by cAmmAndo View Post
I have only watched a little of it but Live at the Bike probably the closest to televised Live Low Stakes. The Bart Hanson commentary is significantly better than the David Tuckman and the girl.

Bart recently played on LAB and is using the footage to incorporate into his forthcoming video series "Poker with your pants on" on DC. It will be a combination of live play and hands from live play entered onto a hand replayer. Although it is 5-10NL much of the play Bart Hanson describes is comparable to lower stakes games.

I recently joined DC for the Tommy Angelo series and to watch some of the microstakes stuff looking for concepts that might be relevant. I intend to keep my subscription at least through the completion of the Bart Hanson series and re-evaluate it then. I suspect that after Black Friday DC might try to utilize Bart for more subscription based content now that they have cut his free podcast to every other week.

As a side note, it may not a bad idea for a live player to be familiar with online approaches to the game simply to understand your opponent's thinking a little better if you anticipate more online players joining your game post Black Friday.
I just wanted to follow up with this post. I watched a full episode of Live at the Bike tuesday and found it to be pretty good stuff.

Also I just joined Duces Cracked (in my second month) and the first episode of Bart's new "Poker with your pants on" live series is up. I only checked out a couple minutes of it but it looks pretty good. I am not trying to pimp DC but I would suggest that 2 months worth of DC just to watch Bart's series and tommy Angelos Eight fold path videos and maybe a couple micro FR vids is probably worth the cost of a book or two.

Whether DC would continue to have value for a live player is another story but I am excited to see the new live series.
cAmmAndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #94
tommycee2
journeyman
 
tommycee2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mid-Continent North America
Posts: 287
Re: Recommended Reading List

Quote:
Originally Posted by cAmmAndo View Post
Live at the Bike ... pretty good stuff.

the first episode of Bart's new "Poker with your pants on" live series is up.
Bart Hanson is really the best instructor trying to explain live cash games with current material. As Black Friday fallout continues and the market responds, we will hopefully see more attention paid to the live game. CardRunners is also promising new vids "in the pipeline".

As a live player who transitioned to online but never stopped playing live, I welcome the attention.

If you can find it, there is an entertaining old Bike video where Jamie Gold (pre-WSOP fame), sits in , busts out, and leaves.

And thanks to venice for modding this forum. He was tough to play when I sat with him online playing uNL, but the puppies always made me smile.
tommycee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #95
BEASTSIMONE
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: jersey
Posts: 91
Re: Recommended Reading List

Quote:
Originally Posted by csk30 View Post
Oh dear, this isn't a book, but it's a great recommendation IMO:

Listen to Bart Hanson's Deuce Plays, which is the Deuces Cracked podcast. Listen especially to his live hand review episodes, they are absolutely fantastic.
i listen to this all the time... definitely helps analyze hands, learn how to think about hands... also has some good interviews

as for books, i still like the harrington on holdem vol 2... lots and lots of hand examples, how to play hands vs different opponents in different positions with different stack sizes, lots of scenarios...

i just downloaded professional no limit by miller, and so far i find it really basic, no advanced concepts....
BEASTSIMONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #96
hfrog355
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
hfrog355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,406
Re: Recommended Reading List

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycee2 View Post
If you can find it, there is an entertaining old Bike video where Jamie Gold (pre-WSOP fame), sits in , busts out, and leaves.
A link to this would be so money.

I'm 2/3 through HoC v1 right now and have found it beneficial. Certainly enough to justify getting v2.
hfrog355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #97
ddiggitynate
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: guilford ct
Posts: 64
Re: Recommended Reading List

baluga whales "easy game" is phenomenal. very well written and easily understandable concepts. Also this book intentionally stays away from in depth math and instead breaks the game down to language that any poker player should be able to benefit from.

For people looking to move up stakes, or for the math guy, there is and exceptional video series on youtube called "Game Theory Poker" it contains 8-14 minute video segments that go in order called "Game Theory Poker 1", "Game Theory Poker 2" ect. and go all the way up to 31. Each video builds on previous videos concepts, and they get int some very "juicy" stuff. They touch on many complicated and advanced ideas/strategies, and is some of the most impressive, and thorough work ive ever seen.
ddiggitynate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #98
EN09
Pooh-Bah
 
EN09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Buncha savages in this town.
Posts: 4,271
Re: Recommended Reading List

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfrog355 View Post
A link to this would be so money.

I'm 2/3 through HoC v1 right now and have found it beneficial. Certainly enough to justify getting v2.
Head on over to www.Pokernetcast.com. You'll need to sign up and subscribe for archived shows beyond the latest two shows (last two shows are free to view). Right now on the home page they are showing the Bike Mega Million Tourney - no commentary or hole card cams.
EN09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #99
Taass
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 36
Re: Recommended Reading List

Just got Professional No Limit Hold'em and Angel Largay No Limit Texas Hold'em: A complete course in the mail. I want to say thank you guys for the recommendation. I'm really enjoying Largay's style so far. I like the drills he recommends as I have been looking for practical games to play to improve my skills at the live table.

Thanks again board.
Taass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #100
8o8
veteran
 
8o8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,958
Re: Recommended Reading List

you have to pay a subscription fee to get access to Bart Hanson's videos, right? they're not free like his podcasts? : (
8o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online