Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Live Low-stakes NL Discussion of up to 3/5 live no-limit, pot-limit and spread-limit Texas Hold'em poker games, situations and strategies.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2019, 03:36 AM   #176
zica
grinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 609
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarretman View Post
That's not true and while technically a grey area (I am assuming you are referring to section 1.5 of the CRA tax rules) no person has been succesfully made to pay taxes on poker winnings in Canada (who fought it anyways).

Heres one that went to the supreme court where a professional online poker player sued the CRA for previous years he paid taxes on poker winnings and won:

https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/fct/doc...2013fc916.html

Here's an analysis on that case:

http://www.gettaxnetpro.com/blog/Bil...al-review-566/

I'd do more research before making claims like that.
Awesome. Thank you. I will read.
zica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:49 AM   #177
Jarretman
veteran
 
Jarretman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canadaland
Posts: 2,540
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
3 of those 4 rooms are outside the US. You cant just move to Canada or London on a whim and stay there full time. The cost of living on London is outrageous.

Who the hell would want to be in Montreal or Niagra Falls during the winter? I dont know for a fact about 5/10 in Montreal but Ive played at Casino Montreal and there wasnt even a 2/5 game the evening I was there so I think its unlikely there is 5/10 40+ hours per week.

Someone just said there is not 5/10 40 hours a week in Vancouver.

When factoring in cost of living, you could make more money playing 2/5 at Winstar in Oklahoma than playing 5/10 in a super high cost of living some place like London.

So basically Id say overall your advice is pretty bad, not too mention a very good player can make $100K playing solely 2/5 and I can state that for an absolute fact. It can be done without running around all over the place chasing 5/10 games that happen to pop up or begging to get into a private home game.
I'm from Canada so my perspective is different wrt places obviously.

Sure, if your games are soft enough and the rake is small enough and you put in enough hours maybe you can make 100k a year sustainably playing 2/5 but ime that's not the case. You saying that it's an absolute fact makes me think you're very naive when it comes to winrates and playing professionally, especially over multi year timelines.

If your 2/5 winrate is 10bb/h which is absolutely amazing, like top 0.01% of 2/5 players, that means your bb/100 is around 30bb/100 assuming fast dealers at 33h per hour. Pretty tall order if you ask me.

Even if manage all of this, you would still need to put in 2000 hours a year of live poker which is pretty difficult itself.

But whatever man to each their own. Just cause I wouldn't do it doesn't mean someone else shouldn't.
Jarretman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:53 AM   #178
zica
grinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 609
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarretman View Post
I'm from Canada so my perspective is different wrt places obviously.

Sure, if your games are soft enough and the rake is small enough and you put in enough hours maybe you can make 100k a year sustainably playing 2/5 but ime that's not the case. You saying that it's an absolute fact makes me think you're very naive when it comes to winrates and playing professionally, especially over multi year timelines.

If your 2/5 winrate is 10bb/h which is absolutely amazing, like top 0.01% of 2/5 players, that means your bb/100 is around 30bb/100 assuming fast dealers at 33h per hour. Pretty tall order if you ask me.

Even if manage all of this, you would still need to put in 2000 hours a year of live poker which is pretty difficult itself.

But whatever man to each their own. Just cause I wouldn't do it doesn't mean someone else shouldn't.
He said, "absolute fact" because he's done it, obv, and brag, lol.
zica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:11 AM   #179
CactusJack
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 279
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
This is the main reason that I play in the absolutely nittiest poker room on the planet when there are several other rooms with much more action within 30 min drive. The Isle is chock full of OMC nitty guys but they are also very interesting people that you can have an interesting conversation with while playing. Theyve got a crazy amount of varied life experiences.

The Hard Rock and other rooms have a lot more action, but they also have a lot more anglers, guys who want to fight when you ask them to move over half an inch...ect.

I enjoy spending as much time as I do in the poker room but I would enjoy it a lot less in some of other rooms that Ive played in around the Country.
I 100% agree with this. I'm not like Mike tho. I can't really beat the game.

Looking back at my results from last year, I can barely afford to make the trips I take playing 9a-4p. I debate with myself about switching it up, but it always comes back to the same thing.

I'd be willing to swap the conversation with the omc nits for playing with the drunks to make more money. I just dont want to deal with the types that I see coming to prey on the drunks.

Games would be better if the people who were trying to make money on them focussed a little on customer service.

I don't know what to do about the angle shooters. 120 years ago there were probably more effective ways to deal with them. They won't change.

I'd hope an aspiring pro could learn to avoid talking strategy at the table and stop berating players for playing bad and getting lucky, tho. Seeing those two things at a 1/2 table is absolutely ridiculous.

Fortunately, we don't have as many fighters in southeast oklahoma as they do in Florida.
CactusJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:53 PM   #180
Jarretman
veteran
 
Jarretman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canadaland
Posts: 2,540
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zica View Post
He said, "absolute fact" because he's done it, obv, and brag, lol.
That's really good if that's the case but 100k in one year doesn't mean you're expected to win 100k the next year; it could even be a losing year. Because we are talking about a very, very long timeline if you intend to play poker as a sole source of income until you retire.
Jarretman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:09 PM   #181
johnnyBuz
Pooh-Bah
 
johnnyBuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beast Coast
Posts: 5,882
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Does nobody remember the results Dizzy just posted?

2017 - 80k+ playing part time

"omg go pro you are guaranteed to clear 100k every year !!!!!!"

*contemplates going pro but decides against it*

2018 - -10k playing part time

Mike's access to Florida games gives him a very different viewpoint, but always up is not usually possible.

Last edited by Garick; 01-31-2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: tone
johnnyBuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:19 PM   #182
the pleasure
Pooh-Bah
 
the pleasure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,513
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay28 View Post
Recent main event turnouts suggest otherwise

Perhaps some forms/venues of poker might be on a decline as opposed to overall
is that a correlation though?
I think we won tbe able to tell until onlinepoker is federal across USA and see what the numbers were.

before blck friday, FTP was around 180-200kk on peak nights and PS was around 240-260k on peaks
the pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:07 PM   #183
jc315
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,002
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyBuz View Post
Does nobody remember the results Dizzy just posted?

2017 - 80k+ playing part time

"omg go pro you are guaranteed to clear 100k every year !!!!!!"

*contemplates going pro but decides against it*

2018 - -10k playing part time

Mike's access to Florida games gives him a very different viewpoint, but always up is not usually possible.

that's because dizzy sux at poker. jk dizzy

i went from like 10-12 bb/hr over 1k hours at $2/5, to going like 2-3 bb/hr for like the next 200 hours.

dont want to turn this into a winrates thread.

the answer is quite simple. poker is dying. im not saying it will die in 5 years or in 15 years. but games are progressively getting worse. $1/3 is still juicy, as is $2/5, but you don't get as many big juicy games. you have more and more GTO wannabes.

i'll say it again. i play in a fairly known card room. great action. 2 years ago, the $1/3 and $2/5 games were cracking. insane waitlists. crazy action. these days, you roll up on a Friday night and you can get into a game in 20-30 minutes, whereas 1 or 2 years ago you would have to wait 3 hours or tip the floor $30.

the solutions many pros resort to is trying to act like you are having fun and gambling and talk a lot. this might work temporarily, but at some point, what you really need is rich guys who like to gamble and have fun and don't care about losing money day after day.

these types of people are far few and in between. at some point, these guys get tired of the game, get tired of losing, or aren't as rich as they try to seem.
jc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:21 PM   #184
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,104
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyBuz View Post
Does nobody remember the results Dizzy just posted?

2017 - 80k+ playing part time

"omg go pro you are guaranteed to clear 100k every year !!!!!!"

*contemplates going pro but decides against it*

2018 - -10k playing part time

Mike's access to Florida games gives him a very different viewpoint, but always up is not usually possible.
Dizzy also plays sporadic hours and sporadic stakes. IIRC he plays anything from 2/5 to 10/25 depending on who sits in those games.

Showing that he won $80k and then lost $10K in small samples playing stakes all over the place is not a good comparison at all.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:18 PM   #185
johnnyBuz
Pooh-Bah
 
johnnyBuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beast Coast
Posts: 5,882
Re: Is poker a dying field?

No - he's primarily a 2/5 player that played 10/25 once and 5/10 when the games are good.

There you go completely missing the point again.
johnnyBuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:30 PM   #186
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,104
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyBuz View Post
No - he's primarily a 2/5 player that played 10/25 once and 5/10 when the games are good.

There you go completely missing the point again.
How is that missing the point? Its much easier to have huge variation in results if you are playing sporadically, not staying in the groove and not getting better. He hardly played much at all last year. I'm sure he didnt stay sharp and probably was just donking around blowing off steam and not taking it seriously like he used to. He also plays super aggro.

Its a very bad comparison to a pro or a serious rec who plays regularly.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:48 PM   #187
johnnyBuz
Pooh-Bah
 
johnnyBuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beast Coast
Posts: 5,882
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
How is that missing the point? Its much easier to have huge variation in results if you are playing sporadically, not staying in the groove and not getting better. He hardly played much at all last year. I'm sure he didnt stay sharp and probably was just donking around blowing off steam and not taking it seriously like he used to. He also plays super aggro.

Its a very bad comparison to a pro or a serious rec who plays regularly.

He was a better player in 2018 then he was in 2017. Given he was considering going pro I'm pretty sure he wasn't just "donking around blowing off steam," whatever the hell that means.

When you play in deep and aggressive games where 3-4 hands PER ORBIT are being 3bet it forces you to play more aggressively.

It should be fairly intuitive if not outright common sense that when average stack depth is 300+ BB's and everybody at the table knows how to 3bet light your variance is going to exponentially increase.

Last edited by Garick; 02-03-2019 at 10:04 AM. Reason: removed Florida stuff
johnnyBuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:37 PM   #188
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,104
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Heres Dizzys results for 2018 that he posted in Winrate forum

2/5NL: -1,287; 231 hrs; -5.58/hr; -1.12bb/hr
T/TNL: -13,144; 122 hrs; -107.81/hr; -10.78bb/hr

and a few other odds and ends hours.

Like I said, he didnt play much and there's no way a person can play that little and be on their A game. Not to mention its not that tough to go on a down swing for that small sample when you play as aggro as he does...so again, its a horrible comparison when trying to use him as an example of how easy it is to go from winning $80K one year to losing $10K the next year.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:03 AM   #189
Garick
Oberbiergenießer
 
Garick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Do you even math, bruh?
Posts: 19,076
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Johnny and Mike, just put each other on ignore please. I'm tired of this bickering between you.
Garick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:25 AM   #190
JohnnyDough
newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: BWI
Posts: 31
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid face View Post
Browni - A lot of people really enjoy the casino environment, and that is totally cool (more power to em). However, having spent thousands upon thousands of hours in the casino and seeing the vitriol and venom that people spew; the fangs that appear when a person that is so drunk that they can hardly see shows up, the never ending angling, the lives that have gotten ruined, etc etc - it is simply too much, I have had all the pie I can stand and I am over it. For me it is simply to negative and not to get all hippy on you, but there is so much fun stuff out there to do where people are genuinely happy to see you and really hope that you succeed in life and the poker room seems just about the opposite of that

Having also spent over 100k hours in various casinos I can attest to this. I have met some genuinely nice and cool people at poker, but there are also many degens, racists (I'm a black man), scumbags, and haters. For me, the haters got to me the most. When I was a pro and had an image as a strong winning player, there were people who would literally celebrate when I lost a hand and whine every time I won. I promise I was always very nice and courteous to everyone, but it didn't stop people from hating me. I guess it's human instinct; people who lose regularly hate seeing others win. It made winning and losing both a negative experience lol. After a while, I decided I'm better off saying FU to the haters. Their hate made me work harder and try to win even more so I can piss them off more. But of course in poker, sometimes luck goes against me, I inevitably lose and see the joy in their eyes. That made my insides fill with rage.

Sorry for the rant but it was quite a toxic environment.
JohnnyDough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:01 AM   #191
AlanBostick
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AlanBostick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Old Man Red Bull (he/him)
Posts: 9,748
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Last year 7,874 competitors entered the WSOP Main Event. Twenty years before, in 1998, 350 people competed.

Poker. Is. Not. Dying.
AlanBostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:10 AM   #192
poke4fun
veteran
 
poke4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,185
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Yep, because number of main event participants has a direct correlation to poker’s popularity.
poke4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:22 AM   #193
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,104
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garick View Post
Johnny and Mike, just put each other on ignore please. I'm tired of this bickering between you.
Go back and look at any argument between us...ANY of them...and you will see it starts with him making some stupid negative statement about me. I challenge you to find one single argument that I started.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:42 AM   #194
Garick
Oberbiergenießer
 
Garick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Do you even math, bruh?
Posts: 19,076
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
Go back and look at any argument between us...ANY of them...and you will see it starts with him making some stupid negative statement about me. I challenge you to find one single argument that I started.
That may be true, at least in the past couple of interactions, but I really don't care. It's not bad enough for me to play detective, and the "he started it" argument doesn't bear a lot of weight with me anyway. It hasn't been bad enough to infract, but it has been enough that I've edited a few posts and that I don't want to see it anymore.

If you never start it, great. Take the high road and just hit report on his post. or, better yet since you don't seem to think he has anything positive to offer, just don't read his posts.

And Johnny, same applies to you.
Garick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:37 AM   #195
snowman
adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: ON THE ROAD AGAIN
Posts: 954
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poke4fun View Post
Yep, because number of main event participants has a direct correlation to poker’s popularity.
no but the WSOP adding tourneys and adding circuit events and Europe events etc.....etc...….

DOES
snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:46 AM   #196
Garick
Oberbiergenießer
 
Garick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Do you even math, bruh?
Posts: 19,076
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Yet local dailies are dying by the truckload. This tells me that poker players have realized what a rake trap those games are, but still love donkaments. Plus the decent donkaments aren't so out of reach as average buy-ins have come down while inflationand the economy have both gone up.

This doesn't tell us much about the popularity of LLSNL, just of destination donkaments. And I don't think anyone has argued that poker is dead anyway. The argument is about how it's trending.
Garick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:15 AM   #197
poke4fun
veteran
 
poke4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,185
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Seattle has had one of the hottest housing markets in the country, directly correlated to local economy, and yet the higher stake casino games around Seattle have drastically decreased.

Prime hours are still great, more less due to the consolidation of local rooms leaving fewer options (which is directly related to the overall decrease of popularity).

Bottom line: poker is losing popularity in Seattle.
poke4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:22 AM   #198
poke4fun
veteran
 
poke4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,185
Re: Is poker a dying field?

FWIW, big tourneys are actually growing in popularity. More and more people seem to be moving toward tournament poker around Seattle.

Daily tourneys on the other hand are shrinking at a much faster rate than cash games.
poke4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:23 PM   #199
gobbledygeek
Poet Laureate of LLSNL
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 28,891
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poke4fun View Post
Yep, because number of main event participants has a direct correlation to poker’s popularity.
So much this, imo.

Our room has gone from twice daily donkaments to once daily donkaments to now zero donkaments. That's not a good grassroots trend.

GcluelesstrendingnoobG
gobbledygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:14 PM   #200
AlanBostick
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AlanBostick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Old Man Red Bull (he/him)
Posts: 9,748
Re: Is poker a dying field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poke4fun View Post
Yep, because number of main event participants has a direct correlation to poker’s popularity.
Even if it is only loosely correlated, a twenty-fold increase in the one is pretty likely to go along with at least some increase in the other.
AlanBostick is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online