Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Live Low-stakes NL Discussion of up to 3/5 live no-limit, pot-limit and spread-limit Texas Hold'em poker games, situations and strategies.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2018, 10:18 AM   #151
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey D. Clown View Post
I can't imagine you would. Why would flatting be so horrible? Someone could squeeze behind you, or you can win a nice pot post-flop with a well-disguised hand. Even if you go 5way to the flop, it doesn't automatically mean you're beat. You could still win a good-sized pot with a well-disguised hand. Or get away cheaply on less favourable boards.

I'm not against 3betting here, but I don't particularly love 3betting a presumably tight player from UTG+1 either, certainly not if you're basically turning your hand face-up. Everyone will put you on AA/KK, maybe QQ/AK, and they would probably be right.

Furthermore, if we have QQ, we don't want them to fold all their AQ, AJ, ATs, KQ, KJs, QJs, JTs... If we think they're folding so much (I don't, but you seem to think so), then why would our EV be higher if we raise than if we call? Sure, we could let half the table in, but as long as we know what we're doing post-flop and don't automatically go nuts, that doesn't necessarily have to be the disaster you think it is.
You're right. We want them to put more money in while behind, while also keeping the pot from going super multiway while being OOP to the entire field, except for UTG.

But when this UTG player DID call, I got cautious and decided to keep the pot from going parabolic. I stand by that part of the hand.

If you want to flat here with QQ, try it. Im not saying its the worst play ever, but I dont personally like it at all.
MikeStarr is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #152
bwslim69
I'm a Diva, Bruh
 
bwslim69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: TPS reports
Posts: 23,812
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Why are you so concerned with the number of players in the hand? Poker is a game of realizing equity edges. Sure you will be OOP vs a large field so realizing your equity is going to be difficult. But even if it goes 3-4 ways you rate to have an equity advantage in the pot preflop.

However if you 3b and UTG calls, now you immediately assume his range is stronger than yours? Thus all the 3b does is fold out all of the potential callers calling with inferior ranges and isolate you against UTG who now suddenly has a stronger range than you.

This is pretty basic logic really. I'm really surprised you struggle to grasp this concept.

If a solid TAG-ish player opened UTG I would think the default play would be to flat QQ from UTG +1

It seems to me you are more concerned with the number of pots you win and less concerned about the number of dollars you win.
bwslim69 is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #153
johnnyBuz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnnyBuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beast Coast
Posts: 7,040
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
Actually I did answer post #133 indirectly in post #138.

I didnt put villain on AJ. I considered it but didnt think a seemingly solid ABC type player would call a 3 bet with it in this situation. So in the original post when I said I only beat AK/TT, it was because I wasnt putting him on AJ. I shouldve included AJ in the hands I beat though because it is possible for him to have it.
You also didn’t put him on KJs, QJs, JTs, 99, 88, 66 or 55 - all hands that are part of his continuing range that have >40% equity versus your QQ+/AQ+.

That’s the entire point. You don’t understand ranges, combos and equity. If you don’t think he is continuing with those hands for a 3x raise 1k deep then you really don’t understand poker math at all.

Given how nitty and bad your thought process is, he should be even more incentivized to continue with most of his RFI range given your unwillingness to put money in the pot postflop, let alone stacking off 200 BB’s with an overpair.
johnnyBuz is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 11:00 AM   #154
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwslim69 View Post
Why are you so concerned with the number of players in the hand? Poker is a game of realizing equity edges. Sure you will be OOP vs a large field so realizing your equity is going to be difficult. But even if it goes 3-4 ways you rate to have an equity advantage in the pot preflop.

However if you 3b and UTG calls, now you immediately assume his range is stronger than yours? Thus all the 3b does is fold out all of the potential callers calling with inferior ranges and isolate you against UTG who now suddenly has a stronger range than you.

This is pretty basic logic really. I'm really surprised you struggle to grasp this concept.

If a solid TAG-ish player opened UTG I would think the default play would be to flat QQ from UTG +1

It seems to me you are more concerned with the number of pots you win and less concerned about the number of dollars you win.
I play a hell of a lot better HU or 3 ways than I do multiway pots. Call it a leak if you like, but I know my weaknesses.
MikeStarr is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 11:19 AM   #155
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Several people have listed what they think a solid TAG would open UTG. My guess is that this guys range is slightly tighter than what people listed but either way, I dont see how QQ isnt way ahead of his range. I really doubt hes only opening AA/KK UTG, so I dont see how anyone can seriously be arguing against 3 betting QQ here. I really dont.
MikeStarr is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #156
4_4
grinder
 
4_4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 604
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
Several people have listed what they think a solid TAG would open UTG. My guess is that this guys range is slightly tighter than what people listed but either way, I dont see how QQ isnt way ahead of his range. I really doubt hes only opening AA/KK UTG, so I dont see how anyone can seriously be arguing against 3 betting QQ here. I really dont.
The point is that you argued that fold pre > call pre, which is absurd. How to rank call vs 3bet is a subject worthy of debate.

ETA: a subject worthy of debate "imo", I should emphasize. I'm open to the possibility that with better understanding I might come to the conclusion that one is clearly better than the other.

Last edited by 4_4; 10-03-2018 at 11:44 AM. Reason: weasel words
4_4 is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 12:06 PM   #157
mrdestiny
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 148
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
Checking the flop is not a mistake. Its just a non standard play to mix in from time to time. I would bet the flop most of the time but not every time. If I had bet the flop and he folded (which happens all the time) I wouldnt have posted the hand. It wouldnt have been very interesting now would it?
It seemed to me that you are checking flop here 100% of the time, a clear mistake given that you are in position as the aggressor with a stronger range especially when you are playing vs a "solid player" that doesn't get out of line. Seems like you are not taking the line that will maximise your EV, so seems like a mistake to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
So you are critiquing my play and it seems stupid to you, but you should be opening your mind to alternative lines that can make you much tougher to read and increase your win rate. My mistake in this hand was folding the river after taking an alternative line. If anyone is counting thats the 7th time I said the river was a mistake.
Yes I am going to critique your play, that is the point of posting a HH I believe... I am open to alternative lines, just don't understand why you state that you are, when all evidence points towards you not being open to an alternative line. All you do is defend your line and often times have contradicting arguments.

Additionally, I find that taking aggressive lines will generally make you much tougher to read rather than passive ones.

And I don't really care about the river by now. I am more interested on why you think checking flop is not a mistake, and your thoughts on your turn line. Betting $50 into $120? Seems like an awful sizing to use with both value and draws IMO.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
Let me give you another example hand

I open $20 in MP KJ. An aggro guy calls in the BB

Flop ($40) K64. He checks. I check back. If I posted this hand and didnt bet the flop people's head would explode. (OMG you have TP you have to bet)

Turn ($40) 3. He leads $50. I call
River ($140) 2. He bets $125. I tank for a while and then call.

He had QJ. I made an extra $175 by checking the flop and underepping my hand. Could I have gotten outdrawn by doing that? Of course. He couldve had 33 or 5x or a few other hands that outdrew me

My point is that there are plenty of ways to make money playing poker. If I posted this KJ hand, this same type of argument wouldve broken out. If I had bet the flop in this KJ kand which I would do 75% of the time, he wouldve check/folded and I wouldnt have posted the hand.
The dynamics of this hand are far different to the original post. V is aggro, so he will probably overbluff that spot. V is in the BB, his range will be a lot wider. Your range is probably a bit wider from MP.

I would also take the line you took from time to time vs an aggro.

And you are being resulted oriented, like you have been before. You could have also potentially gained a lot more if you bet the flop and V check-raised you and fired off his entire stack on a stone-cold bluff and you end up calling.

My message is that you state that the majority of people here are stubborn with their standard lines but really it's YOU that is stubborn with your non-conventional lines.

Next time you post a hand be open to new ideas instead of trying to justify your 'creative' line. It's YOUR thread, YOU were asking for advice on this spot, you received a lot of information on it but all YOU have done is defend your viewpoint. But its up to you to take all the value that has been created in this thread and potentially improve your game. Or YOU can be stubborn and just carry on playing your creative passive playstyle which you naively think is superior than the ABC players.
mrdestiny is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #158
snowman
old hand
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: ON THE ROAD AGAIN
Posts: 1,500
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai Hulud View Post
You saw zero showdowns so how do you know he isn't opening speculative hands?

IMO an ABC raise/call range looks something like

JJ-55, ATs+, A5s-A4s, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, 98s, AQo+

He may 4 bet or fold some of these hands at some frequency but he should have a lot more than TT JJ AK...
I'd like to know where the games are that UTG standard TAG openers are this loose

LAGS on the button don't play this loose

K10 Q10 ????? you better bring 10 buy-ins with you, you'll need them playing UTG like that

I folded pocket QQ UTG+1 yesterday to an UTG open 5x from an OMC nit . 100% he has AA or KK
far better spots to play then chasing 2 outers
snowman is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #159
johnnyBuz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnnyBuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beast Coast
Posts: 7,040
Re: This one has me scratching head.

That’s not remotely loose. Shai’s range is perfectly standard for 200+ BB stacks.

Mike blatantly told you the key information:

“Never limps, always comes in for a raise.”

Do you think he’s just constantly getting AA and KK every hand?
johnnyBuz is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 02:07 PM   #160
SABR42
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SABR42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: printing money
Posts: 21,952
Re: This one has me scratching head.

In a vacuum, I think 3-betting pre-flop is superior to calling, but to claim that you'd rather fold than call is almost certainly a troll and should be worthy of an infraction.

HOWEVER, if after 3-betting you decide that this is a flop you can't even bet, then there is a problem with your range construction somewhere. If you think that you don't get called by worse enough you are clearly doing it wrong.

Last edited by SABR42; 10-03-2018 at 02:13 PM.
SABR42 is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 03:57 PM   #161
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyBuz View Post
That’s not remotely loose. Shai’s range is perfectly standard for 200+ BB stacks.

Mike blatantly told you the key information:

“Never limps, always comes in for a raise.”

Do you think he’s just constantly getting AA and KK every hand?
Of course not, but this was his first EP raise that I can remember. How about someone look at Shai's list and tell us what they think that persons raise% would be if they are raising that many hands UTG and obviously a lot more as he gets in later positions.

Ive played with this guy one more time now and Id say he plays about 16ish% of all hands and I still havent seen him limp. No way that guy is raising all those hands UTG that Shai listed.
MikeStarr is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #162
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABR42 View Post
In a vacuum, I think 3-betting pre-flop is superior to calling, but to claim that you'd rather fold than call is almost certainly a troll and should be worthy of an infraction.

HOWEVER, if after 3-betting you decide that this is a flop you can't even bet, then there is a problem with your range construction somewhere. If you think that you don't get called by worse enough you are clearly doing it wrong.
I didnt say its a flop I cant bet. I just didnt bet it this time.
MikeStarr is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 04:47 PM   #163
CowboyCold
veteran
 
CowboyCold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sweetwater, TX
Posts: 2,440
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdestiny;54332668take
...And you are being resulted oriented, like you have been before. You could have also potentially gained a lot more if you bet the flop and V check-raised you and fired off his entire stack on a stone-cold bluff and you end up calling....

My message is that you state that the majority of people here are stubborn with their standard lines but really it's YOU that is stubborn with your non-conventional lines.....
Ever think maybe it you that is being stubborn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABR42 View Post
...HOWEVER, if after 3-betting you decide that this is a flop you can't even bet, then there is a problem with your range construction somewhere. If you think that you don't get called by worse enough you are clearly doing it wrong.
How often does somebody post a thread on here that describes a Villain... "Pretty ABC player, overvalues TPTK and Overpairs. Will take them to the felt."

Yet here, all I am hearing is "OMG, we haz QQ which is at the top of our range, and no run-out or betting line from V is going to get me to fold it."

I would actually love to play this hand 4-5 way from this exact position, but once we get it heads up with a 3! which I don't hate either (table/player dependent) I am not just going to blindly put 200 bigs in the middle.

Seems like a the logic goes like this, 3! pre, bet flop and call when V X/raises, Oh on the turn we have an SPR of???, regardless of what he has, range or reads be damned, we have the odds to call.

Doesn't really seem like there is any real thinking going on, just making standard plays on auto-pilot. QQ is a great hand pre-flop but how often are you winning when the big money goes in on later streets when you don't improve?

I play a mix of passive-aggressive style, because I have a passive-aggressive personality. But one thing I do know is my sanity in the game is maintained even if getting in 200 bigs in the middle every time we have QQ is slightly +EV. How many times do we have to lose a grand before some goofball gets it in with a worse hand? That I do not know, but I think the EV of doing it is way overblown.
CowboyCold is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #164
setintostraight
adept
 
setintostraight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 828
Re: This one has me scratching head.

I'm actually more curious as to whether this V should have a 4-betting range from his perspective.

Let's say I'm V. What image of Mike would I need to have to want to 4 bet here instead of flatting with KK?
setintostraight is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 05:32 PM   #165
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdestiny View Post
It seemed to me that you are checking flop here 100% of the time, a clear mistake given that you are in position as the aggressor with a stronger range especially when you are playing vs a "solid player" that doesn't get out of line. Seems like you are not taking the line that will maximise your EV, so seems like a mistake to me.

I dont know what gave you the idea that I check the flop 100% of the time.

Yes I am going to critique your play, that is the point of posting a HH I believe... I am open to alternative lines, just don't understand why you state that you are, when all evidence points towards you not being open to an alternative line. All you do is defend your line and often times have contradicting arguments.

State your opinions in a way just like you would if we were talking in real life instead of being condescending and a smart ass and the conversation goes much smoother.

Additionally, I find that taking aggressive lines will generally make you much tougher to read rather than passive ones.

Aggressive lines are more profitable in general and trust me, I am very aggressive in a lot of situations. I dont know that being aggro makes you harder to read though.

And I don't really care about the river by now. I am more interested on why you think checking flop is not a mistake, and your thoughts on your turn line. Betting $50 into $120? Seems like an awful sizing to use with both value and draws IMO.

Ive given my reasons for checking the flop already. On the turn when he checked to me again, I didnt think he had anything. What hand plays preflop like this and checks to me twice? I put him on AK/AQ at that point and made a small bet that I thought he might call with overs and a gutshot. AK had 8 outs and AQ had 7 outs so I made a small bet that I thought he might call.

He needed 23% equity to call that bet so he would be making a mistake to call. A slightly larger bet would be good also IMO. His river lead out of nowhere is really the only thing I find all that interesting about this hand.




The dynamics of this hand are far different to the original post. V is aggro, so he will probably overbluff that spot. V is in the BB, his range will be a lot wider. Your range is probably a bit wider from MP.

I would also take the line you took from time to time vs an aggro.

And you are being resulted oriented, like you have been before. You could have also potentially gained a lot more if you bet the flop and V check-raised you and fired off his entire stack on a stone-cold bluff and you end up calling.

If villain has the balls to check raise the flop in my KJ hand with a hand worse than mine, he can have the pot. Im not calling a check raise on that flop. There may be 1% of players that Ive played with that make moves like that.

My message is that you state that the majority of people here are stubborn with their standard lines but really it's YOU that is stubborn with your non-conventional lines.

Next time you post a hand be open to new ideas instead of trying to justify your 'creative' line. It's YOUR thread, YOU were asking for advice on this spot, you received a lot of information on it but all YOU have done is defend your viewpoint. But its up to you to take all the value that has been created in this thread and potentially improve your game. Or YOU can be stubborn and just carry on playing your creative passive playstyle which you naively think is superior than the ABC players.
.
MikeStarr is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #166
SABR42
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SABR42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: printing money
Posts: 21,952
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyCold View Post
Ever think maybe it you that is being stubborn?



How often does somebody post a thread on here that describes a Villain... "Pretty ABC player, overvalues TPTK and Overpairs. Will take them to the felt."

Yet here, all I am hearing is "OMG, we haz QQ which is at the top of our range, and no run-out or betting line from V is going to get me to fold it."

I would actually love to play this hand 4-5 way from this exact position, but once we get it heads up with a 3! which I don't hate either (table/player dependent) I am not just going to blindly put 200 bigs in the middle.

Seems like a the logic goes like this, 3! pre, bet flop and call when V X/raises, Oh on the turn we have an SPR of???, regardless of what he has, range or reads be damned, we have the odds to call.

Doesn't really seem like there is any real thinking going on, just making standard plays on auto-pilot. QQ is a great hand pre-flop but how often are you winning when the big money goes in on later streets when you don't improve?

I play a mix of passive-aggressive style, because I have a passive-aggressive personality. But one thing I do know is my sanity in the game is maintained even if getting in 200 bigs in the middle every time we have QQ is slightly +EV. How many times do we have to lose a grand before some goofball gets it in with a worse hand? That I do not know, but I think the EV of doing it is way overblown.
Whole post is a giant strawman. Not going to bother.
SABR42 is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 06:18 PM   #167
CowboyCold
veteran
 
CowboyCold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sweetwater, TX
Posts: 2,440
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABR42 View Post
Whole post is a giant strawman. Not going to bother.
What is a strawman? Anything like a scarecrow?
CowboyCold is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 06:51 PM   #168
Playbig2000
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Playbig2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,467
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
Seriously? Because the alternative is to call $20 with QQ and go 3-5 to the flop with me being OOP to all but the UTG raiser. That's terrible. Hes probably going to call with hands that I dominate like 88-JJ as well as AK-AJs that Im way ahead of.
If you get 5 callers after flatting pre, you dominate all those callers. If there's an ace high flop and the tight original raiser cbets into 6 players, I can easily fold my hand. What's so scary about that? I actually think it's a lot more scary to 3bet a tight UTG raiser from UTG+2 with QQ than to flat and let other people call behind. QQ isn't an automatic 3bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
The only possible way that flat calling here preflop with QQ is correct is to set mine if UTG will only have AA/KK here.
QQ has show down value. It's not like we have pocket deuces. insert head slap emoji here
Playbig2000 is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #169
kimoser22
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: the land of pleasant living
Posts: 3,580
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey913 View Post
That's interesting that being deep would make some folks want to 4-bet, because to me it would be the opposite. Turning my hand face over as AA/KK deep seems like a recipe to allow our opponent to play perfect against us when we can't make a reasonable 4-bet to shrink the SPR to a level that allows us to GII on just about any flop. I guess this is assuming we are never 4-betting light in the situation, which I also just don't do because the 3-betting range of most of my opponents is so narrow.
yeah I don't think not having a 4-bet range here is optimal, even if you wanted a very tight 4-bet range, say AA,KK for value and Ax5x as a bluff is prob better than not having one (super deep its a little different IMO but like up to 300bb I think you can be pretty tight here reg v reg UTG v UTG1) , just because you get to push equity against someone who might 3-bet you with AA-TT,AK,AQ,Ax$Wx, and still call with AA-TT,AK...now in cash over 200BB deep I wouldn't really have a 5-bet range except against fish...

Last edited by kimoser22; 10-03-2018 at 07:28 PM.
kimoser22 is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 07:25 PM   #170
kimoser22
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: the land of pleasant living
Posts: 3,580
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABR42 View Post
In a vacuum, I think 3-betting pre-flop is superior to calling, but to claim that you'd rather fold than call is almost certainly a troll and should be worthy of an infraction.

HOWEVER, if after 3-betting you decide that this is a flop you can't even bet, then there is a problem with your range construction somewhere. If you think that you don't get called by worse enough you are clearly doing it wrong.
yeah I agree just bet like 33% with your whole range here, I don't think your going to get exploited
kimoser22 is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 08:11 PM   #171
johnnyBuz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnnyBuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beast Coast
Posts: 7,040
Re: This one has me scratching head.

I would probably 4bet 2-3 combos of AA, 4-8 AK, 1-2 KK and 4b/fold a bunch of AQ.
johnnyBuz is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 08:13 PM   #172
Shai Hulud
old hand
 
Shai Hulud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,934
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
I'd like to know where the games are that UTG standard TAG openers are this loose

LAGS on the button don't play this loose

K10 Q10 ????? you better bring 10 buy-ins with you, you'll need them playing UTG like that

I folded pocket QQ UTG+1 yesterday to an UTG open 5x from an OMC nit . 100% he has AA or KK
far better spots to play then chasing 2 outers
Jesus you guys are nitty. The open range I used is from slightly tweaked hand charts from CLP and Jandas recent book. It could not be more standard.

You must be joking about LAGs OTB not playing this loose. That or you're the most unobservant person ever. LAGs OTB have far more hands than JJ-55, ATs+, A5s-A4s, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, 98s, AQo+ which btw is just 9.2% of hands.

Or is the idea we should be raise/folding? We are 200BB effective and it's 8BB to call. We have enough IO to call with the entire range, particularly considering how easy it is to bluff MS.

It's hilarious to me MS thinks he's a LAG but that solid ABC Euro guys aren't opening AJs.
Shai Hulud is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 08:29 PM   #173
Shai Hulud
old hand
 
Shai Hulud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,934
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
Of course not, but this was his first EP raise that I can remember. How about someone look at Shai's list and tell us what they think that persons raise% would be if they are raising that many hands UTG and obviously a lot more as he gets in later positions.

Ive played with this guy one more time now and Id say he plays about 16ish% of all hands and I still havent seen him limp. No way that guy is raising all those hands UTG that Shai listed.
Now you're arguing the guy is a nit.

This is what people are talking about Mike. You start off saying he's a solid ABC TAG but instead of assigning him a solid ABC TAG range you give him a nit range. Then when confronted that solid ABC TAGs are opening wider than this (whether or not you accept my range, it is certainly *much* wider than your implied range of TT+ AK), you backpedal and imply the guy is a nit.

None of us have observed this guy so your ranging should be more accurate, but you have a serious problem with player classification if you think this dude is a solid ABC TAG yet his UTG open range is 3.47%.

You also said he never limps, and now he limps.

Perhaps you have more accurate info now but that doesn't matter one bit as far as range construction during this hand. You go with what you know at the time, which as you've stated was young solid ABC TAG Euro guy.

If I see some guy opening 60% and barreling and raising like crazy over two hours I'm going to assume he's very likely a maniac and range him accordingly. If later it turns out he was just a TAG on a sun run does that make my ranging during the sun run incorrect? No it doesn't, because this is a game of imperfect information and lacking prescience, giving any answer but "no" here is results oriented nonsense.
Shai Hulud is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 09:29 PM   #174
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai Hulud View Post
Now you're arguing the guy is a nit.

Your definition of a nit and mine must be totally different. I said I think hes raising maybe 16% of hands and he never limps so that means Id put him around at a 16/16 player. That's not a nit. Not by any stretch. That's a TAG in my book.


This is what people are talking about Mike. You start off saying he's a solid ABC TAG but instead of assigning him a solid ABC TAG range you give him a nit range. Then when confronted that solid ABC TAGs are opening wider than this (whether or not you accept my range, it is certainly *much* wider than your implied range of TT+ AK), you backpedal and imply the guy is a nit.

Im not backpedaling anywhere. I dont think standard TAGs open anywhere near as wide as you do UTG. If he is a 16/16 player overall, then he clearly opens UTG a lot less than 16%. Probably around 4-5%. He couldve been card dead during this session but Im going but what I saw. Could a guy who opens 4-5% UTG throw in a T9s raise UTG? Of course, but I have no reason to think he does anything like that at this point. Im sure its possible he could raise AJs UTG. Would he call an EP 3 bet with it though? I dont know. I think we have to discount it a bit and Id rather raise UTG and call a 3 bet with JTs than AJs but he could surely have it.

None of us have observed this guy so your ranging should be more accurate, but you have a serious problem with player classification if you think this dude is a solid ABC TAG yet his UTG open range is 3.47%.

You also said he never limps, and now he limps.

Huh? Where did he limp?

Perhaps you have more accurate info now but that doesn't matter one bit as far as range construction during this hand. You go with what you know at the time, which as you've stated was young solid ABC TAG Euro guy.

If I see some guy opening 60% and barreling and raising like crazy over two hours I'm going to assume he's very likely a maniac and range him accordingly. If later it turns out he was just a TAG on a sun run does that make my ranging during the sun run incorrect? No it doesn't, because this is a game of imperfect information and lacking prescience, giving any answer but "no" here is results oriented nonsense.
..
MikeStarr is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 09:45 PM   #175
johnnyBuz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnnyBuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beast Coast
Posts: 7,040
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Mike you are backpedaling. Your OP says nothing about 16/16. You said young Euro who never limps. That player profile fits the range that Shai provided given the effective stacks.

You always change up your reads well after the fact which is why people say you argue circular logic - because you do. Saying you’d defend JTs but not AJs is just nonsensical and has no bearing on the fact that he’d flop top pair with both hands and you’re still checking back. Also doesn’t change the fact that he has two dozen combos of PP’s that will call a c-bet that you are missing value on.
johnnyBuz is offline  

Closed Thread
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive