Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Live Low-stakes NL Discussion of up to 3/5 live no-limit, pot-limit and spread-limit Texas Hold'em poker games, situations and strategies.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2018, 09:16 PM   #126
jjjou812
veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,469
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wait View Post
5 starr thread
Ditto
jjjou812 is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 09:16 PM   #127
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwslim69 View Post
If he's not opening those hands why in the world are we 3b? Is it just to get HU against a stronger range? This is really not good


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seriously? Because the alternative is to call $20 with QQ and go 3-5 to the flop with me being OOP to all but the UTG raiser. That's terrible. Hes probably going to call with hands that I dominate like 88-JJ as well as AK-AJs that Im way ahead of.
MikeStarr is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 09:26 PM   #128
bwslim69
I'm a Diva, Bruh
 
bwslim69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: TPS reports
Posts: 23,947
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
Seriously? Because the alternative is to call $20 with QQ and go 3-5 to the flop with me being OOP to all but the UTG raiser. That's terrible. Hes probably going to call with hands that I dominate like 88-JJ as well as AK-AJs that Im way ahead of.


Sure if he is calling with those hands. My impression was that you didn't think he would continue with those

Also I'm less concerned with the number of players than I am with UTG opening and 3b calling range. Still important obv but latter far more important


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bwslim69 is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 09:26 PM   #129
johnnyBuz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnnyBuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beast Coast
Posts: 7,065
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
Seriously? Because the alternative is to call $20 with QQ and go 3-5 to the flop with me being OOP to all but the UTG raiser. That's terrible. Hes probably going to call with hands that I dominate like 88-JJ as well as AK-AJs that Im way ahead of.
So he’s going to call the 3bet with AJs but then x/f Jxxr flops for a 1/3 PSB?

Okay this thread has officially 1) gone full ******, 2) you are trolling everyone, or 3) you are oblivious to your stream of consciousness and just love to hear yourself talk.
johnnyBuz is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #130
Garick
Oberbiergenießer
 
Garick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Do you even math, bruh?
Posts: 24,501
Re: This one has me scratching head.

I remind everyone that trolling strat threads is not allowed. I will start infracting any non-strat posts ITT. You can disagree with Mike (and vice versa), and even add a headslap emoji, but it better be after substantive strat discussion.

Quote:
Again, I don't agree with everything Mike says, I just think he starts out at a deficit because all of the keyboard warriors mouths start to salivate as soon as the see a HH thread started by him.
This. Stop it.

And Mike, stop quoting your winrate whenever anyone attacks your strat. Incitement to riot is no excuse for rioting, but it does make it more likely.
Garick is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 09:48 PM   #131
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyBuz View Post
So he’s going to call the 3bet with AJs but then x/f Jxxr flops for a 1/3 PSB?

Okay this thread has officially 1) gone full ******, 2) you are trolling everyone, or 3) you are oblivious to your stream of consciousness and just love to hear yourself talk.
For the love of God, where did I say he would fold AJ on the flop? SMH

Some of you guys have some serious reading comprehension problems.
MikeStarr is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 10:10 PM   #132
Shai Hulud
old hand
 
Shai Hulud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,934
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
$2/$5 NL game. Nice action table

UTG ($1000) opens to $20. Hes a Euro kid who never limps. He's raised an appropriate amount for me to think hes solid. He not winning though. I think hes won maybe 1 hand in 2 hours. Hes stuck about $500 but it seems to be just from missing every flop. Hes not doing anything that seem weird/aggro/out of line. He's just not getting to showdown at all or winning any pots.

Hero ($1300) UTG+1 3 bets to $60 QQ.

UTG calls HU

Flop ($120) J74. He checks. I decided to keep this pot small since AA/KK/JJ beats me. I really only beat AK/TT. Maybe hes wider than that but Ive seen no reason to think so. I check back. I think most everyone would put me on AK here.

Turn ($120) T...rainbow...He checks. Not a great card, but he check again so surely Im ahead. I bet $50. He calls.

River ($220) 5. He leads $150. I'm sure my line looks like I dont have much at all. Anyone think its possible he has AK, and thinks I do also and hes trying to take the pot away from OOP with this river bet?

Ive seen zero of his showdowns. Ive seen what looks like standard ABC play from him. I think I only beat AK/AJ and I dont think an ABC played plays AJ like this.

Maybe he has JJ and after I checked the flop he decided to play for the high hand since it looked like I had AK and was drawing dead anyway? I'm scratching my head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
$2/$5 NL game. Nice action table

UTG ($1000) opens to $20. Hes a Euro kid who never limps. He's raised an appropriate amount for me to think hes solid. He not winning though. I think hes won maybe 1 hand in 2 hours. Hes stuck about $500 but it seems to be just from missing every flop. Hes not doing anything that seem weird/aggro/out of line. He's just not getting to showdown at all or winning any pots.

Hero ($1300) UTG+1 3 bets to $60 QQ.

UTG calls HU

Flop ($120) J74. He checks. I decided to keep this pot small since AA/KK/JJ beats me. I really only beat AK/TT. Maybe hes wider than that but Ive seen no reason to think so. I check back. I think most everyone would put me on AK here.
If he's solid and 200BB deep shouldn't he have some TP hands like AJs KJs QJs JTs? We can bet for value against these and underpairs probably peel at least once. He should also have hands that whiffed like AK AQ KQ ATs maybe A5s T9s 98s. He should very rarely have KK+. Solid players don't raise/call KK+ IME. So we are worried about mostly two hands, JJ and 77. Maybe 44.

I don't think checking is horrible but I see no reason not to bet here. I would size around 50 to 60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
Turn ($120) T...rainbow...He checks. Not a great card, but he check again so surely Im ahead. I bet $50. He calls.
Definitely not a good card but maybe not as bad as you think. TT JTs and 98s got there but ATs KTs QTs made second pair and will probably call. I like the bet and sizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
River ($220) 5. He leads $150. I'm sure my line looks like I dont have much at all. Anyone think its possible he has AK, and thinks I do also and hes trying to take the pot away from OOP with this river bet?

Ive seen zero of his showdowns. Ive seen what looks like standard ABC play from him. I think I only beat AK/AJ and I dont think an ABC played plays AJ like this.

Maybe he has JJ and after I checked the flop he decided to play for the high hand since it looked like I had AK and was drawing dead anyway? I'm scratching my head.
River donk is a bit odd. Your line does look like AK so he could be bluffing, but there aren't a lot of bluffs in his range unless we expect him to peel OTT hands like AQ KQ which unfortunately you block. But I think he could have AJ or KJs or QJs here (probably not but at least a couple combos). JJ 77 and JTs also possible, but weirdly played not raising the turn.

I don't expect solid players to slowplay sets in a 3 bet pot, so if your evaluation is that he's solid I would heavily discount sets.

This could be just TP though donking is weird because you can't call with many worse hands. Maybe TT if you even 3 bet that UTG+1.

Mostly this looks like a bluff to me, but sure it is possible he has taken a weird line with JTs or a set, or is betting TP.

I'm tanking to look for a read and sigh calling if I don't pick up anything since we just need to win 29%.
Shai Hulud is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 10:12 PM   #133
johnnyBuz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
johnnyBuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beast Coast
Posts: 7,065
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
For the love of God, where did I say he would fold AJ on the flop? SMH

Some of you guys have some serious reading comprehension problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
Hero ($1300) UTG+1 3 bets to $60 QQ.

UTG calls HU

Flop ($120) J74. He checks. I decided to keep this pot small since AA/KK/JJ beats me. I really only beat AK/TT. Maybe hes wider than that but Ive seen no reason to think so. I check back. I think most everyone would put me on AK here.
Umm how about your first freaking post dude?

When you say you only beat AK/TT you are implying he's either a) not calling with hands like 99/88/66/AJs-JTs pre or that he's x/f them on the flop, both of which are absolutely ******ed assumptions versus a young 20's Euro 200 BB's effective.
johnnyBuz is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 10:21 PM   #134
Shai Hulud
old hand
 
Shai Hulud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,934
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
All of that is true vs lots of guys. This guy just seemed very disciplined and ABC. Almost robotic. I didnt see him opening any speculative type hands UTG.

When he opened UTG and called my 3 bet, I put him on a pretty tight range.
An ABC player isnt going to have much more than AA-JJ or AK, maybe AQs.
You saw zero showdowns so how do you know he isn't opening speculative hands?

IMO an ABC raise/call range looks something like

JJ-55, ATs+, A5s-A4s, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, 98s, AQo+

He may 4 bet or fold some of these hands at some frequency but he should have a lot more than TT JJ AK...
Shai Hulud is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 10:40 PM   #135
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai Hulud View Post
You saw zero showdowns so how do you know he isn't opening speculative hands?

IMO an ABC raise/call range looks something like

JJ-55, ATs+, A5s-A4s, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, 98s, AQo+

He may 4 bet or fold some of these hands at some frequency but he should have a lot more than TT JJ AK...
I dont know that for sure. Im just basing my range for him on his position and his frequency of his raises. I think your range is way too wide for an ABC TAG type player UTG.
MikeStarr is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 10:53 PM   #136
setintostraight
adept
 
setintostraight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 828
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai Hulud View Post
You saw zero showdowns so how do you know he isn't opening speculative hands?

IMO an ABC raise/call range looks something like

JJ-55, ATs+, A5s-A4s, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, 98s, AQo+

He may 4 bet or fold some of these hands at some frequency but he should have a lot more than TT JJ AK...
At low stakes, no way. Now maybe I'm on the nitty side of ABC, but no way in hell I'm opening 55-66 or any of those suited gappers UTG.

My range would look like 88-JJ, AJs+, AQo+, and some would probably argue for being even tighter UTG (shoutout to GG) and a little looser with deeper stacks but just a little.
setintostraight is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 10:59 PM   #137
Notam
journeyman
 
Notam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 396
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
I dont know that for sure. Im just basing my range for him on his position and his frequency of his raises. I think your range is way too wide for an ABC TAG type player UTG.


I agree. But your ABC TAG range here seems way too narrow.

How’s 88-QQ, 1/2 (KK, AA), AQs, 1/2 (AK), 1/2(T9s+)?

With this range, I still think V gets to the river with enough river bluffing hands to justify a call.

BTW, I think the river sizing by V with his KK is way too big. In his position, I bet $90-$100 for thin value. $90, you snap call and we don’t have a 2+2 thread.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Notam is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 11:12 PM   #138
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notam View Post
I agree. But your ABC TAG range here seems way too narrow.

How’s 88-QQ, 1/2 (KK, AA), AQs, 1/2 (AK), 1/2(T9s+)?

With this range, I still think V gets to the river with enough river bluffing hands to justify a call.

BTW, I think the river sizing by V with his KK is way too big. In his position, I bet $90-$100 for thin value. $90, you snap call and we don’t have a 2+2 thread.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That sounds about right. I notice you took out AJ. During the hand I considered AJ but didnt really think he had it. I raise AJ UTG sometimes but it would be pretty rare that I would call a 3 bet from UTG+1 with it.

My UTG raising range is somewhere between yours and what Shai listed depending on the table. On this table I would tighten up for sure in EP.
MikeStarr is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 11:49 PM   #139
Shai Hulud
old hand
 
Shai Hulud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,934
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
I dont know that for sure. Im just basing my range for him on his position and his frequency of his raises. I think your range is way too wide for an ABC TAG type player UTG.
Maybe we mean something different by ABC, solid TAG.

To me a solid ABC TAG player is a strongly winning player using standard ranges, the kind you would find in modern poker books or on training sites.

This range is from crush live poker (and actually intended for LLSNL games like this) for UTG and is close to what I use:

77+, ATs+, A5s, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, 98s, AQo+

At an action table with little 3 betting I will go a bit wider on the pocket pairs but drop the suited connectors and AXs at some frequency. I still open them some but 98s for example I may drop to 25%. Once I raise to 20 however and get 3 bet to 60 by what is likely something like JJ+ AQs+ AK+, I am usually calling 40 with 98s. We are just barely deep enough for a call with such hands. Against you specifically, assuming I know how tight you are postflop and unlikely to pay me off, I may fold, but you seem like a very easy target for semibluffs (or even naked bluffs) so then again maybe not. And I mean no insult by that as it's usually correct in these games to exploitably fold to such aggression.

This is a pretty standard open range for 9-handed.

Janda goes even wider, though he favors AXs to SCs :

77+, A9s+, A5s-A2s, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, AQo+, KQo

Most of these hands we don't 4-bet are worth a call vs. a 3x raise 1k deep. If we use the conservative 15/25/35 rule, calling 98s for example we have 40*25 = 1000 making it breakevenish just for the nutmining qualities of the hand. Add that it's a good bluffing hand vs. you and we have a profitable call. So yes I think a solid ABC Euro guy at an action table 1000 effective (or was he 1300 deep?) is indeed typically raise/calling *something like*

JJ-55, ATs+, A5s-A4s, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, 98s, AQo+

With the caveat some of the weaker hands may be folded or 4 bet bluffed at some frequency, and AK is 4 bet at some frequency. I think this is *close* for villain as described. Maybe he has 7% instead of 9% of hands but it is close.

Much closer than thinking you only beat AK/TT.

BUT if by solid ABC player you mean a typical nitty, unimaginative reg with no bluffs who wins a 3 to 5 blinds an hour, then my range is likely way off.

To me that is just not the definition of a solid ABC player.

And are we disagreeing on his UTG open range or the hands he opens and calls a 3 bet, or both?
Shai Hulud is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 01:21 AM   #140
KT_Purple
banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 553
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkesDave View Post
If this were a table full of GTO players or 2/5 crushers, then maybe a fold makes sense here. On a standard 2/5 table, though, this is an awkward line by your opponent which is too often a weak, last-ditch bluff attempt of a hand with no SDV.

V also may have checked back the flop with the intention to x/r with AJ. He also may have hit the turn with AT. In both of those cases, with Mike underrep'ing his hand, his opponent may have actually thought the river was likely to check through and decided to make a bet with what he thought was the best hand, hoping 88-99 would call a bluffy looking bet.

I don't think anyone is saying that a river call here is super profitable, by the way. Just that it's a must-call. It doesn't matter if you're a crusher, you always call here unless you have some sort of incredibly accurate read on someone you've played hundreds of hours with.
I agree with this to the point that I think if we aren't calling here with QQ, there is something wrong with our overall poker game, even if the cards were face up. It's literally a bad fold even when you're right

If I'm in villains seat I'm going to have 89s or QK or just ace high or even a complete busto hand pretty often when I only call pre and check the flop. If I have KK with any frequency here it's only because "hero" folds to my 3bets too often and I've already run over him in previous (future) encounters. In short, I'm going to force you to call with QQ here because if you are folding it you are laying down to too many of my bluffs

This is one of those MikeStarr posts where he argues he is right because of the actual cards being held but in reality he is wrong because he has already lost money playing hands where he folded the best hand but didn't post. He only posted because he found out he was right this particular time

Or he is a genius

Last edited by KT_Purple; 10-03-2018 at 01:27 AM.
KT_Purple is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 03:07 AM   #141
Badreg2017
veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,900
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Flop: From a theory perspective we should be betting full range here and I don't see why we should deviate from that. I don't think the EV of check vs bet will be massively different, but I definitely prefer a bet.

Turn: I would go bigger on turn but bet is fine.

River: I would call. River leads do tend to be strong but we are just so high up in our range with an underepped hand. We block KQ which is probably his most sensible river lead as a bluff but that's a marginal factor.

Lol @ results.
Badreg2017 is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 04:33 AM   #142
mrdestiny
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 148
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
...

So whether or not you like the way I played this hand and whether or not I should've called the river this time, you should really consider this concept if you are serious about poker...as opposed to the tired old "you suck at poker because you don't play exactly like I do" schtick.

For the life of me I cant figure out why certain people continually refuse to adjust and play the same old tired lines. Then they complain about how poker is getting tougher every year. Its kind of sad actually.
How about you consider a different line on your preflop or flop play? OP tells people to adjust and not play the same old tired lines. Somebody comments on the idea of flatting QQ, OP's response....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
There were no aggro squeezers at the table. Just a bunch of calling stations. If I call the $20, we are going 3-5 ways to the flop almost always. I dont see that as an option at all, but 3 betting and then slowing down post flop if the tightish UTG raiser calls seems like a good option to me.

IMO, going for 2 streets of value is best if he calls the 3 bet but I very well may have checked back the river which is admittedly too nitty.

I dont think he was opening those other suited hands (KJs, QJs, JTs) from UTG but I could be wrong. I mean Im only basing it on a couple hours of play. I open those hands UTG quite often but there's also times where I go card dead and dont raise at all for 2 hours and I would look like a nitball, so I could easily be wrong about him.
Flatting QQ shall not be considered. His line preflop is perfect and is justified by his assumptions which seem to change all the time. Now V can have AJs in his range but to think UTG would raise his other suited broadways... then this guy is borderline maniac player?, but there is a small chance OP is wrong. Even though the OP, a seemingly very tight player, would himself open these hands from UTG. The logic behind this???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
Seriously? Because the alternative is to call $20 with QQ and go 3-5 to the flop with me being OOP to all but the UTG raiser. That's terrible. Hes probably going to call with hands that I dominate like 88-JJ as well as AK-AJs that Im way ahead of.
Wait, remember that advice to flat QQ UTG+1, that is not only being dismissed by OP, it is a terrible play. If you considered this non-standard approach to the game... you are playing terrible poker? Didn't OP just argue to adding a lot more non-conventional play to your arsenal?
And hey while OP's at it, he can now widen V's continue range to his 3bet to back his case for arguing that flatting QQ is a terrible play. Here we go again with the contradictions.
mrdestiny is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 08:01 AM   #143
4_4
grinder
 
4_4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 604
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garick View Post
I remind everyone that trolling strat threads is not allowed. I will start infracting any non-strat posts ITT. You can disagree with Mike (and vice versa), and even add a headslap emoji, but it better be after substantive strat discussion.


This. Stop it.

And Mike, stop quoting your winrate whenever anyone attacks your strat. Incitement to riot is no excuse for rioting, but it does make it more likely.
OP is the obvious culprit. Note that post #133 has not been answered.

When OP makes circular arguments I respectfully disagree with scolding the masses for getting dizzy.
4_4 is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 08:10 AM   #144
4_4
grinder
 
4_4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 604
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
If I dont 3 bet from this position I have to fold or its going to go 3-5 way to the flop. I dont think he was a supernit. I just think he was being overly careful just like I was.
You must be joking. Or trolling. idk I can't comprehend a winning player with this level of ignorance of the math of the game. You'd do well to attempt to demonstrate how a call is -EV.
4_4 is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 08:26 AM   #145
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT_Purple View Post
I agree with this to the point that I think if we aren't calling here with QQ, there is something wrong with our overall poker game, even if the cards were face up. It's literally a bad fold even when you're right

If I'm in villains seat I'm going to have 89s or QK or just ace high or even a complete busto hand pretty often when I only call pre and check the flop. If I have KK with any frequency here it's only because "hero" folds to my 3bets too often and I've already run over him in previous (future) encounters. In short, I'm going to force you to call with QQ here because if you are folding it you are laying down to too many of my bluffs

This is one of those MikeStarr posts where he argues he is right because of the actual cards being held but in reality he is wrong because he has already lost money playing hands where he folded the best hand but didn't post. He only posted because he found out he was right this particular time

Or he is a genius
Read posts #45, #53, #56, #92, #98, #122

That's 6 times that I said the river is a call. How in the world do you think that I am arguing that I was right?
MikeStarr is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 08:30 AM   #146
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4_4 View Post
You must be joking. Or trolling. idk I can't comprehend a winning player with this level of ignorance of the math of the game. You'd do well to attempt to demonstrate how a call is -EV.
The only possible way that flat calling here preflop with QQ is correct is to set mine if UTG will only have AA/KK here. That's just not the case.

The arguments you guys are throwing at me are beyond ridiculous. If I posted this same hand and flat called this UTG raise, Id get flamed.
MikeStarr is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 08:36 AM   #147
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4_4 View Post
OP is the obvious culprit. Note that post #133 has not been answered.

When OP makes circular arguments I respectfully disagree with scolding the masses for getting dizzy.
Actually I did answer post #133 indirectly in post #138.

I didnt put villain on AJ. I considered it but didnt think a seemingly solid ABC type player would call a 3 bet with it in this situation. So in the original post when I said I only beat AK/TT, it was because I wasnt putting him on AJ. I shouldve included AJ in the hands I beat though because it is possible for him to have it.
MikeStarr is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 09:44 AM   #148
mrdestiny
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 148
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
The only possible way that flat calling here preflop with QQ is correct is to set mine if UTG will only have AA/KK here. That's just not the case.

The arguments you guys are throwing at me are beyond ridiculous. If I posted this same hand and flat called this UTG raise, Id get flamed.
YOUR arguments are beyond ridiculous and contradictory, especially when it comes to flatting QQ preflop. You state that it is incorrect to do this. How about your flop, turn and river line? To me it seems like those lines are also incorrect, but you seem to be able to defend your passive lines. So you are basically saying that you cannot mix it up preflop but postflop you are allowed to be creative? This is probably my third or maybe even fourth times bringing this up.

Why do find that QQ cannot be flatted preflop but justify it being played passively on J74 board HU in position with the initiative? Why is calling preflop a mistake you cannot make, but checking flop a mistake that you seem acceptable? Enlighten me please.
mrdestiny is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #149
Homey D. Clown
adept
 
Homey D. Clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,103
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
If I posted this same hand and flat called this UTG raise, Id get flamed.
I can't imagine you would. Why would flatting be so horrible? Someone could squeeze behind you, or you can win a nice pot post-flop with a well-disguised hand. Even if you go 5way to the flop, it doesn't automatically mean you're beat. You could still win a good-sized pot with a well-disguised hand. Or get away cheaply on less favourable boards.

I'm not against 3betting here, but I don't particularly love 3betting a presumably tight player from UTG+1 either, certainly not if you're basically turning your hand face-up. Everyone will put you on AA/KK, maybe QQ/AK, and they would probably be right.

Furthermore, if we have QQ, we don't want them to fold all their AQ, AJ, ATs, KQ, KJs, QJs, JTs... If we think they're folding so much (I don't, but you seem to think so), then why would our EV be higher if we raise than if we call? Sure, we could let half the table in, but as long as we know what we're doing post-flop and don't automatically go nuts, that doesn't necessarily have to be the disaster you think it is.
Homey D. Clown is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 10:15 AM   #150
MikeStarr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,978
Re: This one has me scratching head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdestiny View Post
YOUR arguments are beyond ridiculous and contradictory, especially when it comes to flatting QQ preflop. You state that it is incorrect to do this. How about your flop, turn and river line? To me it seems like those lines are also incorrect, but you seem to be able to defend your passive lines. So you are basically saying that you cannot mix it up preflop but postflop you are allowed to be creative? This is probably my third or maybe even fourth times bringing this up.

Why do find that QQ cannot be flatted preflop but justify it being played passively on J74 board HU in position with the initiative? Why is calling preflop a mistake you cannot make, but checking flop a mistake that you seem acceptable? Enlighten me please.
Ive flatted raises with big pairs plenty of times, but I think its a mistake to do it in this spot with so many people behind me that I have every reason to believe are coming in. I see good strong winning players make moves that I think are mistakes quite often, but when they are winning players I try to figure out why they did it to see if it makes sense to me. Maybe I can add those plays to my arsenal. Ive added a lot of plays this way over the last 3 years and my results have increased dramatically.

Checking the flop is not a mistake. Its just a non standard play to mix in from time to time. I would bet the flop most of the time but not every time. If I had bet the flop and he folded (which happens all the time) I wouldnt have posted the hand. It wouldnt have been very interesting now would it?

So you are critiquing my play and it seems stupid to you, but you should be opening your mind to alternative lines that can make you much tougher to read and increase your win rate. My mistake in this hand was folding the river after taking an alternative line. If anyone is counting thats the 7th time I said the river was a mistake.


Let me give you another example hand

I open $20 in MP KJ. An aggro guy calls in the BB

Flop ($40) K64. He checks. I check back. If I posted this hand and didnt bet the flop people's head would explode. (OMG you have TP you have to bet)

Turn ($40) 3. He leads $50. I call
River ($140) 2. He bets $125. I tank for a while and then call.

He had QJ. I made an extra $175 by checking the flop and underepping my hand. Could I have gotten outdrawn by doing that? Of course. He couldve had 33 or 5x or a few other hands that outdrew me

My point is that there are plenty of ways to make money playing poker. If I posted this KJ hand, this same type of argument wouldve broken out. If I had bet the flop in this KJ kand which I would do 75% of the time, he wouldve check/folded and I wouldnt have posted the hand.
MikeStarr is offline  

Closed Thread
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive