Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Live Low-stakes NL Discussion of up to 3/5 live no-limit, pot-limit and spread-limit Texas Hold'em poker games, situations and strategies.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #301
PokahBlows
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,005
Re: Not Quite Threadworthy--Low Stress Strat Questions

Lmao
PokahBlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #302
nilesharding
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 223
Re: Not Quite Threadworthy--Low Stress Strat Questions

Simple call or simple fold?

I've been at the table for about 2 orbits and have played 4 hands (raised all 4 and won 3 with cbets).

Villain 1 sat down a few hands ago. Mid 20s white guy with dreadlocks. Doesn't seem very experienced and a bit nervous/unsure of himself. Posted UTG+1. Stack: 200.

Villain 2 is a boisterous, jolly, older man. I played one pot with him where I raised to 15 in CO with 99 after 3 limps and he was the only caller in HJ. Flop was A23r. He led 15 into about 35 and I called, planning to fold if he bet again or try to take it away if he checked. Turn J and he ships about 170 into 65. I fake deliberate a few seconds and fold, and he rolls over AJ saying, "Ha, I thought you had AK." Stack: 225.

The hand: V1 raises to 12 in MP after it's folded to him. He hasn't raised yet. V2 flats in SB. I pick up AKo in BB with 200 behind and squeeze to 50. V1 looks really unsure and takes about a minute to call. V2 takes about 15 seconds and re-ships putting me and V1 all-in. My action?

Easy call or easy fold?
nilesharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #303
playertee
Pooh-Bah
 
playertee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Motor City!
Posts: 4,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesharding View Post
Simple call or simple fold?

I've been at the table for about 2 orbits and have played 4 hands (raised all 4 and won 3 with cbets).

Villain 1 sat down a few hands ago. Mid 20s white guy with dreadlocks. Doesn't seem very experienced and a bit nervous/unsure of himself. Posted UTG+1. Stack: 200.

Villain 2 is a boisterous, jolly, older man. I played one pot with him where I raised to 15 in CO with 99 after 3 limps and he was the only caller in HJ. Flop was A23r. He led 15 into about 35 and I called, planning to fold if he bet again or try to take it away if he checked. Turn J and he ships about 170 into 65. I fake deliberate a few seconds and fold, and he rolls over AJ saying, "Ha, I thought you had AK." Stack: 225.

The hand: V1 raises to 12 in MP after it's folded to him. He hasn't raised yet. V2 flats in SB. I pick up AKo in BB with 200 behind and squeeze to 50. V1 looks really unsure and takes about a minute to call. V2 takes about 15 seconds and re-ships putting me and V1 all-in. My action?

Easy call or easy fold?
I think that's a fold, he's not pulling fancy moves
playertee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #304
nilesharding
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 223
Re: Not Quite Threadworthy--Low Stress Strat Questions

I just can't see AA/KK flatting from the SB, then reshipping over a squeeze. I think this is the guy to 3bet AA/KK. I put range on SB as 99-QQ. Is that too generous or just wishful thinking?

As far as V1, I can't understand his hesitation. I'm thinking a higher pair as well, but unsure, like a very similar range to SB. Is it -EV to embrace variance and call against two potential under-pairs, or, am I just artificially capping their ranges in game with some optimism?

Board:
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 37.234% 37.12% 00.12% 2784089952 8764848.00 { AKo }
Hand 1: 31.383% 30.07% 01.31% 2255408676 98546868.00 { QQ-99 }
Hand 2: 31.383% 30.07% 01.31% 2255408676 98546868.00 { QQ-99 }

Pot is 600. My equity is 600*0.372 = 223.40. Therefore EV = +23.40?

Even tightening the range:

Board:
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 33.524% 33.36% 00.16% 1876873032 9067464.00 { AKo }
Hand 1: 33.238% 31.88% 01.36% 1793254356 76562604.00 { KK-TT }
Hand 2: 33.238% 31.88% 01.36% 1793254356 76562604.00 { KK-TT }

600 * 0.335 = 201.14; EV = +1.14, so basically neutral.

I'm just trying to figure the right way to think about it. Do I just have to consider the times I am demolished against AA?
nilesharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #305
Grin -N- Bear IT
grinder
 
Grin -N- Bear IT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 481
How many years can someone run good in live poker?

I've been waiting and wishing for a player to go broke/ lose a bunch of money for ~6 months but the man keeps running good.
Grin -N- Bear IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #306
playertee
Pooh-Bah
 
playertee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Motor City!
Posts: 4,985
Re: Not Quite Threadworthy--Low Stress Strat Questions

what range do u guys call a river raise with if the action goes you raise pre, bet flop(1/2pot) bet turn(1/2pot) bet river(1/2pot) with the following hands IP vs a complete unknown, who call/call/raise?, 100 bb effective: Flop-Turn-River

hand 1) A98r-7-A
hand 2) K68r-2-5
hand 3) 972r-4-A

I know it's kinda generic question but i've been watching the river raises and i'm kinda confused...same villain raised the 3 hands otr
playertee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #307
ibelieveyouoweme$80k
LLSNL FF Champ '13
 
ibelieveyouoweme$80k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wentzylvania baby
Posts: 12,711
Re: Not Quite Threadworthy--Low Stress Strat Questions

I'm never calling here, what do you think villain's range is here:

Same villain as my 34o hand; young asian kid who is stuck and tilting.

I pick up 99 and raise to $11. He calls. Flop comes T43. I bet $25 ... There must have been a third caller. He calls. Turn is a K. I bet $25 again now; I probably should have just checked. He shoves for $500 effective.

To be honest, I think he's bluffing a percentage of the time. But I can never call. I mean, there's $100 in the pot give or take a few bucks and he shoves for $500? How am I calling him without KK or TT?
ibelieveyouoweme$80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #308
Oxata
Pooh-Bah
 
Oxata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,730
Re: Not Quite Threadworthy--Low Stress Strat Questions

I don't think villain is bluffing the turn like this. It's going to be a bluff rarely, and if it were a bluff, more likely he would bluff the flop. I think you'll see naked T's here and overpairs a lot. I can't see too many draws semi-bluffing this especially if its a rainbow board. To me his range almost has no bluffs in it. And you are right, betting the turn is a leak. I would check and get to show down cheaply and only bet if we hit our 2 outer. As played, fold and don't worry about it.
Oxata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #309
Bok Choy Jr
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 92
Re: Not Quite Threadworthy--Low Stress Strat Questions

Short stacking 5/10 in order to blow a few racks and loosen up.

Only hand I've seen villain play, he limp/called a 5 or 6x open by the player to his left, check called T8x two tone, led blank turn for like 4/5pot, and checked blank river with A6s. PFR checked back river and his QQ was good.

Dealt to Hero: TT
Effective stacks ~500

Villain (UTG or UTG+1) opens to 40, MP1 (reg, had QQ in above hand) calls, MP2 calls, I call in HJ, BTN calls, one blind calls.

Flop ($240): AAA
Villain leads $80, folds around, Hero?
Bok Choy Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #310
Pay4Myschool
Haz Chuck Norris 4 Dad
 
Pay4Myschool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan / California
Posts: 7,473
Re: Not Quite Threadworthy--Low Stress Strat Questions

Don't like this spot much, would be willing to stack with JJ here though since we crush another part of villains preflop range. 99-tt is entirely possible to raise pre. I dont see much air in his cbetting range here, (KQ sometimes, 77-99 is a stretch UTG) Would prefer a stackoff preflop if Villain UTG has a wider opening range pre given the 2 callers in between.
Pay4Myschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #311
Johnny 99
grinder
 
Johnny 99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 610
Re: Not Quite Threadworthy--Low Stress Strat Questions

In 1-3, I raise 4 limpers to $17 in sb, get 2 calls with KK

Read on V1 is super passive short stack--15bbs

Villain 2 (botton) is not terrible, perhaps passive was my read--as we used to say on 2+2 when Mason posted limit hands, he was "trying to play well."

Flop comes 45T

Pot ~$52

I bet $50, V1 folds, V2 raises to $105.

What is the maximum stack size we will stack off with here? ($152 in pot, $55 to call)

When do we call and how do we play once this happens, if ever?
Johnny 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #312
pointguard
grinder
 
pointguard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 639
Re: Not Quite Threadworthy--Low Stress Strat Questions

1/2

3 limpers, Hero raises to 13 with KT in CO, second limper calls from utg+2

Reads:

Hero ($200)20's, white, haven't played a hand yet, just sat down 10 hands ago.

utg2 ($160) is early 20's asian wearing sunglasses, shuffling chips. He was questioning a fish for calling a PSB with QJ on a 9T23 board earlier in a hand that he wasn't involved in. I think he's running ~40/10 over 10 hands.

Flop ($30) K34
utg2 checks, Hero bets $15, utg2 thinks for 15 seconds and raises to $55,
pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #313
Pay4Myschool
Haz Chuck Norris 4 Dad
 
Pay4Myschool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan / California
Posts: 7,473
Re: Not Quite Threadworthy--Low Stress Strat Questions

PG I think you are beat, and I'm not willing to find out. NH if you folded imo
Pay4Myschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #314
Pay4Myschool
Haz Chuck Norris 4 Dad
 
Pay4Myschool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan / California
Posts: 7,473
Re: Not Quite Threadworthy--Low Stress Strat Questions

Johnny there is a chance this guy is raising you with a big draw if he thinks you can fold. What is his stack size? I have found that decent players will try to semibluff more against good players when they think they have a shot, this is based on table reads and his frequency I think.
Pay4Myschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #315
Illiterate
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 1,237
Re: Not Quite Threadworthy--Low Stress Strat Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointguard View Post
1/2

3 limpers, Hero raises to 13 with KT in CO, second limper calls from utg+2

Reads:

Hero ($200)20's, white, haven't played a hand yet, just sat down 10 hands ago.

utg2 ($160) is early 20's asian wearing sunglasses, shuffling chips. He was questioning a fish for calling a PSB with QJ on a 9T23 board earlier in a hand that he wasn't involved in. I think he's running ~40/10 over 10 hands.

Flop ($30) K34
utg2 checks, Hero bets $15, utg2 thinks for 15 seconds and raises to $55,
I'd bet more on a two-tone flop, something between $22-25.

As played, I think this is an easy fold. I'm assuming his limp/calling range preflop will be something like 88-22, A2s-A9s, KQ-K9, QJ, QT, JT (we could add suited connectors to this, but I don't like to until I see villain actually play them like this oop.) Out of this range, Villain is most likely check/raising AcXc, QcJc, all of his Kx hands, 44, and 33. We're only ahead of K9 and QJcc here, flipping with NFDs, and crushed by the rest of his range.

He could be doing something out of line here, but ten hands of history with a villain with no showdown information is not enough to assume that it's probable.
Illiterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #316
ibelieveyouoweme$80k
LLSNL FF Champ '13
 
ibelieveyouoweme$80k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wentzylvania baby
Posts: 12,711
Re: Not Quite Threadworthy--Low Stress Strat Questions

In position, do you always make this call?

It was folded to me on the button and I limped for $2 with 55 ... I had a guy in the BB who had been raising regularly and thought he might 3-bet me so I just called pre. Normally, I raise this about 75 percent of the time in a limped pot on the button. Sure enough, he makes it $17 in the BB. ($1/$2 game). He's got about $170ish in front, so right on the 10:1 to make the call. The SB is ready to muck and one limper calls in between ... I call.

Flop is 773 with two hearts. There's $50ish in the pot and he bets $24. I think about raising, but if he ships it, I have to decide whether to put in the final $100 getting 2:1 or fold, so I just call.

I think it's a standard board to see a turn card on, plus, he's going to bet AK here a lot of the time then give up on a low turn in my experience.

Call or fold here? Or raise? What is your standard line?

Villain is a late 20s black man who had previously lost set over set OOP to a guy just calling him down until the river. He left the table for a time and then came back. Not terrible, not real good, either.
ibelieveyouoweme$80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #317
PokahBlows
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,005
Re: Not Quite Threadworthy--Low Stress Strat Questions

The way you played the hand is the perfect scenario of why I hate having pairs in my hand that don't hit the board or don't flop an overpair. I just hate bluffing with these types of hands. I want bd draws, blockers something. Not 2 outs, we almost never improve.

As played I would fold on the flop.
PokahBlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #318
Pay4Myschool
Haz Chuck Norris 4 Dad
 
Pay4Myschool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan / California
Posts: 7,473
Re: Not Quite Threadworthy--Low Stress Strat Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibelieveinkolb View Post
In position, do you always make this call?

It was folded to me on the button and I limped for $2 with 55 ... I had a guy in the BB who had been raising regularly and thought he might 3-bet me so I just called pre. Normally, I raise this about 75 percent of the time in a limped pot on the button. Sure enough, he makes it $17 in the BB. ($1/$2 game). He's got about $170ish in front, so right on the 10:1 to make the call. The SB is ready to muck and one limper calls in between ... I call.

Flop is 773 with two hearts. There's $50ish in the pot and he bets $24. I think about raising, but if he ships it, I have to decide whether to put in the final $100 getting 2:1 or fold, so I just call.

I think it's a standard board to see a turn card on, plus, he's going to bet AK here a lot of the time then give up on a low turn in my experience.

Call or fold here? Or raise? What is your standard line?

Villain is a late 20s black man who had previously lost set over set OOP to a guy just calling him down until the river. He left the table for a time and then came back. Not terrible, not real good, either.
This is thread worthy. Post it imo

I think I make a raise, but why is he 3 betting you so light? How confident he 3 bets your raise here pre? I actually think in this circumstance its ok to limp for your reasoning though.
Pay4Myschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #319
ibelieveyouoweme$80k
LLSNL FF Champ '13
 
ibelieveyouoweme$80k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wentzylvania baby
Posts: 12,711
Re: Not Quite Threadworthy--Low Stress Strat Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay4Myschool View Post
This is thread worthy. Post it imo

I think I make a raise, but why is he 3 betting you so light? How confident he 3 bets your raise here pre? I actually think in this circumstance its ok to limp for your reasoning though.
started a thread. to answer your question, i think it was a combination of the fact that i had been raising a decent amount and shown down some suited connectors, etc. so if he has a medium-big pair he probably raises me. he also was stuck/frustrated. i hate to say tilt, because i don't really think he played badly, but you could tell losing a couple of hands had him frustrated.
ibelieveyouoweme$80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #320
Johnny 99
grinder
 
Johnny 99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 610
Re: Not Quite Threadworthy--Low Stress Strat Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay4Myschool View Post
Johnny there is a chance this guy is raising you with a big draw if he thinks you can fold. What is his stack size? I have found that decent players will try to semibluff more against good players when they think they have a shot, this is based on table reads and his frequency I think.
He had about $160 behind.

I am always confused by these small raises. They seem to be begging for a call. But for many players who don't really pay attention to pot size, I suppose it seems like a robust raise (oooh $55 more!). To me it meant it looked like a $210 raise and I shipped to make it that. Doesn't seem like too tricky a situation with these stacks. I was deep at time (~300bbs) and was wondering how I should have played if there were 200bbs behind instead of 50bbs.
Johnny 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #321
Schadenfred
grinder
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 656
2/5

Hero (450) - Generally somewhere between TAG to TAP. Viewed today by unfamiliar villains as LAGgy. Have 3b light pf and shown. Other uncommon moves.

Villain 1 (covers) - Tight but decent Asian. Early hand I had TPTK and led flop hu and c/r non-scary turn. Didn't show but villain thought some air was in my range.

Villain 2 (covers) - Young LAG. Likely internet. Opens often and is bluffy. Talked lots of strat with friend. Bets draws on multiple streets.

Hand:

V1 limps utg. V2 raises 20 utg+2. Folds to me in sb. Flat with 77. V1 calls.

Flop (60):

489r

Checks around. Expected V2 to cb most of his range.

Turn (60):

4r

Check, check, V2 fires 40. I call, expecting V2 to have air/set (discount set, though). V1 calls. Put V1 on bare 8/9.

River (180):

Q

Check, check, V2 bets 115. Think V2 still has air or a Q. Think he fires flop with most Qs, though. Still think V1 has bare 8/9.

Hero?
Schadenfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #322
jack492505
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,271
Re: Not Quite Threadworthy--Low Stress Strat Questions

WTF is a TAP?

I originally was going to say fold, but the more I think about it I might call. I can't really think of what V2 would have checked back the flop with that is beating us. My main concern is V1 behind us, btu presumably he will fold marginal hands rather than overcall them. Its pretty marginal though and may be better to just fold so you don't monkeytilt when you call and lose.
jack492505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #323
Garick
Oberbiergenießer
 
Garick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Do you even math, bruh?
Posts: 19,340
Re: Not Quite Threadworthy--Low Stress Strat Questions

I wouldn't flat here, as it encourages an overcall from V1. Personally, I think a raise here is super high variance, but would be sexy. No way V1 calls with bare 8 or 9, and V2 likely can't call unless he actually spiked the Q. Of course, if he has a set, he'll raise and you'll have to fold having put in half your stack.

Fold>Raise>Call here, imo.
Garick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #324
jack492505
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,271
Re: Not Quite Threadworthy--Low Stress Strat Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garick View Post
I wouldn't flat here, as it encourages an overcall from V1. Personally, I think a raise here is super high variance, but would be sexy. No way V1 calls with bare 8 or 9, and V2 likely can't call unless he actually spiked the Q. Of course, if he has a set, he'll raise and you'll have to fold having put in half your stack.

Fold>Raise>Call here, imo.
Meh, I'm not all that worried about V1 overcalling if he is tight but decent.
jack492505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #325
Schadenfred
grinder
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garick View Post
I wouldn't flat here, as it encourages an overcall from V1. Personally, I think a raise here is super high variance, but would be sexy. No way V1 calls with bare 8 or 9, and V2 likely can't call unless he actually spiked the Q. Of course, if he has a set, he'll raise and you'll have to fold having put in half your stack.

Fold>Raise>Call here, imo.
That was precisely my line of thinking. I couldn't flat. If I'm V1, I overcall with 9T/9J/97 and maybe 78/68. I thought I was well ahead of V2's range. I gave a lot of thought (tanking) to raising... even min-raising to give V2 an opportunity to hero-call and to give V1 the fear of losing with all 8s and some 9s.

In the end, though, I folded and hated it. Absolutely hated my fold. V1 was nitty enough to fold what he later told me was either an 8 or 9, which was really poor. In his spot, I snap with any pair and maybe AJ.

V2 turned over A6s after his friend asked if he had quads. Given my previous plays, I wonder if he would have hero-called a min...

Edit: Garick, you flip over a single 7 if V2 (and V1) folds to a (min-)raise? I wouldn't mind giving the impression of a complete bluff. I've been doing that more recently in select spots and have found myself getting paid off more. Almost any bluff I'm showing.

Last edited by Schadenfred; 03-14-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Schadenfred is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online