Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Live Low-stakes NL Discussion of up to 3/5 live no-limit, pot-limit and spread-limit Texas Hold'em poker games, situations and strategies.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 05:47 AM   #1
100stackzz
stranger
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Never go broke in a limped pot

$3/5

Villain: big stack at the table. He's been playing very passively preflop limping in about half of the hands he's dealt. He seems to be fairly passive postflop as well; but has been taking down pots by showing down strong hands. Running really hot has built his stack to about $1500.


Hero is dealt 78 in the BB with about $550 behind. 4 limpers and the SB completes. so its 6-way to the flop.

875 with two diamonds (Pot~ $30)

Hero bets $25.

Villain calls. Short stack goes all in for about $130.
Folded around to Hero who calls. Short stack was fairly new to the table but seemed loose and fishy enough to be shoving here with a worse hand.

Action is back on villain who goes all in.

Hero? Could villain be going crazy here with a worse two pair which is definitely in his limping range. Or is this shove into a protected pot almost always the nuts.
100stackzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
milo magpie
newbie
 
milo magpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 25
Feels like an over pair to me, something like 10s or JJ, trying to push out a flush draw. Why re-shove with 69 here?
milo magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
loosekanen
USA#1, Oh Yeah!
 
loosekanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: N/A
Posts: 27,496
Re: Never go broke in a limped pot

could be any number of things but there are a lot of big draws looking to isolate the shove in his range. as it stands you should have been the one isolating and your call of shorty really put you in a bind. You're getting 2/1 on your money so you have to call. But you're probably behind.
loosekanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
LCposter
journeyman
 
LCposter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: fighting to keep a 2-digit ROI
Posts: 271
There is $340 in the pot when it gets to villian. He could shove a fairly wide range here, such as set, 2p, and combos such as pair+fd, pair+oesd, fd+oesd. I'd call and expect to see K6dd/Q6dd type of hands a lot (he's ahead of 2p if all the 9s, 4s, and diamonds are still in the deck, and there is a ton of equity in him getting you to fold if you have a better flush draw or even the same oesd).

Sent from my SGH-T889 using 2+2 Forums
LCposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
eldiesel
Pooh-Bah
 
eldiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,585
Re: Never go broke in a limped pot

Villain at best has a 6 in his hand and two diamonds. I think often not this many outs though, I'm being generous for the following math. You're getting almost exactly 2:1 and if he has that many outs you're flipping. So calling is +EV.

I have no reason to think you're behind right now.

But I would have shoved. For Villain to flat the 25 first time around, then over shove, I don't think he ever does that with 55, he'd probably just love your PSB lead and raise, so I'm not worried about any set and shoving would get him to fold his drawy hand.
eldiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #6
sauhund
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: osiasgriffin
Posts: 5,839
Re: Never go broke in a limped pot

i think you guys overestimate the number of drawing hands a passive preflop/passive postflop player will have in his range once he 3bet shoves the flop.
sauhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
Urielx
centurion
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 140
Re: Never go broke in a limped pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauhund View Post
i think you guys overestimate the number of drawing hands a passive preflop/passive postflop player will have in his range once he 3bet shoves the flop.
I agree 100% here.
I mean if we think villain is passive postflop, we don't really expect him to be shoving in marginal spots.

OP, with us holding top 2, it's actually somewhat harder for him to be holding another type of 2p hand. There's only 1 combo of each 77/88, 6 of 55, and 6 of each 8/5 and 7/5.

We're looking to have to call 420 to about 840 so we're getting just about 2:1. I'm just not sure we're good 33% of the time here against a passive villain that overshoves.

Last edited by Urielx; 08-05-2013 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Messed up on the math.
Urielx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
spikeraw22
The Situation
 
spikeraw22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SB is the new BTN
Posts: 8,722
Re: Never go broke in a limped pot

not raising yourself was a mistake. I very much doubt he's call/shoving worse than top two. Accidentally saved yourself money.
spikeraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
pgcounty
veteran
 
pgcounty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: utg+1
Posts: 3,157
Re: Never go broke in a limped pot

See thread title and act accordingly.
pgcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #10
jambre
adept
 
jambre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,181
Re: Never go broke in a limped pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100stackzz View Post
$3/5

Villain: big stack at the table. He's been playing very passively preflop limping in about half of the hands he's dealt. He seems to be fairly passive postflop as well; but has been taking down pots by showing down strong hands. Running really hot has built his stack to about $1500.


Hero is dealt 78 in the BB with about $550 behind. 4 limpers and the SB completes. so its 6-way to the flop.

875 with two diamonds (Pot~ $30)

Hero bets $25.

Villain calls. Short stack goes all in for about $130.
Folded around to Hero who calls. Short stack was fairly new to the table but seemed loose and fishy enough to be shoving here with a worse hand.

Action is back on villain who goes all in.

Hero? Could villain be going crazy here with a worse two pair which is definitely in his limping range. Or is this shove into a protected pot almost always the nuts.
Read bold.
jambre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
CohibaBehike
Pooh-Bah
 
CohibaBehike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: LS Life
Posts: 3,651
Re: Never go broke in a limped pot

this type of villain always has it.
CohibaBehike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
bigfishead
veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,811
Re: Never go broke in a limped pot

Mama told me 30 yrs ago, "Don't get stacked in a limped pot". I stand by this rule big time. Until yesterday. Super fishy 1-3 nl game, lots of PF raising with multiple callers. I pick up Aces utg, limp so I can LRR, and sure as hell 7 people limp.

I bet $15 on a Q84 rainbow board, get raised to $50, (I started with about $250) by a total fish that overplays his hands big time. So I get another dose of fancy play syndrome and decide to flat and let him fire the turn.

Turn 3, he fires $100, I call.
River 3, I stick my last $100 in because I narrowed him down to Q8, Q4s, or 84, all two pair hands or KQ, QJ, QT, all hands he'll call the last $100 with too.

He turbo calls and flips over Q3.

I slap my forehead, knowing I'm an idiot. Rebuy $500, end session +$265. But still pissed I stacked myself in a limped pot.
bigfishead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #13
CohibaBehike
Pooh-Bah
 
CohibaBehike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: LS Life
Posts: 3,651
Re: Never go broke in a limped pot

lol @ LRR AA utg... people still do that in 2013!??? lololol
CohibaBehike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
bigfishead
veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,811
Re: Never go broke in a limped pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CohibaBehike View Post
lol @ LRR AA utg... people still do that in 2013!??? lololol
For me it's rare, but in the right games it can be great. People can LRR pretty wide ranges 5-10 and lower.

10 yrs ago it was 99% AA, 1% KK. But today it can be 98s even
bigfishead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
100stackzz
stranger
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Once villain shoved I couldn't put him on a drawing hand. He was playing his draws pretty passively from what I've seen and if he did have some type of combo draw he would have flatted. Figured he either had set or flopped straight so I mucked my hand.
Short stack showed KJdd and turned a flush against villains 96.
100stackzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #16
spikeraw22
The Situation
 
spikeraw22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SB is the new BTN
Posts: 8,722
Re: Never go broke in a limped pot

shakes head.
spikeraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #17
ILOVEPOKER929
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ILOVEPOKER929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Making God facepalm.
Posts: 29,077
Re: Never go broke in a limped pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100stackzz View Post
Once villain shoved I couldn't put him on a drawing hand. He was playing his draws pretty passively from what I've seen and if he did have some type of combo draw he would have flatted. Figured he either had set or flopped straight so I mucked my hand.
Short stack showed KJdd and turned a flush against villains 96.
Always good to see this happen. The more tilting suckouts the better!
ILOVEPOKER929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #18
MRB
centurion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 170
Re: Never go broke in a limped pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urielx View Post
I agree 100% here.
I mean if we think villain is passive postflop, we don't really expect him to be shoving in marginal spots.

OP, with us holding top 2, it's actually somewhat harder for him to be holding another type of 2p hand. There's only 1 combo of each 77/88, 6 of 55, and 6 of each 8/5 and 7/5.

We're looking to have to call 420 to about 840 so we're getting just about 2:1. I'm just not sure we're good 33% of the time here against a passive villain that overshoves.
Yeah really agree here. Lots of these types of guys love to play insane hands for a limp or small raise preflop, but when the big money goes in they will always have it. It's actually really iimportant to punish these types of players preflop by getting behind them and raising out their limps whenever possible. Frustrates them and is +EV
MRB is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive