Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Live Low-stakes NL Discussion of up to 3/5 live no-limit, pot-limit and spread-limit Texas Hold'em poker games, situations and strategies.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
Jmrode67
adept
 
Jmrode67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bensalem, PA
Posts: 858
$1/$2 - Line Check/River spot

Parx $1/$2NL 300max 9-handed

In general a great table with multiple very weak players, loose but more aggressive than your average $1/$2.

Villain ($450) : V & his friend are both at the table and both pretty big spots in the game. V is a very weak player and is playing somewhat erratic and gets overly excited (i.e. jumps up and claps or whatever) whenever he wins a decent size pot. Clearly not thinking in depth. Has shown a few bluffs - about 50% of which he over bet in small pots (i.e. $35 into $15) when checked to. He is in the for two $120 bullets.

Hero ($307) opening quite a bit and cbetting a lot (probably too much) earlier on and now have tightened up a little due to a good reg being sat to my left.

Preflop Fold to Hero in CO who opens to $12 with 3 4
3 Callers, including the V in CO

Flop ($45): A Q 2
V leads $10, Hero Raises to $50, Fold to V who Call $40 more...

Turn ($144) A
V checks, Hero Bets $65, V calls

River ($274) 9
V leads $20, Hero...
Jmrode67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
daniel9861
veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,381
Re: $1/$2 - Line Check/River spot

Bet turn bigger as he's never folding Ax. As playing I'm shoving because he doesn't have any boats in his range and I don't think he's capable of folding any Ax. He would also bet river bigger for value with a flush hoping we have Ax.
daniel9861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
Jmrode67
adept
 
Jmrode67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bensalem, PA
Posts: 858
Re: $1/$2 - Line Check/River spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel9861 View Post
Bet turn bigger as he's never folding Ax. As playing I'm shoving because he doesn't have any boats in his range and I don't think he's capable of folding any Ax. He would also bet river bigger for value with a flush hoping we have Ax.
Yeah my in game thought on turn vs this player was that he can have a ton of flushes on the turn and wanted to leave myself an opportunity fold vs c/r jam... and I figured I should be able to get it in vs Ax & this player on most rivers.

I agree with him not having a flush here... I think he leads turn or raises turn almost always.

On river, his bet looks like a blocker bet with Ax
Jmrode67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
Rizzeedizzee
veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,746
Re: $1/$2 - Line Check/River spot

First off, you say you're in CO and villain is as well. But I take it from how the hand plays out that villian was either in the SB or BB instead. No biggie.

Lack of reraises and oddly small bet on river removes any doubt I'd have about V holding a set of 2s or larger flush. I agree with Jmrode67 - this is almost assuredly an ace and what you do on river depends on whether you think he's apt to call. Since he was willing to call $60 on the turn and the board isn't any sort of a scare card I'd go with a raise to no less than $75, and perhaps as high as $100 or perhaps even $125.
Rizzeedizzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
daniel9861
veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,381
Re: $1/$2 - Line Check/River spot

I would bet about 1/3 of what he has left on the turn so he doesn't make a pot commitment shove with Ax and we level ourselves into folding the best hand thinking he's not shoving with worse. So like $85 on the turn.
daniel9861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
Jmrode67
adept
 
Jmrode67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bensalem, PA
Posts: 858
Re: $1/$2 - Line Check/River spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel9861 View Post
I would bet about 1/3 of what he has left on the turn so he doesn't make a pot commitment shove with Ax and we level ourselves into folding the best hand thinking he's not shoving with worse. So like $85 on the turn.
Yeah, agree with this the more I think about it ... If he shoves it's gross bc a bad player such a V can have AJ and think it's the nuts.
Jmrode67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
Jmrode67
adept
 
Jmrode67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bensalem, PA
Posts: 858
Re: $1/$2 - Line Check/River spot

River Results:

Spoiler:
Jmrode67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
Eihli
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,403
Re: $1/$2 - Line Check/River spot

From my experience, this flop bet/call looks a lot like a flush draw trying to give themselves a cheap price to a turn, or a weak ace trying to see where they are at.

Just because he doesn't bet or raise the turn doesn't change anything. Since the board paired he might think putting in a bet or raise would be overplaying his flush if he put you on an Ace, twopair, or a set.

The river looks like a blocking bet for the same reason, with a small Ace or a flush.

And of course there's the rare wierdly played monster or weaker hand.

But below are some ranges to give you an idea of how often he'd have each hand on each street.

Given this, trips appear most likely, but I don't think many people would call a large raise on this river with trips. Especially since so many of his trips have weak kickers. And since he's unlikely to 3bet with a flush since he's scared of a full house, I'd make a smallish raise to like 50 or 60 and fold to a shove. I think that's the best play. You get looked up by most of his trips. Since almost 30% of his range beats you, you need to get called by about half of his range that you beat for a raise to be correct.





Eihli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #9
daniel9861
veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,381
Re: $1/$2 - Line Check/River spot

To me V sounds like the type that won't fold Ax here to a shove even though he only beats a bluff but it's hard to translate that kind of a read on an online forum. I think he's calling $80 more with trips for sure though so $100 would be a safe bet to make sure he calls.
daniel9861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
DustyA
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 96
Re: $1/$2 - Line Check/River spot

no one likes nittin it up and calling since we lose to all flushes and full houses, and we have shown so much strength in the hand that Ax is not calling a big raise?
DustyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:52 PM   #11
Jmrode67
adept
 
Jmrode67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bensalem, PA
Posts: 858
Re: $1/$2 - Line Check/River spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eihli View Post
From my experience, this flop bet/call looks a lot like a flush draw trying to give themselves a cheap price to a turn, or a weak ace trying to see where they are at.

Just because he doesn't bet or raise the turn doesn't change anything. Since the board paired he might think putting in a bet or raise would be overplaying his flush if he put you on an Ace, twopair, or a set.

The river looks like a blocking bet for the same reason, with a small Ace or a flush.

And of course there's the rare wierdly played monster or weaker hand.

But below are some ranges to give you an idea of how often he'd have each hand on each street.

Given this, trips appear most likely, but I don't think many people would call a large raise on this river with trips. Especially since so many of his trips have weak kickers. And since he's unlikely to 3bet with a flush since he's scared of a full house, I'd make a smallish raise to like 50 or 60 and fold to a shove. I think that's the best play. You get looked up by most of his trips. Since almost 30% of his range beats you, you need to get called by about half of his range that you beat for a raise to be correct.





I agree his line on flop looks very heavily like a flush draw or Ax

Regarding the turn, I would agree vs a thinking player but not this player type... It think he is going to lead flushes a ton and check raise flushes nearly the rest of the time. And his river lead of $20 just solidifies the unlikeliness he has a flush. It could be just my understanding of game flow and this player, but I just did not feel he ever has a flush by river.

I agree his range should be heavily weighted on river to Ax ... But this kids a fish and is not think of relative hand strength he is looking at absolute and he has trip A's ... I don't think he finds a fold often enough to not warrant a larger bet size.
Jmrode67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:18 AM   #12
Eihli
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,403
Re: $1/$2 - Line Check/River spot

So apparently the consensus seems to be that against this particular player, he is calling a relatively large river raise with a bare Ace. Against better/tighter/thinking players a smaller raise is better?
Eihli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:26 AM   #13
daniel9861
veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,381
Re: $1/$2 - Line Check/River spot

Against a thinking player I'm just trying to get to showdown as I don't think he'll pay off with much worse except maybe AK. But a thinking player wouldn't play the hand like this or bet 1/13 pot on the river either.
daniel9861 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive