Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Live Low-stakes NL Discussion of up to 3/5 live no-limit, pot-limit and spread-limit Texas Hold'em poker games, situations and strategies.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2017, 10:28 AM   #1
flopshove
stranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 11
1/2 JJ preflop

2/100 Spread Limit (1/2 blinds, max bet 100 + previous bet). Effective stacks are $260. Weekday afternoon.

V: 40ish y/o white guy. TAG reg. Opens frequently from late position and plays aggressively post flop. I have overheard him talk about "massive" pots he's been involved in playing 2/5 at other casinos.

H: 30ish y/o white guy. Just moved to the table from broken game. If V remembers me, he should see me as fairly tight.

H is dealt red JJ in SB.

V opens to $12 from UTG+1. Two players call. H makes it $42 (sizing?). V tanks and makes it $112. Folds around to H. The pot is now $180 and H has $218 behind. Fold, call, or raise?
flopshove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
Petrucci
adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,051
Re: 1/2 JJ preflop

3 bet sizing seems good- if villain havent been very active i also flat JJ a portion of the time when he opens UTG to avoid having to 3 bet/fold (like we have to in this hand), and to keep the weaker parts of his range in the hand.

Facing the 4 bet i think we have relatively easy fold. 1/2 villains doesent 4 bet light like ever, so his range have us smoked here.
Petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #3
chrisventresca83
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 42
Re: 1/2 JJ preflop

I think a flat call is appropriate. Its probably a coin flip

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
chrisventresca83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #4
Petrucci
adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,051
Re: 1/2 JJ preflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisventresca83 View Post
I think a flat call is appropriate. Its probably a coin flip

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk


1) What do you think villains UTG open raise, and then 4 betting pre to $112 range is?

2) What are we doing when we flop an overpair on all the low boards and the vast majority of the time we will be facing a pot committing C bet from villain?
Petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #5
chrisventresca83
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 42
Re: 1/2 JJ preflop

Its $72 more to see a flop. No reason to raise with jacks. I personally hate pocket JJ. V probably has AK AQ in that range.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
chrisventresca83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:09 AM   #6
Petrucci
adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,051
Re: 1/2 JJ preflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisventresca83 View Post
Its $72 more to see a flop. No reason to raise with jacks. I personally hate pocket JJ. V probably has AK AQ in that range.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
When was the last time you saw a TAG reg 1/2 player 4 bet to $112 preflop with AQ?

AK is in his range. Maybe. I think his range is QQ/KK/AA and maybe AK, so this is an easy fold.

Also, you didnt answer question number 2.
Petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #7
CWsports
old hand
 
CWsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,556
Re: 1/2 JJ preflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrucci View Post
3 bet sizing seems good- if villain havent been very active i also flat JJ a portion of the time when he opens UTG to avoid having to 3 bet/fold (like we have to in this hand), and to keep the weaker parts of his range in the hand.

Facing the 4 bet i think we have relatively easy fold. 1/2 villains doesent 4 bet light like ever, so his range have us smoked here.
+1
CWsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #8
flopshove
stranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 11
Re: 1/2 JJ preflop

Should we just be flatting the $12 and taking a flop 4 (maybe 5) ways and hope to make a huge hand or get to a cheap showdown?
flopshove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #9
3K_TOM17
journeyman
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 341
Re: 1/2 JJ preflop

You say villain is a TAG, if you 3 bet here, he's going to put you exactly in range like overpairs given your stack is less than 200bb, in this scenario once u 3b yourself you kinda have to go with it through the 4bet. He's playing perfect against your range.

That's why I don't advocate 3 betting a lot with overpair, especially with not deep stack size like yours. I'll choose to 3bet ATss here, QQ+, TT, JJ will be a mandatory flat here, cause villian is not a aggro fish/maniac

Sent from my ASUS_Z00VD using Tapatalk
3K_TOM17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:36 PM   #10
PFunkaliscious
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,621
Re: 1/2 JJ preflop

never folding. just call.

you still have a good chance of outplaying on the flop. But, if you either try to bluff on an ace flop, or you make a good laydown on an AKQ flop, never folding to all undercards.
PFunkaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #11
PFunkaliscious
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,621
Re: 1/2 JJ preflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrucci View Post
1) What do you think villains UTG open raise, and then 4 betting pre to $112 range is?

2) What are we doing when we flop an overpair on all the low boards and the vast majority of the time we will be facing a pot committing C bet from villain?
re-read the OP. if you have 2/5 player who is used to playing a big 2/5 game, he is going to splash around in a 1/2 spread limit game.
PFunkaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:14 PM   #12
Petrucci
adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,051
Re: 1/2 JJ preflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFunkaliscious View Post
re-read the OP. if you have 2/5 player who is used to playing a big 2/5 game, he is going to splash around in a 1/2 spread limit game.
Answer my questions instead of writing nonsense about me not reading the OP.
Petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:26 PM   #13
Amanaplan
acanalpanamA
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Getting There
Posts: 2,517
Re: 1/2 JJ preflop

You can flat JJ facing an EP open and calls. 3b is ok, but it isn't a clear value boost in this spot. AP fold.
Amanaplan is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online