Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Live Low-stakes NL Discussion of up to 3/5 live no-limit, pot-limit and spread-limit Texas Hold'em poker games, situations and strategies.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018, 01:04 PM   #1
thin_slicing
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: YangGang2020
Posts: 556
Spade 1/2 AA - Standard spot?

1/2 at Hollywood Casino in St. Charles MO. Hero has only been in the game for a couple orbits. Raised one time during the first orbit and has folded every other hand.

V1: ($150) Has been limping 30-40% of hands. Only seen one showdown where he had KQo on a K high board and took it down. He limped for UTG+1 on that hand.

Hero: ($300) I haven't been playing much live poker but about half of the table probably recognizes me. People see me from a range of nitty to a LAG depending on what table I'm playing at and the types of cards I'm getting.

I don't recognize this villain.

Villian is in MP and limps in. Hero wakes up to A A and raises to $10 dollars. BB call and V1 calls.

Pot before rake ($31)

J 5 2

Check to Hero who make is $17. BB folds, V1 calls.

Turn: ($65) J

V1 checks, Hero checks

River ($65) 7

V1 Leads for $35

Hero?
thin_slicing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
100thMeridian
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 77
Re: 1/2 AA - Standard spot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin_slicing View Post
1/2 at Hollywood Casino in St. Charles MO. Hero has only been in the game for a couple orbits. Raised one time during the first orbit and has folded every other hand.



V1: ($150) Has been limping 30-40% of hands. Only seen one showdown where he had KQo on a K high board and took it down. He limped for UTG+1 on that hand.



Hero: ($300) I haven't been playing much live poker but about half of the table probably recognizes me. People see me from a range of nitty to a LAG depending on what table I'm playing at and the types of cards I'm getting.



I don't recognize this villain.



Villian is in MP and limps in. Hero wakes up to A A and raises to $10 dollars. BB call and V1 calls.



Pot before rake ($31)



J 5 2



Check to Hero who make is $17. BB folds, V1 calls.



Turn: ($65) J



V1 checks, Hero checks



River ($65) 7



V1 Leads for $35



Hero?


Based on limited info on V, Standard call here (unless V1 is OMC). You checked the turn, so V might be taking a stab at the pot. Maybe he got the J or backdoor flush, but him playing 30-40% of the hands PF, Iíll call $35 for a $100 pot. Seems like he is enticing a call, but he may have hit a 7 on the river and think that is good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100thMeridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #3
Minatorr
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 5,226
Re: 1/2 AA - Standard spot?

It’s a fairly close decision imo. Bluff catching wise this is one of the worst hands you could call with. You block all the wheel aces that had a gs otf + overcard and you dont have a diamond. There is no FD otf so for you to win here he has to have a pair turned into a bluff ir a hand like double overs + bdfd that didnt raise pre and is now bluffing. I’d probably fold but dont hate a call
Minatorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
SABR42
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SABR42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: printing money
Posts: 21,952
Re: 1/2 AA - Standard spot?

Shrug/call.
SABR42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:00 PM   #5
thin_slicing
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: YangGang2020
Posts: 556
Re: 1/2 AA - Standard spot?

I should of probably posted this hand in the low stress section, I ended up folding and villain never showed.

In the past this is a spot I would auto pilot call 100% of the time.

As passive as he was he had every J in that spot but also smaller PP's.

If he had a smaller PP that wasn't a set I don't think he would bet in that spot and would check call.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still not sure if I made the right call or not but I'm hoping it's a close spot and I didn't make a big mistake.
thin_slicing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:26 PM   #6
Nepeeme2008
veteran
 
Nepeeme2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: In position
Posts: 2,837
Re: 1/2 AA - Standard spot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin_slicing View Post
I should of probably posted this hand in the low stress section, I ended up folding and villain never showed.

In the past this is a spot I would auto pilot call 100% of the time.

As passive as he was he had every J in that spot but also smaller PP's.

If he had a smaller PP that wasn't a set I don't think he would bet in that spot and would check call.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still not sure if I made the right call or not but I'm hoping it's a close spot and I didn't make a big mistake.
I previously said, because I'm currently on a losing streak, and because I'm not the most sophisticated player, I wouldn't post any strat advice.
Well, the opinion of this fish is, that was a terrible fold.
If you're not willing to use that hand as a possible bluff catcher, if you're going to fold Aces to a 35 dollar river bet, well, what else can I say?
Nepeeme2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:44 PM   #7
thin_slicing
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: YangGang2020
Posts: 556
Re: 1/2 AA - Standard spot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepeeme2008 View Post
I previously said, because I'm currently on a losing streak, and because I'm not the most sophisticated player, I wouldn't post any strat advice.
Well, the opinion of this fish is, that was a terrible fold.
If you're not willing to use that hand as a possible bluff catcher, if you're going to fold Aces to a 35 dollar river bet, well, what else can I say?
What hands do you think he is bluffing with here?
thin_slicing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:57 PM   #8
aisrael01
grinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 415
Re: 1/2 AA - Standard spot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin_slicing View Post
What hands do you think he is bluffing with here?

It's not that he's necessarily bluffing, but that he could be making a blocking bet with a hand like 88-TT, he could show up with a stubborn A7o or 4x. I think we're getting too good of a price to fold in this spot. If we had a read that Villain is super tight then maybe we could fold. This is a good board for AA -- you should be happy to get two streets of value.
aisrael01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:26 AM   #9
paratrooper99
veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Paratrooper1999 on Twitch
Posts: 2,031
Re: 1/2 AA - Standard spot?

As played, Hero must to call. Your hand is under-represented and Villain will be value cutting any 2 pair holding. What is the logic to checking the turn?
paratrooper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:30 AM   #10
monikrazy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
monikrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 26,712
Re: 1/2 AA - Standard spot?

This is an automatic call, not close at all.
monikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:58 AM   #11
WereBeer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9,600
Re: 1/2 AA - Standard spot?

Yeah I call here.
WereBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #12
DrChesspain
Pooh-Bah
 
DrChesspain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,998
Re: 1/2 AA - Standard spot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisrael01 View Post
It's not that he's necessarily bluffing, but that he could be making a blocking bet with a hand like 88-TT, he could show up with a stubborn A7o or 4x. I think we're getting too good of a price to fold in this spot. If we had a read that Villain is super tight then maybe we could fold. This is a good board for AA -- you should be happy to get two streets of value.
+1
DrChesspain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:42 AM   #13
Nepeeme2008
veteran
 
Nepeeme2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: In position
Posts: 2,837
Re: 1/2 AA - Standard spot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin_slicing View Post
What hands do you think he is bluffing with here?
Ok, your preflop raise was fine. I would have probably made it 12 with one Limper, but original limper calling 12 also, is to be expected.
You have to be aware that the raise really doesn't define his hand much.
The only purpose it serves is to put money in the pot because we're holding a premium and mainly to discourage a multi way pot.
In other words, if he limped with a hand like JT, he's going to call a 10 or 12 raise also.
Yeah, the way the hand played out, he could very easily have trip jacks
Or a flush. Sometimes when I'm sitting at the table, this may sound stupid, but I get a vibe, a feel of the villains energy if he's strong or weak with those type of river bets. I'm not sitting at table though, you are.
So, as many other have said, you under repped your hand, and we can also beat many of his other possible holdings. Like 7 5 or as mentioned, numerous pocket pairs. Plus, as mentioned already, we're getting too good a price. Call . I would show my hand, even if it's a loser, but the way you played it rather passively, I'm not sure if that's such a great idea.
Nepeeme2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:43 AM   #14
colt45ss
adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 911
Re: 1/2 AA - Standard spot?

flop bet too small
I call river
colt45ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:32 AM   #15
thin_slicing
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: YangGang2020
Posts: 556
Re: 1/2 AA - Standard spot?

My original plan was to call a river bet.

I looked into his soul and decided to fold.

I'm a donk lol.
thin_slicing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #16
thin_slicing
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: YangGang2020
Posts: 556
Re: 1/2 AA - Standard spot?

As passive as he played with top pair with KQo earlier I didn't see this villain betting anything other than trips, I also didn't think he was capable of bluffing. (Obviously everyone is capable, just don't see this villain doing it with a high enough frequency)

I was going into call any river bet or even bet river if it's checked to me mode and something about the size of his bet (In my experience a blocking bet would of been smaller in this spot) and the fact I couldn't think of any hands he would call the flop with that he would decide to lead river with that wasn't trips or better, I decided to fold.

I do agree that my hand is under repped and it should be a call. I don't think I've ever folded in a spot like this in my life.

I only need to win here 35% of the time but I remember thinking I would only be good here 15-20% of the time.
thin_slicing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #17
Nepeeme2008
veteran
 
Nepeeme2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: In position
Posts: 2,837
Re: 1/2 AA - Standard spot?

Yeah, nobody said you're a bad player. It's fine to go with your gut sometimes.
You obviously think about the game in the right way.
I'm sure you'll be just fine.
Nepeeme2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:26 PM   #18
thin_slicing
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: YangGang2020
Posts: 556
Re: 1/2 AA - Standard spot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepeeme2008 View Post
Yeah, nobody said you're a bad player. It's fine to go with your gut sometimes.
You obviously think about the game in the right way.
I'm sure you'll be just fine.
I wasn't saying anyone was calling me a bad player. I was laughing at myself because this is a spot I should call.
thin_slicing is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive