Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
September to remember? LC/NC Thread September to remember? LC/NC Thread

09-08-2013 , 07:01 PM
SFO isn't a horrible second choice. If you had to spend a lot extra to fly into SJC and were already planning on renting a car... It also depends on when you're coming in. Rush hour in the Bay isn't the worst in the world, but it can be a challenge.
09-08-2013 , 07:16 PM
Doug is right about the convenience/connections being the determining factors. If you can fly direct to San Jose, I'd do that. If SJC is a one-hop, but SFO is direct, I'd do SFO.
09-08-2013 , 07:42 PM
Cool. I'll book a ticket to SJC. I flew into there a few weeks ago when I played at Bay.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using 2+2 Forums
09-08-2013 , 10:26 PM
Bay 40. I open 66 in the LJ, wild CO 3's, fishy button calls, BB calls, I cap (whatever). 4 of us.

AJ6 with a spade draw.

I b/3, CO r/4, button calls all bets. BB folds at some point

6 of spades

I bet. Button figured it out after calling 2 cold twice. CO doesn't figure it out until I 7 bet the turn.

I do believe I could have check folded a river A
09-08-2013 , 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerin Hank
6 of spades

I bet. Button figured it out after calling 2 cold twice. CO doesn't figure it out until I 7 bet the turn.
You're buying the first round on Wednesday.

Nice hand.

I was out all day and forgot to record the Niners game. I play so bad.
09-09-2013 , 12:02 AM
Nice Hank!

Here is how not to play pocket queens:
6/12, guy 2 to my left is playing tons of hands, cold calling like it's his job. A couple limpers, I raise AJs, cold-calling guy is on the button and...cold calls. Flop A84r, checks to me I bet, CC man calls, others call. Turn Jx checks to me I bet, CC man raises, people fold, I 3bet, he calls, river something I bet he calls and announces "I don't have an ace."
09-09-2013 , 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke Ferrari
Nice Hank!

Here is how not to play pocket queens:
6/12, guy 2 to my left is playing tons of hands, cold calling like it's his job. A couple limpers, I raise AJs, cold-calling guy is on the button and...cold calls. Flop A84r, checks to me I bet, CC man calls, others call. Turn Jx checks to me I bet, CC man raises, people fold, I 3bet, he calls, river something I bet he calls and announces "I don't have an ace."
That reminds me of a hand I witnessed, played by quite the famous 20/40 fish (will remain nameless, though he's pretty hilarious).

There's a raise in a LP, and a 3-bet, and he makes tarp from the small w/ KK.

Flop is Axx-rainbow ofc, and it goes something like x/x/b/c/r/r/c/c.

Other streets are x/x/b/c/c x/x/b/c/c

Anyway, both of them have an ace, and fishy begins to steam and keeps the cards away from the dealer.
09-09-2013 , 01:39 AM
<strat>
I was waxing philosophical over a hand I played at OL $1 a few weeks ago. Essentially, it folded to me on the button w/ A4, and decent-when-not-tilted SB 3-bets, I call. Flop is like T63 or something, b/c. Turn is a 4, b/c. River is some card that isn't broadway and villain checks. I immediately bet my ubernuts and get shown AQ.

Great, I win. Except it gets me wondering, that's probably how I'd play AQ against most opponents. In fact, that's how I'd play a lot of ace-highs (I actually bluffed the A-high ball earlier tonight, shrug).

It clearly demonstrates a need to find some way to protect these hands from being face-owned OTR, without resorting to massive FPS and missed value. Thus far, I'm still trying to figure it out.
</strat>
09-09-2013 , 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pid Koker
What's the best airport to fly into for the first week of November get-together? SJC?
You might be able to get cheap directs into OAK on Southwest or Alaska.
09-09-2013 , 09:22 AM
If you're getting a car you can probably get a great price on Virgin to SFO
09-09-2013 , 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pid Koker
What's the best airport to fly into for the first week of November get-together? SJC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo doc
Doug is right about the convenience/connections being the determining factors. If you can fly direct to San Jose, I'd do that. If SJC is a one-hop, but SFO is direct, I'd do SFO.
This is pretty much it. It would be helpful to know where people are flying from, though.

Note that SJC - an airport that was straight out of the 1960s until a few of years ago, when they rebuilt it just as the tech market collapsed - doesn't have a lot of flights other than Southwest and Alaska Airlines. In fact, while I live near SJC, I do most of my flying out of SFO simply because of the vastly greater flight availability.
09-09-2013 , 10:50 AM
Part of the conditions of my hall pass were getting back home on Sunday ASAP. The only way to do that was flying SFO. It was also $40 cheaper to do so but at that point, I'd have probably just paid a little extra if the timing were equal. I'm getting in Friday after lunch. Are people arriving Friday just heading to the casino?
09-09-2013 , 01:01 PM
Current status.

09-09-2013 , 01:36 PM
Flights are basically the same price SEA --> Bay area airports right now, so I'll probably just fly into San Jose. I'm going to get there Thursday night, so I'm up for playing Friday and/or lunch if people are going to be around.
09-09-2013 , 02:30 PM
Here is how Setember (no P) starts for me:

Playing the weekly 15-30 game. First hour or so. CO is a NL player who sat down at what he thought was a 15-30 NLHE game. But decided to stick around and play the min-bet variety. Especially since he won a few hands early.

PRE: Three limpers, CO raises, BTN folds, hero calls 33 in the SB, BB calls, limpers call.

FLOP [6 players, 12 sb]: K73r. Hero donks his baby set, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG3 raises, CO calls, Hero 3-bets, UTG call, UTG folds, CO calls.

TURN [3 players, 11.5 bb]: T, putting two on the board. Hero bets, UTG calls, CO calls.

RIVER [3 players, 14.5 bb]: 8 Hero bets, UTG calls, CO tanks for 10 a few minutes. Hero is just looking at the pot. Not even looking at CO. If you think long, you think wrong, right? This is a bad call. Somebody who just cannot get away from the pot. CO pushes chips into the pot. Hero announces "baby set". Dealer informs Hero that CO RAISED! Hero calls raise because her doesn't fold sets as a matter of policy. UTG mucks since his AK (never raised!) cannot beat my set. CO shows the expertly played AJ. CO calls two cold on the flop with Ace High/BDFD and takes a third to the face for good measure. Then this seeing eye-dog gets him home.

Marcellus Wallace with a box of donuts.

It's going to be a fun month.........
09-09-2013 , 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by callipygian
We all know a maniac makes mistakes. What we're less confident of is whether we can capitalize. Do we really know Villain's range well enough to 3-bet him correctly? Or do we under/over adjust and make as many mistakes of our own?
It also depends upon how the tables responds to:

1. Maniac's play (especially PF)

2. Your response to Maniac.


If Hero is sitting to left of maniac(s) and is 3/4-betting them relentlessly, it won't be nearly as effective if the rest of the table still wants to see flops with 76o, Q2s, etc because your RIO isolating hands will get punished. You still gotta try to isolate. But it can be frustrating.

If the table passively embraces the big pots, the best thing you can do, IMO, is move across the table from the maniacs and use them to juice pots post-flop when you've got an edge. Keeping the same seat and continually trying to isolate when the table won't fold is tilting........ windmills.
09-09-2013 , 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_locke
I think the more plausible explanation is that the people that would really punish their mistakes are playing bigger, so the preflop mistakes don't cost nearly as much as they would elsewhere. For example, you open 56s utg and get cold called in 4 spots; not that bad vs you open 56s utg get 3 bet and have to play heads up vs a very strong range vs guy that plays really good.
But the Maniac cannot get punished by the expert if the expert cannot isolate because the players behind won't fold. Because the players behind see a big pot brewing and "want to see a flop". Not realizing that the implied odds of many of their hands are destroyed PF.

In the bigger games, the expert can isolate because the rest of the table will fold normally fold to the first 3-better, correct? That's the exception to SSHE. You cannot isolate if they won't fold. And if the expert does not pick up good mulit-way hands with which to punish the maniac, then the expert is at risk too. AJo is a good isolating hand. Not so much if you're 6-handed for 3-bets.
09-09-2013 , 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by callipygian
There's a hilarious NVG thread about it. Apparently he open-limped Q2o UTG in a 5-handed game.
Sarah Palin told me that he obvoiously has hand selection issues......
09-09-2013 , 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneElse'sFool
Have any of you played Pineapple OFC using the fantasy land bonus structure where you get a 13 card FL for QQ in front, 14 cards for KK and 15 cards for AA? If so, what are the rules when you stay in FL on a 14 or 15 card hand... do you get 14 or 15 cards again on the second FL hand? Brag: I was fortunate enough to be on the right side of this quandary over the weekend. Beat: Much like Cally, I had turned down the offer to play one order of magnitude higher.
The way we've been playing in our weekly pineapple home game is that the return is always for 13 cards. I'm not sure what the "official" rules are.

It helps to lessen the pain for the other players. I usually get into FL by some ridiculous final draw. Announcing that I'm going back gets groans from my fellow players. The difference between having 13 and 15 cards can be huge, and I'm pretty sure that our friendly home game would become very uncomfortable if we got to go back w 15 cards. As is, Jon Locke usually looks like he's going to bust a gasket when I draw a one outer and proceed to parlay it into a 200 pt swing after returning once or twice.
09-09-2013 , 05:06 PM
Also i think last time we played no returning at all once we kicked up the stakes and that worked out pretty well.
09-09-2013 , 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump86
But the Maniac cannot get punished by the expert if the expert cannot isolate because the players behind won't fold. Because the players behind see a big pot brewing and "want to see a flop". Not realizing that the implied odds of many of their hands are destroyed PF.

In the bigger games, the expert can isolate because the rest of the table will fold normally fold to the first 3-better, correct? That's the exception to SSHE. You cannot isolate if they won't fold. And if the expert does not pick up good mulit-way hands with which to punish the maniac, then the expert is at risk too. AJo is a good isolating hand. Not so much if you're 6-handed for 3-bets.
Example (this was pretty common fore to see first few times I played at commerce). I open utg, maniac/lagpro/whoever 3 bets me with like 98s or A2s or 44. These maniacs hypothetically make up their preflop leaks by playing well postflop....if we play better then them postflop and don't have their pre flop leaks, we should do well.

Our position doesn't matter when our range is going to be that much stronger.
09-09-2013 , 05:30 PM
How am I supposed to set some awful gutshot hand, assuming I'm first to act?

2 3 5 6 K

Does this work?

2 3
5 6
K
09-09-2013 , 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pid Koker
How am I supposed to set some awful gutshot hand, assuming I'm first to act?

2 3 5 6 K

Does this work?

2 3
5 6
K
2356/K and its not close
09-09-2013 , 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy72
The way we've been playing in our weekly pineapple home game is that the return is always for 13 cards. I'm not sure what the "official" rules are.

It helps to lessen the pain for the other players. I usually get into FL by some ridiculous final draw. Announcing that I'm going back gets groans from my fellow players. The difference between having 13 and 15 cards can be huge, and I'm pretty sure that our friendly home game would become very uncomfortable if we got to go back w 15 cards. As is, Jon Locke usually looks like he's going to bust a gasket when I draw a one outer and proceed to parlay it into a 200 pt swing after returning once or twice.
Thanks! We had been opting to keep the same number of cards for return trips. Coelacanth and I were playing more last night and we ended by playing a few hands of heads-up 15 card Chinese with OFC royalties. We were both shocked by how easy it still is to wake-up with no flushes and 4 pairs even with 15 cards.

(BTW, I'm the guy you met with him at Commerce back in June.)
09-10-2013 , 10:36 AM
Why are the chargers the chargers?!

      
m