Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Micro-Small Stakes Limit Discussions about micro-small stakes Texas Hold'em (all stakes up to around 15/30)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2019, 09:11 PM   #726
reaper6788
Pooh-Bah
 
reaper6788's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: bring online back to US!
Posts: 3,772
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkypete View Post
Kill games are just great. The fish play extra bad and most otherwise reasonable regs also play extra bad. Very few adjust even close to correctly.
Are there any good kill game posts around?

All I remember is tighten up in front of the killer because people will defend the kill to the death.
reaper6788 is offline  
Old 07-28-2019, 06:02 AM   #727
checkraisdraw
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 972
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

What I don't like about kill pots is that if you run bad in them, you will probably be buried for the day with no chance to get it back except another kill.
checkraisdraw is offline  
Old 07-28-2019, 09:01 AM   #728
stinkypete
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
stinkypete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: somewhere
Posts: 15,713
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkraisdraw View Post
What I don't like about kill pots is that if you run bad in them, you will probably be buried for the day with no chance to get it back except another kill.
That's one of the things I really really like about kill pots.

Why any winning player would dislike something that makes people play bad and then tilt on top of that is beyond me.
stinkypete is offline  
Old 07-28-2019, 09:02 AM   #729
stinkypete
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
stinkypete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: somewhere
Posts: 15,713
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

Not only that, the tilters are effectively playing higher stakes and posting more blind money than you. It's fantastic. Every game should have a kill.
stinkypete is offline  
Old 07-28-2019, 09:50 AM   #730
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 30,130
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkraisdraw View Post
What I don't like about kill pots is that if you run bad in them, you will probably be buried for the day with no chance to get it back except another kill.
Just wait for the day you run real good in a kill game. You'll change your mind about this (or at least you ought to).
Aaron W. is offline  
Old 07-28-2019, 11:36 AM   #731
DeathDonkey
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DeathDonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 12,572
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkypete View Post
That's one of the things I really really like about kill pots.

Why any winning player would dislike something that makes people play bad and then tilt on top of that is beyond me.


Agree of course, but I would say that a half kill is likely better than a full kill for generating action and not making players quit and not come back. I’ve played in a game where the kill was to pot limit and I think it’s quite bad for the game.
DeathDonkey is offline  
Old 07-28-2019, 11:55 AM   #732
stinkypete
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
stinkypete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: somewhere
Posts: 15,713
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathDonkey View Post
Agree of course, but I would say that a half kill is likely better than a full kill for generating action and not making players quit and not come back. I’ve played in a game where the kill was to pot limit and I think it’s quite bad for the game.
I've never actually played full kill but my intuition is that I agree. Pot limit kills sound like an action killer without very special players.
stinkypete is offline  
Old 07-28-2019, 12:11 PM   #733
reaper6788
Pooh-Bah
 
reaper6788's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: bring online back to US!
Posts: 3,772
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

Who would think forcing limit fish to play pot limit for the kill pot would be good for the game? They are there because they like to play limit.

And to a previous comment about running hot in kill, the only time I've ever had to color up was in a kill game and I did it because I was having trouble reaching my cards. It was an amazing night.
reaper6788 is offline  
Old 07-28-2019, 02:50 PM   #734
checkraisdraw
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 972
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

I mean how many times can I get aces kings and queens in a kill pot and lose before I am allowed to think that I don’t like them.

I think kill games are fine, but I like playing in games without the kill. Trust me that there is more than enough dead money in the games that I play. I will acknowledge that the best 20/40 game in LA is at the Bike and it plays with a half kill that people play BAD when it’s on.
checkraisdraw is offline  
Old 07-30-2019, 11:16 AM   #735
DougL
Too helpful for this post
 
DougL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 21,789
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkraisdraw View Post
I mean how many times can I get aces kings and queens in a kill pot and lose before I am allowed to think that I don’t like them.
Mindless hands which were big money favorites didn't pay off in a small sample? Game is rigged. Time to quit?



Come to Colorado and pay $200 to see a flop any time the kill is on. Win $3000 or lose $3000, people are nice to the dealers. Mountains look nice. Hike a 14er while you're here.
Quote:
Not only that, the tilters are effectively playing higher stakes and posting more blind money than you. It's fantastic. Every game should have a kill.
This.



And the fact that trying to play semi-well nits also over-adjust.
DougL is offline  
Old 07-30-2019, 05:24 PM   #736
Howard Beale
Formerly red
 
Howard Beale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Doing what my dog wants
Posts: 22,028
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

8 months to go. 8 months. And damn you, pope, for mentioning that Laughlin is only 3+ hours away. Damn you.
Howard Beale is offline  
Old 07-30-2019, 10:23 PM   #737
checkraisdraw
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 972
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

@DougL these games are definitely +ev but they also increase the seings. Maybe that’s not something that I necessarily want to do.
checkraisdraw is offline  
Old 07-31-2019, 01:03 PM   #738
DougL
Too helpful for this post
 
DougL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 21,789
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkraisdraw View Post
@DougL these games are definitely +ev but they also increase the seings. Maybe that’s not something that I necessarily want to do.
If the game makes you miserable, it is bad for you right now. Other people might see the high variance as an opportunity because a) they feel like they don't tilt and b) they feel like other people are one or two beats away from going off.
DougL is offline  
Old 07-31-2019, 01:42 PM   #739
NittyOldMan1
grinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 541
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkraisdraw View Post
@DougL these games are definitely +ev but they also increase the seings. Maybe that’s not something that I necessarily want to do.
my guess is you dont play enough hands

oddly enough i think playing more hands well in these types of games decrease the swings, not vice versa, because you push more edges. playing more hands also tends to ward off tilt imo as it keeps you mentally "in" the game and less prone to thinking you "deserve" to win for playing only premiums.

in a loose game unless i have a good reason not to (like having complete trash like 73 offsuit or a mediocre hand in early position e.g. KTo utg) i like playing lots of hands (probably 25% vpip at least), and i usually like raising preflop with them.
NittyOldMan1 is offline  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:30 AM   #740
Captain R
Wot
 
Captain R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Thru the flowers
Posts: 7,566
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

They know how to play Texas Hold'em in Houston. 3 Aces is a very good hand!
Captain R is offline  
Old 08-01-2019, 01:43 PM   #741
holmfries
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canterbury
Posts: 6,024
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain R View Post
They know how to play Texas Hold'em in Houston. 3 Aces is a very good hand!
I feel like we need more backstory here.
holmfries is offline  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #742
DougL
Too helpful for this post
 
DougL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 21,789
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

Also, how much did he win?
DougL is offline  
Old 08-01-2019, 08:56 PM   #743
Captain R
Wot
 
Captain R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Thru the flowers
Posts: 7,566
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmfries View Post
I feel like we need more backstory here.
Zack Greinke traded to the Houston Astros. Already got Justin Verlander and Gerritt Cole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougL View Post
Also, how much did he win?
Probably a World Series ring.
Captain R is offline  
Old 08-03-2019, 02:15 PM   #744
offTopic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
offTopic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Making stupid side bets
Posts: 18,945
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

“He always has ace-king...” Seems I’ve a bit of a marketing department at my local. These types of things are said after the fact so as not to be violations of OPTAH, but I do feel like there is a group of people who are trying to hurt my action. Thoughts on how to combat this? Simply look for good spots to mix it up with “not ace-king”? Just stay the course?
offTopic is offline  
Old 08-03-2019, 02:47 PM   #745
reaper6788
Pooh-Bah
 
reaper6788's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: bring online back to US!
Posts: 3,772
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by offTopic View Post
“He always has ace-king...” Seems I’ve a bit of a marketing department at my local. These types of things are said after the fact so as not to be violations of OPTAH, but I do feel like there is a group of people who are trying to hurt my action. Thoughts on how to combat this? Simply look for good spots to mix it up with “not ace-king”? Just stay the course?
If it hurts your action by people getting too foldy then def mix it up a bit as you'll have more fold equity. But I'd wait for clearer reads that people are changing their play with you before just tilting towards lag.
reaper6788 is offline  
Old 08-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #746
maka2184
adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,009
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougL View Post
Mindless hands which were big money favorites didn't pay off in a small sample? Game is rigged. Time to quit?



Come to Colorado and pay $200 to see a flop any time the kill is on. Win $3000 or lose $3000, people are nice to the dealers. Mountains look nice. Hike a 14er while you're here.
This.



And the fact that trying to play semi-well nits also over-adjust.
DougL, would you say Colprado LHE games are best live games in USA in a casino that's not mix?

Colorado is probably my favorite state in USA for hiking, food, and great people. Hopefully can travel there in future to play LHE although 50/100 kill games seems too high for me even if half kill.
maka2184 is offline  
Old 08-03-2019, 10:18 PM   #747
Munga30
veteran
 
Munga30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sacking up and saying thank you.
Posts: 2,465
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by offTopic View Post
“He always has ace-king...” Seems I’ve a bit of a marketing department at my local. These types of things are said after the fact so as not to be violations of OPTAH, but I do feel like there is a group of people who are trying to hurt my action. Thoughts on how to combat this? Simply look for good spots to mix it up with “not ace-king”? Just stay the course?
Iirc, you're playing a high rake game. So, likely no. Without knowing your of standards, however, it's hard to make suggestions. Mostly, it means you're doing a lot right. Continue to value bet them relentlessly and kill them with kindness.
Munga30 is online now  
Old 08-03-2019, 11:18 PM   #748
Bob148
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bob148's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: scattar branez at work
Posts: 11,194
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

Being the guy that always has ak is better than being the guy that always has TT.
Bob148 is offline  
Old 08-03-2019, 11:44 PM   #749
that_pope
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
that_pope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Not At Casino AZ
Posts: 31,249
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

I'd rather be the guy who they have no ****ing clue what I have because literally every combo of cards is possible.
that_pope is offline  
Old 08-04-2019, 01:44 AM   #750
Captain R
Wot
 
Captain R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Thru the flowers
Posts: 7,566
Re: 2019 NC/LC THREAD - No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by offTopic View Post
“He always has ace-king...” Seems I’ve a bit of a marketing department at my local. These types of things are said after the fact so as not to be violations of OPTAH, but I do feel like there is a group of people who are trying to hurt my action. Thoughts on how to combat this? Simply look for good spots to mix it up with “not ace-king”? Just stay the course?
Raise 87s-KQs after 4 people limp to you on the button.
Captain R is offline  

Closed Thread
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive