Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Micro-Small Stakes Limit Discussions about micro-small stakes Texas Hold'em (all stakes up to around 15/30)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2017, 11:59 PM   #1501
Captain R
Wot
 
Captain R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Thru the flowers
Posts: 7,542
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by callipygian View Post
Why?

What valuable discussion is it displacing or replacing or drowning out?

If anything, the posts should be put into a different thread and sent to a NL strategy forum.
Obviously you can't actually lock the LC thread, although I think (temporarily) doing so rather than let two guys who clearly have animosity towards each other use it as their personal DM contest would be an improvement.

That said, the last 30 posts or whatever should be put in a NL thread for sure.
Captain R is offline  
Old 09-23-2017, 12:31 AM   #1502
MacauBound
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,675
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

Holy ****, that was a long exchange that provided some entertainment at times. I'm glad I was able to read it all at once, instead of day-by-day.

I think when one person sees that they can get a rise out of someone quite easily and then push for that result, it's kinda mean.

Maybe I'm just an internet wimp, due to missing the whole facebook, IG, snapchat, twitter boat (my internet didn't work for a few years), but I always try to post as if the person I'm internetting with is standing in front of me.

2p2 is my only social media and I only came here once I got my internet back in order to hopefully 1) learn more poker = make money 2) network = make money. I never gave any thought to trying to make friends, although that has been an unintended consequence and something I don't regret. So maybe all the social media stuff makes it easier to be rude and disrespectful and because I don't social media, it's made me an internet wimp. I will still only post/chat what I would say if the person was in front of me having a conversation and maybe that's a good way to behave online. Or maybe I'm wrong, Idk.

Last edited by MacauBound; 09-23-2017 at 12:53 AM.
MacauBound is offline  
Old 09-23-2017, 01:41 AM   #1503
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 28,554
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain R View Post
Obviously you can't actually lock the LC thread, although I think (temporarily) doing so rather than let two guys who clearly have animosity towards each other use it as their personal DM contest would be an improvement.

That said, the last 30 posts or whatever should be put in a NL thread for sure.
Better to put someone in time-out.
pig4bill is offline  
Old 09-23-2017, 09:14 AM   #1504
Bob148
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bob148's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: takin it to the streets
Posts: 10,368
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

I have not yet begun to animosity!!

Oh good morning.

Quote:
I think when one person sees that they can get a rise out of someone quite easily and then push for that result, it's kinda mean.
Maybe it's different for people from different parts of the world. I was born and raised in Massachusetts where you're deemed a pussy if you take **** from someone without giving it back. Maybe that makes me look bad in the eyes of those not from around here? Oh well. Life goes on.

For example, my childhood bff and I had many fights. He was raised on hockey and violence, so naturally we tested our strengths and weaknesses against each other on a regular basis. In doing so, I developed the attitude that I have today, for better or for worse. If I feel someone's taking a shot at me, then I hit back.
Bob148 is offline  
Old 09-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #1505
callipygian
slowrolled by tpiranha!
 
callipygian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: but I don't know which
Posts: 19,889
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain R View Post
Obviously you can't actually lock the LC thread, although I think (temporarily) doing so rather than let two guys who clearly have animosity towards each other use it as their personal DM contest would be an improvement.

That said, the last 30 posts or whatever should be put in a NL thread for sure.
To be frank, I skipped over 95% of the exchange, as I skip over 95% of the fantasy football exchanges and others skip 95% of my politarding.

And yeah, if it turns from "a group of LHE friends discussing something non-LHE related" to "non-friends discussing non-LHE", excise and exile. Send it to Politics or Sports or NL. But non-friends are also going to have heated discussions about LHE so you can't make this be a conflict free forum.
callipygian is offline  
Old 09-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #1506
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 29,346
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead..money View Post
I'd love to hear your argument why shoving the 9TJ flop with 66 is better than check folding, because it's clearly not
You're welcome to analyze individual situations all day long. But this doesn't address the underlying strategic merit (or lack thereof) of the two strategies posited.

I don't claim that you can't improve on the stop-and-go by having some bail-out plans in place. But when you start doing that, you're going to have a much more difficult time analyzing the situation because now information is playing a role and that just makes everything much harder.

If villain raises A9 and wants to get it all in with bottom pair on the wettest of boards, so be it.
Aaron W. is offline  
Old 09-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #1507
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 29,346
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob148 View Post
In doing so, I developed the attitude that I have today, for better or for worse. If I feel someone's taking a shot at me, then I hit back.
You're free to hit back all you want. I can take it. But at least make something of a strategic argument in the process. If you can't, you just sound like you're flailing about wildly and have no clue what's happening.

And posts like this don't help your reputation:

https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/s...postcount=1211

I gave you the benefit of the doubt at that time. You've now lost that benefit. You can't post something like that and then also pretend like you're trying to play tough guy.
Aaron W. is offline  
Old 09-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #1508
Bob148
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bob148's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: takin it to the streets
Posts: 10,368
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

It was a sarcastic joke aimed directly at you and Rob.

Regarding shoving 66 in the spot mentioned? It's the standard play. It's not my play by any means. It's how anyone half decent at tourneys would play that spot. Therefore, I believe it's on you to prove how the stop n go is better.
Bob148 is offline  
Old 09-23-2017, 01:30 PM   #1509
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 29,346
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob148 View Post
I think the most important takeaway here is that you overvalue winning this pot and undervalue the possibility of a double up. The former will make you feel good like you accomplished your goal more often, but the latter will help you win more tourneys. That's where the money is in tourneys.
This is inaccurate. Bubble stuff matters. ICM stuff matters. Not going busto matters.

Strategically, making better hands fold matters. Without doing a detailed calculation, I would guess that if you can make your opponent fold a better hand even 15% of the time, you're making up for the relatively small equity loss of being in a flip against two overcards preflop by letting those hands out on the flop for half price. The reason to think that 66 would have an equity edge preflop is because you've got a small edge against a ton of two overcard combos.

Most of those combos miss the flop 2/3 of the time. When you win those pots, you don't double up, but you 150% up. I'm doubtful that the marginal improvement of a double-up vs a 150% up when you're short-stacked is meaningful enough to value the double-up that much more. You have a significant increase in your chip stack and you're still alive with a higher frequency.

Again, if you want to assume that your opponent will call a pot sized bet with every pair that beats yours, regardless of flop texture, so be it. So if you think villain snap-calls 88 on a QJ2 board when you call preflop and push the flop, so be it. If you think that your opponents have God-level reads and know exactly what you're pushing the flop with, so be it. But I don't think that makes for a meaningful argument.

Quote:
Also, I wouldn't be surprised if your plan is both -chipev and -$ev in the long run. It's just that simple. I don't know how else to explain it without repeating stuff I've already typed out that you already deemed "worthless."
Your lack of surprise doesn't really constitute an argument, nor does anything else you've suggested, especially as you haven't actually given any real comparison between the two strategies. Or if you have, I must have missed it.

There are two very specific strategies being compared. You haven't come down to any details that matter. Constructing arguments with something about check-folding top pair ("We would need to be quite deep in order to check fold QTo on the QJ2 flop" -- which I still fail to see any meaningful relevance for bringing up) doesn't mean anything in this scenario.
Aaron W. is offline  
Old 09-23-2017, 01:35 PM   #1510
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 29,346
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob148 View Post
It was a sarcastic joke aimed directly at you and Rob.
I'm sure that's the case.

Quote:
It's the standard play. It's not my play by any means.
Remember that time you said something like people who don't make the standard plays must obviously suck at poker? You don't gain credibility by making these types of statements.
Aaron W. is offline  
Old 09-23-2017, 08:27 PM   #1511
holmfries
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canterbury
Posts: 5,733
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

Ok can you guys take your NL argument to another thread or through PMs or something?
holmfries is offline  
Old 09-24-2017, 12:45 AM   #1512
callipygian
slowrolled by tpiranha!
 
callipygian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: but I don't know which
Posts: 19,889
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob148 View Post
I was born and raised in Massachusetts where you're deemed a pussy if you take **** from someone without giving it back. Maybe that makes me look bad in the eyes of those not from around here?
Or just immature. When you're young, someone scuffing your shoes or bumping into you seems like a BFD. Fast forward 20 years, someone thinking I'm a pussy ranks somewhere in the 1,000-1,500th top worries I have.

If two people think the other sucks at poker, it is the tradition to play HU4ROLLZ.
callipygian is offline  
Old 09-24-2017, 08:39 AM   #1513
Bob148
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bob148's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: takin it to the streets
Posts: 10,368
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by callipygian View Post
Or just immature. When you're young, someone scuffing your shoes or bumping into you seems like a BFD. Fast forward 20 years, someone thinking I'm a pussy ranks somewhere in the 1,000-1,500th top worries I have.

If two people think the other sucks at poker, it is the tradition to play HU4ROLLZ.
Compared to everyone here, I'm likely the least mature and rational. In other circles, I'm the voice of reason. It's all relative, which is fine with me.

Why do you think "Fight Club" is such a popular movie? My guess is that it's only 1/2 because women love Brad Pitt. The other 1/2? Think about it.
Bob148 is offline  
Old 09-24-2017, 09:07 AM   #1514
Kash Boyd
newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: in the moment
Posts: 22
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

I payed the fat tax recently. 2 year membership to 24h. It's odd trying to get my hourly as low as possible. Shooting for $1.50/hr for usage so roughly 19 visits a month. Less if I do more than an hour a session. Regardless, it's payed and I have no excuse now.
Kash Boyd is offline  
Old 09-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #1515
callipygian
slowrolled by tpiranha!
 
callipygian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: but I don't know which
Posts: 19,889
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

Shrug.
callipygian is offline  
Old 09-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #1516
Bob148
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bob148's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: takin it to the streets
Posts: 10,368
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

lol. hugs.

Ok I'll tell you why I think it's so popular. It's because people deeply identify with the themes presented. The monologues in particular strike a nerve with many men around my age. A generation taught to be "the bigger man" by avoiding conflict has produced a mass that never has truly known themselves.

"how much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?"
Bob148 is offline  
Old 09-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #1517
dead..money
banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 176
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

Pre fight club ed Norton has nice cookie cutter life, post fight club he blows his head off (and gets another guy killed). +1 for conflict avoidance
dead..money is offline  
Old 09-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #1518
Bob148
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bob148's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: takin it to the streets
Posts: 10,368
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

Quote:
Pre fight club ed Norton has nice cookie cutter life,
Yet he was completely miserable.

"..pray for a mid air collision."
Bob148 is offline  
Old 09-24-2017, 11:25 AM   #1519
Bob148
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bob148's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: takin it to the streets
Posts: 10,368
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

Quote:
post fight club he blows his head off (and gets another guy killed).
Nope, he blew his alter ego's head off. Bob Paulson died of his own volition. Nobody forced Bob to join fight club nor forced him to participate in the destruction of the corporate piece of art, for which he was killed.
Bob148 is offline  
Old 09-24-2017, 12:16 PM   #1520
callipygian
slowrolled by tpiranha!
 
callipygian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: but I don't know which
Posts: 19,889
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob148 View Post
lol. hugs.

Ok I'll tell you why I think it's so popular. It's because people deeply identify with the themes presented. The monologues in particular strike a nerve with many men around my age. A generation taught to be "the bigger man" by avoiding conflict has produced a mass that never has truly known themselves.

"how much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?"
Fine, I'll post what I think.

I think you're gonna end up like Aaron Hernandez if you carry that attitude through life.

I grew up in Massachusetts too. I once punched a kid who called me Ching Chong Chinaman for the better part of a recess. The principal said to my parents, "He really shouldn't punch people but the other kid had it coming, so good job." So, yeah, I know what you're talking about.

The world is changing, we don't have to establish alpha dominance on all those around us because as travel becomes easier, it's way better to find out where you fit in. It's a really big world and someone somewhere thinks you're great, so you can either fight everyone who thinks you're a pussy or find people who know you're not.

If Aaron bothers you, put him on ignore. If he's right, it's your loss. If he's wrong, good riddance. Or argue in a NL forum. You'll probably get kibitzers who are way better than either of you anyway.

Think about this: BigBadBabar is pretty hard to anger. Somehow you two have managed to do it.
callipygian is offline  
Old 09-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #1521
Bob148
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bob148's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: takin it to the streets
Posts: 10,368
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

Quote:
I think you're gonna end up like Aaron Hernandez if you carry that attitude through life.
Funny, but I haven't touched a firearm since I was a young boy and someone taught me how to shoot a rifle. Maybe you're just exaggerating for entertainment value? If so, no harm done. If you're serious, then I think you're way off the mark.

Quote:
we don't have to establish alpha dominance on all those around us
I think you misunderstood me. I don't go around picking fights to assert my dominance. In fact, I haven't been in a fight in almost 30 years. I believe in fighting for self defense, or to protect those that are unable to defend themselves.
Bob148 is offline  
Old 09-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #1522
chillrob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chillrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: under a dark cloud
Posts: 13,048
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob148 View Post
Why do you think "Fight Club" is such a popular movie? My guess is that it's only 1/2 because women love Brad Pitt. The other 1/2? Think about it.
Because men love Brad Pitt.
chillrob is online now  
Old 09-24-2017, 01:33 PM   #1523
Howard Beale
Formerly red
 
Howard Beale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Doing what my dog wants
Posts: 21,725
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

I suppose 'Ching Chong Chinaman' as an under title would be out of the question?
Howard Beale is online now  
Old 09-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #1524
chillrob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chillrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: under a dark cloud
Posts: 13,048
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

Funny, I always thought he was King Kong Korean...
chillrob is online now  
Old 09-24-2017, 01:42 PM   #1525
Howard Beale
Formerly red
 
Howard Beale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Doing what my dog wants
Posts: 21,725
Re: 2017 ustakes NC, where the steaks are wafer thin (Low Content Thread)

A kid in recess probably doesn't know the difference.
Howard Beale is online now  

Closed Thread
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online