Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Poker Software Poker-related software official support, e.g., poker trackers, solvers, equity calculators.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2018, 10:37 PM   #551
IsaacAsimov
old hand
 
IsaacAsimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,704
re: MonkerSolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssslipnssslide View Post
Anyone know where I should begin in my decision making process between renting cloud computing to run a bunch of postflop PLO sims OR purchasing someone else's premade sims?
to be clear - I already have 3 very good preflop PLO sims I purchased which are 100bb,50bb, and 25bb. they are all solved to over 3000 I/N. When I tried to run a simple postflop sim with my 32GB 4GHz computer yesterday it took like 6 hrs to just get 2 I/N. I've heard from some people that 6 I/N is a low threshold for a decent sim, but I don't really know if that is true. If that is true, then I could achieve the results I want by myself with my own home computer, but if it is not, then I'm going to rent a cloud beast to get those I/N way up there. Thanks in advance.
The official "low threshold" from the author is 10 I/N. I would say that is more on the aggressive side, so I wouldn't recommend going under that. Also make sure to reset the averages if you are calculating the average. It's more important the less longer you run a sim for, because there will be more skew from the early stages of the solve.

It really depends on exactly what you are solving for. Accuracy is not just determined by iterations, but also by settings in the solver, so that is also one thing to consider. There are quite affordable servers available for rent, that should be in most people's budget and will enable you to do a wide range of calculations. Contabo servers are the main one that come to mind in terms of value for money, especially if you use Linux, because then you don't have to pay the Windows license fee.

Here is a guide how to set up a Contabo server with Linux:

https://solveoptimized.com/2017/12/1...using-contabo/

Hetzner also has some interesting offerings for Monkersolver related solving:

https://www.hetzner.com/epyc-server

I'm not sure exactly what your setup is, but perhaps you don't know that you can increase/decrease the amount of threads Monkersolver is using from within the 'Solve' tab. Also pay attention to what background processes you have running, since they can eat up CPU resources, which will also make Monkersolver run slower.
IsaacAsimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:27 AM   #552
disident
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 431
re: MonkerSolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacAsimov View Post
The official "low threshold" from the author is 10 I/N. I would say that is more on the aggressive side, so I wouldn't recommend going under that. Also make sure to reset the averages if you are calculating the average. It's more important the less longer you run a sim for, because there will be more skew from the early stages of the solve.

It really depends on exactly what you are solving for. Accuracy is not just determined by iterations, but also by settings in the solver, so that is also one thing to consider. There are quite affordable servers available for rent, that should be in most people's budget and will enable you to do a wide range of calculations. Contabo servers are the main one that come to mind in terms of value for money, especially if you use Linux, because then you don't have to pay the Windows license fee.

Here is a guide how to set up a Contabo server with Linux:

https://solveoptimized.com/2017/12/1...using-contabo/

Hetzner also has some interesting offerings for Monkersolver related solving:

https://www.hetzner.com/epyc-server

I'm not sure exactly what your setup is, but perhaps you don't know that you can increase/decrease the amount of threads Monkersolver is using from within the 'Solve' tab. Also pay attention to what background processes you have running, since they can eat up CPU resources, which will also make Monkersolver run slower.
Does using 20x core speed mean Monker can give u NL solved solutions in real time?
disident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:50 PM   #553
HustlerLA
veteran
 
HustlerLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: @Zachpoker
Posts: 3,079
re: MonkerSolver

When I paste a large Omaha ranges from another sim into the Filter box of a new sim in hopes of hitting the Lock Range button, the Lock Range button stays grey and never becomes available.

For smaller ranges it works fine, but with ranges of anything over like 10% of total hands, it fails to work. I let it sit for a long time with no success.

I need to lock the range from one sim to the new one so I can solve a 6-way tree by isolating utg first.

Last edited by HustlerLA; 05-06-2018 at 10:06 PM.
HustlerLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #554
IsaacAsimov
old hand
 
IsaacAsimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,704
re: MonkerSolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by disident View Post
Does using 20x core speed mean Monker can give u NL solved solutions in real time?
Having 20 cores is not the same as having 1 core, but with 20 times the speed. 1 core with 20 times the speed would be much faster at solving than 20 times that 1 core. There are diminishing returns when scaling by cores.
That being said, it is reasonable to assume that some situations on later streets could be solved in real time with a powerful enough server.
IsaacAsimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #555
disident
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 431
re: MonkerSolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacAsimov View Post
Having 20 cores is not the same as having 1 core, but with 20 times the speed. 1 core with 20 times the speed would be much faster at solving than 20 times that 1 core. There are diminishing returns when scaling by cores.
That being said, it is reasonable to assume that some situations on later streets could be solved in real time with a powerful enough server.
Yes,turn and river in NL will be solved very fast.I have GTO+ and my i5 is solving very fast turn and river situations only.Thanks for your answers,you r very good in this.
disident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #556
donkANALysis
centurion
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 136
re: MonkerSolver

Hey. I've forgotten my username/password and I've tried to e-mail you guys multiple times to support@monkerware.com but my messages keep coming back undelivered. Where can I get in touch with you guys? My e-mail is ericmt87@gmail.com. Thanks.
donkANALysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:47 PM   #557
Eudaimonia
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lumbridge
Posts: 388
re: MonkerSolver

How do i access the in-app store or whatever to purchase monker?
Eudaimonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:05 AM   #558
Eudaimonia
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lumbridge
Posts: 388
re: MonkerSolver

Few questions here...

---

In the monker free version when i start building the tree and it asks for pot size in sb? Is sb suppose to be bb?

Secondly when i try to solve and run the solver, the CPU never goes to 100% and this weird java program thing starts using chunks of CPU instead of the actual program "monkersolver"
Eudaimonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #559
IsaacAsimov
old hand
 
IsaacAsimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,704
re: MonkerSolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eudaimonia View Post
How do i access the in-app store or whatever to purchase monker?
You need to create a MonkerViewer account, and then you can purchase it from the MonkerViewer in-app store:

http://monkerware.com/solver.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eudaimonia View Post
Few questions here...

---

In the monker free version when i start building the tree and it asks for pot size in sb? Is sb suppose to be bb?

Secondly when i try to solve and run the solver, the CPU never goes to 100% and this weird java program thing starts using chunks of CPU instead of the actual program "monkersolver"
In general, Monkersolver uses 1 "sb" to determine sizes. So 60bb would be 120sb and that is the stack size you would typically input when creating a game tree (120 if you want 60bbs). Think of stack sizes as defined in multiples of 1 chip. I believe the terminology sb/bb is avoided in later versions of the full version to avoid confusion.

Under Windows, I wouldn't typically expect CPU usage to go to 100%. Monkersolver runs on JRE (Java Runtime Environment), that's why you will see it using system resources. This is normal.

Generally you will experience overall better performance using the full version of Monkersolver.
IsaacAsimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:14 PM   #560
chickens
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kanada
Posts: 168
re: MonkerSolver

Hi guys, appreciate the good info in this thread. Question about the 2 computers allowed per an account. If I buy a server from contabo and install monkerware on there, and also already have it installed on my laptop will I easily be able to uninstall from Contabo / my laptop and use monkerware on another PC or server if needed?
chickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:34 AM   #561
IsaacAsimov
old hand
 
IsaacAsimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,704
re: MonkerSolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickens View Post
Hi guys, appreciate the good info in this thread. Question about the 2 computers allowed per an account. If I buy a server from contabo and install monkerware on there, and also already have it installed on my laptop will I easily be able to uninstall from Contabo / my laptop and use monkerware on another PC or server if needed?
Yes.
IsaacAsimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:47 AM   #562
leavesofliberty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: probably busto
Posts: 6,284
re: MonkerSolver

Where are the *.tree files to work from? It is a painstaking process to try to build these trees from scratch.

I am trying to use this for limit hold'em.
leavesofliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #563
Eudaimonia
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lumbridge
Posts: 388
re: MonkerSolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacAsimov View Post
You need to create a MonkerViewer account, and then you can purchase it from the MonkerViewer in-app store:

http://monkerware.com/solver.html



In general, Monkersolver uses 1 "sb" to determine sizes. So 60bb would be 120sb and that is the stack size you would typically input when creating a game tree (120 if you want 60bbs). Think of stack sizes as defined in multiples of 1 chip. I believe the terminology sb/bb is avoided in later versions of the full version to avoid confusion.

Under Windows, I wouldn't typically expect CPU usage to go to 100%. Monkersolver runs on JRE (Java Runtime Environment), that's why you will see it using system resources. This is normal.

Generally you will experience overall better performance using the full version of Monkersolver.
Thank you!
Eudaimonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #564
chickens
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kanada
Posts: 168
re: MonkerSolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacAsimov View Post
Yes.
Cheers man
chickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:09 PM   #565
Eudaimonia
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lumbridge
Posts: 388
re: MonkerSolver

@IsaacAsmiov

How do i interpret the results of this monkersolver MW solution?

https://i.imgur.com/0s6zlUa.png

It's very difficult to read what the solutions are compared to PIO
Eudaimonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:48 AM   #566
ceegee
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ceegee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Last, Best Hope of Western Stud
Posts: 6,548
re: MonkerSolver

Does the omaha hi/lo tree work? Is it for Pot limit or limit o8?
ceegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:37 PM   #567
chickens
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kanada
Posts: 168
re: MonkerSolver

Any tips for speeding up sims? I bought the most powerful contabo server (256GB RAM) with 2x normal CPU speed (40 threads) and it's still telling me it's going to take 4 days to run a 3 handed no ante 25bb NL preflop sim. Is there somewhere in the settings to allow faster cpu speed as there was for adjusting allowable RAM?
chickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:00 AM   #568
IsaacAsimov
old hand
 
IsaacAsimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,704
re: MonkerSolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceegee View Post
Does the omaha hi/lo tree work? Is it for Pot limit or limit o8?
Yes it works, it can be either PL or FL, depending on how you define the game tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickens View Post
Any tips for speeding up sims? I bought the most powerful contabo server (256GB RAM) with 2x normal CPU speed (40 threads) and it's still telling me it's going to take 4 days to run a 3 handed no ante 25bb NL preflop sim. Is there somewhere in the settings to allow faster cpu speed as there was for adjusting allowable RAM?
There are a lot of useful tips for tree building on the website:

http://monkerware.com/trees.html

How fast a tree runs really depends on the game tree, and your settings. Cutting down the postflop game tree and the least useful branches preflop will increase the speed in which you receive useful results for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eudaimonia View Post
@IsaacAsmiov

How do i interpret the results of this monkersolver MW solution?

https://i.imgur.com/0s6zlUa.png

It's very difficult to read what the solutions are compared to PIO
Sadly Monkersolver is not as user friendly as PIO. That's just something you will need to get used to. I'm not sure what more to say than that. I think most of the output should be self-explanatory albeit sometimes tedious to extract.
IsaacAsimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:00 AM   #569
potbet
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 49
which server?

Hi,

unfortunately I am a noob regarding computer stuff.

I thought about buying a server but I do not have a clue what is needed to run monker except for a lot of RAM.

I thought about renting at contabo.com but it feels pretty expensive compared to buying something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Prolia...0AAOSwNDJajD-U
and have it for my own.

Is there are guide for which server to buy for using monker? Is a special software needed or would I be able to run that with Win10?
Sorry for the noob questions. I appreciate your help
potbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:23 AM   #570
IsaacAsimov
old hand
 
IsaacAsimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,704
Re: which server?

Quote:
Originally Posted by potbet View Post
Hi,

unfortunately I am a noob regarding computer stuff.

I thought about buying a server but I do not have a clue what is needed to run monker except for a lot of RAM.

I thought about renting at contabo.com but it feels pretty expensive compared to buying something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Prolia...0AAOSwNDJajD-U
and have it for my own.

Is there are guide for which server to buy for using monker? Is a special software needed or would I be able to run that with Win10?
Sorry for the noob questions. I appreciate your help
I would not recommend that server you posted for use with Monker, since it runs on dated hardware (AMD Opteron, DDR3 Memory), that will be quite slow compared to more modern hardware. If you want to build your own server in a reasonable price range, I would recommend the following build:

https://solveoptimized.com/2018/03/1...station-build/
IsaacAsimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #571
chickens
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kanada
Posts: 168
re: MonkerSolver

Ok cool thanks for response Isaac
chickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:21 PM   #572
CastlesMadeASand
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,011
re: MonkerSolver

Running into an issue of finding saved ranges. It's worked fine for me in the past- I would save the range to the ranges file and be able to locate them. Now all of a sudden they aren't being saved. Any fix or any way to find the save location?
CastlesMadeASand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:37 PM   #573
Hoopster81
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Hoopster81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Posts: 7,277
re: MonkerSolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastlesMadeASand View Post
Running into an issue of finding saved ranges. It's worked fine for me in the past- I would save the range to the ranges file and be able to locate them. Now all of a sudden they aren't being saved. Any fix or any way to find the save location?
settings tab -> default saved run folder
Hoopster81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:23 PM   #574
CastlesMadeASand
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,011
re: MonkerSolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopster81 View Post
settings tab -> default saved run folder
This allows me to find the entire tree, but when I select a certain action to save the ranges for, I can't locate them in the ranges folder.

Basically trying to save two tu ranges to run a riv sim.
CastlesMadeASand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:50 PM   #575
Hoopster81
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Hoopster81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Posts: 7,277
re: MonkerSolver

oh sorry I misread... no clue
Hoopster81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive