Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2019, 06:16 AM   #201
ponyboy
adept
 
ponyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 863
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggetje View Post
Really? I thought people ITT hated Tai. Either way I seriously doubt people didn't make a fuss about it back then, I have to imagine the majority of rational, non-vegetarian people think it's a silly thing to make a scene about.
Likely because Tai established from the beginning he was against things like that and was very pro nature from the start, plus they had more time to get to know him better. Wendy seemed to be doing it just because she wanted to go against the group, which is just annoying. Wardog calling her out on eating meat at home was spot on. I'd be super pissed too if someone suddenly decided to be a hypocrite, especially if she was on the chopping block as well.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:06 PM   #202
Banana man
veteran
 
Banana man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,044
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by revots33 View Post
Don't get the hate for Aubrey.
She's probably the most overrated player of all time. She's okay but not some mastermind strategist like dumb people think. This is her 3rd time being on the show ffs. I'm not surprised people here like her so much considering most everyone here considered Russell the GOAT player lmao
Banana man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #203
Didace
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Didace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 15,039
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Wardog calling her out on eating meat at home was spot on.
But the meat she eats at home comes from a store, no killing needed.
Didace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:34 PM   #204
Kurn, son of Mogh
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Rhode Island and Providence Plantat
Posts: 14,960
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didace View Post
But the meat she eats at home comes from a store, no killing needed.
Except that "I eat meat, I just don't want to do the killing" is a specious argument.

For the record, as long as there may be challenges that require swimming, she should be kept at least until right before the merge.
Kurn, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:56 PM   #205
King~of~Diamonds
Pooh-Bah
 
King~of~Diamonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,985
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by revots33 View Post
Don't get the hate for Aubrey. Seems like a nice person, decent social game, not a huge liability in challenges.
She has absolutely no peepee
King~of~Diamonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #206
Spin2Win
banned
 
Spin2Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: I lost my soul but became a soldier
Posts: 360
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurn, son of Mogh View Post
Except that "I eat meat, I just don't want to do the killing" is a specious argument.



For the record, as long as there may be challenges that require swimming, she should be kept at least until right before the merge.


There will almost certainly be other challenges that require running and obstacle courses though, and she likely will have a tough time at those because of her ankle injury
Spin2Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:23 PM   #207
Kurn, son of Mogh
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Rhode Island and Providence Plantat
Posts: 14,960
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spin2Win View Post
There will almost certainly be other challenges that require running and obstacle courses though, and she likely will have a tough time at those because of her ankle injury
Maybe, but she was moving pretty good on land at the end of the last episode. There really is no good strategic reason to vote her off.
Kurn, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:17 PM   #208
TimTimSalabim
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TimTimSalabim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winning
Posts: 13,779
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Highly recommend the Spencer interview on RHAP. Dude's got a lot going on under the surface.
TimTimSalabim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:33 PM   #209
KansasCT
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KansasCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Kansas City Shuffle
Posts: 9,834
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

do we already know how the players from extinction are supposed to go back?
KansasCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:51 PM   #210
Soncy
Pooh-Bah
 
Soncy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Homeward Bound
Posts: 5,198
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
I don't see why David and Rick didn't just vote out Wentworth. That was their plan all along, and they had the numbers. Wendy and Chris still voted for Wentworth anyway, so David and Rick could easily have gotten rid of her if they decided to.

The "burying evidence against Wentworth" reason seems strange because it doesn't matter if Wentworth is gone. The "burning Wardog" reason seems strange because he was willing to burn him initially and didn't want to tell Wardog the Wentworth plan in the first place. The "no value in Chris" reason seems strange because Chris was still more useful to and less likely to turn on David than Wentworth is. Especially with a tribe swap coming soon, and you know Wentworth is likely to make other stronger alliances, whereas you may be able to regroup with Chris in the future.

The edit must be holding something back, because it didn't show a good reason1 for David and Rick to change their minds.


1 Understandably, for TC drama, but confusing in retrospect.
Aside from his "crazy eyes" being a little disconcerting, I haven't been able to figure out why so much deference is paid to Wardog in the tribe. He seems like kind of a meathead, yet Chris and Wentworth seem to run a lot of strategy through him, and Rick and David always seemed concerned about his reaction to things. Rick said straight out if Wardog found out about the movement against Wentworth, then Wardog would most likely put the brakes on the move. Which made very little sense, as you said, given Rick, David, Chris, and Wendy all seemed willing to vote out Wentworth. Wardog should have been irrelevant.

I will surmise the possibility that once Rick and David realized Chris was telling Wardog their strategy, but they could in this limited window, vote Chris out and allow the targeting of Wentworth to be "on" Chris...they chose to seize this opportunity. Spitballing here. Let's say Rick and David want to take out a high value target. They've been targeting Wentworth because she's a known hard playing returnee. But suddenly Chris becomes available as a target because Wardog is tired of having to keep explaining the idea of keeping Wentworth as a meat shield to Chris and is apparently too stupid to realize Chris is also a good alternate target in addition to being invested in an alliance with Wardog.

They got in the position where if they blindsided Wardog by voting out Wentworth and left Chris in the game, they might end up getting exposed by Chris as the original masterminds of the move. Why that matters once you have the numbers, I'm not sure. I don't understand the don't rock Wardog's boat thing that seems to be going on.

But just looking at taking out Chris vs. taking out Wentworth. Both are good targets. Chris showed he could not be trusted to keep their confidences and do what they wanted to do. They can STILL point at Wentworth as the sneaky, dangerous, returnee that needs to be removed in the future. And right now this window is open to remove Chris. Seize the day.
Soncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:24 PM   #211
Soncy
Pooh-Bah
 
Soncy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Homeward Bound
Posts: 5,198
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

I will chime in that people in this forum have complained about Joe and Tai plenty. Also, the people who say Aubrey is not good at Survivor obviously do not understand Survivor. There really isn't any need to engage with them about it unless you just like that banging your head against the wall feeling.

Wendy is a kick ass swimmer. Props.

I too eat chicken but would not relish the idea of killing the chicken myself. So my reaction to that whole business would be gratefulness to the other members of my tribe who would be willing to kill the chicken so that we could all eat it. If I felt the need to not physically be in the area while the chicken was killed, I'd deal with that by not physically being in the area while the chicken was killed. If my ankle would support me enough to take the flint away and hide it, then I'd manage to find a way to move away from camp while the chicken is being killed.

I consider hiding the tribe's flint so that they can't have fire to boil water and cook rice and chicken to be anti-social. I consider setting the chickens free to be anti-social. And I think trying to get Rick on board with sabotaging the tribe is weak. The woman eats meat ffs. It's not like she's vegan or whatever. She wants to claim moral high ground, by making the people on her tribe not be able to keep warm, have boiled water to drink, or be able to eat. Sorry, no.

In my opinion, Wendy fails the Survivor social experiment. In addition, I think she's a loose cannon. I would not want to be in an alliance with her.
Soncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:34 PM   #212
King~of~Diamonds
Pooh-Bah
 
King~of~Diamonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,985
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Tai is trash. It has nothing to do with chickens
King~of~Diamonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:27 AM   #213
jcohen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 37,548
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Apparently everyone read the Wendy/Rick discussion way differently than I did. I thought it was pretty obviously in jest, not that she was actually asking him to free the chickens. There is of course no reason he would do that. I guess if everyone thought she was serious, that explains why everyone is so against her. I thought it was just fun banter between them
jcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:43 AM   #214
bbfg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
bbfg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,631
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

People try to make everything about sexism .

It's been a while, but from what I remember:
*Tai was never confrontational or telling people they are not allowed to kill the chicken, he just convinced them not to do it.
*I think they killed x chickens and just kept 1 around.
*Tai never sabotaged or tried to prevent people from killing the chicken.
*Tai his position made sense and he made people respect his view.

I really wanted to like Wendy after E1, but she's just irritating and bad. Her logic on not killing chickens is just completely ridiculous.

I'm fine with the idea that you don't want to see an animal get killed.
I'm fine with the idea that you don't want to eat an animal you have seen when it was alive.
It is ridiculous to hold everyone to those standards, ESPECIALLY while not even being a vegetarian. It makes no sense.

Her giving up after hurting her ankle and basicly helping herself become the target was also beyond bad gameplay.
bbfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #215
bbfg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
bbfg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,631
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

I also 100% understand why David wants to get Kelley out, but him not pulling the trigger is so incredibly risky. Kelley will figure it out eventually, and then it will be 50/50 who survives. I don't understand why he keeps postponing it.
bbfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:29 AM   #216
Clovis8
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Having a beer with Charles Darwin
Posts: 16,133
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfg View Post
People try to make everything about sexism .
Because itís rampant and drives the majority of peopleís lives, both consciously and unconsciously.
Clovis8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:20 AM   #217
Didace
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Didace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 15,039
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcohen View Post
I thought it was pretty obviously in jest, not that she was actually asking him to free the chickens.
Spoiler:
Didace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:09 AM   #218
Kurn, son of Mogh
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Rhode Island and Providence Plantat
Posts: 14,960
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Her giving up after hurting her ankle
Huh? She walked in to the next challenge and competed. Not how I define giving up.

Plus, it sure looked like she had her ankle wrapped for the challenge, which leads me to think they edited out a visit from medical that determined the injury wasn't serious.
Kurn, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #219
bbfg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
bbfg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,631
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

I meant what she did after the challenge. She basicly gave David permission to vote her out and did not even try and impact the vote.
bbfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #220
Soncy
Pooh-Bah
 
Soncy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Homeward Bound
Posts: 5,198
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcohen View Post
Apparently everyone read the Wendy/Rick discussion way differently than I did. I thought it was pretty obviously in jest, not that she was actually asking him to free the chickens. There is of course no reason he would do that. I guess if everyone thought she was serious, that explains why everyone is so against her. I thought it was just fun banter between them
So what was your read on her taking the flint and saying the rest of them wouldn't be able to make a fire and cook the chickens if she had the flint?
Soncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:47 PM   #221
jcohen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 37,548
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfg View Post
People try to make everything about sexism .

It's been a while, but from what I remember:
*Tai was never confrontational or telling people they are not allowed to kill the chicken, he just convinced them not to do it.
*I think they killed x chickens and just kept 1 around.
*Tai never sabotaged or tried to prevent people from killing the chicken.
*Tai his position made sense and he made people respect his view.

I really wanted to like Wendy after E1, but she's just irritating and bad. Her logic on not killing chickens is just completely ridiculous.

I'm fine with the idea that you don't want to see an animal get killed.
I'm fine with the idea that you don't want to eat an animal you have seen when it was alive.
It is ridiculous to hold everyone to those standards, ESPECIALLY while not even being a vegetarian. It makes no sense.

Her giving up after hurting her ankle and basicly helping herself become the target was also beyond bad gameplay.
but she wasn't doing that?
jcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #222
jcohen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 37,548
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didace View Post
Spoiler:
i dont even know what this is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soncy View Post
So what was your read on her taking the flint and saying the rest of them wouldn't be able to make a fire and cook the chickens if she had the flint?
my read is that taking flint is very different from freeing the chickens. she can always give the flint back (or have it 'appear')
jcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #223
jcohen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 37,548
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfg View Post
People try to make everything about sexism .

*Tai his position made sense and he made people respect his view.
this is also really comical. they have the exact same position! don't kill the chicken. but tai's made sense and wendy's doesn't? not about sexism tho
jcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #224
bbfg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
bbfg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,631
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcohen View Post
but she wasn't doing that?
It was all fun, games & (idiotic) banter until she took away the flint. How is her taking the flint away when the camp had just decided to cook some chicken not her preventing people from cooking chicken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcohen View Post
this is also really comical. they have the exact same position! don't kill the chicken. but tai's made sense and wendy's doesn't? not about sexism tho
Higher in my post I posted all the reasons why Tai his position made more sense and was not criticized as much. If you look closely, you will see that none of these reasons are "TAI HAS A PENIS". Your post is also ridiculously unfair. Almost everything in the world is nuanced. It's not your opinion that matters, but how you motivate it.
bbfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:40 PM   #225
jcohen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 37,548
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfg View Post
It was all fun, games & (idiotic) banter until she took away the flint. How is her taking the flint away when the camp had just decided to cook some chicken not her preventing people from cooking chicken?
um, because thats not what you said lol. you said she was holding everyone to her standards. that is not what she was doing. these are different things. she just wanted to save the chickens because she assumed she was going home, as i explained in my post a while ago



Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfg View Post
Higher in my post I posted all the reasons why Tai his position made more sense and was not criticized as much. If you look closely, you will see that none of these reasons are "TAI HAS A PENIS". Your post is also ridiculously unfair. Almost everything in the world is nuanced. It's not your opinion that matters, but how you motivate it.
if I look closely, I will see that you claim Tai "made people respect his view" but "was never confrontational"

yet apparently Wendy was the confrontational one and not Wardog, when all Wendy was doing was defending her own view. something you credit Tai for doing, but criticize Wendy for doing. we have parallel actions here, but you look at them favorably coming from Tai, and disfavorably coming from Wendy

and then you say it's not the opinion that matters, but how you motivate it. what does that mean?! so you are admitting you're only judging the position by the person who delivers it, and not by the position itself. exactly.

and...you were the one who said the position matters, because one of your reasons it was ok for tai was "his position made sense." when they have the exact same position. so you're moving the goalposts again





if you really want to talk about sexism, the whole point is that people overwhelmingly tend to give male survivor players the benefit of the doubt, while assuming only the worst motivations out of the female players without ever trying to understand their perspective. you just see what wendy did and immediately assume she did so for horrible reasons, and make no attempt to actually understand why she did that. or even understand what she was doing in the first place.

its normal for people to have biases. i wish people wouldn't get so defensive about it. there's nothing wrong with that; it would be impossible not to. it's only a problem when people double down on it, rather than doing the tiniest amount of introspection/reflection to realize maybe there is a disparity in how male vs female players are judged. there's clear examples of this time and time again in these threads, but instead people continue to insist it never has anything to do with gender. that seems pretty unlikely to me.
jcohen is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online