Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2019, 07:50 PM   #126
jcohen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 37,548
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Casting hit it out of the ballpark last season, so it was always going to be a tough comparison. Like you, I'm still willing to give it a few more eps before pronouncing judgment though. More character could emerge later. Seems like editing is doing this "tell everyone's story" thing, so the earlier boots are likely getting more attention than they would have in seasons past, and the longer lasting players may not have been featured as much, so there could be more personality that shines later. I mean, editing even cut out Devens' "This is awkward, but my name is also The Wardog" quip, so who knows what else is on the editing room floor.
we also have not seen an entire tribe go to tribal yet. so its pretty hard to judge anyone there when they haven't had a chance to do anything strategical.

this is one of the problems with returning players though. it focuses so much on them, and people's relationships with the returning players, rather than developing the new characters. it's harder to stand out on these seasons. and especially with the 1 hour premiere instead of 1.5-2 hour premiere.

and then it's just bad luck that we had two virtually unanimous votes as the first two. that does not mean they will all be that way. it's just that reem and keith both stuck out. it is way too soon to judge the casting of the season
jcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:54 PM   #127
Spin2Win
banned
 
Spin2Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: I lost my soul but became a soldier
Posts: 360
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post



Hate how at the end credits, they show Reem on EI, instead of the usual bootee interview and all TC votes.



Did not need to see Aubry twerking on Ron. Ugh.



Sure, Wardog has more awareness than Reem or Natalie from last season, but he appears to have brashly strong-armed everyone into changing the vote. He may say he backed off, but judging by TC results, I doubt it.



Looks like this thread is split among Victoria, Lauren, and Wentworth as the cutest. "A blonde, a brunette, and a redhead walk into a Survi-bar..."


I liked the Keith cliffhanger followed by checking back in on Reem, a unique and better than usual way to end the show.

I think Wentworth is the cutest but the brunette is the sexiest
Spin2Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:02 PM   #128
Soncy
Pooh-Bah
 
Soncy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Homeward Bound
Posts: 5,198
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Don't know why they would even cast Keith? Physically terrible, can't swim and no social game whatsoever. There are probably 1000 applicants who would be a better fit in the game rather than just casting a guy who clearly would be voted out early.
I was getting a very Dreams-like vibe off of him and thought it might be worth it to lose Wentworth just to see him stab that helping-him-swim guy in the back later on down the road.

I din't really want to lose Wentworth, but these returning players seem to be drawing so slim--no point in getting too attached. The past few seasons of survivor have been cast with a lot of players who want to win, or at minimum want to make their argument. They don't want these known sneaky returning players messing up their games and/or stealing their airtime. It's a testament to Reem's abrasiveness and Keith's poor performances in challenges that they were voted off before returning players.

Blue haired girl really digging in and trying to scramble. She's much more dangerous to Wardog and company than Wentworth is.

I can't help but be a little proud of Wentworth for being someone's meat shield. Go girl.
Soncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:55 PM   #129
patron
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcohen View Post
everyone needs to retract their keith comments (about him not knowing whether to go or not) if he does go to EI.
I'm assuming that he does eventually decide to go to EI, but then again, I'm assuming that almost everybody does, barring medical reasons, emergencies, etc. My comments still stand. Anyone who wants to play Survivor and go on the show shouldn't have a hard time with this decision, even if they do eventually decide to keep playing.

Quote:
it doesn't mean anything that he hesitated for a moment.
It kinda does though, it shows his gut reaction and immediate feelings. For example, there's a pretty big difference between: "Will you marry me?" A) "OMG Yes of course!" and B) "Hmmm, what do I do, oh God, please help me make this tough decision."

Quote:
if he does go, he'll be no different than everyone else who decides to go.
Yeah, nothing against him personally, and I'm probably coming off too strong on this. Don't mean to come off as too antagonistic. Just my two cents, feel free to disregard.

Quote:
I doubt anyone looks at it and decides to go in a split second without first marveling at how crazy it is or what it means
Reem tho. That's the level of marveling that I expect, and then a snap-yes. To each their own though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Soncy View Post
I din't really want to lose Wentworth, but these returning players seem to be drawing so slim--no point in getting too attached. The past few seasons of survivor have been cast with a lot of players who want to win, or at minimum want to make their argument. They don't want these known sneaky returning players messing up their games and/or stealing their airtime. It's a testament to Reem's abrasiveness and Keith's poor performances in challenges that they were voted off before returning players.
This is probably true for most of them, but historically, every season with a mix of returning players and newbies, a returning player has made it to the end, even when there were only 2 or 3 returnees. Times have changed, but I still think one of the returnees may make it deep.

Quote:
Blue haired girl really digging in and trying to scramble. She's much more dangerous to Wardog and company than Wentworth is.
Yeah, Wendy might be dangerous if she scrambles correctly, but once she locks in, I agree with them that she would be loyal to the end and a useful ally. Wentworth will flip whenever it suits her.

Quote:
I can't help but be a little proud of Wentworth for being someone's meat shield. Go girl.
She's a stud.
patron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:03 AM   #130
housenuts
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
housenuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Come With Me If You Want To Lift
Posts: 34,815
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1cnr View Post
Why would it be so hard to decide if stay or go to extinction island.
Cause Keith is the nut worst. I really hope after all his please god's he decided not to go.
housenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:07 AM   #131
biggetje
veteran
 
biggetje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,871
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Why is david always looking like he rolled around in dirt for hours while other people look quite clean?
biggetje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:07 AM   #132
housenuts
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
housenuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Come With Me If You Want To Lift
Posts: 34,815
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurn, son of Mogh View Post
This is the first time in 38 seasons that I actually felt bad for the person voted off. Seems like a nice guy.
Bad in what sense?
housenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:19 AM   #133
patron
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggetje View Post
Why is david always looking like he rolled around in dirt for hours while other people look quite clean?
I lol'ed.

Maybe he's digging up stuff or hiding fake advantages and things!
patron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:58 AM   #134
Double Down
veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,743
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcohen View Post
lol

sure, she got 2nd and 4th place, surviving a total of 76 out of a possible 78 days, but she isnt actually good
Listing someone's results is a lolterrible way to gauge how good of a player they are because you're not taking any context into the equation. ESPECIALLY a 2nd place finish, which is actually very often indicative that they're a goat which is WHY they were brought to the end and why they ended up 2nd. I'm not saying that this applies to Aubry at all, just saying that her getting a 4th and 2nd tells me nothing about her gameplay.

Now, my memory isn't great with the specifics of her seasons and what she did or didn't do, but I seem to remember that she was overall competent, but didn't necessarily do anything that made me remember her as an actually pretty good player.

Would you like to make an argument for why she's a good player based on her actions and words?

Because if we're just going to yell scoreboard, then I suppose we should just crown Sandra as the GOAT.

So... based on THIS season, it's a pretty socially inept move imo for her to approach her tribe mates with "Hey so what do you guys think about me being here?"
Double Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:38 AM   #135
jcohen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 37,548
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

I listed her results as a shortcut instead of having to explain to you why an obviously good player is good. If you don’t think Aubry was good her first two seasons, you don’t know anything about survivor. And her 2nd place finish is probably one of the most controversial jury results of all time

And you are wrong in taking this analogy to Sandra. The analogy would be if you said Sandra isn’t a good player and I said well she won twice. In which case it would be a perfectly viable argument. Because you didn’t set the bar with Aubry as a top 5/10/20 player, you said she isn’t even good. Her results prove otherwise without even requiring further explanation

and lol at even suggesting Aubry was a goat on her first season
jcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:44 AM   #136
Double Down
veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,743
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcohen View Post
Because you didnít set the bar with Aubry as a top 5/10/20 player, you said she isnít even good. Her results prove otherwise without even requiring further explanation

and lol at even suggesting Aubry was a goat on her first season
Your reading comprehension needs work.

1. I never said she isn't even good. I said it's possible that if we scrutinize her gameplay, we might find that she ain't that great. I also fully admitted that I don't remember the specifics of her seasons, but I remember her being competent but not necessarily standing out as great.

2. I never suggested that Aubry was a goat and I even specifically said so. I was making a point that judging the quality of a player based on their results and without any context is ridiculous, even something as high as a 2nd place, since 2nd place could ALSO indicate that the player was actually a goat. I literally followed that up saying that I was NOT implying that Aubry was a goat.

Can you actually please provide some specific examples of good moves she made in her first two seasons? I mean, with final 4 and final 2 finishes, there must be a ton of examples. Please point out a few?
Double Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:32 AM   #137
ponyboy
adept
 
ponyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 863
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Down View Post

Can you actually please provide some specific examples of good moves she made in her first two seasons? I mean, with final 4 and final 2 finishes, there must be a ton of examples. Please point out a few?
Survivor is full of winners and almost winners who never really made a move at all and literally sucked their way through the game *cough* Sandra *cough* Natalie *cough*. The only reason Sandra even won her first season is because Lillian is an idiot up there with the Asian dude who took the obvious winner to FTC (can't remember his name).
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:12 AM   #138
Double Down
veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,743
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Survivor is full of winners and almost winners who never really made a move at all and literally sucked their way through the game *cough* Sandra *cough* Natalie *cough*. The only reason Sandra even won her first season is because Lillian is an idiot up there with the Asian dude who took the obvious winner to FTC (can't remember his name).
Agree with all of this X 1000.

Asian guy was Woo.
Double Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:42 AM   #139
Kurn, son of Mogh
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Rhode Island and Providence Plantat
Posts: 14,960
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by housenuts View Post
Bad in what sense?
Sort of sad, because he seemed like a little kid (and his awkward walk reminds me of my grandson).

May also have to do with watching the show with my wife and she tends to react emotionally.
Kurn, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:53 PM   #140
Spin2Win
banned
 
Spin2Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: I lost my soul but became a soldier
Posts: 360
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Survivor is full of winners and almost winners who never really made a move at all and literally sucked their way through the game *cough* Sandra *cough* Natalie *cough*. The only reason Sandra even won her first season is because Lillian is an idiot up there with the Asian dude who took the obvious winner to FTC (can't remember his name).


Sandra was great at staying under the radar, not backing down from fights with people without getting them to try them vote her off out of spite, and remaining very well liked while remaining true to a somewhat harsh personality. I would say that, with the possible exceptions of Parvati and Yul, sheís also the best thereís ever been at handling tribal council questions.
Spin2Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:30 PM   #141
jcohen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 37,548
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
Your reading comprehension needs work.
mine needs work? because I already said my response of ďlol sureĒ was appropriate and that I used her 2nd/4th place as a shortcut because I donít need to explain why an obviously good player is obviously good, and yet here you are asking me to provide specific examples. I was clear that I did not want to ďmake an argumentĒ that sheís good because itís obvious and does not need to be debated, least of all with someone who knows nothing about her game in the first place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
1. I never said she isn't even good. I said it's possible that if we scrutinize her gameplay, we might find that she ain't that great. I also fully admitted that I don't remember the specifics of her seasons, but I remember her being competent but not necessarily standing out as great.
your argument is that you donít remember her. great. so you admit you donít know what youíre talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
2. I never suggested that Aubry was a goat and I even specifically said so. I was making a point that judging the quality of a player based on their results and without any context is ridiculous, even something as high as a 2nd place, since 2nd place could ALSO indicate that the player was actually a goat. I literally followed that up saying that I was NOT implying that Aubry was a goat.
one finish might not, but two deep runs should tell you she has done something right. in addition to the universal respect she gets from pretty much everyone in the survivor world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
Can you actually please provide some specific examples of good moves she made in her first two seasons? I mean, with final 4 and final 2 finishes, there must be a ton of examples. Please point out a few?
no dude, Iím not gonna do the work for you when your entire argument is that you donít remember her. you have brought nothing to the table to argue against. if you actually truly care about the answer to this question, you can google her seasons and read the summaries yourself. Iím not doing that for you when itís obvious

it would be like if I asked you why Boston Rob is good, and you said well duh he dominated a season. and then I said well just because someone wins once that doesnít mean theyíre good without context, so instead go back through his seasons for me and lay out specific actions he took to explain to me why heís good

like no, **** off. do that yourself. you donít even remember anything or have any points against her. so Iím not doing that.
jcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:58 PM   #142
Double Down
veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,743
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

The reason why your reading comprehension is terrible is because you accused me of saying things I never said. You accused me of saying that Aubry is a goat, when I explicitly said that I was absolutely not implying that at all. You accused me of saying that Aubry wasn't even good, when I very clearly was saying that she might not be great.

If you asked me to tell you why Boston Rob was great and I told you that he dominated his season, and you responded to please go into detail, I would gladly. I would tell you about how he established himself as the alpha of his tribe, to the point that all of the other tribes mates were practically intimidated into even communicating with the other tribe, lest they be seen as a traitor. He made them come to him with any information they had.

I don't know why you're being such a **** about this. These threads are RIFE with posters re-litigating moments from past seasons, and debating the merits of their moves, and how they could have done them better. I mean... just a couple posts up, someone gave some insight into why they thought Sandra was one of the best by talking about aspects of her gameplay. We do this all the time.

There have been a gazillion seasons of this show now. I have seen every single episode, but I have to admit that what I've retained over the past 10 seasons isn't as detailed as older seasons (especially ones that have been talked about to death like HvV1 & 2, etc.)

A few of the past seasons have also not necessarily stood out, and even when someone mentions a season and their winner, it takes me a moment to be like "Who? Oh... right. That guy." I also know that I'm not alone in this. Even within the first few pages of this young thread, posters have said that they didn't necessarily remember much about some of the returning players and asked for reminders, and we have obliged. No one has responded with "LOL I'm not gonna do your homework for you bro! Go watch their season yourself!"

Seriously, stop being such a ****wad. It's not a good look.
Double Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:18 PM   #143
jcohen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 37,548
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

why should the burden of proof be on me when you’re the one making a contrarian claim? how about you scrutinize her gameplay and get back to me?

idgaf about whether you think Aubry is good or not, and don’t need to have a huge argument about it when you can’t be bothered to look up anything yourself. If you had come to the thread with actual points and legitimate criticisms of her gameplay, then we could have a discussion. but you don’t even have a starting point

and you’re literally doing the same thing you’re accusing me of in terms of reading comprehension
jcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:54 PM   #144
Double Down
veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,743
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcohen View Post
why should the burden of proof be on me when youíre the one making a contrarian claim? how about you scrutinize her gameplay and get back to me?

idgaf about whether you think Aubry is good or not, and donít need to have a huge argument about it when you canít be bothered to look up anything yourself. If you had come to the thread with actual points and legitimate criticisms of her gameplay, then we could have a discussion. but you donít even have a starting point

and youíre literally doing the same thing youíre accusing me of in terms of reading comprehension
Burden of proof? jfc man we're talking about contestants on a reality show. Why are you so heated up about this?

The "contrarian" claim I'm making is that Aubry might not be great. Oh the controversy! The scandal!! The gall to make such a claim! By the way, I think many in this thread actually agree with me so I don't even think it constitutes as contrarian.

Clearly you give a huge **** about what I think about Aubry. What's the deal? You have a thing for her or something? I get it, we all have celebrity crushes but yours is coming off like you've got an Aubry shrine in your basement.

How am I doing the same thing as you as far as lack of reading comprehension? I've already given different examples of how you completely misconstrued my words. At what point did I misconstrue yours?

I fear I just might not be engaging with a very intelligent person here, or a troll. I challenge you to provide some type of substance in your post if you choose to respond again, since you're pretty close to proving me right.
Double Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:59 PM   #145
jcohen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 37,548
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

lol
jcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:36 PM   #146
Double Down
veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,743
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcohen View Post
lol
Thank you for verifying.
Double Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:19 PM   #147
King~of~Diamonds
Pooh-Bah
 
King~of~Diamonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,985
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Survivor brings out the best in twoplustwo
King~of~Diamonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:37 PM   #148
El Rata
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
El Rata's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 30,607
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

pre-med student doesnt understand freeroll
El Rata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:39 PM   #149
patron
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,660
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times.
patron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:43 PM   #150
Skellig Michael
Accidental 4L Prop Savant
 
Skellig Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: One step ahead of the radar
Posts: 241
Re: Survivor S38: Edge of Extinction Main Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Don't know why they would even cast Keith? Physically terrible, can't swim and no social game whatsoever. There are probably 1000 applicants who would be a better fit in the game rather than just casting a guy who clearly would be voted out early.
That's what the producers wanted for this game. It gives the returning players a shield so they can get their footing in the game.

They don't want David, Wentworth, Aubry, and especially Joe to be the first 4 boots.
Skellig Michael is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online