Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #2701
Soncy
Pooh-Bah
 
Soncy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Homeward Bound
Posts: 5,372
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

Quote:
Originally Posted by boc4life View Post
See my post re: NaOnka and the NBA

Bias takes subtle forms. A lot of people who hate NaOnka are racist. If you hate NaOnka, you're not 100% a racist, but there's a decent chance you might be.
See, I would say if you hate Cirie you might be a racist, but if you hate Naonka you're probably normal. You guys pick a strange poster child to try to support your point.
Soncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #2702
kartinken
old hand
 
kartinken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: "I'm a villain?"
Posts: 1,989
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soncy View Post
See, I would say if you hate Cirie you might be a racist, but if you hate Naonka you're probably normal. You guys pick a strange poster child to try to support your point.
Soncy, how can you misunderstand my point so many times? I consider you one of the brightest people here. It's so frustrating...

Edit: I'm only using Nay in comparison to russell. Obv she's totally hatable. I've said I hate her many times. She's not the point, it's the comparison to Russell.

Last edited by kartinken; 11-07-2010 at 10:41 PM.
kartinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #2703
Clovis8
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Having a beer with Charles Darwin
Posts: 16,503
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

I've often wondered why Survivor never had a feature like Big Brother where you can subscribe to additional feeds of extra footage. It would sure be nice to see how much the edit really does change things on the show.
Clovis8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #2704
kartinken
old hand
 
kartinken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: "I'm a villain?"
Posts: 1,989
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovis8 View Post
I've often wondered why Survivor never had a feature like Big Brother where you can subscribe to additional feeds of extra footage. It would sure be nice to see how much the edit really does change things on the show.
Because they want to tell a specific story.
kartinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #2705
Clovis8
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Having a beer with Charles Darwin
Posts: 16,503
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartinken View Post
Because they want to tell a specific story.
as does big brother with their edit but they also offer the additional feed and make extra money at the same time.
Clovis8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #2706
Soncy
Pooh-Bah
 
Soncy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Homeward Bound
Posts: 5,372
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartinken View Post
This is where Boc and I disagree. I think hatred of NaOnka is way more likely to be from a place of misogyny than racism.
He's not entirely wrong on this issue. Naonka is just not the right tool for attempting to make the point because nobody is going to listen.

Do you people honestly believe that aggressive behavior by a female is generally recieved and accepted the same as aggressive behavior by a male? Come on. We know better, right? I mean, it's not the end of the world, but it's mostly true that aggressive men tend to be more respected than aggressive women.
Soncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #2707
VarianceMinefield
banned
 
VarianceMinefield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eye Test Guy
Posts: 57,722
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

if you like cirie and dont like rob cesternino then you are sexist against males or racist against whites. agree or disagree, kartin?
VarianceMinefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #2708
kartinken
old hand
 
kartinken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: "I'm a villain?"
Posts: 1,989
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soncy View Post
He's not entirely wrong on this issue. Naonka is just not the right tool for attempting to make the point because nobody is going to listen.

Do you people honestly believe that aggressive behavior by a female is generally recieved and accepted the same as aggressive behavior by a male? Come on. We know better, right? I mean, it's not the end of the world, but it's mostly true that aggressive men tend to be more respected than aggressive women.
Yeah, but this is an important issue to me, so I try to get people to think about it. I suppose in addition to my approach, I just don't have the ear of the people I am trying to reach.
kartinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #2709
boc4life
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
boc4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: epicenter of east coast US poker
Posts: 6,910
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soncy View Post
See, I would say if you hate Cirie you might be a racist, but if you hate Naonka you're probably normal. You guys pick a strange poster child to try to support your point.
nahh, Cirie got an over-the-top positive, hero edit. The editors stayed far, far, away from showing Cirie in any kind of negative or stereotypical manner. You're comparing apples to oranges.
boc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #2710
Clovis8
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Having a beer with Charles Darwin
Posts: 16,503
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soncy View Post
He's not entirely wrong on this issue. Naonka is just not the right tool for attempting to make the point because nobody is going to listen.

Do you people honestly believe that aggressive behavior by a female is generally recieved and accepted the same as aggressive behavior by a male? Come on. We know better, right? I mean, it's not the end of the world, but it's mostly true that aggressive men tend to be more respected than aggressive women.

That's a good point and I totally agree aggression in women is seen as bitchy but in men it's seen as a virtue. However you must concede that in NaOnka's case this is not the situation. NaOnka is not playing the game aggressively and getting penalized. There is no rhyme or reason to her aggression. She is just an awful person.
Clovis8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #2711
kartinken
old hand
 
kartinken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: "I'm a villain?"
Posts: 1,989
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarianceMinefield View Post
if you like cirie and dont like rob cesternino then you are sexist against males or racist against whites. agree or disagree, kartin?
I would agree with this. If a black woman said she loved cirie and hated Rob C I would make the same claim.

The difference here is my point with Nay and Russell is a more serious one in the world than the reverse. The reverse exists, but it's not really something I care very much about right now.

Women and blacks have legitimate historic and cultural reasons for their biases. White males biases comes closer to self-fulfilling prophecies than anything legitimate.

Edit: apparently I lied about dropping this.
kartinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #2712
boc4life
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
boc4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: epicenter of east coast US poker
Posts: 6,910
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovis8 View Post
I've often wondered why Survivor never had a feature like Big Brother where you can subscribe to additional feeds of extra footage. It would sure be nice to see how much the edit really does change things on the show.
There are obvious timeframe-related issues that would make this impossible. It sucks, cuz I'd sure love to subscribe to such a feature. But the money they'd make off of such a subscription service would barely be a drop in the bucket of the revenue that Survivor generates.

Don't hold your breath that something like this will ever happen.
boc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:03 PM   #2713
Soncy
Pooh-Bah
 
Soncy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Homeward Bound
Posts: 5,372
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartinken View Post
Soncy, how can you misunderstand my point so many times? I consider you one of the brightest people here. It's so frustrating...

Edit: I'm only using Nay in comparison to russell. Obv she's totally hatable. I've said I hate her many times. She's not the point, it's the comparison to Russell.
I thought I said somewhere that I understood why you were making the comparison and the point you were trying to make...I even appreciate how you are saying you are simply attempting to provoke inner reflection. I just don't understand how you think inner reflection is going to happen when you say they are exactly the same when they aren't and the Russell lovers are only going to dig in and trumpet the differences. I mean, they didn't love him soley because he burned socks. They loved him because he burned socks trying to create misery and chaos, which he thought would benefit him in some way. The motives are different and the motives are largely what matter to the people that like Russell. {shrug} You are not the only one who is frustrated, buddy.
Soncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #2714
Clovis8
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Having a beer with Charles Darwin
Posts: 16,503
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

Quote:
Originally Posted by boc4life View Post
There are obvious timeframe-related issues that would make this impossible. It sucks, cuz I'd sure love to subscribe to such a feature. But the money they'd make off of such a subscription service would barely be a drop in the bucket of the revenue that Survivor generates.

Don't hold your breath that something like this will ever happen.
I agree but they must have 10 times the footage than they actually show why not just dump that onto a service and charge. I bet a lot of people would pay and it would cost them nothing.
Clovis8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #2715
boc4life
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
boc4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: epicenter of east coast US poker
Posts: 6,910
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

Also, only the most closed-minded and ignorant racists would say they hate ALL black people. To most closet racists; positive, heroic black people like Ryan Howard, Clarence Thomas, Charles Barkley, and Cirie Fields are off limits.
boc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #2716
keepitreal
veteran
 
keepitreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: harbaugh city
Posts: 3,483
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

the funniest thing in all of this is we're friggin anonymous posters. i don't read all the posts so maybe a lot of people have outed their age/race/gender/etc but all i know is soncy is a chick and kart is a white dude and kos is a dude (or a girl that played baseball).

i'm not a black chick but i could be!
keepitreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #2717
VarianceMinefield
banned
 
VarianceMinefield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eye Test Guy
Posts: 57,722
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovis8 View Post
That's a good point and I totally agree aggression in women is seen as bitchy but in men it's seen as a virtue. However you must concede that in NaOnka's case this is not the situation. NaOnka is not playing the game aggressively and getting penalized. There is no rhyme or reason to her aggression. She is just an awful person.
yea but it goes both ways. see mick vs natalie. he got no votes and played the exact same game as her(i think). because when people see a man not making moves and coatailing it and just trying to be nice. he is viewed as weak and she is viewed as a sweetheart.
VarianceMinefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #2718
Clovis8
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Having a beer with Charles Darwin
Posts: 16,503
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

Quote:
Originally Posted by boc4life View Post
Clarence Thomas.
I can safely say I hate the living **** out of Thomas and it nothing to do with his race but the fact that he is a knuckle dragging, back to kitchen with women, homophobic, money grubbing neocon.
Clovis8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #2719
Soncy
Pooh-Bah
 
Soncy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Homeward Bound
Posts: 5,372
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovis8 View Post
That's a good point and I totally agree aggression in women is seen as bitchy but in men it's seen as a virtue. However you must concede that in NaOnka's case this is not the situation. NaOnka is not playing the game aggressively and getting penalized. There is no rhyme or reason to her aggression. She is just an awful person.
Do you think I concede or not when I keep pointing out that Naonka--who most of us seem to agree is a tool--is the WRONG TOOL for this discussion.
Soncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #2720
keepitreal
veteran
 
keepitreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: harbaugh city
Posts: 3,483
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

i will ship $1 (yeaaaaaa) on stars to the first person who accurately guesses how many black friends i have on facebook
keepitreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #2721
Clovis8
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Having a beer with Charles Darwin
Posts: 16,503
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarianceMinefield View Post
yea but it goes both ways. see mick vs natalie. he got no votes and played the exact same game as her(i think). because when people see a man not making moves and coatailing it and just trying to be nice. he is viewed as weak and she is viewed as a sweetheart.
I sure didnt view it that way. Natalie and Mick were horrid players.
Clovis8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:12 PM   #2722
VarianceMinefield
banned
 
VarianceMinefield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eye Test Guy
Posts: 57,722
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovis8 View Post
I sure didnt view it that way. Natalie and Mick were horrid players.
heh i didnt say they were good. im just saying just because a woman gets penalized for being aggro, doesnt make it a bad thing. just means they need to be smart enough to adjust there game.
VarianceMinefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:13 PM   #2723
keepitreal
veteran
 
keepitreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: harbaugh city
Posts: 3,483
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

can 2+2 get on top of daylight savings...i just got mindf-cked looking at the time stamps
keepitreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #2724
Soncy
Pooh-Bah
 
Soncy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Homeward Bound
Posts: 5,372
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

Why is there no Rob C podcast for me to enjoy this week? And did he quit writing a recap blog for CBS?

Random FYI: I finally got around to asking my Everywoman if she remembered who Shane Powers was. She did not. I had her google him and she said he looked vaguely familiar. I asked her if she thought she would ever forget Russell. She said: "You mean, evil Russell? I don't think I'll forget him."

I asked her if she remembered Rob Cesternino. She said maybe.
Soncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:24 PM   #2725
VarianceMinefield
banned
 
VarianceMinefield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eye Test Guy
Posts: 57,722
Re: Survivor: Nicaragua

yeah soncy not sure. ive been checking his website everyday. disappointed in the lack of updates
VarianceMinefield is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive