Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2015, 07:11 AM   #201
Shelldonahue
old hand
 
Shelldonahue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NM
Posts: 1,877
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

I really don't understand what the point of killing his girlfriend/neighbor/ is unless the drug dealer is trying to set Elliot up. What's the point of it when his brother is dead? With Elliot's gf and the brother of the dealer dead it is super clear that the dealer forced Elliot to do it. Anyone have any ideas why this was setup this way? It just seems to me that this episode was wholly for the casual viewer except for the Cancer plot line and the very brief Mr. Robot/Mr. Slutty Wife conversation.
Shelldonahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:06 AM   #202
Anssi A
veteran
 
Anssi A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 3,182
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

Yeah, killing only Sheila makes no sense. Either kill both or neither.
Anssi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:07 AM   #203
lonely_but_rich
ɔarpal \ʇunnel
 
lonely_but_rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wearing a suit
Posts: 22,630
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

"I am Elliott's broken heart."
lonely_but_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #204
midas
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 3,515
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anssi A View Post
Yeah, killing only Sheila makes no sense. Either kill both or neither.
It makes a ton of sense because killing her is an act of true evil. It reminded me of the end of The Counselor in that you can't have a weakness (like someone you love) when you fight pure evil.

The drug dealer getting away just sets up another villain for Elliot to battle in the upcoming seasons. Love it.
midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #205
Gabby Hayes
veteran
 
Gabby Hayes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wild Wild West
Posts: 2,847
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

The reason killed his brother and Shayla is because he took Elliott's power over him away. Elliott was holding his brother hostagerl with the info to protect himself and Shayla.

I think the reason he didn't kill Elliott is because this is a guy that he can break him out of jail or use for other things, why would he kill a guy like that?
Gabby Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:10 PM   #206
kioshk
Nixonian
 
kioshk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: in my experimental film
Posts: 92,304
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

This is such a strange show. It's about 5 shows in one. I could have used more of the hacker crew and less of the blonde chick going after EvilCorp.
kioshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:27 PM   #207
Anssi A
veteran
 
Anssi A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 3,182
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas View Post
It makes a ton of sense because killing her is an act of true evil. It reminded me of the end of The Counselor in that you can't have a weakness (like someone you love) when you fight pure evil.

The drug dealer getting away just sets up another villain for Elliot to battle in the upcoming seasons. Love it.
I mean it makes sense to advance and open up the plot, but it makes no sense from the point of characters.
Anssi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #208
twalf
adept
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 701
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby Hayes View Post
Weakest episode? That was the most intense episode yet. This gets better and better every week.

Reaching BrBa levels of drama.

I liked the interaction with the CTO teasing Tyrell to take his $1,000,000 Patek Phillips as a consolation prize to pay off his mortgage.
i'm enjoying the show but its no breaking bad.
twalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:55 PM   #209
DeezNuts
veteran
 
DeezNuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,016
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

CTO convo was awesome. "There's the look I've been waiting for!"
DeezNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:07 PM   #210
Detective McNulty
old hand
 
Detective McNulty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bodymore, Murdaland
Posts: 1,937
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

Just because an episode is "intense" doesn't make it good.
Detective McNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:18 PM   #211
Anzat
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sheepishly picking the mic back up
Posts: 1,141
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezNuts View Post
CTO convo was awesome. "There's the look I've been waiting for!"
Yeah they really took that in an unexpected direction after portraying the CTO as kind of a weenie last episode. Wellick's impotent rage after all his plans blew up was great. His wife is becoming more interesting too.
Anzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:19 PM   #212
Double_A
adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 941
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

No, but it usually helps.

Why didn't anyone notice the kidnapping at the beginning? I thought it was going to be revealed that most people in Elliot's world were imaginary.
Double_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #213
mclaughlin04
veteran
 
mclaughlin04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: naptown
Posts: 2,400
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby Hayes View Post
Reaching BrBa levels of drama.
Spoiler:



Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzat View Post
Yeah they really took that in an unexpected direction after portraying the CTO as kind of a weenie last episode. Wellick's impotent rage after all his plans blew up was great. His wife is becoming more interesting too.
+1, really enjoyed the CTO/Tyrell scene.
mclaughlin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #214
esad
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
esad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,518
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

Hopefully we are done with gang leader story line. Let's get back to what we are most invested in.
esad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:57 PM   #215
Dudd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: pm karak w/ ffb questions
Posts: 54,249
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

You can't just kill off his girlfriend and move on and then forget that it happened. Unlike a lot of people itt, I felt like this was the worst episode so far, felt more rushed and unpolished than the previous episodes. I suppose that was sort of the point, they just had to throw some slapdash thing together with off the shelf malware, but still, I just felt like it had a vastly different feeling to the earlier episodes. However, it would truly be a terrible episode if there were no ripple effects from killing of Shayla. He has two friends in the entire world, she was one of them, that's going to leave a mark.

Did love the CTO/Tyrell stuff though. Very good to see him get some pushback. I think Sepinwall touched on this in his review of this episode, but it's much more satisfying when both sides of a conflict are equally matched, not just one genius manipulating a bunch of morons.
Dudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:55 AM   #216
Michael888
Pooh-Bah
 
Michael888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,761
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

Killing recurring characters is how you get people interested though. That and dropping a bunch of f-bombs of course.

Bateman's wife is a bad ***** though. I need to check out Bucharest or something.
Michael888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:28 PM   #217
CharlieDontSurf
Blessed by Pope
 
CharlieDontSurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 14,811
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudd View Post
You can't just kill off his girlfriend and move on and then forget that it happened. Unlike a lot of people itt, I felt like this was the worst episode so far, felt more rushed and unpolished than the previous episodes. I suppose that was sort of the point, they just had to throw some slapdash thing together with off the shelf malware, but still, I just felt like it had a vastly different feeling to the earlier episodes. However, it would truly be a terrible episode if there were no ripple effects from killing of Shayla. He has two friends in the entire world, she was one of them, that's going to leave a mark.

Did love the CTO/Tyrell stuff though. Very good to see him get some pushback. I think Sepinwall touched on this in his review of this episode, but it's much more satisfying when both sides of a conflict are equally matched, not just one genius manipulating a bunch of morons.
I don't see them moving on as its likely this could cause Elliot to spiral out of control -- this is the first time that something Elliot see's as a positive -- hacking people he is interested in or cares about to get closer to them and protect them -- has caused something terrible to happen as a result.
Prior to this he could always view himself as the savior/hero rather than what he truly is...a villain/creeper.

Last edited by CharlieDontSurf; 07-31-2015 at 04:43 PM.
CharlieDontSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:32 PM   #218
Chilltown
SuperMegaElitePoster
 
Chilltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Asgard
Posts: 39,657
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudd View Post
You can't just kill off his girlfriend and move on and then forget that it happened. Unlike a lot of people itt, I felt like this was the worst episode so far, felt more rushed and unpolished than the previous episodes. I suppose that was sort of the point, they just had to throw some slapdash thing together with off the shelf malware, but still, I just felt like it had a vastly different feeling to the earlier episodes. However, it would truly be a terrible episode if there were no ripple effects from killing of Shayla. He has two friends in the entire world, she was one of them, that's going to leave a mark.

Did love the CTO/Tyrell stuff though. Very good to see him get some pushback. I think Sepinwall touched on this in his review of this episode, but it's much more satisfying when both sides of a conflict are equally matched, not just one genius manipulating a bunch of morons.
I completely agree. This felt like a side story with no implications for the future.
Chilltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:33 PM   #219
midas
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 3,515
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilltown View Post
I completely agree. This felt like a side story with no implications for the future.
I disagree, Vera now knows about Elliot's "superpowers" and has some control over Elliot in that he helped with the prison escape which resulted in 2 murders. Vera could be his new arch enemy popping into Elliot's life on occasion throughout the upcoming season's.
midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:46 AM   #220
Adebisi
veteran
 
Adebisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,961
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anssi A View Post
I mean it makes sense to advance and open up the plot, but it makes no sense from the point of characters.
He decided not to kill Elliot because Elliot broke him out of prison. But he still wanted to punish Elliot for putting him in prison in the first place. Makes perfect sense. Especially given the fact he had the body brought along so he could show it to Elliot after the breakout.
Adebisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #221
bbfg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
bbfg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 12,177
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

I agree it felt very unexpected to kill off Sheila, but it makes sense if you think about it (maybe a little too much ).

At first glance he should just kill both, but on the other hand Vera doesn't have to fear Elliot physically and Elliot can't turn him into the cops again because given that he broke Vera out of jail there's Mutual Assured Destruction between the two of them if they ever get arrested.

On the other hand Elliot DOES have to fear Vera physically, he doesn't give a **** to kill people, which was made clear to Elliot by taking out Sheila. So if Elliot tries to go after him again in some other way, Elliot knows everyone in his life is potentially in danger.

So from Vera's perspective he has full dominance over a guy that could be very helpful to him in the future.




I really enjoyed this episode. Very intense at certain moments and once again great acting and great music. Though some scenes in Elliot's appartment were kinda lame.

I think people are expecting the wrong things from this shows, going after E Corp every episode wouldn't work, it just would be the same thing over and over again (them failing at it at the end of the episode) since obviously once they successfully pull of the hack that plotline is mostly over so they have to save that for the end of the season, maybe even the end of a later season. It's a show about hackers, not a show about taking out E Corp. E Corp is just the main "villain" at the moment.

Also, the plotline between CTO-to-be dude and wannabe-CTO dude is amazing. I'm curious how it will evolve though, wouldn't CTO-to-be-dude just fire his ass the moment he becomes CTO (or after a few weeks at least)? I guess wannabe-CTO dude will find something to hold over him. It was hinted this episode that they will set up his wife to cheat on CTO-to-be, so maybe it will be that.
bbfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #222
fivetypes
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
fivetypes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 12%
Posts: 7,058
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

Really enjoyed this ep, and the series so far.

The gang banger is great and proper creepy so hope they bring him back soon.
fivetypes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:24 PM   #223
Chilltown
SuperMegaElitePoster
 
Chilltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Asgard
Posts: 39,657
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas View Post
I disagree, Vera now knows about Elliot's "superpowers" and has some control over Elliot in that he helped with the prison escape which resulted in 2 murders. Vera could be his new arch enemy popping into Elliot's life on occasion throughout the upcoming season's.
Vera is a little too "cartoony" for my liking. If his story line ends then I would be thrilled.
Chilltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #224
Michael888
Pooh-Bah
 
Michael888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,761
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

Hell be back like once a season I bet.
Michael888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:07 AM   #225
fidstar-poker
I'm gonna need a hacksaw
 
fidstar-poker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Reality
Posts: 30,663
Re: New Show- Mr. Robot

Just caught up on the last two episodes.

I think it's getting even better and love that it's having multiple story lines.

Best show I'm currently watching.
fidstar-poker is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive