Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 How I Met Your Mother: Season 6

11-02-2010 , 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeCo
Horrible ep -- "where's the poop?" has become a running gag!! -- really stupid, especially the car alarm stuff, but basically the whole ep was that bad except the Halloween walk of shame bit.
haha yeah "where's the poop?" is so cringeworthy and awful. The fact that Lilly says makes it worse
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-03-2010 , 06:06 AM
Absolutely horrid. This is the first HIMYM episode I thought was just straight up bad. Stuff which, before this episode, probably would have made the HIMYM top 10 worst list:

Car alarm bit (every part of it)
Destroying the office of your boss to get fired for the severance check.
Random protester chick joining an architecture class to heckle the proffessor (uggggggggh)
The part where Randy runs around with a phone in his hand, causing havoc, to show his incompetence (uggggggh again)

Stuff that was awful but not quite top 10 awful:

The concept of Marshall refusing to fire someone and making up stupid ******ed "excuses" why ("I can run faster than a machine" ******** all over again)
GNB video bit
Horse head on kid's bed

Of course, where's the poop is generally brutal as well. It also annoyed me that Ted isn't doing the Slutty Pumkpin thing for Halloween any more, and that Randy's nose bled from different nostrils in different shots while at the bar, but I'll admit those things are pretty minor.
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-03-2010 , 01:14 PM
+1Fabian. couldnt agree more.
After posting the Angela nurse pic in the office thread, I couldn't let this one slip just in case I find a couple more, in which case I can solicitate a undertitle about posting hot nurse pics
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...&postcount=257

How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-03-2010 , 01:24 PM
They totally ruined that for me cuz of the diaper bit. **** CBS for letting that air.
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-03-2010 , 05:22 PM
I thought the car alarm bit with Ted and Robin was actually pretty funny but then using it in other situations was ******ed.
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-03-2010 , 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw2006
I thought the car alarm bit with Ted and Robin was actually pretty funny but then using it in other situations was ******ed.
it was ******ed because it's so completely unrealistic
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-04-2010 , 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHip41
it was ******ed because it's so completely unrealistic
1) There are scores of jokes on the show that aren't realistic at all that are very funny. Stuff like Robin Sparkles and 90% of the stuff Barney does.

2) The show is presented from the point of view of a subjective narrator so getting bogged down in details of hyper realism is completely futile.

I think it is perfectly reasonable not to find the joke funny but citing its lack of realism as a reason why is silly.
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-04-2010 , 01:06 AM
I just thought it was annoying and wanted the characters to stfu. Its amazing how this show went from great to taking a nose dive in quality.
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-04-2010 , 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw2006
1) There are scores of jokes on the show that aren't realistic at all that are very funny. Stuff like Robin Sparkles and 90% of the stuff Barney does.

2) The show is presented from the point of view of a subjective narrator so getting bogged down in details of hyper realism is completely futile.

I think it is perfectly reasonable not to find the joke funny but citing its lack of realism as a reason why is silly.

there are tons of guys like barney, and none of what he does is over the top ******ed.

no one in the history of the world has done the car alarm sound in tandem on cue without rehearsing it.

it was ******ed and completely unrealistic, where as barney dressing up as an old man to get a chick is at least plausible
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-04-2010 , 03:38 AM
to add to the car alarm sucked thing...the car alarm usage is rehashed (albeit differently) from s2e15: Lucky Penny. there it wasn't a way to get kids to shut up (which i agree seems moronic...are kindergarten kids actually scared of this?) but i feel like half of the humor of using it is the actors mimicking the alarm (which robin and lily did outside the wedding dress sale)...so i was most upset by the writers treating the viewers as morons.

which basically is the problem with this show. ever since they were really struggling for ratings and risking cancellation but britney spears basically saved them (i'm embellishing her worth but it did wonders for ratings). as an aside, i think jason segel's rise to fame with forgetting sarah marshall and NPH being an emmy nominated actor and all around kick-a$$ guy brought the show enough notoriety. but somewhere along the road the writers/producers realized that "where's the poop?" and "warm piss" actually get ratings. these gimmicks appealing to the lowest common denominator haven't made it the #1 comedy on tv, but the other stuff wasn't working for the network despite it being truly enjoyable/awesome tv.

for a show like community to survive, i think it would have to take a similar trajectory. and it sucks. if i were an actor on himym, i'd be furious i'm apart of such a sham. but i'd happily take the paycheck.
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-04-2010 , 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitreal
to add to the car alarm sucked thing...the car alarm usage is rehashed (albeit differently) from s2e15: Lucky Penny. there it wasn't a way to get kids to shut up (which i agree seems moronic...are kindergarten kids actually scared of this?) but i feel like half of the humor of using it is the actors mimicking the alarm (which robin and lily did outside the wedding dress sale)...so i was most upset by the writers treating the viewers as morons.

which basically is the problem with this show. ever since they were really struggling for ratings and risking cancellation but britney spears basically saved them (i'm embellishing her worth but it did wonders for ratings). as an aside, i think jason segel's rise to fame with forgetting sarah marshall and NPH being an emmy nominated actor and all around kick-a$$ guy brought the show enough notoriety. but somewhere along the road the writers/producers realized that "where's the poop?" and "warm piss" actually get ratings. these gimmicks appealing to the lowest common denominator haven't made it the #1 comedy on tv, but the other stuff wasn't working for the network despite it being truly enjoyable/awesome tv.

for a show like community to survive, i think it would have to take a similar trajectory. and it sucks. if i were an actor on himym, i'd be furious i'm apart of such a sham. but i'd happily take the paycheck.


in the read through

"you want me to say what ten times an episode?"

"you actually want us to do the car alarm in tandem for 10 seconds?"
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-04-2010 , 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHip41
it was ******ed because it's so completely unrealistic
this is an interesting request for a sit com. History Channel and Discovery aim for the non-fictional storylines.
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-04-2010 , 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cres
this is an interesting request for a sit com. History Channel and Discovery aim for the non-fictional storylines.
there is a difference between plausible and completely ******ed
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-04-2010 , 01:43 PM
???????, some of the best all time shows were formed on ******ed, unworkable, and far removed from reality premises. Talking horses, Gilligan's Island, and not to forget Zack Morris.
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-04-2010 , 01:48 PM
It has not much to do with realism for me (the 1st scene, the Ted using it in class was dumb) but I was cringing thewhole time feeling sorry/embarrased in the actors place.
I don't care if no one can insta do a caralarm in duet perfectly as long as it's funny, which it clearly wasn't.
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-04-2010 , 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cres
???????, some of the best all time shows were formed on ******ed, unworkable, and far removed from reality premises. Talking horses, Gilligan's Island, and not to forget Zack Morris.
we aren't talking about Heroes or Lost or Mr. Ed.

the show we are talking about is How I Met Your Mother. It's a show that centers on a group of friends that hang out in a bar and one meets a mother. There are no superpowers or time travel or Talking horses.

I would like to add, if that car alarm skit happened on lost or heroes or MR. Ed, it would be equally as ******ed, since people just don't do that. They also don't say "Where's the poop Robin" which is why that was so bad.

The whole idea of them doing the car alarm at the same time off the cuff is

1. ******ed
2. completely implausible

this show used to have good writing, but it's clear the writers have used up their good material and are just filling with crap so they stretch this out and get more $$$$
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-04-2010 , 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHip41
the show we are talking about is How I Met Your Mother. It's a show that centers on a group of friends that hang out in a bar and one meets a mother. There are no superpowers or time travel or Talking horses.
It's also a show where a guy admits to regularly exaggerating/changing the details of the stories he is telling. On a regular sitcom, you have an argument, although a ******ed one. On this show, you cannot argue that something like that is unrealistic.

You should probably stop eating sandwiches, IMO. It's killing your brain cells.

Last edited by DonkeyKongSr; 11-04-2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: In before rant about how calling joints sandwiches isn't the same thing as your argument.
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-04-2010 , 03:00 PM
got it now hip, you want to watch "Friends". And great post donkeykongsr, it really is a figment of Ted's imagination as the show goes on. He can recall anything, in anyway he wants, as he finishes his tall tale for his kids.
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-04-2010 , 03:19 PM
speaking of the kids...they seemed bored and annoyed to be sitting thru this himym story when the story was good...i would love it if they showed a clip of the couch and it was empty cuz they surely have left by now...
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-04-2010 , 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSr
It's also a show where a guy admits to regularly exaggerating/changing the details of the stories he is telling. On a regular sitcom, you have an argument, although a ******ed one. On this show, you cannot argue that something like that is unrealistic.

You should probably stop eating sandwiches, IMO. It's killing your brain cells.
even in a make believe story the car alarm thing is ******ed.
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-04-2010 , 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHip41
it was ******ed and completely unrealistic, where as barney dressing up as an old man to get a chick is at least plausible
How about the time he picked up a chick by claiming he was Neil Armstrong? Or a member of SNASA?
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-04-2010 , 03:47 PM
Quote:
1) There are scores of jokes on the show that aren't realistic at all that are very funny.
True of HIMYM and almost all other sitcoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHip41
even in a make believe story the car alarm thing is ******ed.
Yup, but the rest of the stuff you posted about it being somehow an outlier in the series due to not being realistic is plain wrong.
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-04-2010 , 03:53 PM
It's not about being realistic in our world, it's about being realistic in the universe of the show. Even for this show, these jokes fall flat because we don't really believe these characters are that stupid or lame. (Except for Ted maybe. )
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-04-2010 , 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bando
How about the time he picked up a chick by claiming he was Neil Armstrong? Or a member of SNASA?
this is foolish. for all we know, SNASA is real!
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote
11-04-2010 , 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bando
How about the time he picked up a chick by claiming he was Neil Armstrong? Or a member of SNASA?
so what you are saying is that it's unrealistic for a guy to claim he's something he's not to get laid.

yeah, that's never happened.


i will stipulate this, Barney goes to extremes to get girls, like old barney/future barney. It's probably not going to work, but you can at least imagine someone trying this.

I'm just asking you to look at the car alarm thing in a similar way, there is no way people do that.

I don't need everything to be realistic, but when i'm watching the show, when the characters are acting way out of character, i notice.


contrast the car alarms with Major Baggage


that joke works well, because even though it's corny, you can see a group of friends having a running gag like that. the car alarm, no
How I Met Your Mother: Season 6 Quote

      
m