Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2020, 04:56 PM   #526
abysmal01
old hand
 
abysmal01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,279
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

Like, if bullets should get sucked towards the ring as soon as they exceed 30 mph then that whole episode is nonsensical, right?
abysmal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:55 AM   #527
danspartan
Pooh-Bah
 
danspartan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,733
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

Just binged it all. Thought weakest actor was the lead but then read he’s supposed to be aloof* Otherwise loved the concept and enjoyed the show. Amos is a God. I would someday Love to see a sci-fi show completely without “magic”. Just a gritty earth/mars/belter reality with nothing from the outside.

Speed limits in meters per second not mph??

*for reference Casey affleck in Manchester Sea. Terrible acting. Same note every scene. Yet it was acclaimed.
danspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:28 AM   #528
Kurn, son of Mogh
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Rhode Island and Providence Plantat
Posts: 15,477
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by danspartan View Post
Just binged it all. Thought weakest actor was the lead but then read he’s supposed to be aloof* Otherwise loved the concept and enjoyed the show. Amos is a God. I would someday Love to see a sci-fi show completely without “magic”. Just a gritty earth/mars/belter reality with nothing from the outside.

Speed limits in meters per second not mph??

*for reference Casey affleck in Manchester Sea. Terrible acting. Same note every scene. Yet it was acclaimed.
IIRC (and apologies if this is from the books), the max speed in ring system was measured in kps, so it may have been 30 kps, which is about twice as fast as the New Horizons probe that sent back photos of Pluto (fastest thing to date ever launched).

At 30 kps you get from Earth to Mars in about 3 weeks, and I'm pretty sure in The Expanse universe, they go faster than that.

Space is really f'ing big.
Kurn, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #529
danspartan
Pooh-Bah
 
danspartan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,733
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

Kps is correct. Conventional bullets at 2500 FPS or .8 kps are far below the ring speed limit even if future bullets go faster.
danspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:51 PM   #530
Didace
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Didace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 16,306
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

Just finished S4. Finally got to it and did it in 4 nights. I thought it was excellent. Are there some holes from the books? Sure, but who cares? You'll never be able to follow the books faithfully with only about 7.5 hours of show a season.


I also don't get the hate for some of the actors. I think Holden is fine. He's not what I originally pictured when I read to books, but I'm coming around. I think he'd be much better without that crappy bears. And Chrisjen was always good, but she's so much better now that she doesn't have to worry about the censor.
Didace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:58 AM   #531
Kurn, son of Mogh
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Rhode Island and Providence Plantat
Posts: 15,477
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didace View Post
Just finished S4. Finally got to it and did it in 4 nights. I thought it was excellent. Are there some holes from the books? Sure, but who cares? You'll never be able to follow the books faithfully with only about 7.5 hours of show a season.


I also don't get the hate for some of the actors. I think Holden is fine. He's not what I originally pictured when I read to books, but I'm coming around. I think he'd be much better without that crappy bears. And Chrisjen was always good, but she's so much better now that she doesn't have to worry about the censor.
Go back and watch earlier seasons on Prime. They must have done alternative takes when the first 3 seasons were shot because the unacceptable words for Tier 1 cable are there on Prime for those seasons.

Also...

Spoiler:
Kurn, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:38 PM   #532
Jeremy517
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,522
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

Cas Anvar (Alex) accused of multiple counts of harassment and sexual assault
Jeremy517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:38 PM   #533
filthyvermin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
filthyvermin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wherever thers a cop beatinup a guy
Posts: 49,215
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

i think i pretty i much sh*t all over this show in earlier posts. i LOVE the books. i finally broke down and am giving the show a real chance. I LIKE IT! lol! but the cast is horrific. all the actors are terrible and/or miscast.

it's mind boggling that jared harris is in this. jared harris is a legit amazing actor. like i could easily see him winning the oscar for best actor. dude, is a real artist. and it's so wtf to see him in this lol

but, i am starting to like bobby draper more and more. im in the middle of season 2.

oh, and the space shots are great! especially the space battles.

fun show
filthyvermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:05 AM   #534
Kurn, son of Mogh
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Rhode Island and Providence Plantat
Posts: 15,477
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

I like each season better on a re-watch, since on the first watch, my brain is too focused on how the show differs from the books.

Plus, the special effects are great.

Making a book into a TV series requires changes, my favorite in spoilers below:

Spoiler:
Kurn, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:08 PM   #535
filthyvermin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
filthyvermin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wherever thers a cop beatinup a guy
Posts: 49,215
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

wow! this show is great!!! lol!

at first i was so against it because avisarila and bobby were TERRIBLE compared to how great they were in the books. and holden is one of the worst actors to ever be the lead in a show lol

BUT bobby has totally won me over! i love her! i love all the parts she is in! she is so great! she is such a hero in the books, but i might like tv bobby even better than book bobby!

i just started season 3. bobby and avisarila are fighting on the yacht
filthyvermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:55 PM   #536
filthyvermin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
filthyvermin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wherever thers a cop beatinup a guy
Posts: 49,215
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

damn. first episode with clarissa mao and ugh... she is so badly cast ugh. the character is supposed to be a kid, like maybe 20? or even younger? her youth is a huge part of her character and why she is making such awful choices. but the actress is in her 30s
filthyvermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #537
filthyvermin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
filthyvermin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wherever thers a cop beatinup a guy
Posts: 49,215
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyvermin View Post
damn. first episode with clarissa mao and ugh... she is so badly cast ugh. the character is supposed to be a kid, like maybe 20? or even younger? her youth is a huge part of her character and why she is making such awful choices. but the actress is in her 30s
if you are making terrible choices as a slave to your emotions when you are 19, that's completely different than doing the same thing at age 36. no way should they have ever cast someone so old to play someone so young. it completely changes her character and her story.
filthyvermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:06 PM   #538
filthyvermin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
filthyvermin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wherever thers a cop beatinup a guy
Posts: 49,215
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

damn!!! i only have one episode left. ugh! i don't want it to end. it seems to have gotten a little worse, but it's still far and away the best thing i have to watch right now.

in s4e9 holden actually did a decent job acting!!! he got way better from the beginning. i guess he learned some acting. sometimes that happens on a series. an actor will get better
filthyvermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:33 PM   #539
coordi
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
coordi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: On the shorter side
Posts: 20,894
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

I found season 1-3 to be even better on re-watch. I didn't have a background with the books though, so I think that played a big part. They really throw you in the middle of everything without a lifeline. Season 4 was a slog. I am not even sure I finished it. I fell asleep watching episodes more than 10x.
coordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:19 AM   #540
Kurn, son of Mogh
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Rhode Island and Providence Plantat
Posts: 15,477
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyvermin View Post
damn!!! i only have one episode left. ugh! i don't want it to end. it seems to have gotten a little worse, but it's still far and away the best thing i have to watch right now.

in s4e9 holden actually did a decent job acting!!! he got way better from the beginning. i guess he learned some acting. sometimes that happens on a series. an actor will get better
Every time you post about Steven Strait's acting, I want to re-watch Magic City to see what I think of him in that.
Kurn, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:48 AM   #541
filthyvermin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
filthyvermin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wherever thers a cop beatinup a guy
Posts: 49,215
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurn, son of Mogh View Post
I like each season better on a re-watch, since on the first watch, my brain is too focused on how the show differs from the books.

Plus, the special effects are great.

Making a book into a TV series requires changes, my favorite in spoilers below:

Spoiler:
re the spoiler, aren't you bummed to lose those characters though? i liked those characters in the books
filthyvermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:51 AM   #542
filthyvermin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
filthyvermin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wherever thers a cop beatinup a guy
Posts: 49,215
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

far and away the worst actor in the show is avisarala's husband. he's so bad that i love the scenes with him because they are so absurd! lol!!

it seems like even the directing in his scenes is awful, and i wonder if that's cuz maybe the director is trying to hide his bad acting lol
filthyvermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:50 PM   #543
Kurn, son of Mogh
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Rhode Island and Providence Plantat
Posts: 15,477
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyvermin View Post
re the spoiler, aren't you bummed to lose those characters though? i liked those characters in the books
Yeah, of course I am, but keeping them (and the side plots that includethem) would require 20 episode seasons.

Also:
Spoiler:
Kurn, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:52 PM   #544
Kurn, son of Mogh
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Rhode Island and Providence Plantat
Posts: 15,477
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyvermin View Post
far and away the worst actor in the show is avisarala's husband. he's so bad that i love the scenes with him because they are so absurd! lol!!

it seems like even the directing in his scenes is awful, and i wonder if that's cuz maybe the director is trying to hide his bad acting lol
Different actor in s4 than previous seasons.

Haven't heard anything new about the Cas Anvar legal issue. Not looking forward to a new Alex.
Kurn, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:56 PM   #545
karamazonk
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,093
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

Have only watched the show and something about the guy playing Alex has always tilted me. Won't be sad at all to see him go. I think I've posted about it before in some thread or other, but this show's casting is weird, several grand slams (Bobbie, Avarasala, Naomi, Drummer) and some seemingly huge whiffs (Holden, Alex, whatsherface from V who I can't stand in anything she's in).

Last edited by karamazonk; 08-15-2020 at 08:01 PM.
karamazonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:00 PM   #546
Kurn, son of Mogh
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Rhode Island and Providence Plantat
Posts: 15,477
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazonk View Post
Have only watched the show and something about the guy playing Alex has always tilted me. Won't be sad at all to see him go. I think I've posted about it before in some thread or other, but this show's casting is weird, several grand slams (Bobbie, Avarasala, Naomi, Drummer) and some seemingly huge whiffs (Holden, Alex, whatsherface from V who I can't stand in anything she's in).
if it's the weird attempt at a Texas drawl, that's straight out of the books.
Kurn, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:02 PM   #547
karamazonk
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,093
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurn, son of Mogh View Post
if it's the weird attempt at a Texas drawl, that's straight out of the books.
Lol, that's part of it. I dunno, I've just always found his character completely uninteresting and annoying.
karamazonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:29 PM   #548
filthyvermin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
filthyvermin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wherever thers a cop beatinup a guy
Posts: 49,215
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurn, son of Mogh View Post
Yeah, of course I am, but keeping them (and the side plots that includethem) would require 20 episode seasons.

Also:
Spoiler:

yeah good points. i guess i wish we had a few hundred episodes lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurn, son of Mogh View Post
Different actor in s4 than previous seasons.

Haven't heard anything new about the Cas Anvar legal issue. Not looking forward to a new Alex.
i wouldn't mind a new alex at all, especially considering the circumstances. that actor is lame imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazonk View Post
Have only watched the show and something about the guy playing Alex has always tilted me. Won't be sad at all to see him go. I think I've posted about it before in some thread or other, but this show's casting is weird, several grand slams (Bobbie, Avarasala, Naomi, Drummer) and some seemingly huge whiffs (Holden, Alex, whatsherface from V who I can't stand in anything she's in).
wow, i think avasarila and naomi are bad to meh. avisarila book is about 100x better than avisirala tv.

the avisarila actress gets tons of praise, and i never understood it. but even if i did get her, they should have cast an indian to play an indian, not an iranian. and maybe it's the limits of tv, but her cussing in the books is a huge part of her character, and on tv she barely cusses(relative to her book dialogue).

and naomi NAGATA is supposed to be part japanese iirc. and i understand the limits of showing how skinny belters are, but i can't help but be a little bugged that she is not skinny, and not asian. her acting is ok though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazonk View Post
Lol, that's part of it. I dunno, I've just always found his character completely uninteresting and annoying.
i think book alex is pretty meh too. the actor who plays him on tv is lame, so get a lame actor to play a meh character and this is the result.



and yes, im nitpicking lol
filthyvermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:31 PM   #549
filthyvermin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
filthyvermin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wherever thers a cop beatinup a guy
Posts: 49,215
Re: The Expanse- Basic Cable Game of Thrones in Space

oh, and i'm not sure if this has been discussed. but i read that they finished filming season 5! woo hoo!!! they finished it months ago. they said post production always takes a lot longer than normal for this show cuz of all the special effects. and with the pandemic it's delayed even more. so no release date, but it should be coming out at least.
filthyvermin is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online