Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #1576
UFO1947
Pooh-Bah
 
UFO1947's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NS Canada
Posts: 5,095
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

http://www.indiewire.com/article/tel...cleHeaderPanel


Quote:
Steve Buscemi's name still comes first in the credits -- and he got that final close-up in Sunday's season finale -- but three years in, there is no doubt about whose is the true face of "Boardwalk Empire." That'd be Richard Harrow (Jack Huston), the scarred, shoegazing World War I veteran who's like Batman and Harvey Dent rolled into one. In a kingdom where the major players are either morally blind or fatally near-sighted, the one-eyed man is, if not king, then at least a sort of dark knight errant.
Quote:
The question is whether "Boardwalk Empire" will need to engineer another fly in the ointment on the order of Gyp Rosetti -- a ridiculous character given more humour and gravitas than he probably deserved by Cannavale -- in order to keep things buzzing along. If Nucky is sincere in his desire to drop out of the public view (understandable for a guy who spent a lot of time worried that he'd be shot on sight) then maybe "Boardwalk Empire" will let somebody else assume center stage: it would be especially bold if it was the one guy left standing whose path doesn't have to tiptoe around matters of public record. Richard Harrow, come on down -- you're the best character on the most intermittently remarkable drama on television.
UFO1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #1577
StimAbuser
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
StimAbuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Shimmy Town
Posts: 8,822
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelson View Post
I know it's cool to see super assassins doing their thing, but the Harrow scene was pretty absurd.

Guy with one eye bursts in to an open space and shoots the **** out of 11 armed men coming at him from all directions? Too silly. He needed to be stealthier for it to be in any way believable to me, but clearly that's just me so whatever.

Pretty good finale overall, sets things up nicely.
Meh they're all drunk and confused and not ready at all. It takes awhile, especially when drunk, to recognize what's going on, process it, take out your gun if it's even on you and aim and shoot.

Also most of them panicked and tried to hide/flee. Easily believable that he picked em off like that.
StimAbuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #1578
Randal_Graves
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Randal_Graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: @tj_jurk
Posts: 10,128
She kills any hope of a future boner.

I got you bro.
Randal_Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #1579
Oski
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Oski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Anti-Vermin Seed
Posts: 13,261
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO1947 View Post
Sure, but Harrow's character is pretty limited. I believe if the show focused on him as the lead, it would go flat pretty quickly.
Oski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #1580
Hoya
veteran
 
Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,088
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

So after Nucky makes a deal with Masseria via Rothstein, he has all of Masseria's men killed . . . and then Capone goes back to Chicago. What would Nucky have done if Masseria decided to get revenge? Seems a little risky to just assume he'll let it go because you send the dead body of a guy he already abandoned a day or two later.
Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #1581
guivre1408
Pooh-Bah
 
guivre1408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,584
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

doesn't give a **** if richard's scene was absurd and unrealistic.

It was just a ****ing awesome killing spree
guivre1408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #1582
Dominic
Tripod
 
Dominic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vegas
Posts: 71,475
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoya View Post
So after Nucky makes a deal with Masseria via Rothstein, he has all of Masseria's men killed . . . and then Capone goes back to Chicago. What would Nucky have done if Masseria decided to get revenge? Seems a little risky to just assume he'll let it go because you send the dead body of a guy he already abandoned a day or two later.
Uh...Chalky?
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #1583
Bluegrassplayer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bluegrassplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: China
Posts: 36,556
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Nucky killing Masseeria's men doesn't make too much sense. Pretty sure they just wanted that scene of Chalky and Capone shotting up the cars together.
Bluegrassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #1584
Hoya
veteran
 
Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,088
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
Uh...Chalky?
Presumably Chaulky doesn't have the manpower that Masseria does.
Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #1585
KenoVictoryLap
veteran
 
KenoVictoryLap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Planning a trip
Posts: 3,303
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

He does now.

It's pretty clear after this episode that "an army" is 40 guys.
KenoVictoryLap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #1586
nath
the second coming of the second coming
 
nath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rust and Marty, a hundred years
Posts: 67,703
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Gonna be hard for Masseria to get revenge when so many of his guys are dead.
nath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #1587
Dids
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Social Justice War Room
Posts: 60,880
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

I usually love me some nits, but I think people are looking for specifics and numbers that this show just doesn't offer.

This is more the show that featured Richard's somewhat unrealistic but 1000000% awesome assault than it's deeply accurate historical fiction.
Dids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #1588
STA654
Here's some straight talk
 
STA654's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Has Katy Perry met her match?
Posts: 21,087
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

I'm guessing that Gyp was given a significant contingent of Masseria's 'army', and Nucky knows this.

Masseria will be busy regrouping in NYC (where things actually matter) and wouldn't try to send the rest of his men down to AC for 'vengeance' when he was the aggressor in the first place. Joe should be v happy to make peace, cut his losses, and go back to being the boss of NYC after losing a war.
STA654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #1589
hotdogfallacy
banned
 
hotdogfallacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,180
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

joe the boss is played by a solid actor
hotdogfallacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #1590
hotdogfallacy
banned
 
hotdogfallacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,180
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nath View Post
No, you're wrong about this. Chalky was pretty clear about wanting the exact opposite in episode 2. He may have developed more respect for his son-in-law's because of his willingness to stand by his principles as a doctor (to tend to the wounded regardless of circumstance), but at no point was he grooming him to be "gangster doctor". In fact, the son-in-law was still apprehensive about what he was going to be doing last episode.


haha
nimo he wanted the exact opposite in the episode 2. the guy is still apprehensive, because this is obviously the first time he was put in such situation. when did they get married?
hotdogfallacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #1591
WhoIam
Pooh-Bah
 
WhoIam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: ☭
Posts: 5,050
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
Just to add to these points, we all knew Richard was gonna go all vigilante. They've shown his gun skills well this season, what happens when he does get angered, and his arsenal at the end of last week's episode.

Also, not just a professional soldier, but a very good marksman. Richard's reaction times and accuracy will be a hell of a lot faster and more precise than some guys who have way less skill and experience with a weapon. Richard has actually faced death an has been in hand to hand battles, it's very possible that most of Gyp's men have never been in anything like that.
I really enjoyed the scene, but on rewatching it realized it was kind of silly. In the war he was a sniper and his job was to sneak behind enemy lines, wait patiently for an opportunity to kill someone important, then sneak away. This is his area of expertise, not close-quarters combat. While he's obviously skilled with firearms, in this episode he turns into Jason ****ing Bourne, effortlessly switching between weapons like he's playing a first-person shooter.

Again, I enjoyed it, but enjoyed it the same way I enjoy action scenes from John Woo movies.
WhoIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #1592
MrAdvantage
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoya View Post
So after Nucky makes a deal with Masseria via Rothstein, he has all of Masseria's men killed . . . and then Capone goes back to Chicago. What would Nucky have done if Masseria decided to get revenge? Seems a little risky to just assume he'll let it go because you send the dead body of a guy he already abandoned a day or two later.
I would think, even as powerful as JM, was, 40+ dead button men is a considerable blow . He also was comfortable fighting when giving up the home field advantage
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #1593
MrAdvantage
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Did mazzeria's accent tilt anyone else besides me ? More gringo than dago, but not nearly as bad as the Ukrainian mob boss in dexter who sounded straight out of Sydney .
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #1594
The Rainmaker
banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Me> 5 Syndicates
Posts: 153
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIgnorantRacist View Post
Did mazzeria's accent tilt anyone else besides me ? More gringo than dago, but not nearly as bad as the Ukrainian mob boss in dexter who sounded straight out of London .
fyp
The Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #1595
Pudge714
Modding All Day
 
Pudge714's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Frazier >>>>> Chilly
Posts: 39,104
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

My complaints in the Homeland thread could easily be thrown back in my face here, but if you think hyper-stylized violence is too unrealistic, this might not be the show for you. I am torn between disliking the lack of creativity present in constantly aping of Scorsese's visual style and realizing that given most TV shows are shot poorly a Scorsese facsimile is borderline elite TV cinematography.
Pudge714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #1596
Hoya
veteran
 
Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,088
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAdvantage View Post
I would think, even as powerful as JM, was, 40+ dead button men is a considerable blow . He also was comfortable fighting when giving up the home field advantage
I was assuming Masseria's "army" was low triple digits and he would seek revenge for getting betrayed like that, even if just an assassination. If he was in fact far weaker than that it could make sense, I suppose.
Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #1597
StimAbuser
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
StimAbuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Shimmy Town
Posts: 8,822
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Lot's of people unfamiliar with combat underestimating how possible Ricahrds scene was ITT.

Gyps guys were all likely drunk and confused and disorganized and unready. With the confusion of Masseria's people leaving, they probably thought it was Nuckys full force coming through the door. So when Richard bursts threw the door and starts capping fools in the head, most people are going to run. They aren't trained soliders, they're gangsters. You can see most people flee like chickens with their heads cut off. Once people start retreating it causes mass panic and most people are easy pickings.

Not even that far fetched, you guys are just huge whales in these matters imo. There are countless examples of few taking out many in combat because the element of surprise and unorganized people fleeing and panicking. Even examples of single soldiers taking out 40+ people in the field all at once.
StimAbuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #1598
nath
the second coming of the second coming
 
nath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rust and Marty, a hundred years
Posts: 67,703
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdogfallacy View Post
nimo he wanted the exact opposite in the episode 2. the guy is still apprehensive, because this is obviously the first time he was put in such situation. when did they get married?
They haven't; I guess "pending son-in-law" is more accurate? I'm still not sure what you're talking about with episode 2-- it seems pretty evident that Chalky is trying to protect his daughter from the reality of his lifestyle and doesn't want either of them at his club.
nath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:31 AM   #1599
TheRempel
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TheRempel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: twitch.tv/therempel
Posts: 7,281
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

They made a point of showing that most of Gyp's men were extremely drunk. They drank all the alcohol in a brothel FFS.
TheRempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:55 AM   #1600
Michaelson
Pooh-Bah
 
Michaelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,375
Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Perfectly happy to believe I'm a whale, or even just a fish, in these matters. I've never held a gun that wasn't an antique.

I doubt many soldiers who have taken out 40+ people in the field have done so from such an exposed position though. I don't mind that he took a bunch of guys out early, but that he strolled through the joint in such a cavalier manner, while no one took a shot at him until they were in his line of fire first, looked completely absurd to me.

Not really trying to nit, I like the idea of the scene and I was tense throughout, but it took me way out of it while watching.
Michaelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive