Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2015, 12:28 AM   #6426
jcohen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 37,804
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingyman View Post
Yes, I do. I haven't said that Vanessa is not being hypocritical or that hurt feelings didn't impact her vote. We are discussing how and why she is rationalizing the decision. I am adamant that it in large part has to do with her subjective and unique perception of Steve as being her underling and as being out of the loop of her actual main alliance (which, for the latter part, Liz wasn't, which is the main point).
this is very similar to me saying she didn't want to be thought of as outplayed by steve
jcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:30 AM   #6427
eaglesfaan
grinder
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cali
Posts: 456
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTChess View Post
I feel like what I've heard on RHAP and other people watching live feeds all summer, it was really more than anything just Vanessa voting for Liz because she's a girl, and Steve isn't.
I believe this too. She was a lock vote for Liz for nothing game wise.
eaglesfaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:30 AM   #6428
Thingyman
Born This Way
 
Thingyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: the twilight zone
Posts: 30,464
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingyman View Post
fair enough, agree to disagree

as someone who's played online versions of Big Brother and Survivor 6+ times, I find it very easy to understand someone being inclined to award the win to the alliance member who was more in the loop over the person who you included as a tertiary alliance member and was actively tricking to believe they weren't so... Like, your whole mindset towards that person very quickly becomes formed to be "he's my pawn, he's a floater I'm taking advantage of". I feel really strongly that she had such a perception of Steve and that that's how she rationalized her decision.

edit: And to be clear, this mindset could've been compounded (I'm Danish, but I think that's the word) by what you're saying here too... That he considered himself a gameplayer. It could've been offputting to her and she would've certainly at least wanted to present her side of things of how he wasn't as much of a gameplayer as he presented himself as.

To be clear, I disagree with her vote, but I find it easy to understand it.
Regarding the similarity, I pointed this out here. Not sure if you quoted this before the edit.
Thingyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:31 AM   #6429
jcohen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 37,804
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTChess View Post
I feel like what I've heard on RHAP and other people watching live feeds all summer, it was really more than anything just Vanessa voting for Liz because she's a girl, and Steve isn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfaan View Post
I believe this too. She was a lock vote for Liz for nothing game wise.
this does little to raise my respect for vanessa
jcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:33 AM   #6430
Thingyman
Born This Way
 
Thingyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: the twilight zone
Posts: 30,464
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

I would be surprised and would lose a lot of respect for Vanessa if that is how she is to rationalize her vote for Liz, whether publicly or in her own head (the feminist argument) :P

And would lose even more respect if it was genuine
Thingyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:33 AM   #6431
jcohen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 37,804
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingyman View Post
Regarding the similarity, I pointed this out here. Not sure if you quoted this before the edit.
the problem is, when its final 2 you aren't voting for the ideal player or the best player of the season. you are voting for the best of the two players who are still standing. Vanessa simply did not do that, and that's why I'm justifiably losing respect for her (as I do with all bitter jurors on BB/Survivor ever)
jcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:35 AM   #6432
jcohen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 37,804
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

I actually lose more respect for Vanessa compared to most bitter jurors, because she prides herself on being a ferocious game player and someone who can step back and view things very rationally and logically

So the fact she couldn't do that tonight is entirely disappointing. I would've applauded her class this episode had she voted steve (combined with the rest of the way she exited), but it just didn't happen.
jcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:37 AM   #6433
jcohen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 37,804
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

Also voting someone to win solely because they are female has nothing to do with feminism, but that's another topic.
jcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:38 AM   #6434
Thingyman
Born This Way
 
Thingyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: the twilight zone
Posts: 30,464
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcohen View Post
the problem is, when its final 2 you aren't voting for the ideal player or the best player of the season. you are voting for the best of the two players who are still standing. Vanessa simply did not do that, and that's why I'm justifiably losing respect for her (as I do with all bitter jurors on BB/Survivor ever)
As someone who's twice lost a game like this due to a bitter jury, I am all the way with you :P

but I still think there are mitigating factors here and I'm expressing that I can understand it moreso than the more standard bitter juror (the puppet who got played by the puppeteer and refusing to acknowledge it, which I don't classify this as and I can see why Vanessa would be immediately offput by the notion and vote opposite of it)
Thingyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:40 AM   #6435
Thingyman
Born This Way
 
Thingyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: the twilight zone
Posts: 30,464
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcohen View Post
I actually lose more respect for Vanessa compared to most bitter jurors, because she prides herself on being a ferocious game player and someone who can step back and view things very rationally and logically

So the fact she couldn't do that tonight is entirely disappointing. I would've applauded her class this episode had she voted steve (combined with the rest of the way she exited), but it just didn't happen.
I'm not sure if part of this is that you're maybe overestimating Steve (imo)

To me, this wasn't a Boston Rob vs puppet final 2 or Derrick vs Cody final 2 or anything. Not even remotely close.
Thingyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:43 AM   #6436
jcohen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 37,804
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

let me be clear: I'm not rating steve high so much as I'm rating Liz low. Steve at least played the game and had his strategic moments. Liz had no clue, and even worse she couldn't even articulate anything for why she should win at the end. She was essentially ginamarie
jcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:45 AM   #6437
jcohen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 37,804
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingyman View Post
As someone who's twice lost a game like this due to a bitter jury, I am all the way with you :P

but I still think there are mitigating factors here and I'm expressing that I can understand it moreso than the more standard bitter juror (the puppet who got played by the puppeteer and refusing to acknowledge it, which I don't classify this as and I can see why Vanessa would be immediately offput by the notion and vote opposite of it)
I will grant you this hypothetical since it's fairly analogous IMO

If Ian voted out dan instead of danielle on whatever season that was

I suppose it's possible dan would've voted danielle to win
jcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:46 AM   #6438
jcohen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 37,804
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

It's actually quite remarkable how similar Ian and steve's games were
jcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:48 AM   #6439
Thingyman
Born This Way
 
Thingyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: the twilight zone
Posts: 30,464
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

She's a horrible speaker and that's a minus that should be considered, but it certainly shouldn't negate all the actual decisions and actions and results that she took and achieved. I think it's being too elitist and focused on a specific type of intelligence and articulation skills if we're letting that weigh too heavily on how we're judging the 90 or so days that someone played a game previous to those skills coming into play during the final moments.

It's a house, it's a social game, and it's a game with competitions. She got into the house, got herself positioned well socially, had shields, won competitions, was actually very good at letting things go and being a voice of reason within the alliance and ensuring that -EV routes weren't taken (such as taking out Vanessa). Liz reached final 2. I wouldn't rank her low.

edit: meaning I wouldn't rank her low as a BB player, as for 2nd place players I have no idea, I've only watched half the seasons
Thingyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:50 AM   #6440
Umcle Diddler
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,834
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

No sign of Vanessa yet in the backyard at all. Only people Jeff has yet to interview are her, Steve, the twins and Austin but they are being interviewed by others.

Any chance Vanessa is refusing to do post show interviews?
Umcle Diddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:51 AM   #6441
YeahYou
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,285
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

Did Ian have no clue the first half of the game? Not even attacking Steve just don't remember how on the outs Ian was. Until yesterday Vanessa was still explaining alliances and relationships from the first half of the game to Steve and he had no idea half of them existed.
YeahYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:54 AM   #6442
YeahYou
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,285
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umcle Diddler View Post
No sign of Vanessa yet in the backyard at all. Only people Jeff has yet to interview are her, Steve, the twins and Austin but they are being interviewed by others.

Any chance Vanessa is refusing to do post show interviews?
Final 3 have to go through debriefing and things.
YeahYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:54 AM   #6443
jcohen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 37,804
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

Ian was extremely awkward at the start of his season, the same way Steve was. In fact he was saved by boogie through the coach's twist one of the earlier weeks when he would've arguably went home (Steve also could've went home if he didn't win his first BoB)

Then they were both the bottom of a large alliance headed by someone who pissed a lot of people off (dan/Vanessa). Their only difference was their final decision, but it worked out for both of them.
jcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:56 AM   #6444
eaglesfaan
grinder
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cali
Posts: 456
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcohen View Post
let me be clear: I'm not rating steve high so much as I'm rating Liz low. Steve at least played the game and had his strategic moments.
I just don't really see Steve having any strategic moments besides evicting Vanessa. The HOH's he won were run by Vanessa. Besides those two HOH's where Vanessa dicated his nom's he didn't have any influence on the game.

I'm not saying Liz was any good either though. She wasn't strategic and didn't have very many original thoughts herself either. Very few people in this cast were capable of thinking for themselves.
eaglesfaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:57 AM   #6445
jcohen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 37,804
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingyman View Post
She's a horrible speaker and that's a minus that should be considered, but it certainly shouldn't negate all the actual decisions and actions and results that she took and achieved. I think it's being too elitist and focused on a specific type of intelligence and articulation skills if we're letting that weigh too heavily on how we're judging the 90 or so days that someone played a game previous to those skills coming into play during the final moments.

It's a house, it's a social game, and it's a game with competitions. She got into the house, got herself positioned well socially, had shields, won competitions, was actually very good at letting things go and being a voice of reason within the alliance and ensuring that -EV routes weren't taken (such as taking out Vanessa). Liz reached final 2. I wouldn't rank her low.

edit: meaning I wouldn't rank her low as a BB player, as for 2nd place players I have no idea, I've only watched half the seasons

My anti-Liz argument is that she wasn't responsible for her good positioning behind shields in the same way Steve was. For her, it was more just a matter of happenstance. She really didn't actively make moves on her own, it all just went through austin. I mean austin was coaching her on how to play the first couple weeks; she knew nothing about the show. She was gonna go on the block in week 2 if austin didn't convince Shelli to put up meg as the pawn next to Davonne, and it's very possible Liz would've been evicted over Davonne. She also was not the voice of reason within her alliance at all - Julia was the one who was adamantly against turning on Vanessa, not Liz. Liz was willing to do it because austin was
jcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:57 AM   #6446
eaglesfaan
grinder
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cali
Posts: 456
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

lol Austin is still bitter. Good stuff.
eaglesfaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:00 AM   #6447
TimTimSalabim
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TimTimSalabim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winning
Posts: 14,061
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahYou View Post
Final 3 have to go through debriefing and things.
I see Steve and Liz outside though, no sign of Vanessa

Last edited by TimTimSalabim; 09-24-2015 at 01:05 AM. Reason: oh there she is n/m
TimTimSalabim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:01 AM   #6448
jcohen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 37,804
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfaan View Post
I just don't really see Steve having any strategic moments besides evicting Vanessa. The HOH's he won were run by Vanessa. Besides those two HOH's where Vanessa dicated his nom's he didn't have any influence on the game.

I'm not saying Liz was any good either though. She wasn't strategic and didn't have very many original thoughts herself either. Very few people in this cast were capable of thinking for themselves.
I don't think we have any evidence, unless I missed it, that Vanessa was behind Steve's double eviction HOH when he took out Jackie.

And also if you listened to him talking to the camera or read his HOH blog, it's clear he had a much better understanding of the game than he was letting on to others.

And of course the bar is pretty low, because Liz didn't do anything.
jcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:02 AM   #6449
Thingyman
Born This Way
 
Thingyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: the twilight zone
Posts: 30,464
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcohen View Post
My anti-Liz argument is that she wasn't responsible for her good positioning behind shields in the same way Steve was. For her, it was more just a matter of happenstance. She really didn't actively make moves on her own, it all just went through austin. I mean austin was coaching her on how to play the first couple weeks; she knew nothing about the show. She was gonna go on the block in week 2 if austin didn't convince Shelli to put up meg as the pawn next to Davonne, and it's very possible Liz would've been evicted over Davonne. She also was not the voice of reason within her alliance at all - Julia was the one who was adamantly against turning on Vanessa, not Liz. Liz was willing to do it because austin was
fair enough to the last counterpoint, I had no idea, that does lower my opinion of her game, #twinracism
Thingyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:03 AM   #6450
JB91
veteran
 
JB91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brrap Brrap Pew Pew
Posts: 3,106
Re: Big Brother 17 -- Premieres Wednesday June 24th on CBS @ 8pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfaan View Post
I just don't really see Steve having any strategic moments besides evicting Vanessa. The HOH's he won were run by Vanessa. Besides those two HOH's where Vanessa dicated his nom's he didn't have any influence on the game.

I'm not saying Liz was any good either though. She wasn't strategic and didn't have very many original thoughts herself either. Very few people in this cast were capable of thinking for themselves.
Lol pretty sure he didn't even talk to Vanessa for his first HoH. There was also the time that he made the alliance with John and the Austwins when it was looking like Vanessa was going to be the target but she of course won veto that week.
JB91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive