Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #326
Kurn, son of Mogh
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Rhode Island and Providence Plantat
Posts: 15,664
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC11GTR View Post
Anyone think we'll see Hank this season?
If IMDB full cast list is any predictor, then no. It lists Tuco in 2 episodes, Nacho in 10, Mike in 10. No other BrBa characters listed that I can see.

Obv if it's a cameo or background shot they wouldn't be listed.

OTOH, BCS will do better to become its own show rather than rely on being a BrBa retrospective. That part of the show will always be there, but in the background. The show will succeed or fail on its own unique merits. if it always has to rely on an overt BrBa connection, it won't last.
Kurn, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:56 AM   #327
Stinky Stu
Pooh-Bah
 
Stinky Stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: On the back nine.
Posts: 4,193
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
While watching the episode, I thought the guy in the rear car may be Huell.

It seems the driver is intentionally being put in the frame but also intentionally obscured.





However, I'm not sure this guy is big enough.
I thought the same thing. Maybe they're just teasing us, but I thought it was pretty cool.
Stinky Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:29 PM   #328
Edge34
Peyton Manning Fanboy
 
Edge34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,581
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by housenuts View Post
If the show gets good ratings, which it seems to, they are going to want to drag it out for as long as possible. They can't catch up to BB time too fast or introduce too many BB characters too early.
Agree, but Gilligan also probably had a blank check to keep BrBa going as long as he wanted, and kept it to 5 seasons to tell the story he wanted.

Based on how it's starting off, I don't know that this show even needs Walt or Jesse to succeed. We probably get them eventually just because why not, but I don't think Gilligan shoehorns anything in at the expense of his plan.
Edge34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:55 PM   #329
Exitonly
Ray of Hope
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In Play, (runs)
Posts: 17,722
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurn, son of Mogh View Post
If IMDB full cast list is any predictor, then no....


i can't be the only one that avoids looking at imdb of current shows (except for specific episode pages) for this reason.
Exitonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:57 PM   #330
antneye
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
antneye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fighting for my right to play poker
Posts: 6,881
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

Early Jesse cooking method before Walt seems like a chip shot to work into an episode or two, if even as a throwaway extra.
antneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #331
Tuma
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Tuma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: A doghouse
Posts: 14,828
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

entertaining. but not on the level of BrBa. fun plot but hardly anything has happened. and unrealistic Mike would "befriend" Saul like that.
Tuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:23 PM   #332
nunnehi
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,531
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

I wasn't aware Mike and Saul were "friends" in the Breaking Bad universe. Mike is probably dying to get back in the action, and that's the opening he needs for them to start a relationship. Remember, unless I missed something or forgot about it the relationship hasn't even started yet, he just didn't press charges.

I really enjoyed the first season of Breaking Bad, but this show is definitely off to a better start overall than that one for entirely different reasons. This one just has a lower ceiling than Breaking Bad did, but even that might not be true as this gives Gilligan a chance to make a huge story out of something that was barely mined in BB.
nunnehi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:17 PM   #333
Party
adept
 
Party's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,075
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuma View Post
unrealistic Mike would "befriend" Saul like that.
It couldn't have been more realistic. I mean, Mike initially sees Saul as a self-serving, annoying jackass who can't even remember the goddamn stickers. That's ALL he gets from their interactions at the parking booth. This all changes when he sees how Saul acts with the detectives -- choosing to risk his own career by taking the assault charges, rather than turn on his own client, changes everything Mike knows about Saul. He sees that he's A) an honorable guy in general (although Saul is ultimately driven by self-interest b/c of the whole Nacho situation, Mike doesn't know that), and B) he's smart enough to question the narrative on the Kettleman case... AND Mike believes the alternative Saul proposes based on his own life experience. You think Mike wouldn't immediately respect Saul after this? That's textbook Mike. It's one of the few ways a guy like him COULD establish a relationship with some rando guy.
Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:02 AM   #334
steamraise
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
steamraise's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: out of position
Posts: 7,978
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

Is getting the Kettleman's and the money back to civilization gonna go smooth for Saul?
steamraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:52 AM   #335
nunnehi
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,531
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

It should be lol.
nunnehi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:47 AM   #336
youtalkfunny
dumbest smart person his mom knows
 
youtalkfunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: I can't believe it, either!
Posts: 21,758
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

I don't think Mike took Saul's side because he liked him (he doesn't), or because he believed him (he hadn't even considered that question until Saul put it to him directly).

Mike took Saul's side because he REALLY didn't like those two cops. They said something that made his face change instantly (can't recall exactly), and Mike was clearly thinking that these two are just like the jerks he knew on the Philly PD. "I don't want to press charges," wasn't a vote for Saul, it was a vote against these two guys. Mike meant it when he told Saul "You should quit while you're ahead," he wasn't looking to sign up with Team Saul...err, Jimmy.
youtalkfunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:10 AM   #337
VTChess
Pooh-Bah
 
VTChess's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Queen Victoria
Posts: 5,839
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitonly View Post


i can't be the only one that avoids looking at imdb of current shows (except for specific episode pages) for this reason.
Yeah, I wish that had been in spoilers at least. I don't want to know who is or isn't going to be popping up in Season 1
VTChess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:54 AM   #338
Soncy
Pooh-Bah
 
Soncy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Homeward Bound
Posts: 5,372
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party View Post
It couldn't have been more realistic. I mean, Mike initially sees Saul as a self-serving, annoying jackass who can't even remember the goddamn stickers. That's ALL he gets from their interactions at the parking booth. This all changes when he sees how Saul acts with the detectives -- choosing to risk his own career by taking the assault charges, rather than turn on his own client, changes everything Mike knows about Saul. He sees that he's A) an honorable guy in general (although Saul is ultimately driven by self-interest b/c of the whole Nacho situation, Mike doesn't know that), and B) he's smart enough to question the narrative on the Kettleman case... AND Mike believes the alternative Saul proposes based on his own life experience. You think Mike wouldn't immediately respect Saul after this? That's textbook Mike. It's one of the few ways a guy like him COULD establish a relationship with some rando guy.
There was also an element of Mike not appreciating the two cop douches trying to use him for their ends. I suspect he didn't terribly respect those two guys, and didn't believe they respected him.

Oops, yeah, what youtalkfunny said.
Soncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:19 AM   #339
Roy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 7,447
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by youtalkfunny View Post
I don't think Mike took Saul's side because he liked him (he doesn't), or because he believed him (he hadn't even considered that question until Saul put it to him directly).

Mike took Saul's side because he REALLY didn't like those two cops. They said something that made his face change instantly (can't recall exactly), and Mike was clearly thinking that these two are just like the jerks he knew on the Philly PD. "I don't want to press charges," wasn't a vote for Saul, it was a vote against these two guys. Mike meant it when he told Saul "You should quit while you're ahead," he wasn't looking to sign up with Team Saul...err, Jimmy.
+1 that's exactly how i interpreted it. pretty sure one of the detectives like condescendingly patted him or grabbed his arm and that's what really made his face change instantly.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:50 AM   #340
Tuma
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Tuma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: A doghouse
Posts: 14,828
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

It's good to build Mike's character in any way I suppose. Plus he's always been aloof. I guess it works.

Last edited by Tuma; 02-21-2015 at 06:55 AM.
Tuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #341
Stinky Stu
Pooh-Bah
 
Stinky Stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: On the back nine.
Posts: 4,193
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

I don't see how we can not see Jesse at some point. He's the one who introduced Walt to Saul at the mall, so he knew him before BB events.
Stinky Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:12 AM   #342
bbfg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
bbfg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 12,172
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

Just caught up. Great 3 episodes. From a quality point-of-view this is really close to Breaking Bad, but Breaking Bad's theme and atmosphere was way more my cup of tea than this. Still I am enjoying it a lot, and after watching the trailer I was ready to hate it.

Mike might have had multiple reasons, the cops clearly were treating him like an old useless guy they could manipulate for their benefits, which obv made him pissed off. But I also think he really believed Saul's story and he didn't want to help ****ty cops follow up wrong leads. Mike will end up working for Saul in this show, so it makes sense that Mike will start to respect Saul soon.
bbfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:15 PM   #343
cobrakai111
Pooh-Bah
 
cobrakai111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brookline, MA (now Sydney)
Posts: 3,948
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by housenuts View Post
If the show gets good ratings, which it seems to, they are going to want to drag it out for as long as possible. They can't catch up to BB time too fast or introduce too many BB characters too early.
Even if they catch up, they always can flash forward to Omaha and start a new world post Walter White and have Odenkirk reinvent himself again.
cobrakai111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #344
Bode-ist
solidly average
 
Bode-ist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: slow motion
Posts: 4,705
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

When was the first time we see Saul in BB?
Bode-ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #345
CubicZirconia
old hand
 
CubicZirconia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,229
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bode-ist View Post
When was the first time we see Saul in BB?
Badger gets arrested in Season 2 and Saul represents him.
CubicZirconia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:44 PM   #346
lonely_but_rich
ɔarpal \ʇunnel
 
lonely_but_rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wearing a suit
Posts: 22,593
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

"You don't want a criminal lawyer, you want a criminal lawyer."
lonely_but_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:23 PM   #347
Melkerson
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,015
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfg View Post
Just caught up. Great 3 episodes. From a quality point-of-view this is really close to Breaking Bad, but Breaking Bad's theme and atmosphere was way more my cup of tea than this. Still I am enjoying it a lot, and after watching the trailer I was ready to hate it.

Mike might have had multiple reasons, the cops clearly were treating him like an old useless guy they could manipulate for their benefits, which obv made him pissed off. But I also think he really believed Saul's story and he didn't want to help ****ty cops follow up wrong leads. Mike will end up working for Saul in this show, so it makes sense that Mike will start to respect Saul soon.
Unlike a lot of people here, I only watched BB once, so I have forgotten some things. However, as I recall, in BB, Mike worked for Gus not Saul. Saul might convey Gus' orders to Mike, but at the end of the day Saul was never really Mike's boss in any real sense. At least that's how I remember it. Am I wrong?
Melkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:12 AM   #348
bazooka87
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
bazooka87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mickmacking
Posts: 20,211
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

Breaking Bad S2 spoilers below:

Spoiler:
bazooka87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:18 AM   #349
CubicZirconia
old hand
 
CubicZirconia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,229
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

There should be a vote on whether BB plot points discussed in this thread should be put in spoilers. Since 99% of the people who visit this thread have likely seen BB, I vote no.
CubicZirconia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:26 AM   #350
Halstad
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Halstad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,563
Re: Better Call Saul: Premieres on Feb 8/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkerson View Post
Unlike a lot of people here, I only watched BB once, so I have forgotten some things. However, as I recall, in BB, Mike worked for Gus not Saul. Saul might convey Gus' orders to Mike, but at the end of the day Saul was never really Mike's boss in any real sense. At least that's how I remember it. Am I wrong?
Mike was Saul's PI. I wouldn't call Saul Mike's "boss," but he definitely worked for him.
Halstad is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive