Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

High Stakes PL Omaha Discussion of 2/4 and above pot-limit Omaha poker

View Poll Results: Should PLO and NLHE be treated separately?
Yes, they should be treated as two different games. 414 96.50%
No, they should be treated as the same game for all issues. 15 3.50%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #76
NhAnd...
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 248
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

+1, nothing more to add. Agree 100% with blopp and napsus.

Fast tables are horrible. It's a fact that tables tend to break bc of running out of timebank. Im one of the few regs that start tables with anyone from 2/4 to 10/20, but I NEVER start fast tables. Because of the time-to-act/timebank issue. Pokerstars better do something about it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder10 View Post
If not could there be an idea, that lets say 1 hour of each day(or whatever) players sit out to demonstrate? Could this be a way to get stars to listen?
would be willing to do this aswell. whatever it takes

-DonkPredator
NhAnd... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #77
YaAaRnY
grinder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 508
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

sitting out isnt a good idea , last time they just banned everyones account for a day or so.

i was just 13 tabling with 2 fast tables, had to leave the fast tables because i was playing too slow , if all the tables are gonna be like that my sne plans gone out the window
YaAaRnY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #78
Mig
veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Flopping like a sucker
Posts: 2,933
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaAaRnY View Post
if all the tables are gonna be like that my sne plans gone out the window
Mines are. Time to move on. After 4 x SNE. I needed a break from PS/PLO anyway. Just the kick in the butt I needed. I barely have 25k vpp right now and grinding is too much of a pain. It's way more difficult to play a lot of table than it once was. Tables are way tougher than 2-3 years ago, we now get 70%~ of the vpp we used to get and now the table speed is def going to affect the play.
Mig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #79
LifeWithFaceCards
centurion
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: tumblr
Posts: 194
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blopp View Post
Thanks even its Napsus deserving all credit. Please mods remove link to his twitter if its against the rules.

I agree orestto. It can easily be win-win for Pokerstars and players if they grow it more sustainable and as PBJaxx says I think PLO can be a lasting game for years. Pokerstars just have to think about the longrun not only shortterm profit.



I cant disagree more, this is completely untrue for highstakes games at least. Look at ziigmund for 10 hands if you dont believe me.

Its def supercomplex preflop, especially deep and multiway pots.



Totally agree. I do think they get most bored preflop since its least exciting to 'rail from the table', but I belive solution is to punish abusers/slowest %s of the regpool not to punish everyone incl superninjas like Oddsen.



I support this wholeheartedly. I know there have been proposals to Pokerstars of a big sunday PLO mtt. Could easily market this heavily and hope to convert these people into cash players.

Also believe they need a new Isil to spark action. Whatabout some of the oldschool europros like devilfish, the dutch guy or samfarha, #dreaming. Out of the current online guys I guess it have to be a splashy action creating person with good etiquette that play lots of steady volume and games forms around.

Out of Pokerstars pros I would love to see DN (played some pre xmas), Selbst (she made PLO training vids right?) and Mercier (that was hell of a though midstakePLO reg back in the days as treysfull afaik) get incentived to play more highstakes to market online cash PLO better. Also they should like to show us online players that they can give a fight, as DN def did in NLHE 6max.


PS in the Open Discussion: Ratholing, Table/Seat Selecting and More! , where they annoyingly lump NLHE/PLO together they consider removing table selection it seems. I strongly disagree with this, and as some argue it might make SSPLO downright unbeatable since tableselecting is needed to overcome the gross rake. Since Pokerstars started that thread, its probarly not dumb to voice that PLO should not be threathed the same as NLHE (100% of 48 votes agree atm) there as well, along with what you think is the biggest issues for online PLO cash games.
LifeWithFaceCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #80
Nakamator
grinder
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Guessing game
Posts: 565
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

This is an awesome thread and like everyone else I appreciate all the efforts everyone is putting on it.

I didnt have much to add either, so decided to do some "homework".

I compared the lobbies from both variants for four different stakes and calculated the average pot for the games running. Results you can see here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...WJnNkJCdTV3SXc

I obviously know thats no news for you guys. Wanted to do that more like out of curiosity (specially my own lol), but I really wanted to add something so thats what I could come up with to contribute So conclusions Ill leave up to you guys cause I gotta go to bed (and also because I had the post pretty much done and closed the window by mistake so have even less time now lol).

1 VERY important note tho. Please notice that for NL50 and 100 (check images below), the tables with the lowest average pot were not included in the spreadsheet cause I couldnt add them all in the print screen. So the average pots for those limits are actually significantly lower.

PS1: I might have missed some rows during the process, sorry about that









Nakamator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #81
SEABEAST
Pooh-Bah
 
SEABEAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,676
+1 to everything, by far the biggest issue is rake, particularly at low stakes. PLO sustainability measures need to catch up to its popularity.
SEABEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:34 AM   #82
GoGetaRealJob
QuadMasterSupreme
 
GoGetaRealJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: FIN, coaching/blogging/tweeting
Posts: 7,072
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

I'd really love to see some hard data on stake mobility, how many players are able to beat micro PLO pre-RB. If the great majority of deposits are wasted on micro PLO rake, the economy is not sustainable.

Every couple weeks someone in our noob-thread asks how high he should start PLO. I generally answer: "as high as you can afford". I feel really bad for the players trying to get a feel for the game at PLO2-10 because they wanna apply some BRM.

PLO has great potential with the recreationals, surprisingly often my player searches on whales show them playing a $5 holdem SNG while 1-tabling PLO400. I think this illustrates the "fun factor" of PLO really well. Stars should tap into this with all their might, the Sunday PLO major would be a great start.

All the reasons Roy brought up for favoring stars are valid, but it's clear that the claim about the lowest rake in the industry is controversial.

If we wanna put pressure on Stars, we need to openly discuss migration, the where and the why of it. If we don't have an option, Stars will charge us the maximum cause we keep coming back. Sit-out strikes won't work, and frankly they amount to sabotaging a legit business that we happen to disagree with.
GoGetaRealJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 AM   #83
Ankimo
old hand
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 1,996
Roy, I disagree with your sentiments about which type of player Stars favours.

Deposits have high processing fees associated. I'd wager that the weekend rec player who deposits $500 to spin up but loses it within 200 hands, isn't profitable for stars.

So obviously, regular, break even grinders who rake nonstop are the favored player type.

Depositors are required to provide cash injections to the economy, but they don't necessarily generate profits for Stars.
Ankimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:00 AM   #84
heh
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
heh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Close enough
Posts: 10,258
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

Stars have a lower gross rake structure than places like Ipoker. 4.5% vs 5% raked and a lower rake cap as well.

However, since I have the patience of a dog with ADHD, I haven't looked at the rakeback equivalents of Ipoker skins contra the Stars VIP program. If anyone has those numbers, it would be interesting to see what the industry comparison is. My first-glance feeling is that Ipoker give back a good deal more than the Stars VIP program, even at relatively low volume.

I'm not sure if the disparity would be enough to warrant a move, for reasons of player pool, security, etc.
heh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:10 AM   #85
LorenzoVMatterhorn
grinder
 
LorenzoVMatterhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 470
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

Just playing devils advocate but but lets compare 200NLHE with 100PLO (both 6m)
Expressed in $

SD: both about 180$/100h
Rake paid (minus 40% rb): both about 7$/100h
Winrate for the average skilled reg after rb: (assume 1bb/100 for NLHE, 2bb/100 for 100PLO): 6.5$/100h

Now how is PLO raked more than NLHE?

Comparing 100PLO to 100NLHE is like comparing NL to Limit. A PLO game with same blinds as NLHE is just a bigger game.
LorenzoVMatterhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:57 AM   #86
chinz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NOT SCANDI
Posts: 9,061
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

^
I don't see any evidence supporting that winrates are higher in PLO, in fact it could be quite the opposite. I don't know anyone with good sample sizes (500k hands or so) with >3ptbb/100 winrates at smallstakes PLO, but plenty of guys have done that in NL. Usually the "PLO winrates are higher" argument is based on results of 100-300k hands of biggest winners at certain stakes shown by tracking sites, and obviously on a game with ~200bb/100 SDs you'll have breakeven regs showing up with great winrates over sample sizes like that. There is plenty of proof that NL 6max is realistically beatable for >3ptbb/100 (you're one yourself, unless I'm confusing you with someone else), but there isn't really such evidence for smallstakes PLO.

Also PLO games have become much tougher in last year or two. Friend of mine has played SSPLO for years and had ~4ptbb/100 EV winrate a few years ago, last year he played about half a million hands with ~1ptbb/100 EV winrate. The games have definitely gotten tougher faster than NL in last 1-2 years, so if you're comparing samples collected in last few years you have to take that into account.

FWIW I do partially agree with what you're saying, it's not entirely fair to compare PLO and NLHE with same blinds levels like that. We're complaining about PS treating them as the same game, but in a way a lot of people in this thread are also doing the same (when they're demanding same bb/100 rake). If we're making such comparison, PLO100 should land somewhere in between of NL100 and NL200 in my opinion. Currently it's NL100 < NL200 < PLO100.

Last edited by chinz; 01-18-2013 at 05:06 AM.
chinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:00 AM   #87
antchev
veteran
 
antchev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Self Master
Posts: 2,768
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaAaRnY View Post
i was just 13 tabling with 2 fast tables, had to leave the fast tables because i was playing too slow , if all the tables are gonna be like that my sne plans gone out the window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig View Post
I barely have 25k vpp right now and grinding is too much of a pain. It's way more difficult to play a lot of table than it once was. Tables are way tougher than 2-3 years ago, we now get 70%~ of the vpp we used to get and now the table speed is def going to affect the play.
I feel the same way.

For me, the main focus of this thread is not about rake. It's about when a major decision about cash games and games in general is coming upon us, I want PLO to be discussed separately from NLHE and I want the specific differencies of the game to be acknowledged and taken into consideration when making the decision. Rake just happens to be the most painful topic in the PLO games nowadays. It's absolutely ridiculous at lower stakes and there's no way it doesn't come up in a thread about what's wrong with the PLO games.

But I'm sure that Stars don't even remotely realize how much they piss all over their multitabling PLO regulars with the "Time to act" changes, especially over the ones going for SNE in which group I'm trying to participate this year. I'm not a mass tabler, I currently play 9 tables only. This change is going to affect me a lot and it may very well lead to me dropping the SNE plans.
antchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:40 AM   #88
kelnel
veteran
 
kelnel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: i <3 girafes
Posts: 2,717
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

Dear Pokerstar,

I rake +/- $100k a year on other sites than yours (question of habit; player pool etc.; I play mostly on Ipoker). Know that if you were to listen to the arguments in this thread and do something about this godforsaken rake, I'll gladly give you my $100'000.

I know for a fact that I am not the only one that would transition from your competition to you if something meaningful were to be done. There would be NO argument convincing enough, or that outweighs the benefits of playing on stars, for anyone to play anywhere else than on Pokerstars.

By doing something about the rake, you will attract much more players like me, and thus their rake.
kelnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #89
mrmaxxx
journeyman
 
mrmaxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ThaiStyle!
Posts: 308
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

lol at the polling result. Does PS care?
mrmaxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #90
joeri
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: bemyguestbud/l0ve2playu
Posts: 1,238
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

Is there any way to obtain a recent and large dataset of ssplo hands? I'm willing to pay a few 100$ for one and i'm sure there will be other contributors.

edit; just realised it will be really really big if we want any meaningfull analysis, so i guess we need a data handling specialist as well... PTR where are thou :P
joeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #91
napsus
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
napsus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Twitter in bio
Posts: 9,556
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaxxx View Post
lol at the polling result. Does PS care?
I'm very certain they do care, otherwise there would be no point discussing these issues by creating these threads. They also engage 2p2 forums on discussions in wide variety of topics, so I would refrain from all kinds of "**** yea, bring the rake down. **** this ****" comments, they are not helping our case at all, instead make us look like idiots.

Just wanted to point it out, like has been said, this thread was not created just to discuss rake although it will naturally be a part of discussion. We are hoping that the variety of topics that Pokerstars chooses to discuss with 2p2 community would be separated between different games, ie between PLO and NLHE.

I'm sure everyone here realises that Pokerstars is running a business and their job is to make their shareholders happy. Neither the players or Pokerstars want to create a predatory environment for recretional players. Pokerstars wants to make money of deposits, players want to make money from the money flowing upwards. One of the concerns at the moment is that the money is not currently flowing/will not flow (in the near future) upwards anymore because of the rake, so it's one reason why we are addressing these issues. These no proof the lowering rake would decrease Pokerstars revenue long-term. But like mentioned, it's just one of the issues. We also need more marketing efforts from Pokerstars regarding PLO, introduce PLO guaranteed prize pool tournaments etc to make the game more visible to a lot of players, since they already are charging quite an hefty amount from us to play the game.

So I would calm down with worries that Pokerstars are not listening or reading, I'm positive they are. Meanwhile we can keep throwing ideas around. They have always said that they are willing to jump on ideas stemming from 2p2/players if it makes sense for all parties.
napsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #92
Hoopman20
veteran
 
Hoopman20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,366
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

Quote:
Originally Posted by napsus View Post
this thread was not created just to discuss rake
Great thread and OP but I think this is a huge mistake. Why give PS the illusion that doing anything but fixing the rake will be acceptable?.

Discussing anything other than rake is a huge fail.

It allows them to ignore rake completely and still honestly say "We listened, we tried, and we made changes!" I do not believe there is a possible solution to the current state of PLO that doesn't address rake.

I propose the unified position of: "Yes we have many good ideas to improve PLO but until changes to the rake structure are made they are overshadowed to the point of insignificance."
Hoopman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #93
napsus
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
napsus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Twitter in bio
Posts: 9,556
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

What I meant "not only to discuss rake", but other issues too. Like I said, rake is a big part of the discussion as can be read itt. Furthermore rake is already heavily being discussed heavily on the petition thread, linked in OP.
napsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #94
Hoopman20
veteran
 
Hoopman20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,366
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

I guess you didn't understand my post. I take the position that discussing anything else is just taking time and effort distracting from the real issue. Rake isn't just the largest issue; changing rake structure and creating a healthy PLO ecosystem are mutually inclusive IMO. It is possible I am wrong.
Hoopman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #95
Jeff W
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 9,556
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinz View Post
^
I don't see any evidence supporting that winrates are higher in PLO, in fact it could be quite the opposite.
The one thing we know for sure is that the winrate for the whole playerbase at any given stakes is much lower at PLO than NLHE because of the rake. The winrate distribution have to be insanely skewed for regulars to have higher winrates at PLO on average than they do in NLHE.
Jeff W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #96
ubermonk
grinder
 
ubermonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: formerly monkover
Posts: 678
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopman20 View Post
I guess you didn't understand my post. I take the position that discussing anything else is just taking time and effort distracting from the real issue. Rake isn't just the largest issue; changing rake structure and creating a healthy PLO ecosystem are mutually inclusive IMO. It is possible I am wrong.
I think everybody agrees with you, that rake is the most pressing/important matter regarding the health of the plo ecosystem.

However, saying:'plz don't discuss ratholing etc, because PS might only fix that and then we're still stuck with the high rake.' is just off.

There are a few points that need fixing and we should all be happy about any steps taken into the right direction.
ubermonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #97
joeri
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: bemyguestbud/l0ve2playu
Posts: 1,238
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

^^^ very good point Jeff. I didn't look at it from that angle yet.
joeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #98
blopp
Pooh-Bah
 
blopp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Skjervoy
Posts: 3,756
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
The one thing we know for sure is that the winrate for the whole playerbase at any given stakes is much lower at PLO than NLHE because of the rake. The winrate distribution have to be insanely skewed for regulars to have higher winrates at PLO on average than they do in NLHE.
Huge +1, hope someone can break some numbers here.
blopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #99
Herrigel
adept
 
Herrigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hattrick in a hurricane
Posts: 1,137
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

Very good point Jeff.

Also due to less hands/hr dealt AND limitations in mass-tabling such a complicated game, a PLO reg would need a *way* higher winrate/100 to extract the same ammount of BB in any given time frame as the NLH reg.

Last edited by Herrigel; 01-18-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Herrigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #100
chinz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NOT SCANDI
Posts: 9,061
Re: POKERSTARS: Time to treat PLO and NLHE as different games!

Jeff W:
I should've pointed that out myself, obviously by "winrates" I meant something like winrates achievable for the top quarter of profitable players AKA achievable winrates for top regs.

Average non-recreational regular is probably around 0bb/100 at SSPLO, making money with bonuses. In NLHE there's probably less breakeven or slightly losing (pre rakeback) regs.
chinz is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive