Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

High Stakes PL Omaha Discussion of 2/4 and above pot-limit Omaha poker

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #1
dc-ohio
veteran
 
dc-ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ohio... duh
Posts: 2,417
5/5/15(rock) PLO

playing 5/5/15(rock) PLO and we are on the button but first to act as the rock is to our right.

Ad5dAh4h

Stacks vary from 400-4k, we have ~1600 in front. Table is fairly aggressive, most pots are raised pre. Straddler is very aggressive.

Our image is fairly nitty preflop. When we enter with a raise early most people are putting us on good aces and we are rarely being 3-bet.

Is it worth trying to limp here first to act and try to get in a big 3 or 4 bet if it gets back to us?
dc-ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:07 PM   #2
Javanewt
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: a farm in the country
Posts: 7,053
Re: 5/5/15(rock) PLO

With your table description, I like the limp/raise (as long as they aren't expecting it from you -- do you ever just limp?).
Javanewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
SolarAU
old hand
 
SolarAU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: popping bottles w/ the boys
Posts: 1,550
Re: 5/5/15(rock) PLO

Limp re-raise is still going to give away the strength of your hand as a RFI would, if not more so although in that scenario you might be able to lower to SPR sufficiently to make your decisions much simpler post flop.
SolarAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:25 PM   #4
auralex14
adept
 
auralex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,147
Re: 5/5/15(rock) PLO

I would just raise and hope you get 3-bet by someone who thinks you're range is wider than it is since you're on the button.

I don't think you'll be able to get enough of your stack in PF if you go for the limp, reraise.

And if people are able to put you on good aces when you raise from early position, you need to loosen up your range.
auralex14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:56 PM   #5
endodocdc
old hand
 
endodocdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,932
Re: 5/5/15(rock) PLO

Don’t like lrr. Add some hands where you raise more frequently in late position. Is this at Aria? Lrr in my experience doesn’t dramatically thin the field in that game and it telegraphs your hand.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
endodocdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #6
dc-ohio
veteran
 
dc-ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ohio... duh
Posts: 2,417
Re: 5/5/15(rock) PLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralex14 View Post
I would just raise and hope you get 3-bet by someone who thinks you're range is wider than it is since you're on the button.

I don't think you'll be able to get enough of your stack in PF if you go for the limp, reraise.

And if people are able to put you on good aces when you raise from early position, you need to loosen up your range.
I have been lately. My image in previous sessions followed me to this one.
dc-ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:04 AM   #7
monikrazy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
monikrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 24,141
Re: 5/5/15(rock) PLO

Raise, it doesn't have to be full pot
If villains only put you on aaxx hands in this spot you are playing too tight and need to spend some time thinking about spots to widen your range
monikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #8
Purasevic
grinder
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 414
Re: 5/5/15(rock) PLO

If you limp reraise some player that covers you,spr will still be high on the flop.

So the problem is your raising range,which is perceived as only aces often.I would

then don`t mind min raising here.
Purasevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:43 AM   #9
Javanewt
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: a farm in the country
Posts: 7,053
Re: 5/5/15(rock) PLO

To me, if they put you on Aces regardless (and they are not going to 3bet you), I'd rather do the limp/raise and get rid of a few of them or hope someone feels committed and re-pots. If you raise now, they are all going to flat hoping to crack your Aces. Agree that you need to change up your raising range.

With the straddle, we only have 100bb, so I want to do whatever I can to gii pre.
Javanewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #10
MIB211
veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,830
Re: 5/5/15(rock) PLO

I just raise here. Say we go for l/rr and there are a few limps to straddle (say $60 in the pot) who pots, so he makes it $75 to go. We repot and make it 225. If called SPR is still like 3:1, and we're completely face up with AA. Better to just raise the first time, hope you get 3-bet so you can gii, and if not you get to play a bloated pot on the BTN with good aces without being face up. If you're $1000 deep I like the l/rr.
MIB211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:35 AM   #11
OmahaDonk
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,171
Re: 5/5/15(rock) PLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB211 View Post
I just raise here. Say we go for l/rr and there are a few limps to straddle (say $60 in the pot) who pots, so he makes it $75 to go. We repot and make it 225.
Forgive me if I'm wrong with the math, but I come up with:
CO posts 15, Hero limps, blinds fold, 2 limps, MP raises to 100, Hero raises to 370, CO folds, MP calls.

Or possibly:
CO posts 15, Hero limps, blinds fold, 2 limps, MP raises to 100, CO calls 100, Hero raises to 470, MP calls, CO calls.

In scenario 1 it's HU and the pot will be 810 with 1230 behind or an SPR around 1.5. I like this (and it let's us gamboool).

In scenario 2 it's 3 ways and the pot will be 1480 with 1130 back or an SPR around 0.76. I like this too.
OmahaDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #12
YALLIGNENT
grinder
 
YALLIGNENT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 633
Re: 5/5/15(rock) PLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc-ohio View Post
playing 5/5/15(rock) PLO and we are on the button but first to act as the rock is to our right.

Ad5dAh4h

Stacks vary from 400-4k, we have ~1600 in front. Table is fairly aggressive, most pots are raised pre. Straddler is very aggressive.

Our image is fairly nitty preflop. When we enter with a raise early most people are putting us on good aces and we are rarely being 3-bet.

Is it worth trying to limp here first to act and try to get in a big 3 or 4 bet if it gets back to us?
That's your first problem right there. You need to raise more PF in position to widen your perceived range so that when you actually have a monster hand you have the opportunity to 4bet AI.
YALLIGNENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:39 PM   #13
borg23
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,305
Re: 5/5/15(rock) PLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by YALLIGNENT View Post
That's your first problem right there. You need to raise more PF in position to widen your perceived range so that when you actually have a monster hand you have the opportunity to 4bet AI.
exactly
and if you're gonna limp raise (which i don't do but maybe should start) mix in some nice double suited run down type hands as well. it's always nice when someone has to fold kings in a 4 bet pot when the flop is 822 bc they put you on aces. or when you smash a ten high flop and they go with their dominated gapped one suited hand that they 3 bet called with and flopped some kind of pair and figure they're flipping with aces.
borg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:58 PM   #14
jdr0317
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5,721
Re: 5/5/15(rock) PLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarAU View Post
Limp re-raise is still going to give away the strength of your hand as a RFI would, if not more so although in that scenario you might be able to lower to SPR sufficiently to make your decisions much simpler post flop.
Yeah the problem w/ LRR is that if we can't get SPR down to ~ 1 preflop, we open ourselves up for exploitation. Like if I could throw 15 in preflop, have the next dude raise to 70, collect 2 cold calls and a call from the straddle, and I can go pump to 430, I'd do it.
jdr0317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #15
Andrew Boccia
old hand
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Real Estate Investing in Florida
Posts: 1,533
Re: 5/5/15(rock) PLO

Limping is bad theory. This hand should be raised for pot as well as other hands that push an equity edge.

You could consider limping some marginal hands that have nutty distribution which do not push a big equity edge, (A886ds, ATT5, etc.) This could be balanced by limping weaker Aces (AwAx8y3y, AwAxAy4y, etc)

Limping is a viable strategy in the blinds if a straddle is squeezing you, this is because protecting your calling range is a lot more important (you are incentivized to call a lot in blinds.)
Andrew Boccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:08 AM   #16
Javanewt
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: a farm in the country
Posts: 7,053
Re: 5/5/15(rock) PLO

So you guys are happy to raise/pot it and get four or five callers? Because according to OP, that's what is most likely going to happen.
Javanewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:22 PM   #17
borg23
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,305
Re: 5/5/15(rock) PLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javanewt View Post
So you guys are happy to raise/pot it and get four or five callers? Because according to OP, that's what is most likely going to happen.
with double suited aces absolutely
borg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #18
Javanewt
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: a farm in the country
Posts: 7,053
Re: 5/5/15(rock) PLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg23 View Post
with double suited aces absolutely
With 100bb? I guess it makes it easy to fold on the flop if you don't hit a very good flop, because I'm not continuing unless I do.
Javanewt is online now   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online