Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #126
donniccolo
Pooh-Bah
 
donniccolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 5,955
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by heater View Post
he's talking about osu fans abandoning Clarett, dummy
internet 1 donniccolo 0

sorry
donniccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #127
bdubbers
old hand
 
bdubbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,505
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloDanglers View Post
I mean he did try to take down the OSU machine. He pissed off lots of people. He arguably did more damage to OSU's football reputation than any other person ever. He was given the keys to the kingdom, screwed up, and blamed everyone but himself.

I will give JT credit though. He supposedly talks to him every couple weeks and has good things to say about him.
this. he screwed up on his own, when osu rightfully suspended him while the ncaa was investigating everything he turned on OSU making claims that nobody could back up or substantiate(despite the NCAA investigating the situation for almost 2 years). at that point i was pretty much done with him. I can give a guy a second chance, but he went out of his way to burn the bridge with OSU fans.
bdubbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #128
bdubbers
old hand
 
bdubbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,505
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloDanglers View Post
Also in other news Braxton Miller is on campus today. He is the center of what could possibly be the nation's #1 recruiting class. If we land him a lot of people believe it will be a 5 star domino effect in Ohio. He is a must get IMO
really like him. with him and aundrey walker being heavy OSU leans i really like the way this class is looking going forward, especially given the OL commits we already have.

too bad aundrey will be waiting till late to committ like all glenville recruits. I hate that sweat.
bdubbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #129
TomCollins
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TomCollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Blockchain
Posts: 42,548
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiper View Post
it's awesome how you all have abandoned him.

really speaks well of osu fans.
Why shouldn't we abandon someone like that?

I wish him the best and hope he straightens himself out. But he's a still a bad apple.
TomCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #130
wiper
still catching up
 
wiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA#1
Posts: 42,432
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

because he single-handedly won you your only championship in my lifetime.

if any UM player did that and then went on a drinking/gun-toting/finger-pointing binge, i'd still always say, 'yeaahh, but'..
wiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #131
donniccolo
Pooh-Bah
 
donniccolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 5,955
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCollins View Post
Why shouldn't we abandon someone like that?

I wish him the best and hope he straightens himself out. But he's a still a bad apple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiper View Post
because he single-handedly won you your only championship in my lifetime.

if any UM player did that and then went on a drinking/gun-toting/finger-pointing binge, i'd still always say, 'yeaahh, but'..
i'm kind of with wiper here - its not like i would let Clarett babysit my kid (which i don't have) but i don't wish him bad and i don't have any hard feelings about how he left. i understood his capitalist greed ambition to get paid considering he was selling dime bags to my cousin from the WGH Varsity Room his senior year of HS. he wasn't very smart and to get a Title out of him was an effing pure stroke of genius. it took every single thing aligning that year to win the Title...kind of like winning a deep MTT where you win 10 flips in a row. do i wish he stayed through his junior year? heck yes. i feel that osu would've played in at least 1 more title game (3 in a row is insane and a bit much to ask for) and they would've had a shot at winning 2 in a row or 2 in 3 years (incl the one they won). way it worked out, they still had some great games and it is what it is considering we don't have a time machine (well, we may but that's for another thread)

had OSU won a few more big games (Texas 1 or USC 2 or Texas 3, etc) i bet more OSU fans would be willing to let Clarett slide. since most OSU fans are bitter they remember Clarett w/ a bitter taste. even if he stayed, OSU prob loses 2 more SEC games :_(

anyone think Clarett will see a field again? CFL? Arena? Euro? NFL? i gotta say no way to the NFL considering how its a young mans game at the RB pos but maybe to Arena?
donniccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:51 AM   #132
wiper
still catching up
 
wiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA#1
Posts: 42,432
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniccolo View Post
he was selling dime bags to my cousin from the WGH Varsity Room his senior year of HS.
whoa whoa WHOOAA...who is your cousin, and who are YOU?

do i know either of you?

pm is fine, but i really wanna know who your cousin is.

i am no fan of thom mcdaniels, but i tend to believe that the above is nonsense. i do remember him sitting out a game in his junior year for 'undisclosed reasons' (which was common knowledge in the school), but again i doubt he was selling weed in the varsity house his senior year.

i should again state that i'm biased in this argument in that i saw maurice play 90% of his games from soph-senior in h.s. couple games in cincinnati, one in cleveland and maybe a random here/there, but i was at all the home games + playoffs. i saw him do some amaaazing things, remember he was the usa today hs poy his senior year.

and yes, i went straight to hating him when he went to cbus. well, i wanted him to rush for 6,000 yards/30 td's a year, and them to go 0-11.

seriously though, who is your cousin, and have you been to warren before? like i said, feel free to pm if you're uncomfortable.
wiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #133
donniccolo
Pooh-Bah
 
donniccolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 5,955
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

hehe i was born in Warren, huge Ital fam, lots still live there, although my allegiance is to Niles, where my father's side lived since they hopped the pond in the 50s.

unfortunately, maurice WAS selling pot in HS. from what i remember at least some of the coaches ran protection for him. he was truly that stupid. this really surprises you?!

i grad from Howland in 99 and was gone by the time maurice was making waves at WGH. my cousin and his friends went to JFK and knew the whole clarett crew pretty well, as lots of the Harding players were in the JFK system at some point and transferred as i'm sure you know. lets see - cousin was a frosh when i was a senior so he grad in 2002 from jfk. considering how small that school is if you know anyone i'm sure you know them.
donniccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #134
TomCollins
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TomCollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Blockchain
Posts: 42,548
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiper View Post
because he single-handedly won you your only championship in my lifetime.

if any UM player did that and then went on a drinking/gun-toting/finger-pointing binge, i'd still always say, 'yeaahh, but'..
Not sure you can say single-handedly. He did score the winning TD. He did win many of the games up to that point. He had great promise, but he threw it away. I hope he has decided to shape up, and can atone for his problems, and if he does, he'll be looked more favorably than he is now. Right now he is a huge embarrassment, due to his own actions. He doesn't get a pass for winning a ring.

It wasn't just a gun-toting binge. The dude was probably going to kill someone that night. If you were a USC alumni, what would you say about OJ? Do they need to stand by him? Screw him. Clarrett was a team cancer. Sometimes you have to cut your losses on guys like that.
TomCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #135
wiper
still catching up
 
wiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA#1
Posts: 42,432
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniccolo View Post
hehe i was born in Warren, huge Ital fam, lots still live there, although my allegiance is to Niles, where my father's side lived since they hopped the pond in the 50s.

unfortunately, maurice WAS selling pot in HS. from what i remember at least some of the coaches ran protection for him. he was truly that stupid. this really surprises you?!

i grad from Howland in 99 and was gone by the time maurice was making waves at WGH. my cousin and his friends went to JFK and knew the whole clarett crew pretty well, as lots of the Harding players were in the JFK system at some point and transferred as i'm sure you know. lets see - cousin was a frosh when i was a senior so he grad in 2002 from jfk. considering how small that school is if you know anyone i'm sure you know them.
there is a pretty decent chance we know each other in roundabout ways. i graduated from harding in '97. i even taught at jfk for a year in '04 i think.

the whole 'coaches running protection' thing though, that reeks. my brother played bball with him maurice's sophomore year (he quit after that to focus on football) and can tell stories, however none of them include him selling weed in the locker room.
wiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #136
wiper
still catching up
 
wiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA#1
Posts: 42,432
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCollins View Post
Not sure you can say single-handedly. He did score the winning TD. He did win many of the games up to that point. He had great promise, but he threw it away. I hope he has decided to shape up, and can atone for his problems, and if he does, he'll be looked more favorably than he is now. Right now he is a huge embarrassment, due to his own actions. He doesn't get a pass for winning a ring.

It wasn't just a gun-toting binge. The dude was probably going to kill someone that night. If you were a USC alumni, what would you say about OJ? Do they need to stand by him? Screw him. Clarrett was a team cancer. Sometimes you have to cut your losses on guys like that.
if he doesn't strip the ball back in the championship game, osu has no titles.

so yeah, in THAT respect it WAS singlehandedly.
wiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #137
donniccolo
Pooh-Bah
 
donniccolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 5,955
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiper View Post
if he doesn't strip the ball back in the championship game, osu has no titles.

so yeah, in THAT respect it WAS singlehandedly.
singlehandidly in the sense that if osu doesn't have clarett that year, they win no title. the same can be said of craig krenzel and probably a few other players.

wiper you just missed when howland beat harding in playoff basketball after going something like 0-20 for the season. i think that was in 98. i played baseball against a few really solid guys from wgh. unfortunately sometime in my hs days some idiot @ howland stabbed a kid from harding (josiah) and there were a few years where harding people wanted to kill everyone @ howland. i knew josiah and his crew from my warren roots and felt bad about it - the howland kids that did it were idiots and i hoped they all got beat down for it.

are you a josh mcdaniels fan? did you know him?
donniccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #138
MrEleganza
old hand
 
MrEleganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: U. Meyer's sad pizza, now happy.
Posts: 1,823
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiper View Post
because he single-handedly won you your only championship in my lifetime.

if any UM player did that and then went on a drinking/gun-toting/finger-pointing binge, i'd still always say, 'yeaahh, but'..
Well, that is a scenario (the former I mean, not the latter) you will never, ever, ever have to worry about.
MrEleganza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #139
donniccolo
Pooh-Bah
 
donniccolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 5,955
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

can anyone remember a team with worse kickers?

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...l.html?sid=101

"Buchanan was 8 of 14 on field-goal attempts, and Barclay was 8 of 15."

"The difference in the score was a 47-yarder that freshman Drew Basil hit for the Gray. Just two weeks into college out of Chillicothe, Ohio, Basil also was called on to try the Scarlet's 39-yarder in the shootout, but he hesitated, then missed left."

yikes.
donniccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #140
donniccolo
Pooh-Bah
 
donniccolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 5,955
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

also posted this in the UM thread

which state is the most serious about high school football ?

[ ] michigan
[ ] ohio

donniccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #141
wiper
still catching up
 
wiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA#1
Posts: 42,432
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

you really like that stadium, huh?
wiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #142
donniccolo
Pooh-Bah
 
donniccolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 5,955
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiper View Post
you really like that stadium, huh?
i just love how bad the US educational system is in general yet some high schools can build ridiculous football stadiums. lets just keep producing really dumb people
donniccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #143
TomCollins
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TomCollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Blockchain
Posts: 42,548
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Spring game was yesterday.

Pryor looked off to start with a few underthrown passes, but got it together and played well during his time. Finished up in the 1st quarter with 8/12 108yds, 1 TD.

Biggest surprise was Guiton. He was drafted ahead of Bauserman and showed why. He looked very good, threw some excellent passes and made good decisions to lead Grey to victory. 11/21 for 167 and 2 TDs. While not always looking good, he has a ton of potential.

Bauserman threw 2 INTs and looked off. He was 6/15 on the day, with 75 yards.

The future is bright, even after Pryor leaves. Even if he goes down, I wouldn't mind having Guiton in. He can certainly cover for a week or two.

Also, Zach Boren looked like an out of control bulldozer that no one could stop. That dude would just barrel over everyone and couldn't be brought down. Stoneburner also looked good at TE and made some solid plays.

Punting game looked awful, though. That concerns me, but hopefully the offense is good enough we don't need to punt much. Defense held their own on both sides as well. Now to wait 4 months .
TomCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #144
donniccolo
Pooh-Bah
 
donniccolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 5,955
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

TC did you go or just watch/listen?

i had family in town and played golf instead. in case you are curious, i managed to shoot 90 with 2 birdies :-o

i listened to some of the game on the radio and wasn't too impressed, although i can't really remember being impressed after a spring game.

do you think guiton is good enough to lead the team to a 9 win or more season if we didn't have pryor? i feel like we are so heavily weighted towards pryor that this season may be a huge letdown. if TP has an off day offensively, who can pick up the rock? our RBs are not elite and our special teams is bad as you noted.

defense is a huge question - obv by default an osu defense should be top 20 in the country but what i fear is leaning on them every week. i guess i'm a little nervous about teams keying on pryor and this season being a letdown. everything is set up so perfectly (all big games @ home) that i feel like something bad is bound to happen :-(

also did you know that the opener is vs Marshall on a thursday night?!?!
donniccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #145
TomCollins
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TomCollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Blockchain
Posts: 42,548
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

I watched it on TV. I live in Austin, a bit hard to make it to Columbus to watch.

Guiton is still a work in progress, but 9 wins would be doable for him this season. After all, we can probably get 9 wins just by handing the ball off every play. We have such a beastly set of running backs and the line should be decent, no doubt 9 wins. Give him another year or two to learn, he'll be a pretty good QB. Not elite, but he'll hold his own. If Pryor went down for a random game against Purdue or MSU, I wouldn't be worried. If he goes down against Nebraska in the title game, I get more worried. If Todd Boeckman can lead us to a national championship game, then surely Guiton can win 9 games if needed.

We have a ton of awesome RBs. The stable is very full. Saine, Hall, Martin, Berry, Herron, hell, even Boren can carry the rock some. With Pryor able to pass the ball now, it should open up the run game a ton as well.

Taurian Washington once again lived up to his "Mr. April" nickname. Hopefully he can actually do something with it once the games count.

Defense looks quite good. I was worried a little before, but they should be in great shape. Probably not the best we have seen, but easily top 10 defense.

Barclay can kick the ball well, so not too worried about FGs. Just punting needs improvement.

Yeah, saw that the opener was moved to Thursday. I don't like it. The bad part is, it's not even on ESPN, it's just on BTN, so it won't even get more air time. I forget the reasoning behind it, but it seemed lame.
TomCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #146
heater
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
heater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Happy Easter!
Posts: 11,328
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

you guys would win 9 games with me at QB
heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #147
donniccolo
Pooh-Bah
 
donniccolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 5,955
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCollins View Post
I watched it on TV. I live in Austin, a bit hard to make it to Columbus to watch.

Guiton is still a work in progress, but 9 wins would be doable for him this season. After all, we can probably get 9 wins just by handing the ball off every play. We have such a beastly set of running backs and the line should be decent, no doubt 9 wins. Give him another year or two to learn, he'll be a pretty good QB. Not elite, but he'll hold his own. If Pryor went down for a random game against Purdue or MSU, I wouldn't be worried. If he goes down against Nebraska in the title game, I get more worried. If Todd Boeckman can lead us to a national championship game, then surely Guiton can win 9 games if needed.

We have a ton of awesome RBs. The stable is very full. Saine, Hall, Martin, Berry, Herron, hell, even Boren can carry the rock some. With Pryor able to pass the ball now, it should open up the run game a ton as well.

Taurian Washington once again lived up to his "Mr. April" nickname. Hopefully he can actually do something with it once the games count.

Defense looks quite good. I was worried a little before, but they should be in great shape. Probably not the best we have seen, but easily top 10 defense.

Barclay can kick the ball well, so not too worried about FGs. Just punting needs improvement.

Yeah, saw that the opener was moved to Thursday. I don't like it. The bad part is, it's not even on ESPN, it's just on BTN, so it won't even get more air time. I forget the reasoning behind it, but it seemed lame.
austin? austin, massachusetts?

TC you are very optimistic - or the B10 is just that poor. awesome RBs? i considered Beanie and Clarett to be awesome. these guys are pretty standard imo. i hope you are right and someone emerges as a feature back.

what convinced you that Pryor has turned the corner re: passing? how many yds/game passing wins 11 games? 200? 250? or is it going to be the kind of year w/ games where TP has 100 rushing, 110 passing and we kick 4 FGs?

Brolle makes me happy on D. not sure about everyone else.

Thursday game isn't on ESPN? wtf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heater View Post
you guys would win 9 games with me at QB
i'd like to think me too however my first and only opportunity to play QB in the Turkey Bowl resulted in a disaster. not sure i'm ready for the Big 10
donniccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #148
TomCollins
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TomCollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Blockchain
Posts: 42,548
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Austin, TX.

B10 is still going to be poor, with Penn State being down. Iowa and Wisconsin will be legit, but that's only 2 games. The mediocre teams will be mediocre, but there are still enough teams that are just so outmatched.

There are so many RBs that have huge promise, chances are 1 or 2 of them will really break through. Saine and Herron aren't at the Clarett or Beanie level (but those guys were constantly hurt), but they can get the job done. Certainly above a Maurice Hall level.

Pryor has made smart decisions ever since Purdue Harbor. He really opened it up in the Oregon game as well. In many games, 0 yards passing is sufficient to win. In others, we may need 150-200. You don't need huge passing numbers since the run game can do so much against outmatched opponents. Pryor will run a ton as well. Very few teams will be capable of scoring more than 20 on us on our schedule. Maybe Iowa and Wisconsin and Miami. Maaaybe Penn State. You don't need to put up huge offensive numbers to win when your defense can hold them under 20. Pryor has experience and won't make dumb mistakes very often. He has the weapons that he doesn't need to force it. The O-Line is the key, if they can perform, we roll easy over a lot of teams. If they suck, Pryor might get himself into trouble more often.

D-Line will still be stout and stop the run. CBs always concern me a bit. They need to not do anything stupid more than anything though. LBs look to be solid.

No ESPN is correct.

I'm not sure we could win with heater playing QB. It would be pretty sad if Michigan couldn't beat us if our own QB was trying to give them the ball at every opportunity. It certainly would be close, but I think our D can score more than they allow against Michigan.
TomCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #149
TomCollins
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TomCollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Blockchain
Posts: 42,548
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniccolo View Post
can anyone remember a team with worse kickers?

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...l.html?sid=101

"Buchanan was 8 of 14 on field-goal attempts, and Barclay was 8 of 15."

"The difference in the score was a 47-yarder that freshman Drew Basil hit for the Gray. Just two weeks into college out of Chillicothe, Ohio, Basil also was called on to try the Scarlet's 39-yarder in the shootout, but he hesitated, then missed left."

yikes.
Barclay (the real kicker) was 7/7 inside 40 yards. Not that terrible. He just can't hit the long ones. Buchanan is mainly the punter, but could serve as the long range kicker. It's definitely some of the weaker kickers we've had, but nothing to worry about too much. Perhaps it will get Tressel to actually go for it when he should more often.
TomCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #150
donniccolo
Pooh-Bah
 
donniccolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 5,955
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

austin - was a poor reference to the movie "Road Trip" hehe

TC i wish i shared your optimism. ever since 2006 i have failed to be optimistic at any point.

nfn but do you round for a living? aren't there a shload of grinders in TX, Austin specifically? is that where z32 is? or maybe its bfizz i'm thinking of? i thought there was a big group of players somewhere in TX?

ps where tf are all of the Buckeye fans? (in before Wiper / Heater destroy this comment
donniccolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online