Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #51
wiper
still catching up
 
wiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA#1
Posts: 42,451
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniccolo View Post
hehe you guys aren't half bad ;-)

the "michigan sucks" in the beginning of the thread is simply my customary "michigan sucks." you know what i'm talking about. its like your customary "nuke columbus." i figured you wouldn't consider that a "call out" considering its just a customary "eff you" between rivals ;-)

that osu vs nazi thing is pretty funny. i'm going to steal that. thx.
i stole it too, so feel free.
wiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:41 PM   #52
TomCollins
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TomCollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Blockchain
Posts: 42,548
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniccolo View Post

why are you so confident he won't bail for the NFL? say OSU runs the table and he makes a Heisman run... ? i don't think either of these things will happen or that he'll bail...but it is a possibility imo.

you are right about the hate - he has gotten way better since then. hopefully he goes the Troy Smith route of getting in "trouble" once and then becoming a leader and a "get it" guy. (i also wouldn't mind if he followed Troy's Heisman/Natl Championship footsteps other than the actual Nat Champ game ;-)
I suppose winning a title and he might consider going. I just don't see him as a huge pick in the NFL after 1 more year. He's gotta be smart enough to realize staying another year helps him out a ton. Well, he might not be, but he'll be listening to people who are smart enough to know that.
TomCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #53
heater
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
heater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Happy Easter!
Posts: 11,326
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

I agree with TC re: Pryor.
heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:45 PM   #54
ILOVEPOKER929
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ILOVEPOKER929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Making God facepalm.
Posts: 27,646
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniccolo View Post
this is very reasonable. i'm guessing you do not like Rich Rod? personally, I thought it was stupid to fire Llyod Carr...
I was very excited when Michigan hired Rich Rod given his success at West Virginia, Clemson, and Tulane. I'll always think Bill Martin made an excellent hire getting him, even if the Rich Rod project crashes and burns (A possibility that has obviously increased in probability over the last 2 years).

As far as my current feelings about RichRod, I don't really think "like" or "dislike" enters the equation. I don't hold Michigan's record the last two years against him, but he has made a few decisions and said a few moronic things that have upset me. I'm also not impressed with RichRod's recruiting. My official position right now is "worried".

I was never satisfied with Lloyd Carr in the sense that I wanted a few more 10-2/11-2 type seasons. I'm not sure if that is a rational beef or not. Regardless, it was time for LC to step down because it was clear he no longer had the desire to coach. He wanted to retire after the 2006 loss to USC, but he was talked out of it. So he finished out the Henne/Hart class and retired in 2007. He wasn't fired. He simply didn't want to do it anymore. Bill Martin would've kept LC forever. LC did a decent job, and he and his staff were underpaid compared to the market.

I think Bo dying played a large role in LC stepping down. Bo had a permanent office at Schembechler hall, and Lloyd loved him. With Bo gone, Lloyd had no incentive to stay. LC never loved the game like Bo or Woody did. He had coached a long time and had enough. Bo and Woody were a different breed. If it wasn't for Bo's bad heart, and Woody probably not taking his meds when he should've, those two legends would've have coached til they died.
ILOVEPOKER929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:20 AM   #55
Tumaterminator
HOCKEY!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 26,444
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

I miss Lloyd a lot, quite a bit for reasons not having to do with wins and losses.
Tumaterminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:24 PM   #56
donniccolo
Pooh-Bah
 
donniccolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 5,955
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEPOKER929 View Post
I was very excited when Michigan hired Rich Rod given his success at West Virginia, Clemson, and Tulane. I'll always think Bill Martin made an excellent hire getting him, even if the Rich Rod project crashes and burns (A possibility that has obviously increased in probability over the last 2 years).

As far as my current feelings about RichRod, I don't really think "like" or "dislike" enters the equation. I don't hold Michigan's record the last two years against him, but he has made a few decisions and said a few moronic things that have upset me. I'm also not impressed with RichRod's recruiting. My official position right now is "worried".

I was never satisfied with Lloyd Carr in the sense that I wanted a few more 10-2/11-2 type seasons. I'm not sure if that is a rational beef or not. Regardless, it was time for LC to step down because it was clear he no longer had the desire to coach. He wanted to retire after the 2006 loss to USC, but he was talked out of it. So he finished out the Henne/Hart class and retired in 2007. He wasn't fired. He simply didn't want to do it anymore. Bill Martin would've kept LC forever. LC did a decent job, and he and his staff were underpaid compared to the market.

I think Bo dying played a large role in LC stepping down. Bo had a permanent office at Schembechler hall, and Lloyd loved him. With Bo gone, Lloyd had no incentive to stay. LC never loved the game like Bo or Woody did. He had coached a long time and had enough. Bo and Woody were a different breed. If it wasn't for Bo's bad heart, and Woody probably not taking his meds when he should've, those two legends would've have coached til they died.
good read and very insightful, thanks

i didn't realize that he wasn't really "fired." after going 11-0 and losing a heartbreaker to osu (i was there, 2nd best live sporting event i've ever attended) i didn't think he deserved to be looked down at like a "has been" coach. maybe he wasn't, remember, i'm really only getting a little nat'l media coverage and a lot of slanted columbus coverage. i liked lloyd. i do not like rich rod, however after he got hammered so badly by the media, i started to feel bad for him. i'm sure he's trying his best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumaterminator View Post
I miss Lloyd a lot, quite a bit for reasons not having to do with wins and losses.
cause he was/is a good man that was good for UM would be my guess?
donniccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #57
Tumaterminator
HOCKEY!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 26,444
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
cause he was/is a good man that was good for UM would be my guess?
pretty much. big on honor and tradition, direct link to Bo as well. my favorite reason being he always smiled and waved to me when walking past his office on state and hoover. yes i waved first.
Tumaterminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #58
z32fanatic
Pooh-Bah
 
z32fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In your iPads
Posts: 4,671
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Getting the top OL recruit would be huge considering how bad it's been for so many years. We haven't had a good tackle in years.

Michigan fans with >50% of the posts in this thread is not surprising. Hatersgonnahate.jpg imo
z32fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #59
wiper
still catching up
 
wiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA#1
Posts: 42,451
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by z32fanatic View Post
Michigan fans with >50% of the posts in this thread is not surprising. Hatersgonnahate.jpg imo
could be that, or it could be that there aren't really that many osu fans + it's the offseason and only a very rare few of you all are diehard.
wiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #60
donniccolo
Pooh-Bah
 
donniccolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 5,955
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by z32fanatic View Post
Getting the top OL recruit would be huge considering how bad it's been for so many years. We haven't had a good tackle in years.

Michigan fans with >50% of the posts in this thread is not surprising. Hatersgonnahate.jpg imo
glad you found this thread, z32. do you ever make it back to columbus?

just read a good article in the Cbus Dispatch re: this year's recruiting class. unfortunately it didn't predict how they would do in bcs games ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiper View Post
could be that, or it could be that there aren't really that many osu fans + it's the offseason and only a very rare few of you all are diehard.
umm..... "aren't really that many osu fans" is way off... maybe there aren't that many on 2+2 but osu has one of the biggest fan bases in the world. there are "buckeye bars" in every major city in the country and many cities worldwide. obv # of fans doesn't translate into team success (see: Notre Dame). diehard is a weird term cause true "diehard" buckeye fans annoy the isht out of me... the ones who are narrow minded and think osu can do no wrong. as stated in my op, i'm more cynical than most osu fans.

hopefully we get more +osu fans as the spring game approaches. considering the expectations for the 2010 season, i'd be surprised if we don't get more fans by the start of the season.
donniccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #61
bdubbers
old hand
 
bdubbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,505
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by z32fanatic View Post
Getting the top OL recruit would be huge considering how bad it's been for so many years. We haven't had a good tackle in years.

Michigan fans with >50% of the posts in this thread is not surprising. Hatersgonnahate.jpg imo
We've been killing it recruiting OL the past few years. Brewster/Shugarts/Adams 2 years ago and Hall/Lindsley/Mewhort last year. We just didn't recruit OL for **** the previous 3 years. 05-07 had 6 OL recruits(headlined by 4 year starting bust Alex Boone). 08-09 had 7 OL recruits alone, all but one of them rated 4* or higher. Adding Henderson and Norwell this year would give us some sick depth as that '08 class really comes into its own next year.
bdubbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #62
heater
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
heater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Happy Easter!
Posts: 11,326
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniccolo View Post
umm..... "aren't really that many osu fans" is way off... maybe there aren't that many on 2+2 but osu has one of the biggest fan bases in the world.
umm...he was definitely talking about the lack of OSU fans on the entire planet while discussing the lack of posts by Buckeye fans in this thread on 2p2

heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #63
heater
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
heater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Happy Easter!
Posts: 11,326
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

has there been anything today to back up the Henderson to OSU story by that weird little site?
heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:26 AM   #64
z32fanatic
Pooh-Bah
 
z32fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In your iPads
Posts: 4,671
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniccolo View Post
glad you found this thread, z32. do you ever make it back to columbus?
Not really, just holidays and the Michigan game every year. I try to go to 1 other big home game every year so 2 games a season.

I'm just hoping we get some better play out of our LBs this season, hopefully with the emergence of the next great OSU LB in the Hawk/Laurenaitis mold. I had high Homan but he doesn't seem to have the same field presence as those guys.
z32fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:35 AM   #65
mjw0586
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
mjw0586's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 37,375
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

What about Rolle? He looked awesome every time I watched him.
mjw0586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #66
bdubbers
old hand
 
bdubbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,505
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

James Louis signed his LOI. He was the only commit i was really worried about losing at the last minute.

Matt James picked ND. Chaz Green and Morgan Moses are longshots. It looks like Latwan Anderson isn't signing with WVU just yet and may be waiting to see if OSU has a scholarship for him. At this rate I think its likely that we do.

Seantrel announcing at 5'ish, seems like a long ways away.

edit: corey brown only commit who hasn't signed yet.
bdubbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #67
Gandolfandiari
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Gandolfandiari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Over the Hills and Far Away
Posts: 11,419
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

looking like Seantrel to USC

http://www.cleveland.com/buckeyeblog...ve_line_r.html
Gandolfandiari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #68
bdubbers
old hand
 
bdubbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,505
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

everybody has an opinion based on a source "close to the situation." if follow every article like that you'll hear a new school every week for guys like henderson. he's kept everything surprisingly close to the vest imo.

Really hoping he goes OSU now. with james to ND and Green and Moses being longshots, Henderson kind of makes or breaks this OL class.
bdubbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #69
MiloDanglers
adept
 
MiloDanglers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 936
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Not surprised about Henderson. I think OSU was in the lead for awhile but you can tell he wants the bright lights and stardom.

When I heard he was flying to New York to announce on tv at 5:30, I had a feeling it was USC. I didn't think Jim Tressel would advise him to do that.

It hurts because we really needed some more linemen in this class. Getting Norwell is awesome but we needed Henderson or James to go with him. Hopefully next years class has at least 4 linemen or we are in trouble.

When was the last time that OSU had a good signing day? It seems we miss on most recruits that announce on signing day but I could have some selective memory here. I don't follow recruiting too closely.
MiloDanglers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #70
bdubbers
old hand
 
bdubbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,505
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

really disappointed about henderson. Midwest guy with all the big names schools going after him, Florida USC Notre Dame all have coaching changes and we still don't land him. seemed to lay out perfect for us and we couldn't close.
bdubbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #71
donniccolo
Pooh-Bah
 
donniccolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 5,955
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloDanglers View Post
Not surprised about Henderson. I think OSU was in the lead for awhile but you can tell he wants the bright lights and stardom.

When I heard he was flying to New York to announce on tv at 5:30, I had a feeling it was USC. I didn't think Jim Tressel would advise him to do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbers View Post
really disappointed about henderson. Midwest guy with all the big names schools going after him, Florida USC Notre Dame all have coaching changes and we still don't land him. seemed to lay out perfect for us and we couldn't close.
bright lights and fame is not OSU / Tres.

how are the "experts" ranking the OSU recruiting class? how did USC, Mich, Tex, ND and FLA do?
donniccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #72
TomCollins
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TomCollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Blockchain
Posts: 42,548
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniccolo View Post
bright lights and fame is not OSU / Tres.

how are the "experts" ranking the OSU recruiting class? how did USC, Mich, Tex, ND and FLA do?
Outside of the top 25.

Florida was rediculous, Texas was very good as well. USC quite good, ND very good. Michigan pretty good.

This isn't the year we needed a huge class, so hopefully next year brings in some studs. It's shaping up great already.
TomCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #73
heater
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
heater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Happy Easter!
Posts: 11,326
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

More drama: Seantrel Henderson has not signed an LOI. His pops said he is waiting until at least sometime later this month. USC is going before the infractions committee Feb. 19-21. They are waiting until at least then to try to get a feel for what sort of sanctions the NCAA is looking to hand down, if any, before he signs.
heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #74
centerright
banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 851
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Congrats to Ohio State for winning their first BCS bowl in 4 years by defeating an Oregon team with no defense. Not surprisingly, their recruiting class this year is mediocre.
centerright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #75
TomCollins
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TomCollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Blockchain
Posts: 42,548
Re: The Ohio State University: Buckeye Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerright View Post
Congrats to Ohio State for winning their first BCS bowl in 4 years by defeating an Oregon team with no defense. Not surprisingly, their recruiting class this year is mediocre.
Things go in cycles. tOSU football recruiting is based mostly on Ohio HS football. This year didn't have too many great players to get. Hicks wasn't really in Ohio long enough to count. Lost James, oh well. With so many players coming back and the team young, it happens. Can't sell the "lots of playing time for freshman" line too well. It just wasn't too strong of a class for Ohio HS football. Next year should be different.

I would have liked getting another lineman or two, but sometimes that's the way it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heater View Post
More drama: Seantrel Henderson has not signed an LOI. His pops said he is waiting until at least sometime later this month. USC is going before the infractions committee Feb. 19-21. They are waiting until at least then to try to get a feel for what sort of sanctions the NCAA is looking to hand down, if any, before he signs.
Smart kid (or dad). No rush on signing the LOI. No one is going to pull offers from him. Better to wait and see than sign up with a program with huge problems. I doubt they come too hard on USC, and he likely stays, but can always hold out hope.
TomCollins is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online