Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #76
Bigdaddydvo
King of the Politics Forum
 
Bigdaddydvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ^ ND Football jobs better than him
Posts: 20,094
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
That's because we're going to have a decided schematic advantage obv.
Your pony is quasi-slow with that joke. From the Politard Life Thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddydvo View Post
Before I forget, I'll take this opportunity to formally call out Dvaut, Ikes, and any other pollitard UM fan. You're on notice that the Fat One and his "decided schematic advantage" will lead the glorious Fighting Irish of Notre Dame to stomp a giant mudhole into the hapless Wolverines in their own "Big House."

Willing to back up this obvious plain truth with an Avatar/title bet, or am open to other suggestions. In the meantime you have my sympathies for it being such a downright awful time to a Michigan fan (which is pretty much any moment in human history imo).
But w/e, seeing that you've sacked Romeo as your avatar, if you want to do an avatar bet let me know.
Bigdaddydvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #77
Gandolfandiari
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Gandolfandiari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Over the Hills and Far Away
Posts: 11,419
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddydvo View Post
Religious bigotry ban imo. Or at least take it over RGT where that type of stuff is encouraged.
dies gloriously in purgatory with charlie weis....you'll never get out
Gandolfandiari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #78
DeadMoneyWalking
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DeadMoneyWalking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Avatar Archive
Posts: 28,025
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandolfandiari View Post
dies gloriously in purgatory with charlie weis....you'll never get out
Don't worry, still plenty of room in the 8th circle.
DeadMoneyWalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #79
MyTurn2Raise
Drug Free MVP
 
MyTurn2Raise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Descalso, Jay, and the pitcher
Posts: 40,591
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

doubtful... Charlie Weis will fill all the circles... he's fat yo!
MyTurn2Raise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:36 PM   #80
shemp
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: calmer than you are
Posts: 7,624
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

My worst fears have been realized. ND is back, whether Charlie leads them well (or at all) in the future. Truly exciting offensive threats that should keep them in games and get them some blow outs. I'm not sold on Michigan, yet, but I do they can win. I'd like to see a physical game to know how they hold up on that front. If they Michigan prevails, it is likely because God has abandoned ND. Hope is alive.
shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:13 AM   #81
Tumaterminator
HOCKEY!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 26,444
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

If by back you mean good enough to stomp on mediocre opponents from the WAC then you are correct.
Tumaterminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:24 AM   #82
SimonBarSinister
veteran
 
SimonBarSinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: In South Beach crushin hillbillies
Posts: 2,587
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

Lol, Must have missed that Michigan-Texas game last week.
SimonBarSinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:28 AM   #83
shemp
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: calmer than you are
Posts: 7,624
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumaterminator View Post
If by back you mean good enough to stomp on mediocre opponents from the WAC then you are correct.
I mean that they are going to start sending people into the NFL again. Somebody will win with that talent. Charlie or otherwise.
shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:14 AM   #84
DeadMoneyWalking
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DeadMoneyWalking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Avatar Archive
Posts: 28,025
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

The difference between trashing Weis and his predecessors is that Charlie is attacked by ND haters in a way that Ty and Boob never were. The previous 2 were attacked by the Domer fans themselves and left alone by the haters who'd trash ND in general. Why the difference? Because inside, they know that Weis can and will beat them, while the other two weren't a threat.

As much as I hate the analogy, it's partially true of RRod. He gets trashed mostly by Mich blue bloods and by fans of ootOSUs and the other opponents. Because they really don't want to see the kind of skilled option teams, that he once built with with the WVU talent, year after year. It will be hard for ND to win more than 2/3 of the games.
DeadMoneyWalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:18 AM   #85
NozeCandy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NozeCandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: lol goofybawler
Posts: 29,251
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

Eh, a lot of it is because of some of the things he said when he first got there. Just came off as really arrogant, and being fat and arrogant about anything or just fat in general is really at the top of my list of hates. For example, my non-existent friendships with fat girls. I'm joking. Sort of.

Saying things like the vastly overused schematic advantage and telling people to get their laughs in now when the team is terrible just don't play very well. He may wind up being right about people needing to rip on ND in 07 and kind of 08, but that's something you say after you're back on top, not coming up from the bottom. I don't like him, but I'm a Michigan fan, so I'm not supposed to. He's entertaining at the least though.
NozeCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:04 AM   #86
Tumaterminator
HOCKEY!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 26,444
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoneyWalking View Post
The difference between trashing Weis and his predecessors is that Charlie is attacked by ND haters in a way that Ty and Boob never were. The previous 2 were attacked by the Domer fans themselves and left alone by the haters who'd trash ND in general. Why the difference? Because inside, they know that Weis can and will beat them, while the other two weren't a threat.

As much as I hate the analogy, it's partially true of RRod. He gets trashed mostly by Mich blue bloods and by fans of ootOSUs and the other opponents. Because they really don't want to see the kind of skilled option teams, that he once built with with the WVU talent, year after year. It will be hard for ND to win more than 2/3 of the games.
Also because Ty recruited Brady Quinn and Carlysle Holiday
Tumaterminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:06 AM   #87
DeadMoneyWalking
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DeadMoneyWalking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Avatar Archive
Posts: 28,025
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NozeCandy View Post
Eh, a lot of it is because of some of the things he said when he first got there. Just came off as really arrogant, and being fat and arrogant about anything or just fat in general is really at the top of my list of hates. For example, my non-existent friendships with fat girls. I'm joking. Sort of.

Saying things like the vastly overused schematic advantage and telling people to get their laughs in now when the team is terrible just don't play very well. He may wind up being right about people needing to rip on ND in 07 and kind of 08, but that's something you say after you're back on top, not coming up from the bottom. I don't like him, but I'm a Michigan fan, so I'm not supposed to. He's entertaining at the least though.
It's overused by the trashers. Can anyone find the youtube clip of him saying it? You can't, because he said it once to the players in a team meeting in early 2005. No one actually cared until 2007; when Weis started losing they needed ammunition.

I bet Urban Meyer has said 100 thing 100x worse and no one will bring it up, unless of course things go sour.

Last edited by DeadMoneyWalking; 09-11-2009 at 05:11 AM.
DeadMoneyWalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:10 AM   #88
DeadMoneyWalking
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DeadMoneyWalking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Avatar Archive
Posts: 28,025
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumaterminator View Post
Also because Ty recruited Brady Quinn and Carlisle Holiday
I don't follow. Also, Quinn was never going anywhere else and Haliday was already starting QB when Ty was hired.
DeadMoneyWalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:17 AM   #89
Tumaterminator
HOCKEY!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 26,444
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

Woops. Aside form that, I thought ND was much more respectable under Ty than they have been under Weis.
Tumaterminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:55 AM   #90
LuckyLloyd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LuckyLloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: There's always next year...
Posts: 10,961
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NozeCandy View Post
Eh, a lot of it is because of some of the things he said when he first got there. Just came off as really arrogant, and being fat and arrogant about anything or just fat in general is really at the top of my list of hates. For example, my non-existent friendships with fat girls. I'm joking. Sort of.
I know it's this thread and all but, jeez, stay classy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NozeCandy View Post
Saying things like the vastly overused schematic advantage and telling people to get their laughs in now when the team is terrible just don't play very well. He may wind up being right about people needing to rip on ND in 07 and kind of 08, but that's something you say after you're back on top, not coming up from the bottom. I don't like him, but I'm a Michigan fan, so I'm not supposed to. He's entertaining at the least though.
2007 was a horrendous abomination, but it did come after two BCS bowl seasons / the comeback against Michigan St / the epic tussle with USC. Yeah, yeah, 2007 and 2008 remain opportunities missed in that the roster was probably good enough to contend for a National Title and it didn't - but the team was at the upper echelon of the college game for those seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumaterminator View Post
Woops. Aside form that, I thought ND was much more respectable under Ty than they have been under Weis.
Ty is a genuinely nice and decent guy, who consistently gets his players to perform impeccably during the vast majority of any given week (crucially excepting Saturday afternoons). It is nice as a fan to know that your players are upstanding off the field / for them to interview well / for the coach to come across well with the media. And it certainly made horrendous 2003 and 2004 seasons a little easier to swallow.

But the reality is that Weis seems to have a better handle on the program as a whole (seriously) and we are poised to have a better season than last year - which was a better season than the year before, i.e. there is real progress on the field. Being honest with you, I won't care that Clausen is a douche or that Weis isn't particularly presentable (in terms of what he says) so long as we're winning regularly.

And in any case, it isn't like the program has fallen to pieces in terms of behaviour and discipline under Weis and Notre Dame has become an SEC school in that regard.
LuckyLloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:05 AM   #91
Tumaterminator
HOCKEY!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 26,444
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

actually upon looking back, ty had one decent season and then was awful. I guess my only memories of Weis is him losing a couple of bowl games. and then the past 2 years.
Tumaterminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:23 AM   #92
LuckyLloyd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LuckyLloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: There's always next year...
Posts: 10,961
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumaterminator View Post
actually upon looking back, ty had one decent season and then was awful. I guess my only memories of Weis is him losing a couple of bowl games. and then the past 2 years.
Yeah, plus the second awful season was more awful than the one which preceded it - which makes a position practically untenable. And the decent one was marred in people's memories by a shocking upset defeat to Boston College at home after Ty had sent them out in green jerseys. And it ended with two consecutive blow out defeats to USC and North Carolina State.

And for Weis, there was definite improvement last year (yeah, really).
LuckyLloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #93
heater
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
heater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Happy Easter!
Posts: 11,324
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoneyWalking View Post
The difference between trashing Weis and his predecessors is that Charlie is attacked by ND haters in a way that Ty and Boob never were. The previous 2 were attacked by the Domer fans themselves and left alone by the haters who'd trash ND in general. Why the difference? Because inside, they know that Weis can and will beat them, while the other two weren't a threat.

As much as I hate the analogy, it's partially true of RRod. He gets trashed mostly by Mich blue bloods and by fans of ootOSUs and the other opponents. Because they really don't want to see the kind of skilled option teams, that he once built with with the WVU talent, year after year. It will be hard for ND to win more than 2/3 of the games.
Name a coach who comes off as more arrogant than Charlie Weis in interviews. It's not just what he says, it's his whole demeanor. He's a ****ing arrogant prick. Combine monumental arrogance with his lack of success and this is the reaction you get. It's not that hard to figure out. I know he's your coach and all, but I don't understand why anyone defends the guy, including your fans. I need to find the story where T. Pryor's HS coach talks about Charlie's visit. It was hilarious.

Last edited by heater; 09-11-2009 at 08:02 AM.
heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:19 AM   #94
Bigdaddydvo
King of the Politics Forum
 
Bigdaddydvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ^ ND Football jobs better than him
Posts: 20,094
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumaterminator View Post
actually upon looking back, ty had one decent season and then was awful. I guess my only memories of Weis is him losing a couple of bowl games. and then the past 2 years.
It should be noted that Ty was a disaster at Washington as well.
Bigdaddydvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #95
Tumaterminator
HOCKEY!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 26,444
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

0-12 isn't that bad
Tumaterminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:15 AM   #96
heater
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
heater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Happy Easter!
Posts: 11,324
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoneyWalking View Post
Why the difference? Because inside, they know that Weis can and will beat them, while the other two weren't a threat.
This is laughable.
heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #97
Bigdaddydvo
King of the Politics Forum
 
Bigdaddydvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ^ ND Football jobs better than him
Posts: 20,094
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

You know as bad as Ty was, he did beat Michigan twice.
Bigdaddydvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #98
DVaut1
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DVaut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 30,027
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoneyWalking View Post
The previous 2 were attacked by the Domer fans themselves and left alone by the haters who'd trash ND in general. Why the difference? Because inside, they know that Weis can and will beat them, while the other two weren't a threat.
Isn't Notre Dame under Weis like 10-17 in the last two seasons?

I mean you're about to play a Michigan team starting two true freshman and a walk-on at QB, a team that went 3-9 last year, a team that is expected to go something like 6-6 this year -- and ND would probably be ~TD favorite on a neutral field with a team full of upperclassmen recruited by Weis, including an upperclassmen starting QB who is older than last year's #1 NFL draft pick -- and this is a very intimidating coach to face off with?

Weis has been at Notre Dame 4 seasons now. Can we identify what his signature win is? He beat a...7-5 Michigan team? Beat a WAC team in a bowl game no one cares about?

I think deep down inside, people KNOW Charlie Weis can probably win the Command in Chief's trophy, except when Navy gets uppity. And yeah, he can beat Michigan when they're 7-5 or 3-9. Congrats, Charlie Weis joins the elite coaching ranks, like Jerry Moore at Appalachian State and that guy who coaches at Toledo. Other than that, I really don't think Charlie Weis has actually beat anyone, right?

Why would anyone be scared of this guy? I'm pretty happy he's there to be honest. Imagine what ND could have been with someone like Urban Meyer. Charlie Weis is just fine at ND from my perspective, and I hope he doesn't implode this year so that he's around a while longer. And I mean that 100% sincerely, and I bet if you polled most of the fans of Notre Dame's rivals, they'd honestly say the same. Notre Dame still has the cachet to be very very dangerous if they had a better coach.
DVaut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #99
Bigdaddydvo
King of the Politics Forum
 
Bigdaddydvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ^ ND Football jobs better than him
Posts: 20,094
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVaut1 View Post
Isn't Notre Dame under Weis like 10-17 in the last two seasons?

I mean you're about to play a Michigan team starting two true freshman and a walk-on at QB, a team that went 3-9 last year, a team that is expected to go something like 6-6 this year -- and ND would probably be ~TD favorite on a neutral field with a team full of upperclassmen recruited by Weis, including an upperclassmen starting QB who is older than last year's #1 NFL draft pick -- and this is a very intimidating coach to face off with?

Weis has been at Notre Dame 4 seasons now. Can we identify what his signature win is? He beat a...7-5 Michigan team? Beat a WAC team in a bowl game no one cares about?

I think deep down inside, people KNOW Charlie Weis can probably win the Command in Chief's trophy, except when Navy gets uppity. And yeah, he can beat Michigan when they're 7-5 or 3-9. Congrats, Charlie Weis joins the elite coaching ranks, like Jerry Moore at Appalachian State and that guy who coaches at Toledo. Other than that, I really don't think Charlie Weis has actually beat anyone, right?

Why would anyone be scared of this guy? I'm pretty happy he's there to be honest. Imagine what ND could have been with someone like Urban Meyer. Charlie Weis is just fine at ND from my perspective, and I hope he doesn't implode this year so that he's around a while longer. And I mean that 100% sincerely, and I bet if you polled most of the fans of Notre Dame's rivals, they'd honestly say the same. Notre Dame still has the cachet to be very very dangerous if they had a better coach.
I generally agree with this. See the title of my OP.

Basically I've got a "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with" attitude with Weis. I think regardless of who the coach was '07 and '08 would have been challenging due to huge lacks in depth and experience. That said, a better coach would have found a way to beat Navy/USAFA two years ago and Syracuse last year. No one doubts that CW's learning curve has been steep, and that ND is pretty much the last program in the country to go to for on the job training. Would I have loved to get Urban Meyer, **** yeah I would have (Fla's amazing results speak for themselves). At this point at least, there's reason to be optimistic. ND right now has the best talent its had since probably the early 1990s, and recruiting continues to be a strong point. The roster finally has some depth. They have the best defensive coordinator in college football in Jon Tenuta. Weis's offensive credentials are hardly in dispute. The question is really of CW the "manager"--can he put it all together? If he can't and goes something like 7-5 w/this schedule I'll be the first to call for his head (I actually was leaning strongly in favor of a coaching change at the end of last year). At the very least, regardless of how 2009 turns out, he'll have left the program in exponentially better shape than he inherited it.

BTW I know Dick Rod isn't real popular among certain segments of the UM faithful, but forget that. He's an outstanding coach, just outside the top tier of Tressel, Carrol, Meyer, and Stoops imo. He was an excellent hire, and I think once his talent and system are in place UM will be as formidable as ever. Put it this way, I was pissed when he got hired because I know what it will do to our chances against you guys every year.
Bigdaddydvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #100
NozeCandy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NozeCandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: lol goofybawler
Posts: 29,251
Re: Charlie Weis's Last Stand: Notre Dame Football, 2009 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoneyWalking View Post
It's overused by the trashers. Can anyone find the youtube clip of him saying it? You can't, because he said it once to the players in a team meeting in early 2005. No one actually cared until 2007; when Weis started losing they needed ammunition.

I bet Urban Meyer has said 100 thing 100x worse and no one will bring it up, unless of course things go sour.
I know, this is what I meant. My general point was that he came off as really arrogant when he got there and didn't do himself many favors despite toning it down in recent years.
NozeCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online