Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #201
Wynton
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Wynton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Graphville
Posts: 15,188
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

I approve of the order (as I understand it), with Murphy batting second, Schneider 7th and Castillo 8th.

I think that Castillo - whom I dread seeing anywhere in the lineup - might draw a fair number of walks in the eighth position, which is all he really seems to want to do anyway. Helping to clear the pitcher's spot occasionally may be all we can expect out of him.

I also suspect that both Castillo and Schneider will be on relatively short leashes if they stink up the joint.
Wynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #202
samjjones2
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 224
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

I support the possible signing of Sheffield.

Even if he's marginally more healthy than last year, and can reach the cutoff guy, his power/patience and RH bat would be a good fit in the 6 hole.

Yes, he's over the hill and an extreme a-hole, but its not like the Mets clubhouse is harmonious, anyway.

Sign him for the minimum, and glorify platoon him in right and left. If he comes out hitting, either bench Church or use Murphy as utility guy all over the place (3B, 2B, 1B, corners).

If he doesn't work out after a month, dump his azz.
samjjones2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #203
Needle77
No Longer Protecting
 
Needle77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kutztown is in the Hall of Fame
Posts: 43,145
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyramidScheme View Post
people that want to bat the pitcher anything but 9th are ridiculous
Santana should bat 6th, Pelfrey 8th, Maine 9th, Ollie 5th, Livan Hernandez 7th

Tatis should be our closer due to his clutchness as well.
Needle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #204
JordanIB
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,453
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

Pass on Manny (and never express one iota of interest).

Pursue Sheffield with great interest.

Typical Mets.
JordanIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #205
samjjones2
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 224
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanIB View Post
Pass on Manny (and never express one iota of interest).

Pursue Sheffield with great interest.

Typical Mets.
Sheffield will command approximately $24.5 million less this season than Manny.
samjjones2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #206
metsandfinsfan
cake eater
 
metsandfinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: waiting for well named
Posts: 146,456
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

sheff would help a lot
metsandfinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:07 PM   #207
Wynton
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Wynton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Graphville
Posts: 15,188
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

Not sure how I feel about Sheff. I think my feelings depend on his ability to accept a reduced role, i.e., platoon or bench. If he could really do that, then great.

NY Post says they are close to signing him, and are promising "significant playing time," whatever that means.

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/st/ar...lose_to_s.html

I am very high on Daniel Murphy and don't want to see his time cut as a result. But my sense is that management feels the same way, and is more concerned about Ryan Church's performance.

Personally, I'd like to give Church and Murphy a chance to show that they're full-time players. But if that opportunity is still possible, then I see little down-side to signing Sheff. Maybe he could even spot Delgado at times?
Wynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #208
niss
Pencil-Necked Geek
 
niss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Fashionplate of Hollywood
Posts: 15,842
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

I don't want him because his attitude is not commensurate with the role he will play. He will not be satisfied being a part-time player no matter what he says. One of the things I just read is he wants to come to the Mets to showcase himself for next year. Yeah he's going to be thrilled playing a few games a week. If he was just a bad guy, the signing would make a ton of sense. But he isn't just a bad guy, he's the worst.

I was really hoping the Phils would get him because I could see him killing them.

I know the Mets want a right-handed bat; if that wasn't such a concern, I would rather have Bonds.
niss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #209
samjjones2
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 224
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by niss View Post
I don't want him because his attitude is not commensurate with the role he will play. He will not be satisfied being a part-time player no matter what he says. One of the things I just read is he wants to come to the Mets to showcase himself for next year. Yeah he's going to be thrilled playing a few games a week. If he was just a bad guy, the signing would make a ton of sense. But he isn't just a bad guy, he's the worst.

I was really hoping the Phils would get him because I could see him killing them.

I know the Mets want a right-handed bat; if that wasn't such a concern, I would rather have Bonds.
I don't think Sheff has much left in the tank, but if you have to get him, you want the version that is motivated and playing for a contract.

And its not like the Mets clubhouse is that harmonious, anyway.

For $400K, seems like a no-brainer move to me. Bye bye, Marlon.
samjjones2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #210
wh1t3bread
Pooh-Bah
 
wh1t3bread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Two Hands Luis!
Posts: 4,202
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

On the one hand it's hard to argue with $400k and him taking Marlon Anderson's waste of a roster spot. On the other hand Sheff is a liability defensively and this could wind up taking a lot of playing time away from Murphy/Church.
wh1t3bread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #211
niss
Pencil-Necked Geek
 
niss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Fashionplate of Hollywood
Posts: 15,842
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

Comparing him to Marlon Anderson is illogical IMO. Anderson is a bench/role player. While his bat was suspect last year, he can field and he can run, two qualities you want from that kind of role player. Sheffield cannot field. He might still be OK running, that remains to be seen.

Sheffield would take Nick Evans' spot for now, and if they ultimately trade Sheffield for Anderson then one has to wonder why Anderson was on the team to begin with.

I don't get how a supposedly un-harmonious clubhouse = more reason to bring Sheffield in. First off, the clubhouse was fine last year after the manager was changed (supposedly). Secondly, if the clubhouse is a powder keg (which I don't believe it is), is bringing in a spark a good idea? Sheffield is going to hurt Dan Murphy and he is going to hurt Church with what I expect to be constant complaining about playing time.

The comment about Sheffield being "motivated" is kind of LOL. Sheffield has always been motivated. For himself. When he was in his prime, and wasn't making errors on purpose, a team could overlook that because his numbers were so good. At 40 years old, coming off a year hitting .220, and being required to play the field, I'm not so sure I want that.

I really wanted them to bring in Manny, and I am against Sheffield. That says something: either this is a truly atrocious move, or I really have no idea what I'm talking about.
niss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:50 PM   #212
samjjones2
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 224
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh1t3bread View Post
On the one hand it's hard to argue with $400k and him taking Marlon Anderson's waste of a roster spot. On the other hand Sheff is a liability defensively and this could wind up taking a lot of playing time away from Murphy/Church.

The only way this takes substantial PT away from those two is if Sheffield produces (happy problem to have). Mets will not give Sheff 400 at-bats if he's not doing anything to help the team. Even Omar knows this.
samjjones2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #213
samjjones2
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 224
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by niss View Post
Comparing him to Marlon Anderson is illogical IMO. Anderson is a bench/role player. While his bat was suspect last year, he can field and he can run, two qualities you want from that kind of role player. Sheffield cannot field. He might still be OK running, that remains to be seen.

Sheffield would take Nick Evans' spot for now, and if they ultimately trade Sheffield for Anderson then one has to wonder why Anderson was on the team to begin with.

I don't get how a supposedly un-harmonious clubhouse = more reason to bring Sheffield in. First off, the clubhouse was fine last year after the manager was changed (supposedly). Secondly, if the clubhouse is a powder keg (which I don't believe it is), is bringing in a spark a good idea? Sheffield is going to hurt Dan Murphy and he is going to hurt Church with what I expect to be constant complaining about playing time.

The comment about Sheffield being "motivated" is kind of LOL. Sheffield has always been motivated. For himself. When he was in his prime, and wasn't making errors on purpose, a team could overlook that because his numbers were so good. At 40 years old, coming off a year hitting .220, and being required to play the field, I'm not so sure I want that.

I really wanted them to bring in Manny, and I am against Sheffield. That says something: either this is a truly atrocious move, or I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

Again, this is a zero risk move. If he doesn't fit in, or doesn't produce, he's gone. Mets have no substantial financial investment in him.

Mets love Murphy, and many within the organization aren't thrilled with Church. Church is what he is...a really solid 4th ofer who hits well vs. righties. He is exposed vs. lefties, and Sheff could potentially help there. Sheff also could potentially hedge against Murphy flopping (don't think it will happen, but never know).

I'd much rather have a 40 year healthy Sheff getting at-bats in the 6 hole than Tatis or Nick Evans (who is a borderline MLBer at this point anyway). Sheff may not have much more power than Tatis at this point, but his defensive value isn't much worse and pitchers still have to respect him.

Marlon Anderson is flotsam. Good luck to him in his future coaching endeavors.
samjjones2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #214
Triumph36
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Triumph36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Osi Ukin'-yora
Posts: 40,914
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

sheffield's not a good fit for the mets, he's a rotten fielder and his bat is suspect. if he were willing to take a part-time role he'd be perfect, but i very much doubt that he is, so the mets have to pass. in a 250 AB, 100 game sort of role as a pinch hitter/lefty masher he'd do well, but i can't see him dropping to that.
Triumph36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #215
wh1t3bread
Pooh-Bah
 
wh1t3bread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Two Hands Luis!
Posts: 4,202
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

Looks like it's a done deal. Let's hope Sheffield is okay with being a bench player.
wh1t3bread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #216
samjjones2
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 224
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

If this somehow results in more Doc sightings around Citi Field, I will be pleased.
samjjones2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #217
wh1t3bread
Pooh-Bah
 
wh1t3bread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Two Hands Luis!
Posts: 4,202
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

Quote:
Sheffield chose the Mets over the Phillies and Reds because he believes he'll get more playing time with the Mets -- although Mets people have said no promises have been made.
Hmmmm.
wh1t3bread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #218
Suigin406
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Suigin406's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: gogogo
Posts: 27,119
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

Jeez wh1t, that statement has already gotten me worried about when he'll go off.

This means anderson gets cut right? While I didn't think the fit would be a good one if he took playing time away from murphy/tatis/church, this deal can't be that bad, right? Let's see how he accepts a role position, though I guess we could get rid of him at early signs of trouble.

So much for thinking evans would be a bit closer when anderson got cut, but whatever.
Suigin406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #219
Wynton
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Wynton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Graphville
Posts: 15,188
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by niss View Post
I don't get how a supposedly un-harmonious clubhouse = more reason to bring Sheffield in.
This is the first I've heard about the clubhouse being "un-harmonious."
Wynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #220
souL gazE
grinder
 
souL gazE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 417
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

If Sheff can wholeheartedly accept his reduced role, he'll help. My money is that he will be a malcontent when he doesn't get enough AB's. However, it's an easy cut when that happens.
souL gazE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #221
wh1t3bread
Pooh-Bah
 
wh1t3bread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Two Hands Luis!
Posts: 4,202
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

Evans is likely headed to Buffalo right now and then when Livan is due to pitch a decision will need to be made. We know Castro, Tatis & Cora are all safe on the bench. So it comes down to Anderson and Reed. If they send Reed to Buffalo then the only viable CF option to spell Beltran is Church.
wh1t3bread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:49 PM   #222
niss
Pencil-Necked Geek
 
niss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Fashionplate of Hollywood
Posts: 15,842
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjjones2 View Post
Again, this is a zero risk move. If he doesn't fit in, or doesn't produce, he's gone. Mets have no substantial financial investment in him.
This is a good point, if there was some way to guaranty that it was true. If Omar has said to himself "the minute this guy gets out of line he's on the bread line", then I'm OK with it. I don't have confidence in Omar though to jettison this guy before he does damage.

I don't get the stuff about Church. Before he got hurt last year, he was their best player. Unless there is some lingering medical concern, I do not know what the guy did to be held in such disregard.

I also don't get this "exposed versus LHP" thing. He hit lefties just fine last year until he got hurt, and wound up hitting .264 vs. LHP vs. .282 against RHP. Same HR ratio. Slightly lower slugging. His career splits are not terrible either to the point that one thinks OMG he has to platoon or be a 4th OF.
niss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #223
Triumph36
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Triumph36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Osi Ukin'-yora
Posts: 40,914
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

church is not that far above replacement against lefties and you have to figure he's usually sitting against the best ones, too.
Triumph36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #224
Frankie6636
banned
 
Frankie6636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 998
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

I personally have always hated him, but I guess we gotta give him a chance. As long as he dosent cause any problems I am fine with it, also maybe he is that "fire" and leadership we might need(who knows?!!). But I think for the min contract he is worth it, if he does anything dumb he will just be dropped
Frankie6636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:56 PM   #225
wh1t3bread
Pooh-Bah
 
wh1t3bread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Two Hands Luis!
Posts: 4,202
Re: New York Mets 2009: Citi Field Inaugural Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by niss View Post
This is a good point, if there was some way to guaranty that it was true. If Omar has said to himself "the minute this guy gets out of line he's on the bread line", then I'm OK with it. I don't have confidence in Omar though to jettison this guy before he does damage.
Well he did cut Julio Franco despite his obvious infatuation with him at the time. So there is some sort of precedent here. However, I won't be holding my breath.

This was obviously a genius signing as now the Mets have a DH for all those away games during inter-league.
wh1t3bread is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online