Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #126
dlk9s
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
dlk9s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Correct, as usual.
Posts: 21,776
Re: Favre to Vikings?

Yahoo! Sports reporting that Favre is not going to play for the Vikings.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Quote:
...Favre told Vikings coach Brad Childress that he wanted to remain retired in a phone call that took place sometime in the last day. Favre is expected to publicly explain his decision soon.
Please let this be true. As a Packers fan, I'm annoyed with Favre, but still like him. I don't want to hate him.
dlk9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #127
DukeSucks
maverick avatar mechanic
 
DukeSucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MVP
Posts: 8,648
Re: Favre to Vikings?

ESPN just reported it's not gonna happen

Last edited by DukeSucks; 05-07-2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: dammit dlk
DukeSucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #128
SMIGLET
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SMIGLET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SCAM GOAT
Posts: 14,837
Re: Favre to Vikings?

well the vikings wanted him to attend all OTA's training camp etc right? something he has never done?

not surprising. i wouldnt be surprised at all if he pulls some shenanigans sometime before august tho
SMIGLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #129
jeffery
newbie
 
jeffery's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 22
Re: Favre to Vikings?

go home Brett...go home....
jeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #130
cha59
ARTist
 
cha59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: I like meat.
Posts: 24,504
Re: Favre to Vikings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIGLET View Post
well the vikings wanted him to attend all OTA's training camp etc right? something he has never done?

not surprising. i wouldnt be surprised at all if he pulls some shenanigans sometime before august tho
Kevin Seifert says there is probably no real reason for Favre's decision, aside from Favre being a "pathological waffler", lol. I'd be surprised if this is the last we hear about him.
cha59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #131
ajmargarine
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ajmargarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: esoterica
Posts: 21,228
Re: Favre to Vikings?

Oh c'mon, how can not this major news bump this thread, heh. from ESPN

Quote:
A source close to the situation told ESPN's Jeremy Schaap on Friday that X-rays of Favre's right shoulder -- he has pain resulting from a torn biceps tendon -- have been sent to the Vikings and that the X-rays are in the process of being evaluated. If it is determined by Favre's and the Vikings' medical people that he needs anything less than "major" surgery on his shoulder, Favre will un-retire to play for the Vikings, the source said.
ajmargarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #132
RedSoxFan19
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,371
Re: Favre to Vikings?

Favre sent his X-Rays to the Vikings. The Vikings and Favre probably leaked out that Favre said he doesn't want to play so it doesn't blow up even bigger. Favre is a sell out and ESPN has reported Favre is eager to play in the Packers division because he still has disdain for Packer management. At this point, Aaron Rodgers and even Ted Thompson are more beloved in Green Bay than Brett Favre.
RedSoxFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #133
mclaughlin04
veteran
 
mclaughlin04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: naptown
Posts: 2,400
Re: Favre to Vikings?

I really can't really blame him for not liking Ted Thompson. Both sides handled the situation extremely poorly last year.
mclaughlin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #134
max gridlock
banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 178
Re: Favre to Vikings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIGLET View Post
well the vikings wanted him to attend all OTA's training camp etc right? something he has never done?

not surprising. i wouldnt be surprised at all if he pulls some shenanigans sometime before august tho
from what i remember the Packers had Favre work out all offseason with a personal trainer before 2007 when the Pack went 12 - 4 and Brett had a very good season. but in years past Favre was not attending all the offseason stuff, although there are a few mandatory ones (and not working out very hard on his own either).

thing is if Favre works hard in the offseason, is healthy, and comes out of the game when he is hurting he could be an asset. but who knows if Favre is willing to commit to this.

thing is if Favre pulls this stunt in August every team besides the Vikes say no for sure and the Vikes are only a maybe and thats cause the Vikes are desperate and Favre should be able to adapt to Childress's offense quickly.

it really is not a horrible fit. but Favre really does not need to compromise a bit at his age otherwise it won't end well.
max gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #135
BillNye
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
BillNye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 9,866
Re: Favre to Vikings?

I wonder if Booty has his new # picked out yet.

and in other news the body of 31 yr old Sage Rosenfals was found dead in St. Paul Minnesota last night.
BillNye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #136
max gridlock
banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 178
Re: Favre to Vikings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolbiny View Post
Favre's best seasons are when he throws the least. If you go to profootball-reference and sort by # of attempts you see that the 7 years he threw the fewest passes are all pro bowl years while none of his 5 highest years of attempts are.
to me this is always one of the worst stats in football.

ooh when a team gets 30 attempts they win. well maybe they got 30 attempts because they were way ahead. its backwards they played really well hence they got to sit on the ball.

same thing with qbs. when they have an efficient day or the offense as a whole has an efficient day there is no need to chuck it around the park as much.

a bad defense that always puts you behind causes qbs to have to throw 50
times in spots that the defense knows you have to throw. hence, your efficiency stats suffer.

measuring an individual players' ability in football is one the toughest things to do.
max gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:05 PM   #137
ajmargarine
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ajmargarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: esoterica
Posts: 21,228
Re: Favre to Vikings?

TJack is 0-6 career when he has 30+ attempts.
ajmargarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:48 PM   #138
CheckRaise
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
CheckRaise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: $450,000 crack party
Posts: 21,650
Re: Favre to Vikings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmargarine View Post
TJack is 0-6 career when he has 30+ attempts.
lol this is not surprising at all
CheckRaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #139
cha59
ARTist
 
cha59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: I like meat.
Posts: 24,504
Re: Favre to Vikings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmargarine View Post
TJack is 0-6 career when he has 30+ attempts.
This is a good indicator of what he would be like with a less than stellar running game & defense supporting him. I think if Childress had not traded up for this bum, he might not be in the league right now, and certainly would not be considered for a starting job anywhere else.

Dan Barreiro said this morning that his guess on a scale of 0 - 10 (0=no way, 10=sure thing) of if he thought that Favre would be starting for the purple in game one this September, he would put that number at 9. I wouldnt have thought the chances were so high based on all the news I've seen. Its hard to figure what you hear is good info and what is misinformation.
cha59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #140
BillNye
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
BillNye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 9,866
Re: Favre to Vikings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cha59 View Post
Dan Barreiro said this morning that his guess on a scale of 0 - 10 (0=no way, 10=sure thing) of if he thought that Favre would be starting for the purple in game one this September, he would put that number at 9. I wouldnt have thought the chances were so high based on all the news I've seen. Its hard to figure what you hear is good info and what is misinformation.
5 imo
BillNye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:51 PM   #141
Victor
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 61,001
Re: Favre to Vikings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipontilt View Post
can't possibly understand how all you delusional Vikings fans think they have more weapons. a bunch of "levels" "lols" but I dont even know your receivers.

Sidney Rice? ORLY?

Cotchery > Berrian

Coles >>>> Whoever you claim is No. 2 receiver

Oline hands down much better at every single position.

And yes, Adrian Peterson admittedly is a God. But it's not like Thomas Jones and Leon Washington did not provide good years at their position.

it's like you vikings fan say "hey we have one good player that makes our offense great"
cotchery and coles are a pretty good combo, but berrian is far far better than both. not sure if that is enough to say the vikes have better "weapons" but you are really underrating berrian who has elite potential imo.
Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #142
vetiver
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
vetiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,746
Re: Favre to Vikings?

i love the disgruntled jets fan trying to argue that favre is worse than the lions' 3rd string QB and the jets are stronger all around outside the QB position than vikes despite vikes being twice as likely to win superbowl in futures. our defense was like 3x better than NYJ without our probowl caliber MLB.

i don't know about the favre <> sage <> tjax debate. my first inclination is to say owner/higherups at MIN know enough about football and gauging player strength to NOT be signing a gimp QB that's going to sink their team. The fact that chilly remains their head coach, however, disproves that theory.

i don't agree with the "vikings are running team so they don't need a qb tossing INT's" argument. first of all, i have to imagine that on average favre will be facing more DB's because he's inherently better at finding the open receiver and picking a defense apart. though this would equalize qb stats, favre actually provides a net benefit by increasing YPC for AP/CT. second, "a qb tossing INTs" was all they had last year... tjax averaged one fatal error per game. where favre could lack in youth and arm strength he may compensate with experience and the ability to read defenses. sage is the wildcard because his proponents could argue that he combines a little experience and sufficient arm strength to take vikings where they need to go. i'll buy that, but they better be right... all i remember is sage singlehandedly blowing that game vs IND.

lastly, let me just say that favre or no favre the vikings are going to make so many bad-to-mediocre teams cry this year. henderson is back, madieu is healthy (afaik), and if they don't miss Birk's presence too much *cross fingers* they should steamroll division. gus is gonnnneeee wheeeeeee
vetiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #143
vhawk01
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
vhawk01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: GHoFFANMWYD
Posts: 31,866
Re: Favre to Vikings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cha59 View Post
People with knowledge of the situation say that Sage was Spielman's guy. Chilly wants Favre bad, and there are other people in the organization (Spielman) who are not very interested in Favre. This whole thing is Chilly's baby. If Favre fails, the blame falls squarely on Childress.

All good imo.
This would be more believable if it werent for TJax, who was also Chilly's baby, has basically failed at this point, but Chilly still draws a paycheck.
vhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #144
RedSoxFan19
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,371
Re: Favre to Vikings?

About 90% to happen and a 95% failure rate. Brett Favre played terrible last year and blames it all on a bad elbow, yet he refuses to get surgery to repair it. It's just an excuse. Favre knows he's washed up but he needs an excuse to why his career ended in shame last season. Now he's going to come back and say that he's football's iron man because he's gutting it out with a bad elbow. The gunslinger is back for revenge against all odds. What a joke.
RedSoxFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #145
vetiver
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
vetiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,746
Re: Favre to Vikings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFan19 View Post
About 90% to happen and a 95% failure rate. Brett Favre played terrible last year and blames it all on a bad elbow, yet he refuses to get surgery to repair it. It's just an excuse. Favre knows he's washed up but he needs an excuse to why his career ended in shame last season. Now he's going to come back and say that he's football's iron man because he's gutting it out with a bad elbow. The gunslinger is back for revenge against all odds. What a joke.
ted thompson?
vetiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #146
cha59
ARTist
 
cha59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: I like meat.
Posts: 24,504
Re: Favre to Vikings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhawk01 View Post
This would be more believable if it werent for TJax, who was also Chilly's baby, has basically failed at this point, but Chilly still draws a paycheck.
Childress is now in the 4th year of a 5 year deal. If the Vikes hadn't won the division last year, he might have been fired after last season. He is on thin ice and knows it. Its much easier for an owner to swallow paying a guy one year's salary than two after firing him.
cha59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #147
RedSoxFan19
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,371
Re: Favre to Vikings?

Favre will in fact have surgery later this week. This almost guarantees that he will sign with the Vikings and stab the whole state of Wisconsin in the back.

Aaron Rodgers > Brett Favre
RedSoxFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #148
NameOnTheCake
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NameOnTheCake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: we're not enemies, we just disagree
Posts: 19,597
Re: Favre to Vikings?

lol
NameOnTheCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #149
Golden_Rhino
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Golden_Rhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bester Forever
Posts: 9,056
Re: Favre to Vikings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFan19 View Post
Favre will in fact have surgery later this week. This almost guarantees that he will sign with the Vikings and stab the whole state of Wisconsin in the back.

Aaron Rodgers > Brett Favre

Golden_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #150
Exitonly
Ray of Hope
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In Play, (runs)
Posts: 17,719
Re: Favre to Vikings?

how does Packers-Vikings rate as a rivalry?

Is this like Jeter going to the Red Sox/Clemens to the Yankees? Or more like the Orioles.
Exitonly is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online