Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 01:09 AM   #276
Fonkey123
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Fonkey123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MARRY ME!!!
Posts: 12,336
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
trade value involves contracts. they aren't claiming that wieters is better than mccann right now, but he is cheaper and comes with 1-2 extra years of service.

and you're not an mlb gm for a reason afaik
Well 6th, and 5th respectively are close enough in distinction that it's fine to decline the trade imo.
Fonkey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:44 AM   #277
Phildo
doesn't watch the games
 
Phildo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: champagne room
Posts: 22,773
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

he was pretty clear in his post that he found fangraphs putting wieters ahead of mccann to be laughable. like not even close laughable.

if i misinterpreted his post and he actually meant "these two players are quite close in value and picking between them is rather difficult" then i will apologize. i'm pretty sure i won't have to, though
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:10 AM   #278
Fonkey123
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Fonkey123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MARRY ME!!!
Posts: 12,336
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

Yeah, but you have to add +2 homer points on the scale of 1 to 10.
Fonkey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:44 AM   #279
DCIAce
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DCIAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,540
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

Dear Braves, please sweep the Giants. I know Zito looks like a tough opponent looming, but you can rest guys against some nobody pitcher today to prepare.

Thanks!
DCIAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #280
TJ Eckleburg12
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TJ Eckleburg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 11,185
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

I'm just saying let's see Wieters do it above the AAA level for a year or two or three or four (like Mac has) before we go crowning him.

And Mac has a very reasonable contract as well, considering how utterly awesome he is.
TJ Eckleburg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #281
manbearpig
Pooh-Bah
 
manbearpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,754
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

Every now and then I like to read through the comments section from Braves articles and blogs in the AJC. The comments lately have been focusing on trade deadline stuff mostly.

I am not sure where I stand on this year to be honest. If Hudson comes back healthy the Braves have 6 quality starters.

JJ
Lowe
Hanson
Vasquez
KK
Hudson


Does Hudson come back starting in the bullpen? Seems like it would be a good way to ease him back in and the Braves could use the extra arm out there. To be honest, I don't think its fair to expect much, if anything, out of Hudson.

As far as trades go Hanson and JJ are untouchable and Hudson/Lowe/KK won't bring value, leaving just Vasquez as potential trade bait. His value has never been higher and he is probably due for a regression but he has been outstanding this year. I think he is signed through next year as well. I would just hate to move him and then have Hudson have a set back and KK wilt a bit and then be short pitching.

As far as the lineup goes the one spot I think the Braves really need immediate help is 1B. Kotchman and his ~750ish OPS isn't really getting it done. Apparently the Braves had scouts at a recent White Sox game looking at Konerko who is an upgrade but also brings some serious salary addition. It looks like the Nats might move Dunn who has played some 1B and would be a huge add offensively for basically the same money as Konerko.

The question is what would the Braves have to give up to get an impact player at 1B? Kotchman + ? to the Nats for Dunn? They get a young, cheap 1B if they aren't in love with Nick Johnson. I don't know that that makes a ton of sense but I am trying to spitball some ideas around.
manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #282
Fonkey123
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Fonkey123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MARRY ME!!!
Posts: 12,336
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

Didn't I read the nats were shopping Dunn somewhere?

MPB: There is 0% chance we keep the bullpen staff together. Soriano should be on the block as well, since his value probably won't be higher.

Moving to the NL has surely helped vasquez and his FIP numbers are always sick good (he is a pitcher sabermetricians always say performs WAY WORSE than his stats indicate). I agree with shopping Vasquez, but if the right deal doesn't come along then keep him and start Hudson in the bullpen. KK is the only guy of the 5 starters now I can see moving to the pen.
Fonkey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #283
C-Viggity
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
C-Viggity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: GOOD FEELING
Posts: 28,606
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

I really wanna go to the game tonight but the traffic combined with AC Milan in town should be a disaster
C-Viggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:17 PM   #284
LurchySoprano
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LurchySoprano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,282
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
Every now and then I like to read through the comments section from Braves articles and blogs in the AJC. The comments lately have been focusing on trade deadline stuff mostly.

I am not sure where I stand on this year to be honest. If Hudson comes back healthy the Braves have 6 quality starters.

JJ
Lowe
Hanson
Vasquez
KK
Hudson


Does Hudson come back starting in the bullpen? Seems like it would be a good way to ease him back in and the Braves could use the extra arm out there. To be honest, I don't think its fair to expect much, if anything, out of Hudson.

As far as trades go Hanson and JJ are untouchable and Hudson/Lowe/KK won't bring value, leaving just Vasquez as potential trade bait. His value has never been higher and he is probably due for a regression but he has been outstanding this year. I think he is signed through next year as well. I would just hate to move him and then have Hudson have a set back and KK wilt a bit and then be short pitching.

As far as the lineup goes the one spot I think the Braves really need immediate help is 1B. Kotchman and his ~750ish OPS isn't really getting it done. Apparently the Braves had scouts at a recent White Sox game looking at Konerko who is an upgrade but also brings some serious salary addition. It looks like the Nats might move Dunn who has played some 1B and would be a huge add offensively for basically the same money as Konerko.

The question is what would the Braves have to give up to get an impact player at 1B? Kotchman + ? to the Nats for Dunn? They get a young, cheap 1B if they aren't in love with Nick Johnson. I don't know that that makes a ton of sense but I am trying to spitball some ideas around.
In terms of the pitching staff, I think they'll keep Lowe, Hanson, and Kawakami for sure. Hudson has a $12 million option for next year which sounds like it will get picked up. I actually think they might try to trade Jurjens as they could a.) get a ton for him and b.) he's a Boras client which the Braves hate to deal with. I doubt that's what they end up doing but if they want to get a young impact bat that's probably the best move.

With all that said, I agree that Vazquez is the most likely candidate to be moved after the season. He's basically having a career year and he's locked up next year for a relatively cheap amount at $11 million.

They do need to improve the offense and I agree 1B is probably where they'll look to make a move. Kotchman + a few prospects seems to be the obvious upgrade.
LurchySoprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:01 PM   #285
Fonkey123
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Fonkey123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MARRY ME!!!
Posts: 12,336
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

YUNELLLLLL!
Fonkey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #286
hard2tel
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
hard2tel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Athens
Posts: 15,745
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

I'm assuming Hudson's option is a team option? Why would the Braves pick that up? He's 34 years old coming off a serious injury. No way he's worth 12mil...especially with the depth of this staff.

Last edited by hard2tel; 07-22-2009 at 08:07 PM. Reason: yunel for god
hard2tel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:41 PM   #287
manbearpig
Pooh-Bah
 
manbearpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,754
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurchySoprano View Post
In terms of the pitching staff, I think they'll keep Lowe, Hanson, and Kawakami for sure. Hudson has a $12 million option for next year which sounds like it will get picked up. I actually think they might try to trade Jurjens as they could a.) get a ton for him and b.) he's a Boras client which the Braves hate to deal with. I doubt that's what they end up doing but if they want to get a young impact bat that's probably the best move.

With all that said, I agree that Vazquez is the most likely candidate to be moved after the season. He's basically having a career year and he's locked up next year for a relatively cheap amount at $11 million.

They do need to improve the offense and I agree 1B is probably where they'll look to make a move. Kotchman + a few prospects seems to be the obvious upgrade.

Getting someone to take Lowe or KK would be near impossible probably, especially KK. Hanson is obv untouchable. JJ should be untouchable as well imo.

The Hudson option is apparently mutual and is tied to some sort of innings pitched number this season. Not exactly sure how that works but the option is for $12 mil or a $1 mil buyout. I am not sure what the FA SP market will be this offseason but if Hudson pitches well in Aug/Sept you would think he could get 12 from someone next year. Maybe the Braves extend him through 2011 or something for less money per year.

We are in agreement Kotchman + ? would be great for the Braves but who is looking for a young but cheap, non power hitting 1B?
manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #288
C-Viggity
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
C-Viggity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: GOOD FEELING
Posts: 28,606
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

easily the high point of the bravos season is this little heater and beating lincecum.

keep it up bravossssss
C-Viggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #289
crooked2412
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
crooked2412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: i wanna dance with somebody
Posts: 11,277
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

and the low point had to be this past half inning?
crooked2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #290
TJ Eckleburg12
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TJ Eckleburg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 11,185
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

Is Adrian Gonzalez rumored to be potentially available?

I'd like to go after him if we could. I know Casey's playing better lately but I just don't see how Crotch-man fits into our long-term picture.

...especially since we clearly love negotiating with Kevin Towers, lol.
TJ Eckleburg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #291
Phildo
doesn't watch the games
 
Phildo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: champagne room
Posts: 22,773
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Eckleburg12 View Post
I'm just saying let's see Wieters do it above the AAA level for a year or two or three or four (like Mac has) before we go crowning him.
the problem is that you're looking it as a "list the 50 best players in mlb" series. it is not. you can tell because pujols is not number one.

i'm assuming you have no problems with tommy hanson being on the list above a bunch of pitchers that have pitched better than him, even though he's only pitched 48 innings in mlb? or does the fact that he's run hot as balls over those 48 ip make him acceptable on the list?
Quote:
And Mac has a very reasonable contract as well, considering how utterly awesome he is.
um yeah that's why he's sixth?
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:22 AM   #292
hard2tel
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
hard2tel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Athens
Posts: 15,745
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Eckleburg12 View Post
Is Adrian Gonzalez rumored to be potentially available?

I'd like to go after him if we could. I know Casey's playing better lately but I just don't see how Crotch-man fits into our long-term picture.

...especially since we clearly love negotiating with Kevin Towers, lol.
Kotchman is signed cheap through 2011..no way he's going anywhere. Same thing with Gonzales.

Nice to see the Braves come back after than disappointing game against SF and beat the Brewers. Hopefully we can keep it rolling. Tommy pitching Sat holla
hard2tel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #293
Borgland
Pooh-Bah
 
Borgland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Unimatrix Zero
Posts: 4,024
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

17 hits against Milwaukee last night. Wow they are on a roll.

I think Kotchman fits in nicely in this lineup, especially at 7th or 8th. Plus as mentioned he's cheap and signed for 2 more years and I think shouldnt be traded unless it's a upgrade at 1B. If Paul Konerko's contract is affordable and the asking price is reasonable that would be a good trade. He's hit 18 HRs so far.

6 more trading days remain!
Borgland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #294
manbearpig
Pooh-Bah
 
manbearpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,754
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

MLB Trade Rumors has had a couple snippets talking about the Braves trying to make a move for Troy Glaus to stick at 1B.

He hasn't played at all this year and from what I have read it appears he has sucked at the plate during his rehab and has had some back spasms as well. He wouldn't be cheap either, as his salary for this year is just over $12 mil. If the Cards picked some of the remainder of what he is owed up and he can be had for a B-level prospect maybe it makes sense to take a flier.
manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #295
hard2tel
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
hard2tel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Athens
Posts: 15,745
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

screw glaus...kotchman for mvp imo
hard2tel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:13 PM   #296
soonereagle
adept
 
soonereagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: where urls are forbidden
Posts: 914
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

nice to see us actually beat the Marlins for once

on ESPN.com, Olney talks about some small trade we might do but its ESPN Insider so i cant read it, anyone know what he was talking about?
soonereagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:12 AM   #297
manbearpig
Pooh-Bah
 
manbearpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,754
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonereagle View Post
nice to see us actually beat the Marlins for once

on ESPN.com, Olney talks about some small trade we might do but its ESPN Insider so i cant read it, anyone know what he was talking about?
Nothing specific. All it says is the Braves might add bullpen help.

In other news, the Braves released Jeff Bennett after he requested it.

And in other happy news, lol samplesizaments but yes please to continuing these type numbers:

Check Heywards AA stats
manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:12 AM   #298
hard2tel
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
hard2tel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Athens
Posts: 15,745
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

haha wow at those stats. what a beast. I thought he was gonna get a cup of coffee next year and start in 2011. Now he seems to be in line to start coming out of spring training next year lol

Looks like Freeman is doing aight too.
hard2tel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:47 PM   #299
manbearpig
Pooh-Bah
 
manbearpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,754
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

Kotchman for LaRoche I guess?
manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:49 PM   #300
Fonkey123
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Fonkey123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MARRY ME!!!
Posts: 12,336
Re: Atlanta Braves 2009 Thread

laroche> kotchman
Fonkey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online