Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Fantasy Sports Discussion of Fantasy Football, Fantasy Baseball, Fantasy Basketball and Fantasy Hockey.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #1251
BillyPhelan
grinder
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 630
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlydo2days View Post
At the same time, the Department of Justice, which is also probing the matter, is expected to take some action before the end of the year, a well-placed DC source told The Post.

The Department of Justice will move to declare daily fantasy site activity gambling, the source said.
The NFL itself has no investment in the daily fantasy sports sites nor does it have any partnership deal. No NFL team logos are used on the sites.




Umm, isn't the Post a joke? Let's hope so.



People fought for our freedom so we could play DFS and now the tyrannical gov't wants to take it away.
The Post is Owned by Fox which is pro/invested in DFS.The real joke is the uber liberal,uber permissive,uber hypocritical New York Times whose hysterical misinformed articles and editorials spurred this publicity hound to action.This whole mess started as an accusation of insider trading and has extrapolated to a complete ban of the industry in the near future without a shred of evidence of wrongdoing.

Witch hunt's are the order of the day in the new America.''Victims'' must be protected with or without due process.Why didn't DK/FD have the good sense to bribe this prick Schhneiderman like the casinos did?
BillyPhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #1252
BillyPhelan
grinder
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 630
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlydo2days View Post

People fought for our freedom so we could play DFS and now the tyrannical gov't wants to take it away.
Hence the famous words of Patriot Patrick Henry.
''Give me DFS or give me death''

P.S.He's an American Patriot not a DB for New England.
BillyPhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:50 AM   #1253
Onlydo2days
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16,056
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyPhelan View Post
The Post is Owned by Fox which is pro/invested in DFS.The real joke is the uber liberal,uber permissive,uber hypocritical New York Times whose hysterical misinformed articles and editorials spurred this publicity hound to action.This whole mess started as an accusation of insider trading and has extrapolated to a complete ban of the industry in the near future without a shred of evidence of wrongdoing.

Witch hunt's are the order of the day in the new America.''Victims'' must be protected with or without due process.Why didn't DK/FD have the good sense to bribe this prick Schhneiderman like the casinos did?
If it wasn't this, it was gonna be something else though.

I can't believe the industry didn't see this coming.

The main reason I thought legality wouldn't be a problem is because the sites made it seem like there was 0% chance of it being a problem at all. Just made sense to think "They have a commerical on every 30 seconds, no way they're worried about any type of gov't crackdown, got big media/big sports leagues special interests, etc"
Onlydo2days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:51 AM   #1254
CohibaBehike
Pooh-Bah
 
CohibaBehike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: LS Life
Posts: 3,651
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

Patriots do have a lot of douche bags though.
CohibaBehike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #1255
Chippa58
veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,259
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlydo2days View Post
If it wasn't this, it was gonna be something else though.

I can't believe the industry didn't see this coming.

The main reason I thought legality wouldn't be a problem is because the sites made it seem like there was 0% chance of it being a problem at all. Just made sense to think "They have a commerical on every 30 seconds, no way they're worried about any type of gov't crackdown, got big media/big sports leagues special interests, etc"
If and when its over, I'm not going to say gg. Because as you say, they played their hand terribly. Imagine if their ad campaign was more of a tutorial about the skills you need to acquire to succeed at DFS....along with resources needed to get those skills. Instead, their ads practically screamed "GAMBLING!!!!". Now they want to play the skill card. Let's hope the industry has some really good lawyers who can lay out a case. The sites themselves don't seem to have anyone capable of doing so.
Chippa58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #1256
cb92
centurion
 
cb92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 145
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

I'm interested to see how this fight goes. There's just too much money involved for these sites to just vanish. If every state or the feds decide they're gambling, it might actually be good for other forms of gambling like sports betting and online poker- DFS will be fighting for them inadvertently and the gov't will have to either make it all legal or none of it legal
cb92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #1257
Onlydo2days
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16,056
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb92 View Post
I'm interested to see how this fight goes. There's just too much money involved for these sites to just vanish. If every state or the feds decide they're gambling, it might actually be good for other forms of gambling like sports betting and online poker- DFS will be fighting for them inadvertently and the gov't will have to either make it all legal or none of it legal
None of it legal sounds about right.

According to the Post the NFL is backing off, not a good sign.
Onlydo2days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:13 AM   #1258
CanadaPete
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 525
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlydo2days View Post
At the same time, the Department of Justice, which is also probing the matter, is expected to take some action before the end of the year, a well-placed DC source told The Post.

The Department of Justice will move to declare daily fantasy site activity gambling, the source said.
The NFL itself has no investment in the daily fantasy sports sites nor does it have any partnership deal. No NFL team logos are used on the sites.




Umm, isn't the Post a joke? Let's hope so.

People fought for our freedom so we could play DFS and now the tyrannical gov't wants to take it away.

No the post is an actual paper and what they report is generally true. The just sensationalise it a bit...I guess there is still time to stop it. The main way is if the doj thinks the case is tough to win or if it's wildly unpopular (but they obviously don't care about popularity much unless it will hurt their power long run)
CanadaPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:17 AM   #1259
IlluminatedK
old hand
 
IlluminatedK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Slightly above ev
Posts: 1,455
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread



IlluminatedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #1260
BillyPhelan
grinder
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 630
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

DK has hired powerhouse NY lawyer Randy Mastro to handle the case,what exactly can he do? And has our preening phony schmuck Gov.Andy Cuomo issued a statement yet.I know he's very busy being the bottom boy for the green and casino lobbies, but surely he has to comment one way or the other.
BillyPhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #1261
BillyPhelan
grinder
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 630
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

[QUOTE=BillyPhelan;48643584]DK has hired powerhouse NY lawyer Randy Mastro to handle the case,what exactly can he do?

They have also hired David Boies,rake is gonna go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up.
BillyPhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #1262
SpursDynasty
grinder
 
SpursDynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 564
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

Got emails from DK and FD about assemblyman Marc Levine wants to ban dfs in California.
SpursDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:02 PM   #1263
IlluminatedK
old hand
 
IlluminatedK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Slightly above ev
Posts: 1,455
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

thread needs more protesting imo
IlluminatedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #1264
TheNonPareil
veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,021
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

http://espn.go.com/chalk/story/_/id/...-daily-fantasy

NY Post wrong again
TheNonPareil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:46 PM   #1265
lerz
centurion
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 167
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...raftkings.html

DK's legal injunction has a few interesting details, but mostly same old DFS rhetoric. They are claiming that the AG "misread" NY gambling laws, DFS is a skill game that is not based on chance or the outcomes of sporting events, and that AG has bullied their payment processors to stop accepting users from NY. DK also complained that they weren't notified about being investigated in NY.
lerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:04 PM   #1266
lerz
centurion
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 167
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

month of Sept. - "DraftKings ads have aired a skull-clutching 16,259 times over the course of the month, which works out to 135 hours and 25 minutes of 30-second spots. That's more than five and a- alf days, or a full work week, of commercial messaging that's been hammered out in the span of a 29-day period..."

"FanDuel ads have aired 9,463 times since Sept. 1. That translates to nearly 79 hours of total airtime, or a little north of three days..."

http://adage.com/article/media/draft...el-spe/300658/
lerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #1267
Joe Tall
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Joe Tall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: @JoeTall
Posts: 16,924
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

You aren't going to find @OpReport or Chris Grove share these articles as they do not support detractors of DFS:

Department of Justice will not weigh in on DraftKings, FanDuel controversy


Why Fantasy-Sports Sites Can Ignore Schneiderman for Now
Joe Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:20 PM   #1268
lerz
centurion
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 167
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

Does DFS need some kind of ranking/handicap system where average players get a few extra lineups per entry like strokes on a golf course?
lerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:22 PM   #1269
34TheTruth34
Mark's Dirty Sanchez
 
34TheTruth34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,416
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

Quote:
A daily fantasy sports company not named DraftKings or FanDuel has called out the New York State Attorney General. Andrew Busa, Founder and CEO ofFantasyHub, says that New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman has improperly targeted the daily fantasy industry while turning a blind eye to gambling and casino companies that line his pockets.

The attorney general’s office says the donations had nothing to do with the genesis of its investigation. “The law is very clear, in our view. We have not considered any factors outside of the laws we cite in our letters,” a spokesman told Law Blog.

lolz
34TheTruth34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:39 PM   #1270
TheNonPareil
veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,021
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

Yeah that was pretty awesome
TheNonPareil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:46 PM   #1271
CanadaPete
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 525
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerz View Post
https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...raftkings.html

DK's legal injunction has a few interesting details, but mostly same old DFS rhetoric. They are claiming that the AG "misread" NY gambling laws, DFS is a skill game that is not based on chance or the outcomes of sporting events, and that AG has bullied their payment processors to stop accepting users from NY. DK also complained that they weren't notified about being investigated in NY.
I think they should emphasize the predetermined prizes argument. That makes it more like a contest than a "bet". In reading the coverage the New York Times keeps using the term bet to refer to an entry fee (probably because their main author on this subject has never played fantasy sports.).

Also, the main reason sports betting is not allowed at the federal level is the prospect of game fixing. In DFS with all the lineup combinations such scenarios cannot occur.
CanadaPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:47 PM   #1272
CalledDownLight
Toonces the Posting Bot
 
CalledDownLight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DUKE FOOTBALL<DUKE BASKETBALL
Posts: 88,404
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

I've sent emails to both my senators, house representative, and attorney general. I encourage you all to do the same.
CalledDownLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #1273
mavsfan4ever
old hand
 
mavsfan4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,498
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

I will try to summarize what I think Lerz was trying to state, but was doing a very poor job of doing by using terrible analogies:

The fact that 1% of players win all the money does not necessarily mean that DFS is a skill game. This is because a small portion of the players could be playing a ton more entries than the average player. Obviously, this does not mean that the players playing 500 entries in a tournament are long time winners, but for the above stat they would be "winning" most of the money, just because they have a large percentage of all the entries. Therefore, just because 1% of all players win all the money, does not necessarily mean it's a skill game (many of those 1% of players could be overall losers).

As an easy hypothetical: If I and 99 other players enter a tourney and only buy 1 entry, and Player X enters that same tourney with 10,000 entries, Player X will almost always "win all the money." So the above stat would be true. 1% of the players won all the money, even though Player X is likely losing money overall (he won't win first every week, he's buying too many entries, etc).
mavsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:03 PM   #1274
Joe Tall
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Joe Tall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: @JoeTall
Posts: 16,924
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerz View Post
Does DFS need some kind of ranking/handicap system where average players get a few extra lineups per entry like strokes on a golf course?
You can always buy more lineups. These two things do not compare.
Joe Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:05 PM   #1275
electrickshiite~
adept
 
electrickshiite~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: driving range
Posts: 806
Re: DFS Industry Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Tall View Post
Isn't ignoring the problem in the first place part of the reason DK/FD are in this mess to begin with, also Joe, amongst all of your industry shilling has it ever occured to you that perhaps the AG has a specific reason to target only FD/DK with these allegations? FD/DK were ordered to turn over records, evidence, etc to the AG, just wondering if you can admit that there could there be a slight, albeit remote chance that that investigation found something amiss as a reasoning for this C&D order?
electrickshiite~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive