Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Poker Theory General poker theory

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #1701
NoSurprises
old hand
 
NoSurprises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,742
Re: Pokersnowie question

You used to have the option in challenge mode to see villains cards at the end of the hand - they would briefly flash up - has this option now gone?
NoSurprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:14 PM   #1702
Dbk_killer
journeyman
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 224
Re: Pokersnowie question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSurprises View Post
You used to have the option in challenge mode to see villains cards at the end of the hand - they would briefly flash up - has this option now gone?
Unfortunately yes. I wrote them a detailed email outlining the reasons why it's a terrible decision and asking to bring it back. Their response:

"Thanks for contacting us and also your very comprehensive feedback.

Unfortunately it was for security reasons that we had to remove this feature. Our technical team is working on a solution, however at this time we can't be certain about when they will be able to restore it.

Please rest assured that I'm going to pass on your comments and feedback to our development team.

We apologize for any inconvenience."



Pretty unsatisfactory response and this was in early November last year.
Dbk_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #1703
NoSurprises
old hand
 
NoSurprises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,742
Re: Pokersnowie question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbk_killer View Post
Unfortunately yes. I wrote them a detailed email outlining the reasons why it's a terrible decision and asking to bring it back. Their response:

"Thanks for contacting us and also your very comprehensive feedback.

Unfortunately it was for security reasons that we had to remove this feature. Our technical team is working on a solution, however at this time we can't be certain about when they will be able to restore it.

Please rest assured that I'm going to pass on your comments and feedback to our development team.

We apologize for any inconvenience."


Pretty unsatisfactory response and this was in early November last year.
A bit strange to remove a feature from a product that players have already paid up front for.
NoSurprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:46 PM   #1704
tuccotrading
adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,194
Re: Pokersnowie question

When will Snowie come out for Android devices?
tuccotrading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #1705
brbrbrbr
journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 261
Re: Pokersnowie question

I think I found a situation where Snowie is inconsistent with its own logic.

As I understand it, Snowie picks a single bet size for all the range, even if some hands could be more profitable with a different bet size. This is so that the whole range can be as profitable as possible.

So this is the situation, only 0.25 pot or all in for 0.62 pot bets are in consideration. Snowie says 0.25 pot size is the best, and then calls with the entire range. With the 0.62 pot bet (actually raise) size, it raises 38% of hands and calls with 62%.

So, if 0.25 size if the most profitable for the whole range, and we never raise, surely we can achieve the same result by also never raising all-in. After all, what is the difference if we didn't raise 25% pot or we didn't raise 2 pot.

So, it looks like Snowie thinks that 0.25 ps raise is the best, but also that 0.62 is even better than the best. This can't be right.
brbrbrbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:39 AM   #1706
brbrbrbr
journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 261
Re: Pokersnowie question

Snowie the great checker.


9 in the pot, we have 5 left behind, on the river opponent checks to us on the 9TQ78 no flush board. We have QJ, Snowie thinks checking is worth 64, and going all in is worth 48, a 16 big blinds difference, so it checks.

Range advice says we should only go allin with KJ, and when going all in, we would have 7% KJ and 93% bluffs. It thinks that at the river after checking, opponent can only have QT Q9 and Q7.

"Showdown strength" says that QJ has 89% equity before betting, and 70% equity after going allin and being called.

None of this makes sense. In fact, the 3 pieces of information are not consistent between themselves.
brbrbrbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:24 AM   #1707
mrno1324
veteran
 
mrno1324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 2,608
Re: Pokersnowie question

wow you figured out Snowie is not perfect and is especially flawed on rivers. Well done, you are the first.
mrno1324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #1708
brbrbrbr
journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 261
Re: Pokersnowie question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrno1324 View Post
wow you figured out Snowie is not perfect and is especially flawed on rivers. Well done, you are the first.
Oh, thank you.

I think this is more than being not perfect. More like having a bug somewhere, or there is something going on that we are not told about.

Take the first example. I was under impression that Snowie selects a bet size so that the whole range gets to be as profitable as it can be. Then, if with the selected bet size, it is checking the whole range, surely the other bet sizes can be equally profitable if it also checks the whole range. But if this (not used) bet sizing bets 30% of the hands, those hands should be played more profitably by being bet, so that the whole range is then more profitable. So, why was this other bet size not selected instead?
brbrbrbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #1709
mrno1324
veteran
 
mrno1324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 2,608
Re: Pokersnowie question

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbrbrbr View Post
Oh, thank you.

I think this is more than being not perfect. More like having a bug somewhere, or there is something going on that we are not told about.

Take the first example. I was under impression that Snowie selects a bet size so that the whole range gets to be as profitable as it can be. Then, if with the selected bet size, it is checking the whole range, surely the other bet sizes can be equally profitable if it also checks the whole range. But if this (not used) bet sizing bets 30% of the hands, those hands should be played more profitably by being bet, so that the whole range is then more profitable. So, why was this other bet size not selected instead?
Why? This conclusion is not trivial.
mrno1324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #1710
mrno1324
veteran
 
mrno1324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 2,608
Re: Pokersnowie question

Actually I see your point. Can you give an example of a spot when this happens?
mrno1324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:49 PM   #1711
Kevinhaggy
newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 28
Re: Pokersnowie question

I was just playing a 9max 1-2 game with poker snowie. One of the hands I was in the hijack postion and had pock jj, an open raiser made it 5$ and i 3betted it to 17. After i looked at my results it said it was a bad -ev play. I also 4betted with pocket kk and that was also negative ev. Are these plays wrong or should i take poker snowie advice with a grain of salt. Just got this app, is it any good for learning gto play?
Kevinhaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:12 AM   #1712
Brokenstars
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Brokenstars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Check out my PGC!!!
Posts: 12,277
Re: Pokersnowie question

with grain of salt, gl
Brokenstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #1713
mike1270
adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 935
Re: Pokersnowie question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinhaggy View Post
I was just playing a 9max 1-2 game with poker snowie. One of the hands I was in the hijack postion and had pock jj, an open raiser made it 5$ and i 3betted it to 17. After i looked at my results it said it was a bad -ev play. I also 4betted with pocket kk and that was also negative ev. Are these plays wrong or should i take poker snowie advice with a grain of salt. Just got this app, is it any good for learning gto play?
where these bet -EV or just lower EV than snowies advice?

I think reviewing all your "blunders" in snowie can be helpful for most players.

It doesn't play GTO so I wouldn't say it is good for that exact purpose
mike1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:49 PM   #1714
kyang314
centurion
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 181
Re: Pokersnowie question

Does pokersnowie require an active internet connection?
kyang314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:17 AM   #1715
ArtyMcFly
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ArtyMcFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Enchantment Under the Sea
Posts: 11,938
Re: Pokersnowie question

Yes, it needs an internet connection, to log you in, and to look up the strategy. (You don't have its "solutions" stored on your hard drive. They are in the cloud.)
ArtyMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #1716
+VLFBERH+T
grinder
 
+VLFBERH+T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: at the crossroads
Posts: 645
Re: Pokersnowie question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyMcFly View Post
Yes, it needs an internet connection, to log you in, and to look up the strategy. (You don't have its "solutions" stored on your hard drive. They are in the cloud.)
Oh, is this a come back?
+VLFBERH+T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:58 PM   #1717
mrno1324
veteran
 
mrno1324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 2,608
Re: Pokersnowie question

Quote:
Originally Posted by +VLFBERH+T View Post
Oh, is this a come back?
Arty’s been quite active in the forums lately. Apparently he got retirement coaching from Fedor Holz.
mrno1324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #1718
ArtyMcFly
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ArtyMcFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Enchantment Under the Sea
Posts: 11,938
Re: Pokersnowie question

Ha, well played. I also have an active internet connection and didn't have much else to do for a few days. Not sure I'd call it a comeback (yet).
ArtyMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #1719
jglsd1
veteran
 
jglsd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,442
Re: Pokersnowie question

So, I play 40-60BBs on various US sites (usually 50) and Snowie says to open hands like KJo/QJo for a minraise from UTG/HJ but not 55, 44, etc. It favors x9s, QJo type hands vs PPs--help me wrap my head around this. It advocates things like cold calling with suited broadways OTB but NOT PPs. Like...I don't get it. And yeah, yeah, A2s-A8s is soooooo incredibly powerful in EVERY situation (yeah, yeah, blockers, I get it. Um, give me 55 over A2s as a minraise open any day of the week) and according to it you should like, NEVER flat PPs unless it's like 88-TT in the SB multiway. Try this for yourself. Give yourself a 50BB stack at 50NL and see what hands it says to open for a minraise. See what hands it says to flat a 2.5x open with OTB. Seems fishy, no?
jglsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #1720
getmeoffcompletely
old hand
 
getmeoffcompletely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,351
Re: Pokersnowie question

More equity and blockers is better against tough opposition. You're not going to make much if any money by opening 22-44 from UTG against good players. Same for low suited connectors. A lot of the time you'll just get set over set or flush over flush or straight over straight.

People have a general preference for low pairs and low connectors because they are easier to play and because weak players will stack off with inferior hands, but OOP against strong players they are very borderline. Also those type of hands do well in multiway pots, but snowie doesn't play much multiway pots. HU the raw equity and pair potential of KJo is better than the nut potential of 65s.

As for the flatting try looking at how aggressively snowie squeezes. When you factor in rake + high frequency squeezes + strong postflop play most hands become unprofitable flats.

Now of course in reality you're not playing against snowie so in your likely soft and fishy games you can get away with opening 22 from UTG and flatting 33 to an open and playing lots of multiway pots etc. You just need to realize that is only because you're playing in soft games.
getmeoffcompletely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #1721
jglsd1
veteran
 
jglsd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,442
Re: Pokersnowie question

^^^^

You nailed it, thank you. I have little more to add as you addressed all of my concerns. I just am sick of flopping jack **** with weak suited aces, getting RIO with QJ/KJo, etc.

Since my soft opposition doesn't squeeze nearly as much as snowie, I think I'll go back to flatting PPs and seeing what happens, and I really like opening 22 vs QJo, A2s, because I win with PPs (apparently I know how to play them correctly) and am actually losing with my weak suited aces (35k hand sample). I play 20/17/6 fwiw. Trying to improve every day. I'd like stats of 21/19/7ish. But overall I'm happy with my play and I think Snowie is a great tool for developing solid PF ranges. Sometimes the "theory" gets in the way of the practice is all. VS Snowie, yeah, flatting with 22-55 PPs/opening them UTG is bad. But vs weak competition I'll take those hands over QJ/KJo. is Thanks again, this has been the most helpful subforum for me on 2p2!
jglsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:11 PM   #1722
Frogman3
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,037
Re: Pokersnowie question

This is what you have to do . Try out snowie's stuff but be willing to reject things if they are not working for you . Also remember that everything is somewhat linked like the profitability of opening certain hands is dependent on you playing them postflop in a certain way also . If you try to take one piece of advice and isolate it then it may not work . Like for example snowie opens all suited aces but part of that is having those hands in your 4b range . Well if you're not aware of when snowie wants you to 4bet and you just fold or call against 3bets all the time then that may change the EV of opening those hands
Frogman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:57 PM   #1723
ohmyrage
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 811
Re: Pokersnowie question

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbrbrbr View Post
I think I found a situation where Snowie is inconsistent with its own logic.

As I understand it, Snowie picks a single bet size for all the range, even if some hands could be more profitable with a different bet size. This is so that the whole range can be as profitable as possible.

So this is the situation, only 0.25 pot or all in for 0.62 pot bets are in consideration. Snowie says 0.25 pot size is the best, and then calls with the entire range. With the 0.62 pot bet (actually raise) size, it raises 38% of hands and calls with 62%.

So, if 0.25 size if the most profitable for the whole range, and we never raise, surely we can achieve the same result by also never raising all-in. After all, what is the difference if we didn't raise 25% pot or we didn't raise 2 pot.

So, it looks like Snowie thinks that 0.25 ps raise is the best, but also that 0.62 is even better than the best. This can't be right.

I think this is more a function of What hands does villain have in his range that can call. If Villain gets to the river with a TON of bluff catchers (Hero has a range advantage) then betting small puts most of villains range in a tough spot. If we instead use a larger sizing, We allow villain to make easy folds with a ton of bluff catchers
ohmyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:02 AM   #1724
silverware
newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 39
Re: Pokersnowie question

Random Snowie question. I've been playing on the challenge mode a little bit. Is it possible to take my HH from there and put it into my Poker Tracker? (Directly clicking import on the files doesn't seem to work, unfortunately.)

Also, do you know if it's possible to get my hands from the mobile app to show up on Snowie on my computer?

Last edited by silverware; 05-02-2018 at 01:08 AM.
silverware is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:46 PM   #1725
Krisssss
grinder
 
Krisssss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 570
Re: Pokersnowie question

Hi, are avable an official contact on 2+2 for pokersnowie? thanks
Krisssss is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online