Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Poker Theory General poker theory

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #1
mongoose0141
newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 18
3bet or fold from the SB

Hey guys.

Recently I've been reading about playing a 3bet or fold strategy form the SB. The idea is that is minimizes position disadvantage and creates more heads up pots. What do you guys think of this strategy? How wide should we be 3betting if we're going to play 3bet or fold?

Just looking for some insight from someone with more experience than me.
mongoose0141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:16 PM   #2
Bob148
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: far too young and clever
Posts: 8,561
Re: 3bet or fold from the SB

Quote:
What do you guys think of this strategy?
I think it's a necessity in tough games, where you'll be squeezed at a high rate if you call, but I also think it misses lots of exploitive calling value in soft games, where you'll be squeezed at a negligible rate if you call.

Quote:
How wide should we be 3betting if we're going to play 3bet or fold?
Put in lots of work with an equity calculator vs different ranges to get a good idea of when, why, and which size you should be 3 betting preflop from the small blind.
Bob148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:46 PM   #3
Evoxgsr96
old hand
 
Evoxgsr96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern Lights
Posts: 1,905
Re: 3bet or fold from the SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob148 View Post
Put in lots of work with an equity calculator vs different ranges to get a good idea of when, why, and which size you should be 3 betting preflop from the small blind.
Reminds me i should be using equilab more often for these preflop spots, hand vs range equities like tournies right? (haven't played those in darn ages)

But villain's 3! calling range and opening range are different things to consider.
Evoxgsr96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
ArtyMcFly
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ArtyMcFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Enchantment Under the Sea
Posts: 7,398
Re: 3bet or fold from the SB

You shouldn't do much calling in that position, but the range of hands you can play (mostly by 3-betting) depends on who opens.
e.g. If UTG opens for 2.5bb in a 6-max game, you might call 2% (mostly TT-77 and some suited Broadways or AQ) and 3-bet 8% for a total of just 10%. You can't play many hands profitably in that situation, because UTG's range is tight/strong to begin with, so you don't want to bloat the pot OOP unless you've got a lot of equity against him.
If the BTN opens, however, you might call with nothing at all, but 3-bet 17% of hands (a range that looks a lot like the range you might typically open UTG), because you know the BTN's opening range is much wider/weaker than UTG's.
ArtyMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #5
ZKesic
journeyman
 
ZKesic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 386
Re: 3bet or fold from the SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyMcFly View Post
If the BTN opens, however, you might call with nothing at all, but 3-bet 17% of hands (a range that looks a lot like the range you might typically open UTG), because you know the BTN's opening range is much wider/weaker than UTG's.
17% is closer to MP opening range for most people.

Also, I kinda like calling wide SB vs UTG, since BB won't really 3b often.
ZKesic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:26 PM   #6
ArtyMcFly
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ArtyMcFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Enchantment Under the Sea
Posts: 7,398
Re: 3bet or fold from the SB

I don't disagree with that, Kesic. I was just trying to give OP some ideas about what "optimal" play might look like. Personally, I don't 3-bet more than 10%. #nitbox
ArtyMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:16 PM   #7
MrFabulous
newbie
 
MrFabulous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 47
Re: 3bet or fold from the SB

I am not sure if op means tournaments or cashgame, but in early tournament phases especially and in multiway pots, i dont see a problem defending passively in the sb
MrFabulous is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online