Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Religion, God, and Theology Discussion of God, religion, faith, theology, and spirituality.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2017, 01:15 AM   #1
JohnyCrash
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,296
Will you be happy when World War 3 breaks out?

The beginning of the end, Armageddon just like your faith said would happen.
JohnyCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:26 AM   #2
dynamite22
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 210
Re: Will you be happy when World War 3 breaks out?



#jesusiscoming
dynamite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:23 AM   #3
carlo
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,455
Re: Will you be happy when World War 3 breaks out?

The New Jerusalem or the future being of Man:

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org...on-Chapter-21/
carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:58 AM   #4
th14
old hand
 
th14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,300
Re: Will you be happy when World War 3 breaks out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyCrash View Post
The beginning of the end, Armageddon just like your faith said would happen.
which faith?
Jesus said the end time would come in the generation of his Apostles, so Christianity is already wrong about Armageddon.
th14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:20 PM   #5
walkby
adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 712
Re: Will you be happy when World War 3 breaks out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by th14 View Post
which faith?
Jesus said the end time would come in the generation of his Apostles, so Christianity is already wrong about Armageddon.
I'm guessing that you're referring to Matthew 24:34. Here's a good explanation as to what Jesus meant when He said that.
walkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:19 PM   #6
tame_deuces
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tame_deuces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,117
Re: Will you be happy when World War 3 breaks out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkby View Post
I'm guessing that you're referring to Matthew 24:34. Here's a good explanation as to what Jesus meant when He said that.
So "this generation" means "some arbitrary future generation", and "you" (which is used in almost every line in that chapter) means "someone else"?

Because context?

That sounds convoluted.
tame_deuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:57 PM   #7
craig1120
old hand
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,650
Re: Will you be happy when World War 3 breaks out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkby View Post
I'm guessing that you're referring to Matthew 24:34. Here's a good explanation as to what Jesus meant when He said that.
That's misinterpreting a teaching about the subjective to be a teaching about the objective, or material world.
craig1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:06 AM   #8
ewiz437
banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 59
Re: Will you be happy when World War 3 breaks out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tame_deuces View Post
So "this generation" means "some arbitrary future generation", and "you" (which is used in almost every line in that chapter) means "someone else"?

Because context?

That sounds convoluted.
isnt that the traditional thinking, "anything can mean anything", but not accept the pbvious meaning of course.
ewiz437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:31 AM   #9
Black Peter
veteran
 
Black Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Pass
Posts: 2,868
Re: Will you be happy when World War 3 breaks out?

Black Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #10
festeringZit
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,302
Re: Will you be happy when World War 3 breaks out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkby View Post
I'm guessing that you're referring to Matthew 24:34. Here's a good explanation as to what Jesus meant when He said that.
Um, that's a bad and wrong answer to the question.

Jesus was referring to the sacking of Rome, and the destruction of the
Jewish temple in 70 AD.
festeringZit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:50 PM   #11
DeuceKicker
Pooh-Bah
 
DeuceKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Poker analogies are the nut low
Posts: 4,857
Re: Will you be happy when World War 3 breaks out?

I grew up in a Millennial religion in which every person, place, and thing had an immediate and future application, and every prophecy had a major and minor fulfillment. If a grasshopper landed on King David's foot, it had a deep and profound 20th-Century meaning.

If WWIII broke out, we would have been terrified of the immediate situation, but publicly would tell each other how excited we were that the end of Satan's wicked old system was coming to an end. Every regional skirmish, every earthquake, every kitten caught in a tree was proof that the end was nigh.
DeuceKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #12
tame_deuces
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tame_deuces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,117
Re: Will you be happy when World War 3 breaks out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceKicker View Post
I grew up in a Millennial religion in which every person, place, and thing had an immediate and future application, and every prophecy had a major and minor fulfillment. If a grasshopper landed on King David's foot, it had a deep and profound 20th-Century meaning.

If WWIII broke out, we would have been terrified of the immediate situation, but publicly would tell each other how excited we were that the end of Satan's wicked old system was coming to an end. Every regional skirmish, every earthquake, every kitten caught in a tree was proof that the end was nigh.
That sounds like it could leave some scars...
tame_deuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:13 PM   #13
DeuceKicker
Pooh-Bah
 
DeuceKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Poker analogies are the nut low
Posts: 4,857
Re: Will you be happy when World War 3 breaks out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tame_deuces View Post
That sounds like it could leave some scars...
I made it out OK, with the exception that I'm in my 40s and I have to hide the fact that I'm an atheist or my family will be forced to shun me. I have two sisters with special needs and I can't risk getting cut off from them. It also sucks when they call me crying because someone has told them I'm going to die at God's Righteous Day of Judgment.

But yeah, I've heard from two psychologists who say depression and other mental health problems are amazingly high among this group, which is weird because they're very anti-psychology so I'm sure a ton goes undiagnosed.

When I left I joined a discussion forum for ex-members and it was pretty brutal because so many people were really, really angry. If someone posted "saw a lovely sunrise this morning" it led to a 300-post flame war.
DeuceKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #14
tame_deuces
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tame_deuces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,117
Re: Will you be happy when World War 3 breaks out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceKicker View Post
I made it out OK, with the exception that I'm in my 40s and I have to hide the fact that I'm an atheist or my family will be forced to shun me. I have two sisters with special needs and I can't risk getting cut off from them. It also sucks when they call me crying because someone has told them I'm going to die at God's Righteous Day of Judgment.

But yeah, I've heard from two psychologists who say depression and other mental health problems are amazingly high among this group, which is weird because they're very anti-psychology so I'm sure a ton goes undiagnosed.

When I left I joined a discussion forum for ex-members and it was pretty brutal because so many people were really, really angry. If someone posted "saw a lovely sunrise this morning" it led to a 300-post flame war.
Sad to hear that not all issues are resolved, but good to hear that you're out - because groups like that demolish people.
tame_deuces is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online