Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Religion, God, and Theology Discussion of God, religion, faith, theology, and spirituality.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #101
BeaucoupFish
Pooh-Bah
 
BeaucoupFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Touched by His Noodly Appendage
Posts: 4,223
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

Doh!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
BeaucoupFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #102
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 29,285
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjr777 View Post
Youíve taken everything you ďlearnedĒ in school as fact without actually proving anything on your own...
You make many assumptions about me.

Quote:
You basically follow a religion of scientism, a belief system of what others have told you.
Amusingly, I've argued against "scientism" in many posts around here.

Quote:
Research flat earth for your self. Donít take my word for it. Thereís a growing number of people waking up to the fact we donít live on a spinning ball and came from monkeys.
I have. I think it's nonsense and that the arguments presented are nonsense. More importantly, I didn't even discuss flat earth in my post.

Quote:
ďCondemnation before investigation is the height of ignoranceĒ
Have you investigated this quote yourself? I'd like you to explain how you've reached your conclusion.

Quote:
I went to universities and I know the official scientism, but upon digging deeper thereís a lot more to discover.
Why should I accept that this is true?
Aaron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #103
craig1120
old hand
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,803
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaucoupFish View Post
Yes, dogma is prob the wrong word, although there are definitely some authority figureheads in the movement (who are often making money from the movement).
Yeah, I didn’t state that quite right. It’s more anti establishment rather than just mistrust of authority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaucoupFish View Post
What I really meant was that many reasons given for holding the position are discovered after the position is already in place, a lot like certain apologist arguments. In which case, eliminating these reasons won't change someone from holding the position.
Yeah. The consequences of believing the Earth is flat (or round) for the average person are minimal. For many, a lot of the passion is likely based in a past experience of feeling betrayed or deceived and projecting that onto others, basically arguing with a past version of yourself. “Why don’t you question things more you sheep!” It’s an over compensation for a past trauma. That can’t be broken through by reason/facts, even if both sides are acting as if reason/facts are what is determining the belief.

At the same time, there is some truth to it. Like I said, I don’t see the skepticism as a bad thing at all. It’s a necessary step to a more healthy relationship with truth.
craig1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:35 PM   #104
rjr777
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: flat earth
Posts: 244
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1120 View Post
Yeah, I didnít state that quite right. Itís more anti establishment rather than just mistrust of authority.


Yeah. The consequences of believing the Earth is flat (or round) for the average person are minimal. For many, a lot of the passion is likely based in a past experience of feeling betrayed or deceived and projecting that onto others, basically arguing with a past version of yourself. ďWhy donít you question things more you sheep!Ē Itís an over compensation for a past trauma. That canít be broken through by reason/facts, even if both sides are acting as if reason/facts are what is determining the belief.
Itís not about ďbeliefsĒ

Thatís the whole point. Scientism has created pseudoscience that is based on everyone ďbelievingĒ scientists.

None of us know for sure what the theory of relativity is and thatís the whole point Iím trying to make. Weíve just accepted it... I once too accepted it.

I am a flat earther and not a ďgimmickĒ account.

I didnít just wake up one day after 5.5years of being a member to just decide to troll everyone w this.

I have looked into it and for various reasons I think itís flat and part of a ďglobalĒ deception to bring us away from Devine creation and having us fight anongst ourselves and live in a hetonistic world full of self pleasure (not judging Iím guilty of this too)

Hereís how I got to the conclusion of flat earth..

Was bored at work one day and started researching 9/11 watched too much YouTube and realized history is written by the victors so you pretty much canít trust any of it.

I went down the 9/11 rabbit hole and then other historical events like Gulf of Tonkin USs liberty and a bunch of other false flag events that were no longer conspiracies but actual things that happened that were once considered ďconspiraciesĒ. The federal reserve and the book jekyl island and actual historical accounts.

I graduated a top 40 university and I realized how everyone is in love with this fake education system that passes off a lot of stuff as facts when they are theories. (Evolution, dinosaurs, Big Bang, gravity)

This lead to flat earth which may or may not be a psy-op or controlled rollout, with controlled opposition (see flat earth society).

The more evidence that I look into the more I know itís flat and motionless.
rjr777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:44 PM   #105
rjr777
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: flat earth
Posts: 244
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaucoupFish View Post

A 19th Century experiment that fails to find the aether (thought at the time to beer the media for light waves)?
= sufficient to 'prove' a stationary Earth (despite the authors themselves not concluding anything of the sort).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The result of the test was null which means no movement was detected

I made the conclusion either the test was flawed or the earth really is motionless

Iím open minded enough to consider both possibilities are any of you??
rjr777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:49 PM   #106
rjr777
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: flat earth
Posts: 244
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Position View Post
Hmmm...maybe this is why Trump won. Too much aether got the media drunk.
Why do you care about trump seriously?

Why does anyone care about this troll?

Why do you fall for this false paradigm?

I really donít get how anyone could be pro or anti trump... I realize about 90% of people fall for it but it still boggles my mind.

For the same reason you fall for the set up of the false paradigm you will never see flat earth. Youíre incapable until you see both sides are pushing the same agenda.

Anyone who is pro trump or anti trump simply does not understand the military indsutrial complex and international banking cartel that runs the governments.

They simply donít understand history and how things work. Iím not saying I have some full understanding, but I know enough to know itís at very least a false paradigm thatís designed to keep us divided.

Why canít people see this?

Anyone?
rjr777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:26 PM   #107
craig1120
old hand
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,803
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1120 View Post
Yeah, I didn’t state that quite right. It’s more anti establishment rather than just mistrust of authority.


Yeah. The consequences of believing the Earth is flat (or round) for the average person are minimal. For many, a lot of the passion is likely based in a past experience of feeling betrayed or deceived and projecting that onto others, basically arguing with a past version of yourself. “Why don’t you question things more you sheep!” It’s an over compensation for a past trauma. That can’t be broken through by reason/facts, even if both sides are acting as if reason/facts are what is determining the belief.

At the same time, there is some truth to it. Like I said, I don’t see the skepticism as a bad thing at all. It’s a necessary step to a more healthy relationship with truth.
To continue, what distorts this process is the victim mentality rather than taking ownership/responsibility for our own despair. The victimhood, while it frees us from the burden in the short term, transforms the skepticism into paranoia, which has a greater cost over the long run.

The best way to help someone in this situation is to model resiliency. Resiliency is another name for sacrificing in the present for a greater gain in the future, which is a description of faith. It indicates trust that reality and humanity are redemptive and good. Otherwise, why accept any cost in the present ever by giving up the victimhood?

You model what it looks like to never play the victim. You don’t complain in front of these people or criticize them. If they criticize you, you just swallow it, don’t hold a grudge, and don’t seek to get even. Through your actions, you have to insist on playing a bigger game. You play their game, then you confirm their worldview. Over time, you gradually pull them up into your game through exposure to your behavior. That’s when they begin to divorce themselves from the victim mentality and can get back on track.
craig1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #108
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 29,285
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjr777 View Post
The result of the test was null which means no movement was detected

I made the conclusion either the test was flawed or the earth really is motionless

Iím open minded enough to consider both possibilities are any of you??
Are you open-minded enough to consider a third possibility?
Aaron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:49 PM   #109
rjr777
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: flat earth
Posts: 244
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1120 View Post
To continue, what distorts this process is the victim mentality rather than taking ownership/responsibility for our own despair. The victimhood, while it frees us from the burden in the short term, transforms the skepticism into paranoia, which has a greater cost over the long run.

The best way to help someone in this situation is to model resiliency. Resiliency is another name for sacrificing in the present for a greater gain in the future, which is a description of faith. It indicates trust that reality and humanity are redemptive and good. Otherwise, why accept any cost in the present ever by giving up the victimhood?

You model what it looks like to never play the victim. You donít complain in front of these people or criticize them. If they criticize you, you just swallow it, donít hold a grudge, and donít seek to get even. Through your actions, you have to insist on playing a bigger game. You play their game, then you confirm their worldview. Over time, you gradually pull them up into your game through exposure to your behavior. Thatís when they begin to divorce themselves from the victim mentality and can get back on track.
Nice motivation speech.. but if you know itís flat why donít you want to spread the truth and wake people up so we can stop being the victim. I mean if you are lied to on a false premise and everything you do in life is about money and being enslaved why not wake people up so we can reach a tipping point and get out of the debt slavery. You can only serve one master God or money.
rjr777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:50 PM   #110
rjr777
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: flat earth
Posts: 244
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron W. View Post
Are you open-minded enough to consider a third possibility?
Go ahead explain a 3rd option?

Judging by your 25k posts youíve spent more time talking than listening
rjr777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:54 PM   #111
rjr777
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: flat earth
Posts: 244
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1120 View Post

At the same time, there is some truth to it. Like I said, I donít see the skepticism as a bad thing at all. Itís a necessary step to a more healthy relationship with truth.
Please explain?

Are you a psychologist?

Why canít you just speak in simple terms and explain clearly?
rjr777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:57 PM   #112
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 29,285
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjr777 View Post
Go ahead explain a 3rd option?
I'm challenging the construct of "I made the conclusion either the test was flawed or the earth really is motionless" as being a false choice. So in this case, I'm asking you whether you're open-minded enough to believe it's possible that "the test was not flawed" and "the earth is not motionless"?

Quote:
Judging by your 25k posts youíve spent more time talking than listening
Judging by your posts in this thread, you spend more time talking than thinking.
Aaron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:09 PM   #113
rjr777
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: flat earth
Posts: 244
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron W. View Post
I'm challenging the construct of "I made the conclusion either the test was flawed or the earth really is motionless" as being a false choice. So in this case, I'm asking you whether you're open-minded enough to believe it's possible that "the test was not flawed" and "the earth is not motionless"?



Judging by your posts in this thread, you spend more time talking than thinking.
Im here to help wake people up and seek truth.. not sure what youíre doing...

Clearly just trolling 28k posts...

I mean how can you post that many times and yet say nothing of any substance?

Why is everyone here to argue instead of investigate for themselves? Letís just leave it at that. All Iím saying is donít have a blind faith in things and wquestion for yourself. What is so wrong w this premise?

In between my posts Iím researching things and planning on a way to perform my own tests so that I can make this whole thing a lot more credible. Iíve been going to meet ups with other flat earth activists with plans on reaching out to more people.

I finally found a cause worth looking ďcrazyĒ and ďbeing a victimĒ over
rjr777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:27 PM   #114
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 29,285
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjr777 View Post
Im here to help wake people up and seek truth.. not sure what you’re doing...
I'm here to help woke people find elementary logic.

Quote:
I mean how can you post that many times and yet say nothing of any substance?
I don't know. I don't speculate. I just logic.
Aaron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:44 PM   #115
rjr777
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: flat earth
Posts: 244
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron W. View Post
I'm here to help woke people find elementary logic.



I don't know. I don't speculate. I just logic.
The difference between me and you is that Iím trying to help you and thatís what flat earth has opened my eyes to... I see you as a victim as my equal side by side and I wonít ever give up on you or anyone for that matter.

Even when you troll me and try to hurt me i will come back with as much understanding as I can find. I understand you have been brainwashed to believe you live on a spinning ball and came from monkeys and you think itís ok to eat flesh and other animal products. I get it. It once was me. Iím not judging.

When you realize feces and puss and blood is in cows milk you wake up and realize weíre not meant to ingest this stuff not to mention what it does to your intestines... my point is..

Wake up
rjr777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:56 PM   #116
well named
poorly undertitled
 
well named's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: esse est coesse
Posts: 75,149
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

I'm not usually too big on taking pride in one's ancestry, but I have to say lactase persistence is fantastic. Thanks cow domesticating ancestors!
well named is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:10 PM   #117
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 29,285
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjr777 View Post
The difference between me and you is that I’m trying to help you
You're right. I'm not trying to help me. That does make us different.

Quote:
I see you as a victim as my equal side by side and I won’t ever give up on you or anyone for that matter.
That's fine. I'm still waiting for you to logic.

Quote:
Even when you troll me and try to hurt me i will come back with as much understanding as I can find.
Well... good luck with that. So for, the amount of understanding you've been able to find has fallen short of elementary logic.

Quote:
I understand you have been brainwashed to believe you live on a spinning ball and came from monkeys and you think it’s ok to eat flesh and other animal products. I get it. It once was me. I’m not judging.
What you don't seem to understand is that the logic question has nothing to do with spinning balls and monkeys. It's literally just abstract logic. You claimed "Either A is true or B is true" and asked whether anyone was open-minded enough to accept that. I'm just asking you whether it's possible you're wrong (A and B are both false).

Quote:
When you realize feces and puss and blood is in cows milk you wake up and realize we’re not meant to ingest this stuff not to mention what it does to your intestines...
I'm sorry you're lactose intolerant. I see you as a victim of some type of cosmic lottery. That, and maybe you don't know bovine anatomy very well. Unless you think "feces" is something different than what most people call it.

You see... there are these "tubes" inside of the cow. Feces goes through one tube. Milk goes through another. They don't really intersect or exchange contents. By analogy, think of a nursing mother's rectum and her breasts. Do you think the two systems exchange contents somewhere?

Now, if you want to say that there's bacteria in milk, then we can have a different conversation.

Quote:
my point is..

Wake up
Your point is lost on me.
Aaron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:07 AM   #118
uke_master
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,726
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

honestly wasn't expecting vegan. Like flat earther + creationist go hand in hand, but the triple intersection?
uke_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:42 AM   #119
BeaucoupFish
Pooh-Bah
 
BeaucoupFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Touched by His Noodly Appendage
Posts: 4,223
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjr777 View Post
The result of the test was null which means no movement was detected

I made the conclusion either the test was flawed or the earth really is motionless

Iím open minded enough to consider both possibilities are any of you??
I'm willing to bet, like every other Flat Earther, that you'd never heard of this nor any other experiment that gets brought up, before you became one. I'm also willing to bet that you came to the position that this particular experiment PROVES the Earth is motionless before ever looking at the experiment itself. In fact it's highly likely you've still never looked at the write-up of the actual experiment.

Like every other Flat Earther, you've accepted something you were told by a third party because it already appeared to agree with your position. You've accepted something that was never concluded by the experiment designers themselves.

I myself am trying to manage my own irrational position. Mine is that I think all I have to do is show a FE'er why a single specific reason they've claimed is actually NOT the case, and they'll go away and look into it, eventually dropping it from their set of reasons. Note that this isn't confronting the underlying belief that the world is flat. Just a single reason that supposedly supports that position.

Do you remember your reaction to the video I linked earlier, that showed how anyone could test whether the horizon rises to eye level or not? You did everything you could to avoid considering it or even explaining how it helped YOUR case.

You call yourself open minded. You are decidedly not.

However, for reasons unknown, I have a soft spot for Flat Earther's. Perhaps it's the challenge of showing them one thing they're demonstrably wrong about being accepted!

What part of the world are you from? You're almost certainly a big fan of John Smith channel am I right? I am as well (it's a sickness, I've prob watched almost every video), though definitely for very different reasons.


Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
BeaucoupFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:31 AM   #120
BeaucoupFish
Pooh-Bah
 
BeaucoupFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Touched by His Noodly Appendage
Posts: 4,223
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjr777 View Post
Wake up
How about this, rjr:

What do you currently think is true about the world and reality, that if you discovered you were likely wrong about (however that might end up happening), you would no longer be able to consider Flat Earth was the case (or at the very least, have to seriously reconsider)?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
BeaucoupFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:14 AM   #121
rjr777
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: flat earth
Posts: 244
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaucoupFish View Post
How about this, rjr:

What do you currently think is true about the world and reality, that if you discovered you were likely wrong about (however that might end up happening), you would no longer be able to consider Flat Earth was the case (or at the very least, have to seriously reconsider)?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
If Iím wrong and you can prove weíre spinning 1000mph at the equator and traveling 66,000mph around the sun then then I will once again ďbelieveĒ I live on a spinning ball floating in space.
rjr777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #122
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 29,285
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjr777 View Post
If Iím wrong and you can prove weíre spinning 1000mph at the equator and traveling 66,000mph around the sun then then I will once again ďbelieveĒ I live on a spinning ball floating in space.
This comes back to the more fundamental question: What to you is "proof"?

For example, you've made the following claim:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjr777 View Post
South is Antarctic ice wall. Think North Pole is like the center of a cd and South Pole is the rim of the cd. The map works whether we live on a ball, realm, or a disc. Itís what aviation and navigation uses.
How did you "prove" this?
Aaron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #123
rjr777
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: flat earth
Posts: 244
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron W. View Post
This comes back to the more fundamental question: What to you is "proof"?

For example, you've made the following claim:



How did you "prove" this?
I didnít prove anything.. (there are proofs that Iíve looked at) was merely stating thereís an alternative cosmogony that makes way more sense. The burden of proof falls on the people claiming weíre moving when I donít feel a thing. Simple as that.

All in saying is people should look into it.. if itís wrong then really thereís no harm.
rjr777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:13 PM   #124
BeaucoupFish
Pooh-Bah
 
BeaucoupFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Touched by His Noodly Appendage
Posts: 4,223
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjr777 View Post
If Iím wrong and you can prove weíre spinning 1000mph at the equator and traveling 66,000mph around the sun then then I will once again ďbelieveĒ I live on a spinning ball floating in space.
Neither of these being untrue would falsify a globe Earth - a non-spinning planet that does not detectably move relative to other celestial objects can still be a globe.

Now I'm beginning to think you're not actually sincere about Flat Earth!

And once again, science does not 'prove'. If there's anything we can get you to change your mind about, it might be to stop asking for scientific proof, it's a misnomer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaucoupFish View Post
Do you remember your reaction to the video I linked earlier, that showed how anyone could test whether the horizon rises to eye level or not? You did everything you could to avoid considering it or even explaining how it helped YOUR case.
Are you ever going to address this?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
BeaucoupFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:46 PM   #125
carlo
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,764
Re: Was the universe created by purpose or by chance?

I'm in late on this but please give the geographical rational that a plane can fly east from New York, continuing east and end up in China, or Arizona or back to New York.
carlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online