Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please

01-14-2010 , 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat
OP didn't assume anything. He simply asked why god caused or allowed it to happen.

If you made an attempt to answer the question, you failed. Feel free to try again.
1. You're not the OP.

2. This is a typical assumption most atheist posters make that God is always punishing. What if he's harvesting? What is threshing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threshing

In general atheists tend to side with the evil people in the bible in all arguments. Try asking yourself why you only identify with those people.
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexArcher
In general atheists tend to side with the evil people in the bible in all arguments. Try asking yourself why you only identify with those people.
Personally, I was rooting for Pharaoh. Sucks that those slaves got away...
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 11:35 AM
A threshing floor near Bethlehem: http://www.crivoice.org/phototour/pthresh.html
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour
1. You're not the OP.
I'm not the OP, but I can read! He asked a question, which you responded to, but gave no answer.


Quote:
2. This is a typical assumption most atheist posters make that God is always punishing. What if he's harvesting? What is threshing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threshing
Over +100,000 people dead, hundreds of thousands more left homeless and suffering That's not punishing?! What's with the threshing analogy? You're comparing an earthquake to harvesting grain?

Quote:
In general atheists tend to side with the evil people in the bible in all arguments. Try asking yourself why you only identify with those people.
YOU are the one assuming Slendour. You're assuming ulterior motives by atheists. I'm not assuming anything. I think it's a pretty straight forward worthy question that I often ask myself whenever monumental tragedies like this occur. Care to try answering it?
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pletho
The other thing though is that in order to become a Christian you have to confess Jesus Christ as your lord, your boss. So in doing so you are saying willingly that you will follow Jesus Christs directions, who follows Gods directions, so to that extent you have no freewill in the third heaven and earth.
So does this mean that Jesus is middle management?
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour
In general atheists tend to side with the evil people in the bible in all arguments. Try asking yourself why you only identify with those people.
If by "evil people in the Bible" you mean any of the people that your loving god killed, or ordered killed, for not worshipping him, and then sent to hell to suffer for eternity, then I suppose I do indentify with them.

Perhaps you should ask yourself why you indentify with a jealous, genocidal maniac. Maybe you should ask yourself why you put such unquestioning faith in a book that contradicts itself hundreds and hundreds of times. Maybe you should ask who compiled the first Bible and decided which stories made it in and which were left out, and what that person's motivations might have been. Maybe you should ask why the gospels that depicted Jesus as a mortal man were left out. Maybe you should ask yourself if blindly trusting the Bible as the word of god is a wise idea when the authors of the gospels that did make it into the Bible can't even agree on something as basic as Jesus's familial lineage.
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 01:13 PM
Who were the 5 Kings in the book of Joshua:
http://ft111.com/fivekings.htm
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour
1. You're not the OP.

2. This is a typical assumption most atheist posters make that God is always punishing. What if he's harvesting? What is threshing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threshing

In general atheists tend to side with the evil people in the bible in all arguments. Try asking yourself why you only identify with those people.
god is the most evil person in the bible by far, and i dont side with him.
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Actors
god is the most evil person in the bible by far, and i dont side with him.
Category error.

Read Job. In it God asks Job: are you my equal?
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Actors
god is the most evil sentient being in the bible by far, and i dont side with him.
there, now it's not a "category" error
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexArcher
If you don't believe that God caused the earthquake, why didn't God prevent it?
Why should he prevent it? Disasters like these bring out the best of humanity.
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Pidasso
Why should he prevent it? Disasters like these bring out the best of humanity.
no they dont. see Katrina.
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour
Your assumption is that death is punishing.
Splendour you should take a look at some of the pictures and video coming out of Haiti right now. If what those people are going through is not punishing there is no need for the word to exist.

There are mothers and fathers holding their dead children in their arms as far as the eye can see.

You people normally don't bother me but when things like this happen and you STILL try to hide behind the never ending excuse of 'God's will' and how we are just too feeble minded to understand it I really get tweaked. These people had an entire city drop onto their heads and you want to tell me that it is simply the will of this all knowing ever loving God that you pray to???
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour
Category error.

Read Job. In it God asks Job: are you my equal?
nit.
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Pidasso
Why should he prevent it? Disasters like these bring out the best of humanity.
if i could prevent it, i would
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Actors
if i could prevent it, i would
you're clearly not as benevolent as God.
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arouet
you're clearly not as benevolent as God.
clearly.
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arouet
Personally, I was rooting for Pharaoh. Sucks that those slaves got away...
well... God (OT God and Jesus) both thought slaves should mind their masters. So, technically, the slaves were the bad guys. Except this one time because it says so.. or something.
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurto
well... God (OT God and Jesus) both thought slaves should mind their masters. So, technically, the slaves were the bad guys. Except this one time because it says so.. or something.
they were too mean i think. you can have slaves, but...you cant be too mean to them. god hates that.
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 04:10 PM
On a side note .. Text "Haiti" to 90999 and a $10 donation goes to relief efforts for Haiti via Red Cross. The $10 will show up on your phone bill. It's totally legit and whats $10?

Quote:
As of midday Thursday, the Red Cross had raised some $3 million in donations via its text message campaign
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/01/14/c...ef.technology/
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittyit
On a side note .. Text "Haiti" to 90999 and a $10 donation goes to relief efforts for Haiti via Red Cross. The $10 will show up on your phone bill. It's totally legit and whats $10?



http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/01/14/c...ef.technology/
thank you for posting. They can't make it any easier.
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 05:12 PM
Quick question for theists: Pat Robertson has stated that Haiti was hit with the earthquake because they made a pact with the devil.

Sadly, I am unable to disprove this statement of his. And yet, I do not believe it is true. Does my inability to disprove his statement bar me from being justified in not accepting it? Or am I indeed justified in not accepting the statement?

And please explain your answer.
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexArcher
If by "evil people in the Bible" you mean any of the people that your loving god killed, or ordered killed, for not worshipping him, and then sent to hell to suffer for eternity, then I suppose I do indentify with them.

Perhaps you should ask yourself why you indentify with a jealous, genocidal maniac. Maybe you should ask yourself why you put such unquestioning faith in a book that contradicts itself hundreds and hundreds of times. Maybe you should ask who compiled the first Bible and decided which stories made it in and which were left out, and what that person's motivations might have been. Maybe you should ask why the gospels that depicted Jesus as a mortal man were left out. Maybe you should ask yourself if blindly trusting the Bible as the word of god is a wise idea when the authors of the gospels that did make it into the Bible can't even agree on something as basic as Jesus's familial lineage.
Well I've corrected this lineal contradiction at least twice before. How come it won't stick and how come people can't count Jesus' grandparents?

In the "Biblical Inerrancy" thread I posted:

A few weeks back I posted a John Piper essay explaining the "seeming contradiction" of the Gospel's accounts of Jesus' genealogy. He explained how by a superficial comparison of 2 Gospels they appear to refute one another when in reality they don't. One genealogy account is through one set of grandparents showing his biological lineage while the other account was through the other set of grandparents showing his kingly lineage.
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our House
Then we have to ask ourselves why an omni3 character values Free Will so much...even more than the elimination of suffering! What is it about our particular capacity to exercise free will (remember, our will isn't THAT free...we can't fly, etc.) that God holds so important?
Free will has a end goal, it is the freedom to choose to love God or not. Its the freedom to become a son of God.

Its amazing to me the stupid comments that are made by atheists on this forum, such as "we can't fly" so we do not have freewill. Thats one of the stupidest things I have heard someone say. Flying has nothing to do at all with freewill, it has to do with limitations and ability and physical laws.

If you want to play stupid games such as that with idea and such then you will never understand anything. Even though you think you already do?

Your comments make no sense whatsoever and have no bearing or relationship to freewill.

Our freewill has bounds that are determined by two things, the physical and spiritual laws.

Who set up these laws? Who else but God..........

If you knew and BELIEVED Gods word then you would know what these spritual laws and boundries are compared to the physical laws and boundries.

If I have to read another retarted comment like this from someone who claims to be intelligent, I think I will explode............
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote
01-14-2010 , 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat
I'm not the OP, but I can read! He asked a question, which you responded to, but gave no answer.




Over +100,000 people dead, hundreds of thousands more left homeless and suffering That's not punishing?! What's with the threshing analogy? You're comparing an earthquake to harvesting grain?



YOU are the one assuming Slendour. You're assuming ulterior motives by atheists. I'm not assuming anything. I think it's a pretty straight forward worthy question that I often ask myself whenever monumental tragedies like this occur. Care to try answering it?
The author of death is the devil not God, thats your mistake in understanding.

You believe that God caused this destruction but you are wrong it was actually god that caused the destruction, the god of this world is the devil and has the power to do this type of stuff.

God the creator does not do this type of stuff at all no matter what you think or anyone else. And if you think read things about Him doing such things, you are grossely misunderstanding the word and words of God.

Because you and everyone else on this forum DO NOT know how to rightly divide the word you always have no clue about what you talk about and always make many errors in your comments and questions regarding God because you have no SOLID FOUNDATION of truth to ask from......
Theists -- Explain Haiti to me, please Quote

      
m